N.N.Taleb

What does Sup Forums think about the autistic Lebanese Ph.D?
For the people don't know who he is, he is a Lebanese Christian, Ph.D., former trader and a hedge fund manager. Famous for this "Black Swan".

Read it if you haven't:
penguinrandomhouse.com/series/INO/incerto

He drops some sweet articles on medium:
medium.com/@nntaleb

Also his twitter is pretty interesting:
twitter.com/nntaleb

In his free time he is sperging about ancient languages, how Lebanese are not Arabic, and procures some funny rants. He hates models, scientism, economist and he was famous for his IYI article
medium.com/incerto/the-intellectual-yet-idiot-13211e2d0577

Other urls found in this thread:

mobilitywod.com/
youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit
youtube.com/watch?v=pLLgNi5UmB0
medium.com/incerto/surgeons-should-notlook-like-surgeons-23b0e2cf6d52
fooledbyrandomness.com/minority.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=9dKiLclupUM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>muh barbell strategy

genius

>how Lebanese are not Arab
Never ceases to amaze me how cucked westerners need to be told this.

Is he the autiste who spergs out all over the internet about lifting? He's /my guy/

taleb is a true genius of our age

probably too smart for Sup Forums

He roasted Nate Silver on twitter pretty good a few times during the election, that's about all I've seen of him.

he's on the same side as Sup Forums is, just in hi quality adequate wording, with zero shitposting

Also: Does anyone else have any links w/r/t Taleb and weightlifting? I read something in passing in a thread a couple weeks ago about how he supposedly overcame backpain simply by squats + diddlylifts, but I could be mistaken or have my details wrong.

He's great - his black swan analysis really confirmed into the power of human spirit in direct opposition to dogmatic financialization bullshit

he's now trying to subvert Trump on twitter by laying constant 4d chess praise on him. i wish him luck

>subvert Trump on twitter

oh boy, you are so 4d, this game is nD and it's not about subverting trump

>this game is nD
wut?

Yes, he lifts with pic rel

He shitposts a lot on twitter, usually calls people idiots

Check his twitter.

>he supposedly overcame backpain simply by squats + diddlylifts
If you activate your muscles by foam rolling and keep DL + squat with a good form, you will get rid of the back pain. I did the same. Keep that foam roller close to you, use lacrosse ball for deeper trigger points.
Last year I was unable to sit for longer than hour without pain,
Now I feel no pain in my back.

Also check mobilitywod, try at least the 10 days trial.
mobilitywod.com/

Search for a gym with mobility classes. In Poland crossfit got overtaken by olympic and powerlifters, so instead of memesport everyone laughed on /fit/ a few years ago, we have a pretty based community there and people run great mobility classes with foam rolling and stuff. So Polish crossfit is basically coach Rippetoe.

I've never heard of him
I like the Lebanese though

that is correct

>We wuz Phoenician and sheit
I'm getting tired of these self hating lebo Christian types.

Got any links to any good foam roll "exercises"/moves? I already have a foam roll but I don't know how to do much with it other than stretch out my quads & hip flexors

people are idiots for most of the distribution so that's not shitposting, it's justified assessment lel

they aren't though. You have to realize, being a Saudi, that every person in the Middle East is not just ethnically an 'Arab' because they speak Arabic. A black guy speaks English in America, he isn't English. The Lebanese aren't necessarily white, that's for certain, but they're much closer to being Greek or Med than being an Arab. Some of the muslims there have obvious arab admixture, but most of them are pretty light/olive, similar to how the Persians are not 'Arabs'.

>Lebanese.

I don't know user. Something about him just doesn't feel right.

thanks man

He is an autistic narcissist who's entire life's work can be summed up as "unexpected shit happens and recognizing that is a good thing"

Next

Dynamic Hedging was bretty good. Also also his caricatures of traders are funny. But a lot of his work wishes it was more intellectual than it is... dude has serious academic penis envy.

mobilitywod.com/
I tried the demo and it was basically the same stuff we did in class.
Some free episodes are here:
youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit

Disregard the >crossfit part, stuff is damn solid.

Thanks, polebro

He made a shit ton of money off of his methods tho.

>inb4 Muh book sales

Even popular socioeconomics books won't make you rich.

That's pretty much true. Lebanese food is Med. You'll find the same food in Creete, Santorini, Athens, Izmir or Instanbul.
They were a sea nation with closer ties with other Med ports (Istanbul, Alexandria, Pireus etc.) than with the cities on the other side of the dessert.
Hell, almost half of the country is Christian with a lot of Byzantine culture, despite happenings in 1453.

I know this mate, that's exactly my point. Why would anyone to be told this and think it's some sort of revelation when it's just common sense?

>descendant of an Arabian tribe: Arab
>not descendent of one (even if Arabic speaker or rape baby): not Arab

Simple really, if most westerners weren't such cucks.

Autocorrect fucked it up but I think it's clear enough

I'm not so sure... he kept betting on black swans and they kept not showing up. Empirca closed after just a few years.

Bannon made the entire Trump campaign read Taleb's book Antifragile. Read Antifragile.

He's a smug fuck who uses long words to impress the middlebrows who struggle through his pedantic books.

The thesis of Black Swan is solid stuff though, and there's a lot of good pop finance in there that people should be aware of.

So yeah... recommended reading.

So if you want to cite your first ancestor as an Arab is it Ishmael son of Abraham or who?

This guy is based as fuck, I follow him on twitter and he consistently BTFO's academicucks.

He was still doing that earlier today

Yeah, his love-hate relationship with academia is embarassing sometimes.

There is this famous saying of picking nickels in front of a steamroller. Usual strategies are about picking nickels, Taleb's was to be a steamroller. In many cases these strategies run out of fuel aka solvency.

Also if you run a fund and keep losing on short term, your investors will be pretty pissed. I know, I'm using clip from the Big Short again, but it pictures is pretty damn good. Having to deal with the behavioral biases like loss aversion is a bitch.

youtube.com/watch?v=pLLgNi5UmB0

Ultimately yes, but it suffices to trace your ancestry to an Arab tribe.

If Arabs are good at one thing it's lineage. Probably spend way too much time and resources on being meticulous about the ancestry of each tribe and each subgroup.

>tfw mongrels come along and simply call themselves Arabs

>academic penis envy

because he's attacking literal self-sufficient cultural/social academic idiots living on other people's money?

Who is this semen demon?

Nancy Ajram

Reverse image search next time.

Pic unrelated, another Lebanese.

and thanks God he does that.

medium.com/incerto/surgeons-should-notlook-like-surgeons-23b0e2cf6d52

>You can tell if a discipline is BS if the degree depends severely on the prestige of the school granting it. I remember when I applied to MBA programs being told that anything outside the top 10 or 20 would be a waste of time. On the other hand a degree in mathematics is much less dependent on the school (conditional on being above a certain level, so the heuristic would apply to the difference between top 10 and top 2000 schools).
>The same applies to research papers. In math and physics, a result posted on arXiv (with a minimum hurdle) is fine. In low quality fields like academic finance (where almost all academics are charlatans and all papers some form of complicated storytelling), the “prestige” of the journal is the sole criterion.

I know this from a real life and fully agree.

Reminder that Taleb talked about going back to Lebanon during the civil war but he refuses to talk about why and what he did there.

How does it feel knowing that your ancestors cucked the Levant with your shitty culture and religion?

I read his Black Swan book. Garbage. Malcolm Gladwell tier meme shit, filled with common sense made obtuse, and allegories pulled off Wikipedia.

Last week I read Mike Cernovich's Gorilla Mindset, which has 800 reviews on Amazon, and near perfect star rating. This book is a goddamn crime, and I torrented it. I haven't felt conned by an author like this perhaps ever. It was likely written over a couple days on Modafinil, at an embarrassing 8th grade level. Its what you'd expect Joe Rogan to write when he was on Fear Factor. Take cold showers, lift, don't be a pussy.

Gorilla Mindset made me hate Cernovich. He's a gross marketer posing as a journalist for shekels. Honestly shocked he isn't attacked for this "book" which is stuffed with worksheets.

Feels better being a descendant of the conquerors than of the cucked party and the rape baby desu

>implying historical conquests didn't happen elsewhere

does this mean my math bachelor's from an unrenowned state school isn't worthless? big if true

that citation is 1/1 true, so i wouldn't ever call it `academic penis envy` since that is not the case, our guy taleb is just criticizing established (and corrupt) normatives around academic installments, all covered in IYI article and later propagated through other works

It's much less worthless than econ from this school.
Basically math has the same curriculum everywhere and math grad = I know how to think about solving abstract problems.

Still Ph.D. looks better and has pretty nice career prospects, but you can't go wrong with mathematics. You will end up being software developer, engineer or data sciencist anyway.

if you're unable work hard in your domain in order to sell it high, it's useless

>mfw when I trigger Nassim-boy into a full meltdown on twitter

>You will end up being software developer, engineer or data sciencist anyway.

> applied math is a bad thing

Tried watching some of his lectures but couldn't get past the autistic mumbling

Taleb is probably one of my favorite authors.

+he pops up extra redpills every now and then

fooledbyrandomness.com/minority.pdf

>flag

>
where's your authored book?

>implying a math bachelors from a state school is worthless

No idea where you got that stupid idea.

Math is one of the relatively small number of degrees that is not worthless.

learn something than watch again

>You will end up being software developer, engineer or data sciencist anyway.

True story. It happened to me--Masters in math and now I'm a software developer.

It's a great time to become a software dev. In my company out of 20 devs, we have one with the formal CS education. Rest are people with STEM degree, two philosophers and one graduate of linguistics.

I get redpills from his twitter feed everyday.

and that part is very counter intuitive to how humans think in general, he talks about convexity, being anti fragile, taking advantage of unpredictability.. I don't know I feel like I saw a new way of thinking and behaving after reading his stuff and following him.

>When I was a quant-trader, my trading colleagues talked about books, ideas, and quants talked about probability and mathematics. Now that I am in the "ideas" profession, my academic colleagues discuss office space, and my writing colleagues talk about book agents, speakers bureaus and copyrights. Professional mathematicians talk about grants and amateur ones about Godel.

last one for the day

Have you read the David Kahneman's books? They are also great is describing all the behavioral biases people expose.

Sure it's all models and simplification, but despite it's a great read.

yeah, I don't think it's actually worthless. but my overall GPA is sub 3.0 mostly due to health issues I had in my first two years and having to work part time to cover expenses. feeling gloomy about grad school prospects... Major GPA is a 3.2 but it seems like employers only care about cumulative. should I just lie and ghost if they ask for a transcript?

>get in if you want to fix your posture

I would gain an actual experience.
What are you interested about?

nassim boy just doesn't sound as good as pinker boy..

The guy's a geniune genius. Reading/listening to him has heavily influenced my outlook of the world.

Also it's hilarious that he and Mark Rippetoe are mates. Such an unlikely duo.

I'd like to get into machine learning since I've been interested in philosophy of mind since early high school and it's a pretty future-proof field

Start doing courses on edx, coursera etc. Machine learning is great skill to have, so if you apply to any company and you show them your machine learning projects, it will mean much more than GPA.
They will check your problem skills for sure, to make sure the project is yours.

Experience > GPA.

if you're interested in philosophy of mind start studying formal languages/metalogic in general.

i love taleb

if you're smart enough watch this

youtube.com/watch?v=9dKiLclupUM

he explains so well why the whole "ladder falls kill 500 people per year vs terrorism only kills 50 per year, how can you be more afraid of terrorists than ladders?!?" type retarded arguments are bullshit

his talks on econtalk are also goat

Oh....he's one of those dudes who works out in the foot-sock-shoe thingies. That's all I need to know.

Haha oh wow, this guy is the missing link /fitbiz/.

>where's your book?

You're reading it nigger, it's called Sup Forums

>get in, twigboy...it's chest day

Taleb is a fucking bore. An arrogant bore. And his books fucking suck.

Based red pill merchant.

Discusses subtle topics that have a massive impact on how to live your life well.

what do i write a girl if i want to get her naked? shes certainly interested and hast sent pictures

>cucked
m8, you are literally property of a king.

t.Pinker

ourguy. I started applying his method to trading and I made some money. Dunno if related or just luck.

What's that?

-

The guy´s a prophet of our times.

His book dynamic hedging?

>long words to impress the middlebrows
more like esoteric allusions which you can't appreciate because you're an undergrad trash business major/middle manager cunt

Hmm, I don't recall a citizen ever doing this.

I wonder what that makes your country then, if even "property" never do it.

Americans are so passive aggressive when they get usurped by a foreigner. Faggots, both of you.

He is awesome.

breddy gool guy

>dem meme """shoes"""
I legit just lost some respect for him

He's one of the best free and independent thinkers of our time. I really enjoy reading his point of view, even if I don't agree so often with him.

He does seem a bit delusional (paragraphs about how he looks like a bodyguard in his book) about his lifting prowess, given that he's actually not even strong.

I feel like I already intuitively grasped most of the shit he was saying in black swan and antifragile but he definitely puts it all together and explains more clearly than anyone else has.

He actually says something like that he looks like a strongman only to impress thieves as thieves are cowards by nature or something.

Makes sense, right?

Depends. What have you done with it? If nothing then it's worthless.

He's cool.

I find myself applying many of his ideas in my day to day life.