Why is depression so common nowadays?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oXWgJSpvbic
youtube.com/watch?v=O85H5apA2ns
scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because Tumblr romanticized it so they can feel special

Because I'm NEET and have been waiting for 6 months to start working at the post office and I really want a script to adderall

it's not, attention seeking is more common nowadays.

Living standards are so high and problems are so few that people struggle to find enjoyment in life with the lack of hardship

Ignoring things like tumblr snowflakes, modern society leads to a feeling of having no power over your life. Everything important is guaranteed (food and shelter exist easily for anyone who isn't a mentally ill drug addict), thus anything you have seems superfluous.

Low test

It hasn't become more common. It's that people are more open to talking about it publicly so it seems more common.

Overpopulation is responsible for so many of the neuroses people experience nowadays. Limited space, fewer opportunities, difficulty fulfilling social roles, etc.

It's difficult to be depressed when you live in a small community and your contributions to it are rewarded and you feel valued.

Overpopulation dehumanizes individuals by stripping them off their importance as elements of society. Replaceable trash the majority of us.

literally this

take your fucking vitamin d as well

It's not. Narcissism is really common though.

degradation of tradition and declining religion leading to lack of meaning in one's life. existential crisis from everyone trying to flll that void with the pursuit of their hedonistic desires which is like trying to cure your depression with cocaine.

>this

I theorize that the reason urban areas are so liberal, LGBT, etc is because overpopulation triggers a biological response that affects things like survival instinct and the desire to continue your genetic line.

At least you are getting a job. I hope it goes well for you.

Jews.

Modern life is bleak. The fascination with social media has taken the attention of the majority from an external perspective to a very introspective world view, where once we saw the world from our eyes we now expect the world to see us. And when the expectation of self expression is not perceived by those that you wish to convey your sentiment to, or when it is disregarded people are becoming fearful that the lack of attention is legitimate inadequacy as an individual.

Thats why kids kill themselves because "h8rz". its basically thisReal depression is seeing the modern society and watching all the braindead majority carry on expecting to be validated by everyone and seeing them grow exponentially more narcissistic for no real reason. and knowing there is no way to reverse the path we have taken. There is literally no reason to live anymore. Life is vain, and even the soul is becoming superficial.

Death of religion, hypermaterialism, loss of interpersonal relationships, loss of tight knit communities.

That plus shitty lifestyles.

Also this. Its impossible to be depressed when everything to do ensures survival. Then suddenly everything has meaning.

Nice theory, too.

because trying to be nice gets you fucked.
that's what happened with the baby boomers when they realized how hippies are a bunch of scammers.

Bad gut flora.

I'm pretty sure this is the primary cause.

The modern diet contains almost no good bacteria and feeds bad bacteria a lot. Most people have a poor balance that can cause major physical and mental problems if disturbed too much.

In the past, people ate foods that were preserved by bacteria, like pickles, saurkraut, cheese, yoghurt, some meats, but now everything is preserved by pasteurisation or preservatives that indiscriminately kill good and bad bacteria. Most people will become temporarily ill if they eat traditionally preserved foods because it inflicts bacterial warfare on their gut.

I was severely ill for about 8 years after a course of antibiotics wiped out my gut flora, which I didn't realise could happen. I had problems with every part of my body and thought I was going to have to kill myself because there was no way I'd ever be able to live like this with the compounded effects of ageing.

Take good probiotics or preserve your own foods. There is literature on this.

Depression and conflict are modern inventions.

Conflict doesn't exist in nature. In chimp societies (Our closest living relatives), conflict doesn't exist, because there is hierarchy. The alpha automatically assumes respect from the other chimps; the beta chimps put their heads down, cover their groin, and act submissive. The females, likewise, play their own role as "Alpha parents" to the children. Without law, chimps live perfectly fine.

Without law, cities would fall into chaos, because the law fortified a system. Thieves only exist because they think they have legitimate claim to the stuff they steal; they fight for their treasures, because they don't recognize "Alphas", except for family members.

How this relates to depression, is that depression, likewise, is a byproduct of a socially-repressed society. Depression is loneliness and unrequited validation. How can you be validated in a society that you don't validate? Modern civilization has the appearance of a "society", but the validation that others give us is meaningless, because our bosses only pay us because they have to, and our wives only marry us and have our kids because they have to, and we have to pay taxes otherwise they will arrest us. We're given no room for genuine human-human socialization and validation. Without validation, we could be among millions of people yet feel so alone.

>The alpha automatically assumes respect from the other chimps

Any kind of long term alpha will necessarily be respected, otherwise they'd be killed by the betas as a group, but it isn't automatic.

Its not

Its more visible and has been given a name.

>Why is X so common these days

How do you go about getting adderall? What does it do? It's focus or is it motivation?

My life is falling apart around me. I sleep 10 hours a day. I can't figure out what motivates me. I sit and I fret as I watch the time go by and I'm not doing what I desperately need to do. I need to pay bills, go to work ect. I don't. I've always been clean, but now I'm a mess. Stuff on the floor, dishes in the sink.

But here is the most worrying thing. I am content. I've never been this comfortable in my life. I look around and I know it's wrong. How do I stop. I'm so comfortable. Happy. I'm ruining my life and I want to stop, in my head, but in my heart I am comfortable.

Help.

This to a huge extent.

A traditional remedy for depression (melancholy) was literally goose shit. Gut bacteria.

Chemtrails

We live in the most intensely stimulating age in the known history of mankind.
People grow up with instant gratification being the norm, and then get depressed when they realize the real world doesn't actually work that way.

Idealism, and leftist ideologies has turned us into pussies.

You think people didn't get depressed hundreds of years ago? Of course they did. The difference is they sucked it up, or they died.

Nihilism.

Cause people are faggots

youtube.com/watch?v=oXWgJSpvbic

>I can't figure out what motivates me
This is another huge problem with our current world.
For some reason people seem to think they need to be motivated to do things. Like if you don't want to do something you shouldn't have to do it.

Learn discipline, and you won't need motivation ever again.

>that picture
I can agree with that sentiment there seems to be like 22 different personalities for males and 5 for females

if you actually want a proper answer to that question you have to ask yourself what the reasons for for depression are.

Maybe I did this wrong. I meant the thing.
Does money motivate me? No. Why work
Does love? No. Why work
Does status? No. Why work
Does friendship?
Validation??
Self respect should do it, but it doesn't.
Even spite would be acceptable.
I have such a hard time doing thing not because I don't want to do them. I want to care about something. The thought and the action are separated by my lack of motivation

>Overpopulation dehumanizes individuals by stripping them off their importance as elements of society.
This is succinct and true. This nonsense about being a unique type of pervert or otherwise being "oppressed" is all about creating a tightly-knit society to the exclusion of all others. Of course it backfires horribly.

>even the soul is becoming superficial.
Essentially why atheism is becoming normalized. It's not just for edgy fucks anymore.

>severely ill for about 8 years after a course of antibiotics
You wot m8? Do provide details. For the good of all.

>soul crushing materialism, rampant anti-white sentiment, broken political systems, replacement of whites in Europe and North America, the death of meritocracy, feminized education and work life, worship of stupidity, vapid and worthless culture, fleeting pleasures considered the highest pursuit, death of spirituality, societal obsession with being a victim, etc.
>white men committing suicide in record numbers, record number of depressed people across all racial and gender divisions

THIS IS THE BEST TIME IN HUMAN HISTORY TO BE ALIVE AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME YOU ARE A HISTORICAL ILLITERATE LUDDITE

western civilization is in a death spiral. we can all rejoice in the fallout but for now we must face the grim decline.

Depression is just a symptom of finding no meaning in your life. It's a sign you need to change something. We all need some purpose no matter how small.

somebody post that study about how depressed people are more efficient workers and value their abilities realistically while optimistic people work half as hard and often overvalue themselves.

>basically we are better lil robots when depressed and so (((they))) actively suppress our true happiness

lifestyle devoid of struggle.

I've been depressed probably the past 10 years of my life.

I'm a lurker here, I don't really post much, but I'll give it a shot.

I think a lot of it stems from boredom, and a feeling of helplessness that you have no control of your life or anything that happens.

For instance, I was raised in a good situation I could say. All of my needs were taken care of except for my emotional ones. whenever I had a concern or wanted something, the answer ALWAYS seemed to be

>get over it
>no
>do it yourself
>man up, stop crying
>stop being such a pussy
> that's nothing to be concerned about
>that doesn't matter
>it doesn't matter how you feel about it

I'd heard all of these things multiple times a day by the age of 6-7

This led to a fierce independence, but also obedience to my parents. I always wanted to rely on myself, even now with my own family, I never open up to my wife, or tell her how I feel, or her help with anything. I always wanted to play video games or learn programming as a kid, because those were the only times I ever felt like I had any sort of control of anything, like what I did or thought, or wanted to do actually meant something.

I still will admit, that even though my childhood felt like an anxiety fueled hell, it did benefit me in a lot of ways.

Some of this is more prevalent in how much more control parents and teachers and schools have in our lives. My parents didn't let me hardly ever go out by myself because they were afraid I'd get kidnapped or murdered. There's almost no room for discourse or disobedience in schools because they've become so strict. Even now kids get tracked by their parents with their cell phones, you almost have no privacy. I don't think I've ever felt truly free.

My parents had childhoods of hanging out in the neighborhood, going wherever, they didn't have a cellphone to be consantly monitored and tracked on, they had some freedom.

Idk, I'm just rambling and now I'm at the text limit

>antibiotics gave me baker's skin

Have you considered hardening up?

More time to think

It's okay man. I know that sting that happens when people put you down and invoke moralistic reasons. It takes a long time to break the shadowy bonds of painful experiences.

Not only that but grains/sugars apparently feed cultures of botulism which monopolize intestinal areas to the exclusion of other microbes.

It's why more military develop PTSD in non-combat roles versus those who go into combat.

Non-deployment military life is a shitshow of petty politics and meaningless shit.

>provide details

The climax was:

>inability to use fingers
>constantly walking into things and dropping them
>constant muscle pain and joint
>inability to balance
>zero control over sleep
>terrible mental fog
>almost 1 second reaction time
>inability to learn or understand anything new
>couldn't even form sentences most of the time
>constant irritability
>anxiety most of the time
>people avoiding me (probably due to body language)
>a feeling of being poisoned after eating
>massive gas build up in intestine all the time
>needing to shit 10+ times a day
>constant severe depression
>complete despair over the slightest things
>terrible aerobic capacity
>exercise causing only damage
>severe acne
>rashes all over my body
>inability to see properly (difficult to explain)
>severe night time leg cramps that would hurt all day after
>probably some other things I've forgotten

All this gradually built up over the course of 8 years.

I initially started treating it as nutritional deficiencies, but eventually took probiotics too. I'm stuck on supplements, I'm not sure why I still need them now, but if I cut out vitamin B6, the leg cramps and mental fog return. If I cut of Vitamin D I cannot sleep at all. If I cut out fish oil I need twice as much sleep. Haven't tried stopping vitamin B12, but that's the first thing I took, which caused some improvement. There might be more I should take, I don't know.

I still can't eat a lot of foods, like maize or oats, without being 'poisoned'. I have to be very careful not to scratch my skin to avoid the rashes. I think my brain and peripheral nerves have some permanent damage, but it's bearable now unless I get tired then I am completely fucked. Sometimes my vision is way better than other times, but I'm not sure what affects this, maybe iodine as I get it from seaweed which isn't a controlled amount. Mental problems are mostly gone, especially anxiety, but positive emotions still haven't returned; just neutral at best.

Just? I find its alsow more difficulty adjusting to those social boundaries and lets be sincere any culture gives the story we're useless disposable like object. Words are associated that way towards people social conditioning does create you who you are because thats how you know who you are. Theres problems with how people react to fear and the their ego that still havent been resolved

Was your appendix removed? Apparently it's the equivalent of a bunker where gut flora retreat to in times of intestinal distress. When the distress is over, they repopulate in your gut.

I know that feel, user

>baker's skin

What is that?

why is there a good post in my Sup Forums

it's not common nowadays, it's always been common but the fucking retarded society we live in is broadening the definition so it looks like its becoming more of an issue.

>My parents didn't let me hardly ever go out by myself because they were afraid I'd get kidnapped or murdered

Fucking hell same with me. I wasn't allowed to leave my street alone on my bike until I was like 12. If I wanted to go to my friends house like half a mile away I had to be driven. Now surprise surprise I'm socially maladjusted.

This is the psyop they use to excuse it. It is wrong.

Degeneracy breeds a feeling of emptiness and inner badness.

All of my forebears obviously had some form of bipolar disorder, depression, etc. Really. Ask about your family history, there's plenty of uncles or great grandparents that were crazy, mean or depressed and despondent fuckers. People have always been fucked up to varying levels, but they've always managed. Jordan Peterson talks about this

Because humanism is retarded and most depression is just nihilism
The only cure is Jesus

It seems like that's what I've been doing my whole life.

I've come to a pretty stable place in my life, I've got a good job, a lovely family, a decent house in a good neighborhood. I should totally be happy, in reality, I have it made. This is also compounded by the fact that I feel like such a shitbag for not being able to appreciate everything I have.

It's just weird. Its just like a constant feeling of helplessness that I just can't shake.

About 15 years ago.

I was going to mention that, but decided against it.

After it was removed I got a yearly problem where I'd burp up huge amounts of very strong sulphurous gas before vomiting. I looked this up a few times and a few people had the same complaint but no-one had an answer and doctors couldn't understand it either.

After taking the antibiotics it became worse and I'd get severe abdominal pains too, but that stopped after two years, which is when other symptoms started. I guess whatever was causing that problem died.

yeast infection of the skin, think dermatitis but not quite, stay away from augmentin

Did you know that in Russia, where the state controls the sale and production of antifungals (like ketoconazole, for instance), it's required that a doctor prescribe both antifungals and antibiotics at the same time for illnesses treated by antibiotics? The reasoning is that it prevents the build up of harmful fungi and yeasts like candida when your beneficial gut bacteria are killed by antibiotics.

I have had lifelong illnesses like you describe, and I have wondered at times if this was caused by extensive antibiotic use in my childhood.

It isn't, it's just one of the latest trends.

It's got to the point where I can't tell if I'm actually depressed or just looking for excuses at this point. I want to cease existing but I don't want to die, I want success but I'm drained of all motivation and have lost hope from working shit paying temp jobs and long periods of unemployment.

I don't complain about it and I never tell anyone, yet I see people on normiebook use it as a fashion statement, I'm pretty sure those people don't truly hate their lives, yet they may be calling for help.

I'm going to university at 21 in September, hopefully that will put my life on track desu

Breakdown of community structure.

1000 years ago you'd be born into a strong community. You'd live, worship, fight, work, celebrate and exist with your neighbors. You were a part of something - your community, then your province, then your state, then your kingdom.

These days we're not a part of anything. I don't even know my neighbors name because he puts his head down and runs inside to avoid having to have a yarn with me. We're not a part of a community anymore, we've replace actual communities with virtual ones: Sup Forums, tumblr, videogames etc.

We need to get back to closer family and community ties if we ever want to be happy again.

Adding on to this, it's strange for me to see people wear their "depression" on their sleeves. I hate the idea of being pitied

Yeah, I think that if you're truly depressed you don't say it. I've never talked to anyone about it. ive never wanted to see a psychiatrist, talk about it, or let it be known to anyone.

mine kinda comes in spurts. I'll have a month of peace and then maybe a few really bad weeks of a deep depression. I've always had the mindset that I should just deal with it in silence because I know that it'll subside eventually.

I'll be 25 in June and I started college in February. The people are mostly assholes but It feels good to be learning and having my skills tested. I don't really feel like shit as much as I used to. I just have no space for it in my life anymore. If I stop working or improving myself in order to feel anything I'll lose focus like always. I guess indifference is better than feeling like killing yourself everyday.

I'm not suicidal, just idling insignificantly

I was thinking about this recently. While im not proud of being a failure of a human, and not having the financial stability to live on my own, i find comfort and happiness living with my family to be more gratifying. The level of support we have for eachother is far more than anything i could expect from the government or social services. Im not a leech on my family looking for handouts, but giving, sharing, and strengthening eachother is an aspect of living that you cant get if you force yourself to be independent and trying to get along by yourself. for those that dont have family, there is always family to be found in close friends, or even a good church.

Those are two things that society is trying to breakdown; the family unit and the church community. I dont frequent church anymore, but when i did i had the support and emotional fallback of people that actually cared about me. there isnt much community elsewhere, at least not for traditional and conservative people.

That's Fregoli syndrome, not depression. Maybe dying-human watched too much Fantomas

The bright side of my mom not caring about me is that it meant I could do whatever I wanted. Never had a curfew or anything like that. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way

Deep down that guy does want to talk he's just no good at it. I know because that guy is me (not literally)

It's nothing personal

I can think of two things that cause me to be depressed;

lack of meaningful relationships with other people who support and appreciate, dare I say "love", me and participate mutually in my life and the resultant achievment of the goals that I have set out for my life. My life is nothing but an increasing spiral of futility and lonliness that leads me to not want to bother with anything or anyone. But since I'm atheist, no matter how much I want to kill myself, I can't.

Because saying you're depressed is a good way to get attention with little effort. Hence why women are always saying they are. Statistically, more men are depressed though. Mainly because men aren't men aren't men anymore and want to stay kid mode anf when they can't they cry about it and don't contribute to society. People in general need to accept they dont deserve anything and be happy with what they have, but the jews need them to buy more shit than they need to keep them ungrateful.

>While im not proud of being a failure of a human, and not having the financial stability to live on my own, i find comfort and happiness living with my family to be more gratifying.
this
I live with my mother and younger brother. He's going through the same shit I did at his age. All the hardships brought us together while everyone else faded away. I need to keep myself together because we all depend on each other. I'm in college now and will probably start working next week. I'm his father figure so I need to set an example and show him that we can make it if we look out for each other.

Preservatives and genetically modified foods are having an impact on mental wellness. Maybe by design.

Because I live in Mexico
Because I'm 5'4 and my older brothers are 5'9 5'11 and 6
Because I'm fat
Because I have acne
Because I'm Neet
Because I've been thinking about killing myself for the past 3 months

I'd be depressed too if I was some beta faggit working an office job in the city.

Because of suicide prevention and treatment options for depression that allow a patient to live on and reproduce. Not being ironic or edgy, this is literally a relaxation of a selective pressure

Because technology and innovation is moving much faster than society.

Because people today don't do anything of consequence anymore. They can't even cook a meal or plant a garden. They can't shovel a driveway.

City people have become entirely useless for absolutely everything besides getting high and voting commie.

It won't make you be able to have motivation. I can say that if you don't have ADHD and are just unmotivated all that will come of it is anxiety and twitch and a growing dependency on. If you need to focus on what motivates you and you can't then take it. If not it's like taking Prozac because you are anxious, it won't do anything and will make you feel worse.

Stop being a lazy cunt. Stop being a whingey bitch and actually fix your pathetic fucking life, it's not fucking rocket science.

competition is present everywere because of filled societal roles
no new ventures to pioneer, no signs "people needed", no future to make for yourself, only lick ass and steal
PC Gaming FTW zieg hyle dutchland ueber alles man. White race bro. Take the red pill oorah.

Because you have no stake in society so yo view putting effort into it as worthless get out more join a club participate in a sport it probably won't be that much fun when you start out but it's like veggies nobody really likes them as a kid but you know they're good for you so you eat them

It's called being an attention whoring spineless faggot who ought to seriously consider suicide, it's the new thing to be, a edgy movement in teens.

Because its easier to blame your problems on depression than admitting what a loser you are.

youtube.com/watch?v=O85H5apA2ns

Stop fucking making excuses, lose some weight and work for a year or two to get you some of that sweet inexpensive Mexican land to live off of.

Because people wont work hard simple as that. They are to babied and to coodled and raised to cry and resist things that are hard

Good things come to those with patience. Congratulations on the job.

You don't know man I really have crippling depression.
I've worked you think it's funny to work 8 hours a day for 10 fucking dollars

Gonna kill myself this week none of this would matter anyway

this is spot on

no sense of community means your emotional stability is tied entirely to your personal success or lack thereof. instead of being part of a community that balances people's different good and bad periods against eachother and generally moves forward, your emotional life is now a day-to-day rollercoaster entirely dependent on factors more or less in your control going the way you want. once that rollercoaster hits a low spot i might get stuck and you'll get depressed. with a community around you you'd see people you care for and vice versa having good days, you'd see your community growing stronger even if you are having a bad period, and i't soften the emotional blow, pull you out of your hole

instead all you have is this perversion of individualism where 50% of people simply have no way of achieving a healthy emotional life since statistically they're underperformers.

Apart from depression being popularised as an 'illness', it's the result of leftist gouvernment policy, leftist education systems and the entire collective methods by which men (white men in particular) are treated.

One big lump of cancer. Guess who voted for it.

Goodbye then, you won't get any sympathy from me. Only the weak kill themselves.

We are constantly exposed to ideal lives through our entertainment. We are constantly made aware that our lives are less than they could be. We can't escape the objective fact that we can never live up to our potential reguardless of the effort we put into our own lives. Reality doesn't have entertainingly scripted events that happen at the best time for dramatic effect, and we're not surrounded by people who are always letting us showcase the best parts of ourselves. We're brought up watching this kind of behavior to the point where it's become part of our subconscious as a species. There's an ineffable voice echoing inside the collective gestalt that is contemporary humanity and it's screaming, unchallenged "YOU AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH."

Societal decay, feminism. Women hold most of the power, women decided to run everything into the ground. When men were in charge it was better, now women are in charge, miserable, and won't let anyone else get away with being happy.

Stream it, fag

This. It's really that simple. People that aren't faggots are probably one in a hundred.

We have forgotten God.

I am weak

Then either get not weak or fucking do something right for once in your life and hang yourself.

it's actually a combination of diet, (lack of) exercise, and the social conditions.

Diet is bigger than most people think- there's some research emerging that your neurotransmitters that control mood are created in the intestinal tract.

scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/

Because there are commercials airing every thirty seconds on TV suggesting people might need some pill to make them feel better.