Is drug addiction a disease or is that just an excuse for people incapable of taking responsibility for their actions?

Is drug addiction a disease or is that just an excuse for people incapable of taking responsibility for their actions?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4824640/
youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Park
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

there is no such thing as "addiction" to drugs, alcohol or any other controlled substance such as arabica... it's a fake word.

This guy has never touched a drug. Ignore this moron.

Addict here. Yes it's a disease, I never asked for this. I've been clean 4 years now. The reasons I started were legitimate pain and my addiction was through a doctor. With that said, the first time I took a painkiller it completed me, there was always some sort of dopamine deficiency, I didn't realize it until I took one. I think you know where it went from there. I never stole, I never did anything to hurt anybody, when I ran out I got sick till I could fill my next script.

4 years later? It's the first thought when I wake up, it's what I dream about. It never leaves you. Depends how you define disease, but it's not about willpower. This is something in the flight and flight category, it's a primitive lizard brain impulse, you can't "will it away", that's not how biology works. That would be like willing away the desire to breath oxygen.

Is it something youre born with? Yes and no. You are born very predisposed to addiction, but anything can trigger it. Once triggered you live with it for life, and it's a daily struggle.

Disregard any people who haven't experienced it first hand, they don't know. Again, my only sin was being born in pain and trying to stop that pain. For some they take it and it relieves their pain and they move on. For me it was like a deep love, it's hard to explain, when you stop it feels like losing a child.

Addict here, its a disease, its a dopamine deficiancy, i get addicted to several things, pot, junk food, fapping, that need will always be there no matter the drug used to correct it, i switched to clean eating and regular strenuous excercise, my body is now addicted to the high you get after a workout

There's no such thing as willpower or anything, free will is a myth, there's just an environment interacting with genes, some people are heavily predisposed to drug use and can't actually help it, so for them you could say it's a disease, but for some other people they just use them because they either want to or don't want to go through the pain of quitting, even though they could, so for them it's not a disease.

>just an excuse for people incapable of taking responsibility for their actions

Ignorance isn't less ignorant just because it has a veneer of masculinity and grit. This is a big flaw of American conservatives. Life is just a simple game of "muh responsibility" and it's just an overly simplistic way of viewing things.

>This guy has never touched a drug. Ignore this moron.
the addiction is part of the same chemical warfare as it happened to fire water and indians, but the chemicals themselves serve only very minor role magnified by military deception and narrative warfare. So they are providing poison and fake antidote for it. Remember how prominently one of such programs played a role in that movie (rainbow) "fight club". At the same time you have to understand something about uber alles rainbows - anything you can do they can do better. So if you can down half a liter of vodka they can donw 5 of such bottles and be sober in comparison to you.

drugs are an escape tool people use to leave this robotic lifestyle behind for a while.

Ex addict.

It's a pathetic excuse. Get your shit together you fucks.

It does help having someone to help though. If you are alone, it's pretty hard to change.

>i have literally no idea how brain or any other kind of chemistry works: the post
Tell you what i will personally pay for you to try heroin 3 times and then i wont pay for anything else. You tell me how you feel after that

>user
>be human bean
>all your actions are dictated to get your brain to reward you with delicious dopamine
>beneficial social interactions, a succulent chinese meal, being successful at things all get you a shot of dopamine
>but wait
>for five dollars I can just shoot this thing in your arm and you'll get the same reward

it takes true strength to give up drugs once your body became dependent on instant dopamine rewards

itt: weak faggots.

>has never had an addiction or tried any addictive substance more than once: the post
Be less edgy next time kid

>Tell you what i will personally pay for you to try heroin 3 times and then i wont pay for anything else. You tell me how you feel after that

any brain science is just cover for something that already dark territory of tar budgets. it's not about heroin. Anyone who works in any discipline that has something to do with "neuro-" prefix should be person of interest. It seems they used ruckus to legalize some sort of tar budget activity and bring it into open society.

>it's not about heroin

Only on Sup Forums you can find someone stupid enough to argue about chemical addiction.

You just lack willpower.

>beat addiction
>10/10 pain everyday
>more successful than you

itt: knee jerk insects incapable of logical thought

Well no shit, that's pretty much what makes addiction so hard to fight against. Doesn't make it any less valid problem.

What you say is similar to saying "you just lack legs" to someone sitting in a wheelchair.

Your performance art isn't in the least bit clever, and you are shitting up the entire board, yes every thread, worse than it was. Mods need to ban you.

For the most part, addiction is highly based on livestyle conditions. Happy individuals can use without as much consequences. That being said, most people are not truly fulfilled.

Vietnam had tons of use of heroin, opium, and other drugs...but only a minority of GIs came back as regular users. Shitty conditions breed drug use and people who come back to stable lives...stopped.

That being said, there is a lot of evidence to show some things are both physically, and emotionally, addictive. The body is very adept at becoming regularly accustomed to certain things.

Some things are more emotionally addicitve than physically. Nicotine, for instance, is way more an issue of ritualized emotional habits than actually physically addictive. We LOVE rituals as humans and do it for a lot of things.

So people miss the ritual of smoking while they drive, or after they fap, or after food, etc. Same goes for food for many people. Boredom eating is very common. Eating while watching TV, etc.

You also haven't been outside or touched a female in years.

>broken back
>doctor gives IV drugs
>you are edgy

Wewlad. Flag checks out. Anyway, i'm out, Sup Forums actually lowers your IQ, at this point it's all trolls, people bored of Sup Forums, rebbit invaders, shills and degenerate rejects. Nothing good ever comes out of "discussions".

To any of you "never lived life never tried anything" faggots, why don't you stop coming to this cancerous board? Are you addicted? No? Then stop. What's wrong? No willpower? Has your life gotten worse since you started coming here? Yes. But you still do it. Interdasting.

Que justifying your internet addiction, que "i just like it so I do it argument".

it's not a performance. it's not an art. Why do you shit martini stirring CIA homos hate freedom so much? Banning me? when board is suffocating by all the nazis, hitlers, white power, genocide peddling apartheid shitbags, etc..

No then I say the same thing.

>You also haven't been outside or touched a female in years.
1. this is just damage control and has nothing to do with the thread
2. i am a female and have a job and thus go outside all the time
3. iv probably had sex with more girls in the last 2 years than you have in your entire life

None of that has anything to do with the thread though and the fact you thought it did just proves how underage you are.

>>broken back
>doctor gives IV drugs
>you are edgy

What? iv had kidney stones before and was given morphine for 2 weeks straight in the hospital leaving me with a dependancy. Incase you cant read i was telling the person who i was talking to who said that addictions arent real and you just lack willpower that he was edgy.

You seriously need to learn how to read

Ex addict here. Shot heroin every day to not get sick. Now over 2 years clean. It's not a disease. Disease is just a concept made up so addicts can play victum

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4824640/

ever heard of dynamic vulnerability syndrome ?

No, he's right.
Drug users are faggots.
Just look at the statistics.
>use drugs
>more likely to be faggot
>more likely to be pozzed
>more likely to be incontinent

You are literally subhuman.

You're an adult (i hope), you can do whatever the fuck you want.

as an ex-heroin addict (7 years) i'd say it's a disease that literally makes people incapable of taking responsibility for the fucked up shit they did to get high. i know i couldn't, until a long time after i stopped

You learn what drugs are in school or college. That's mostly OK.
It becomes serious when you start taking drugs to cope with stress or pain. The step is often not a conscious one.
After that, it becomes a disease. Your drug addiction needs to be fed regardless of stress or pain.
The fight to get back to normal or at least sober is a long and hard one and often has to go hand in hand with saying goodbye to all your bad influence friends and even to loved ones.

I'm not bullshitting you, I went through all of that myself. Now I can't even take weed or alcohol for fun anymore, but that's OK as long as I don't go back to the state of the dark years.

Ask a brah with 4 mason jars of dank kush that doesn't smoke and thinks weed is degenerate anything

Required viewing

FWIW I did heroin for a good 2-3 months, sometimes a couple times a day sometimes only one, but I got tired of it and literally just stopped. Never injected though, and most people say that's the point of no return.

>get in accident
>go to hospital
>get loaded up with painkillers
>get dependancy from painkillers
>HAH U R LOSER

i dont even have a dependacy anymore that was almost 6 years ago and i kicked it after maybe 3 months.

>Stop projecting your feelings of dis-empowerment into self-destructive activities.

I avoid taking painkillers in any situation because I'm terrified of this exact thing. I hope you can learn to live with it more easily user

It's a heritable predisposition to any given mind-altering substance, this includes food such as sugar and casein and sex addiction. Your brain is phenotypical just like the rest of your body. You can choose to let it define you or rise above it.

You could have alerted your doctor/pharmacist when withdrawal was causing issues. They could have changed your dosage or moved you onto a non opoid painkiller.

>when withdrawal was causing issues.
I did. They helped me ween off of it but i still had to go back to the hospital to take whatever it was they were giving me. I was 16 at the time and having kidney stones in absolute agony, give me a break. You have no idea how much pain they cause and what you would do to end that pain. You dont think straight

"I am female"

Into the trash.

>NOBODY ELSE HAS EVER FELT PAIN. ONLY I HAVE EVER FELT PAIN
Sorry for calling you a faggot earlier. The vagina in your post reeks for miles.

>NOBODY ELSE HAS EVER FELT PAIN
>strawmanning this hard
Iv been told by other people who have had them it hurts like getting kicked in the balls repeatadly for however long it takes to pass them. Have you ever had a kidney stone before? Have you ever met someone who has? Ask them how they feel.

Yes

You don't belong here dyke.

>has faggot mental illness
>thinks she/he/it can have an opinion

You see what kind of people follow this line of thinking? Mentally ill dykes from canada.

Somehow you dont seem to realize you have no power here and i can post whenever i want ;) stay triggered

I have balls and have had kidney stones. The difference sweetie, is that kidney stones pass, and it isn't really that bad.

The type of pain people are taking strong narcotics for is a life long pain, not a little weekend vacation like kidney stones.

You have to go back to rebbit. I have total power over you, I am a man. Sweetie, did you just leave a smiley? You gon get doxxed to shit dear.

I'm not going to get into a dick measuring contest about the shit I've been through in life. Because that's just completely disingenuous.
>Have I ever felt pain that was so severe it was impossible to ignore?
Yes.
>Have I ever developed a physical dependence on anything?
Yes.
>Do I believe my own internalized suffering or an uncomfortable physical dependence is excuse to act like a neger?
No.

>is that kidney stones pass,
mine were stuck for 2 weeks, hence having to go to the hospital. They were 5x the size of normal ones
>I have total power over you
and yet here i am still posting. Its almost like you dont

I dunno about other people. I've never finished a prescription of pain killers, I usually end up returning at least half the bottle, I feel no impulse to keep taking them. The same is true of every recreational drug I've ever taken, and alcohol. I don't understand people who get addicted to them, but I'm not going to say they're weak willed or anything.

It's a combination of both, actually. The first several times you exhibit abusive use of a substance, it is, in most cases, a very conscious choice and you have total autonomy over your choice. If you make the wrong choice three or four or five times, the desires of your brain's pleasure centers become almost (yes, ALMOST) too powerful to overcome and statistically, you become an addict. But make no mistake: at several stages along the way, every addict had the ability to choose no, but they didn't.

This is coming from an alcoholic. I recognized where I was going every step of the way and decided I was willing to live as an alcoholic. At the time I didn't realize how depressing and miserable it is to be an alcoholic. I simply hadn't experienced many of the downsides. But I had alcoholics in my family (grandpa died from liver disease) and was aware of the path I was following.

>excuse to act like a neger?
Show me where i acted like a nigger or said it was excusable to do so.

>Not aspiring to be a chainsmoking alcoholic who dies of liver failure like Grandpa.
Is traditionalism kill?

Ahhh poooor baby two whole weeks.

>buuut doctew sayd dat dey were weary bewg dey were da biggest he ever seen

Yet they only hurt for two weeks.

>it's almost like you don't

Yet here you are replying to me. It's almost like you've never used the internet before.

Get triggered and say some stupid shit now. I'll wait.

You're just about as edgy as the kidney stones i had to pass. You're trolling is pretty weak btw, i suggest you lurk more and apply yourself next time.

You are extremely triggered that a female has come to your all boys club and now that you realize theres nothing you can do to make me go away you've gone into full damage control mode. How pathetic

Around 2013 I was becoming more and more depressed and decided I had to quite smoking and drinking. I drank about half a mickey a day at the time and smoked half a pack of cigarettes a day. How I long for the days when that was the extent of my addictions. But I was so miserable that I decided I had to quit one of them. I chose cigarettes and successfully quit without only one relapse two years ago. I don't crave cigarettes anymore at all. But if I could go back in time, I would quit drinking and quit smoking for sure.

And any alcoholic who tells you they don't recognize the romantic perspective of dying from alcoholism is lying. And also, being an alcoholic is actually horrific. All the romance is gone for me now.

*and KEEP smoking instead of drinking

No, we just don't find any merit to your plea for sympathy.
We've watched countless videos of people being beheaded while they were alive and conscious. People being beaten to death. People being lit on fire. People being stoned to death. People being executed with chainsaws. When it comes to physical pain you're just a pleb like the rest of us. A lucky person living a cushy life in a privileged part of the world. (for now).
>hah you're just mad because I have a vagina
not an argument. Tits or GTFO.

>blah blah blah
>only interesting thing about me is tits and vago
tits or gtfo.

>plea for sympathy
im not expecting sympathy on Sup Forums nevermind Sup Forums. I was merely explaining the circumstances in which a normal person can end up in the hospital and have a dependancy to pain killers.

0/20 really nigger apply yourself

>a normal person
>normal
>normies

>Female
>Canada
definitely a trap

>there are 0 females in canada
I dont even know how to reply to that

I'm not unsympathetic. I do know people who have overcome addictions. To worse things than Morphine even. I've also known people who didn't overcome their addictions and paid the toll for that. But yeah. Don't expect a fucking trophy for it.

I'd sooner give out a "getting it right the first time" award.

When you were born, did you have a penis?

According to my age I am an adult but I feel im lacking in the mental department. Maybe we should have force concription so we can all become men like you fins. Helvete!

It's both, and more.

Narcotics are a means of Social Engineering to get rid of 'undesirable' elements. And that does not me getting rid of the underclass, but rather

If you are different, then by fear conditioning you're demeaned, which lead to anomie (social erosion), which culminates in escapist behavior such as drugs/games/gambling....

>BT Kiddushin 66c: “The best of the gentiles: kill him; the best of snakes: smash its skull; the best of women: is filled with witchcraft.” The uncensored version of this text appears in Tractate Soferim (New York, M. Higer, 1937), 15:7, p. 282.

Did somebody say, suomi?

well they're responsible for choosing to do drugs in the first place

>missing the entire context of the conversation
some sperg accused me of never touching a female so i simply corrected him. You clearly dont understand the context in which tits or gtfo applies. Dont accuse people of being forever alone virgins if you dont want to have them prove you wrong.

>When you were born
>do you have a penis
maybe

>Don't expect a fucking trophy for it.
i dont

>1993
You've a lot yet to learn youngling.
>i don't
okay. I'm glad we cleared that up then.
But back to the argument at hand, your experience only supports the notion that being addicted to something doesn't rob you of your intellectual/moral agency. You're on Sup Forums being a faggot and not eating dick for oxy behind some half-way house.

>Women

>something doesn't rob you of your intellectual/moral agency
I mean when i was in withdrawl the side effects were insane and i would have done anything to get rid of them. It was pretty fucking scary.

Maybe i am weak because im not a big strong manly man, who knows.
>burgers

Jfc. Both of u are acting like niggers high on ape testosterone. STFU literally no one cares

Read this book. It will change everything.

We all know the worst addiction any Sup Forumsack has is internet addiction

My father smoked cigars and cigarettes for 20 years. The day I was born, he threw away his last pack and quit. Hasn't touched them for 20 years now. Maybe it varies from person to person, but...

I CAN QUIT ANY TIME I WANT

On a scale from 1 to Venezuela, how fucked are you?

A little of both.

>take addictive substance
>get addicted
>I never asked for this

I mean you kind of did

Give me a quick synopsis before i go out and download something that suspicious.

>testosterone.
im pretty low test senpai

nicotine is hard to quit for people with poor mental health because of it's deep and profound long term rewiring of the hypothalamus.

So someone with a pretty healthy mind the addiction will be worse than the normality you begin with.
People with certain forms of dementia and psychosis... research is actually under way in basing the next generation of antipsychotic meds on nicotine-like compounds. People with severe schizophrenia describe being able to light up a cigarette and basically stop an episode as it happens.
And of course everything is spectrum like my sex junk.

It might be a combination. In the case of opioids, on which I'm physically dependent and addicted (strong cravings), withdrawal symptoms are tantamount to a nasty cold, or a flu. I'm prescribed hydromorphone.

Depending on the opioid, the worst of these symptoms persist for no longer than one week, maybe two. For short-acting opioids like hydromorphone, they last for a days. Then cravings set in. Think nicotine cravings except more consuming. Cravings disappear if a person is preoccupied or socially engaged. At the moment, I lead a solitary life however that's something I'm changing. Social alienation or isolation definitely contributes to cravings. I plan to remain dependent, owing to multiple surgeries and bowel problems, but not addicted.

Run-of-the-mill addicts are, for the most part, weak in spirit and will.

Self-medicating in response to social or psychological dysfunction, or both.

Theodore Kaczynski was a university professor who perpetrated a series of bombings that killed 3 people in the 1990s.

He sent his manifesto to be published. Which was published at the behest of the police in the hopes that it would help somebody recognize his writing style (and it did, and his brother eventually lead the cops to him).

But the manifesto itself describes a coming dystopian vision of the future, and steps that need to be taken. It doesn't specifically advocate for further violence.

It just gives an interesting primitivist/syndacalist framework for a society to replace the industrial society we live in now after it's impeding collapse.

It's some next level redpilled shit. you can find it for free in pdf form everywhere. He's one of the most studied serial killers because of the fact that he wasn't just some random psycho, but rather a certified genius at the same time. Who could have gone on to live a comfy life within society but instead backed out of society.

You're pretty high on the autism spectrum though.

Its more of a syndrome. Mental disease isnt disease but there are some drugs which give you nasty withdrawals

Disease is something caused by bacteria
Anything else is an excuse
Have a nice day

Oh and he doesn't say a ton about drug addiction, but brings it up as sort of a mental illness that is prevalent and will become increasingly prevalent in a society that is ill.And he goes on to explain the reason why despite having such a cozy life in modern industrial society so many people just seem so dissatisfied with life that they are pushed towards drug addiction, and violence, etc.

i wish. im too emotional and empathetic and it gets me into trouble.

il look into it thx. It probably shares some of the views iv come to hold over the last 4 years or so browsing here.

What province you in? Be my Sup Forumsfu
jj
I honestly going by the usual political spectrum held a lot of apparently contradictory political beliefs, and it wasn't until I read that book that I was able to reconcile them into a single political camp.

Ironically enough my addiction stemmed from taking too much responsibility for my actions.

I was so determined to succeed that I started using amphetamine to boost my cognitive performance/get more work done. Then I started using alcohol and sleeping pills/benzos to come down from the speed.

I wanted to improve myself beyond what I was normally capable of, and it worked wonderfully for a couple of years before it all caught up with me.

I've never blamed anyone else for my addiction, I know it was self-afflicted.

As for my opinion on other addicts, I will never ever judge them. People have issues, come from shitty backgrounds, have shit stuff happen to them and find a way to cope. It's easy to look down on addiction if you've had an easy life without any real struggle.

You should never judge people because you don't know their story.

Drug addiction is a symptom of negative societal/familiar conditions OR low impulse control among individuals (which may be a byproduct of negative societal/familiar circumstances)

Drugs by themselves aren't bad, it's as retarded as thinking guns by themselves are bad.

The problem is how society chooses to ignore the root causes of addiction and focuses on blaming inert substances as the culprit of human problems

>In another experiment, he forced rats in ordinary lab cages to consume the morphine-laced solution for 57 days without other liquid available to drink. When they moved into Rat Park, they were allowed to choose between the morphine solution and plain water. They drank the plain water. He writes that they did show some signs of dependence. There were "some minor withdrawal signs, twitching, what have you, but there were none of the mythic seizures and sweats you so often hear about

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Park

>coming on Sup Forums
>not judging people

>addicted to benzodiazepines

addiction to opiates, i understand. you're just a stupid piece of shit with a weak, addictive personality if you are able to become addicted to benzodiazepines. you weak, spineless shit.

Alcoholic here.
To me its a dependency because if I'm not hammered I feel so bored and depressed. Working on it though. Pray for me boys.