National Odd Fellows is discriminating against a 15 year old kid with autism

FINALLY, an issue all of Sup Forums can unify behind.

This kid has severe autism. He has to use a special board to communicate.

He entered an essay contest and won. They were going to send him on a trip to a youth event. Until they found out he has autism. Then they cancelled his participation in the trip/event.

Can you believe this outrage?

kgw.com/features/portland-teen-with-autism-disqualified-from-international-contest/435137534

Other urls found in this thread:

autismspeaks.org/blog/2014/03/14/guidance-helping-nonverbal-child-severely-disabled-autism
unpilgrimage.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A Portland teenager who won a national writing contest and the trip of a lifetime is now fighting for his civil rights.

Niko Boskovic’s family said after contest officials from the Order of Odd Fellows United Nations Pilgrimage for Youth, Inc. learned their son had autism, they yanked his award.

“They came back after a month and a half with, ‘Sorry, he's no longer able to take part and chaperones are not allowed to take part either,’” said Niko’s mother, Loreta Boskovic.

When Niko, 15, was 3 years old, doctors diagnosed him with autism, which makes talking very difficult for him. Loreta said a few years ago a simple letter board changed everything. Niko now communicates by pointing to letters on the board to spell what he wants to say.

“Now I can't shut up,” spelled Niko.

“He's a good writer,” added Loreta.

So good, Niko won an essay contest sponsored by the Odd Fellows, a national fraternal organization. For his essay on Ukraine, Portland's Peninsula Odd Fellows Lodge chose Niko to join 300 kids from around the world to go to New York for The United Nations Pilgrimage For Youth. The local lodge raised the $1,600 dollars needed to pay for the trip.

“He was our choice,” said Peninsula Odd Fellows Lodge secretary David Scheer.

Niko was thrilled.

“Not often do we see someone of my challenges, that takes so much time to communicate, take part in something like this,” spelled Niko.

But then, the Peninsula lodge got an email from the order's national nonprofit saying Niko would not be accepted for the trip after all.

“We can't get any explanation in writing from them but when I spoke with the gentleman who’s the board chair for the UN Youth Program, he said ‘we are not equipped to accept people with disabilities,’” said Loreta.

This sounds like facilitated communication, which is basically Ouija using a mentally disabled person instead of a spooky ghost and about as rigorous.

KGW reached out to the National Odd Fellows board and is waiting for a response.

Scheer said the local lodge filed a complaint, demanding to know why Niko had been rejected.

“We got no reply back except for a check refunding the money that we had paid for him,” said Scheer. “We're not going to allow them to discriminate like this.”

Scheer said the local lodge is giving Niko the prize money to use on a trip of his choice. It’s also boycotting the UN Pilgrimage Program until the organization agrees to not discriminate against winners because of their disabilities.

Disability Rights Oregon is also getting involved.

>This kid has severe autism. He has to use a special board to communicate.

So basically Sup Forums?

He can also use a keyboard on a computer and write essays.

Kekked

“We do intend to move forward with this,” said Gordon Magella, an attorney with Disability Rights Oregon. He said so far, the Odd Fellows national organization hasn't returned their calls, either.

“This organization is really, flatly discriminating against Niko, just because he has autism and he uses his a letter board,” said Magella. “It's that blatant.”

Niko communicated that he had high hopes for the trip.

“Not only was I willing to learn,” spelled Niko. “But I wanted to be an ambassador, of sorts.”

Now staying home could make Niko an ambassador to the world.

“Really, these people are making this into a civil rights case,” spelled Niko.

Asked if he thought he would win such a case, Niko pointed his finger at the board and spelled “Y-E-S.”

If he can actually do it without his mother moving his hands for him (whether intentional or unintentional) then on the face of it this sounds unjust. But I somehow doubt that this is the entire story.

He could be reading this, right now.

Niko! I'm rooting for you, buddy!

What would be a good twitter hashtag to raise awareness and get justice for Niko?

Those sentences he's making are complete and intelligent, but he can't speak or use a pen?

I don't get it.

this, what does it have to do with autism

autismspeaks.org/blog/2014/03/14/guidance-helping-nonverbal-child-severely-disabled-autism

Guidance on Helping Nonverbal Child Severely Disabled by Autism

This actually makes me sad.

i dunno if autistic or just a woman..

She has cerebral palsy

Nothing special. People already use a special board called Sup Forums for a way to get past their autism too except they win nothing. How is this relevant?

unpilgrimage.org/

Exciting News
The Board of Directors of the UN Educational Pilgrimage for Youth, Inc. announce the dates for the 2017 United Nations Pilgrimage for Youth Tour Program.

Students 16 or 17 years of age with at least one year of high school remaining are eligible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dates for 2017 Tour

July 8 - 18, 2017 (Group 1)
July 15 - 25, 2017 (Group 2)

2017 Tour Fees in US Funds remain the same !
$ 1,600.00 Delegates
$ 1,300.00 Tour Leaders
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These fees do not include the cost of transportation from your jurisdiction to the originating point in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (All tours start and end in Philadelphia)
All FEES, PAYMENTS AND DONATIONS are mailed to:

UN Pilgrimage for Youth IOOF

422 Trade Street, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101-2830

All REGISTRATION FORMS and TOUR LEADER APPLICATIONS with all Required Documents should be mailed to:
Janet L Bruce, Executive Director
UN Pilgrimage for Youth
205 Hastings Way SW
Poplar Grove, IL 61065-9090