Hi Sup Forums, I'm an evolutionary neuroscientist

Hi Sup Forums, I'm an evolutionary neuroscientist.

Define the word "drugs", and I'll tell you the political and biological problems associated with your definition.

abusable medicine

Are you going to go on a
>Like oh my god psychedelics are not drugs they expand your mind and shit
rant now?

Coping mechanisms for weak minded retards.

tfw im not your weak father.

WEED DUDE
*cough*
DUUUUUDE
*cough*
WEEEEEED
*cough*
It cures cancer and sheeeit

>look at me I parade around under the façade of a subjective pseudoscience!

A pharmacoactive, exogenous, pure compound not found in food

Get wrekt, faggot. U.S.A.!

Thank god someone noticed

Anything containing the word "evolutionary" on this board is just written by a LARPing moron
Watching Molyneux doesn't make you a scientist dipshit

>Define the word "drugs",

anything added to your body to change it's internal chemistry

like CO2?

Hello. I'm an organic chemist with training in pharmacology.

The only definition that could suffice is the FDA definition. A preparation intended to diagnose, treat, or cure a disease/illness.
Glycerine is a drug. Listerine is a drug. Titanium dioxide is a drug. Medical-grade O2 is a drug. Psilocybin is not a drug. 4-methylmethcathinone is not a drug. LSD is not a drug. Cocaine is a drug. Heroin is not a drug. Methadone is a drug.

Hi ((( OP ))), I'm an ethicist.
Define the words "political problems", and I'll tell you how many fucks other people should give about your opinion.

Drugs are chemical substances that cause and alteration in the functions of certain systems and structures in an organism.
These bind with enzimes or receptors that have affinity to them, and can either inhibit or stimulate the action certain actions caused by thos receptors or enzimes.
That's what I've learned at my uni, how did I do?

>Lsd/ mushrooms can cure depression.
>Not a drug

Degenerate.

any thoughts on the endocannabanoid system? specifically the idea of an exogenous hormone has been an interesting idea that i've heard discussed before.

>define drugs
Mind altering substances.

Oh great, another retarded druggie preacher.

ropes and soap can also cure depression

Abuse is defined by context. One particular use in one society can be abuse in another and vice versa. Psychedelics are used in scientific creativity research, which is obviously very useful, while at the same time it's sacrilege to native cultures who have used them for hundreds/thousands of years in way that science is trying to uncover.

No.

Your rejection of substances as useful tool is a coping mechanism for your weak mind that cannot deal with the fact that your image of reality and what drugs are is incorrect.

Wrong. A bunch of foods contain psychoactive and otherwise substances that we find in our kitchens. Nutmeg is psychoactive and certain spices such as cayenne pepper contain enzymes that enable/enhance its effects. People's mental state and behaviour is affected by food on a daily basis and they don't even realise it.

So, anything we ingest ever.

>I'm an organic chemist with training in pharmacology.

Excellent. Do you agree with that definition? As an organic chemist you can appreciate the nature of a wide variety of compounds that are found throughout nature that can interact with our systems in purposeful or coincidental ways, regardless of how humans define it. Your definition depends on what is considered to be a disease/illness and what is considered to be a cure and has little bearing on the actual process behind these interactions.

So that includes the majority of foods we eat.

There's plenty of interactions throughout nature between species that can be called a "complementary relationship". I lean towards the theory that cannabis and homo sapiens have such a relationship.

So, a bunch of foods we eat on a day-to-day basis.

Def: External input targeting an biological receptor to effect change, reverse change, or alter ability to change within a scalable biological system.

See emotional contagen and fbookerface experimenting to give peeps depressions. You clicked agree?

Is evolutionary science an actual discipline???

Fuck off you LARPER.

i'm a cognitive/behavioral neuroscientist and i've never heard of it

Evolutionary neuroscience studies how various information transmission systems are formed in nature.

For instance, visual input is processed by the most simple binary cells recording the most basic elements of retinal information. These elements are pooled to more complex cells that represent assemblages of these simple features. The weighted value of these assemblages depends on how often they occur together. These complex cells route input to even more complex cells, all the way up until we have actual object recognition and representation, which is then linked to a majority of other mental concepts that give it a meaning beyond its shape.

So, through a binary system in principle, with only on-off states, information is pooled in such a manner that we can experience the complex phenomenon that is our vision. This is extremely efficient and interesting computing (for those of you that don't know, our brains are literally just computers) and it's interesting to see: where does it come from? How the fuck does a system like this even take shape, where does it begin, what are the design principles and elements and how universal or unique are they?

DRUBS : A PHARMACEUTICAL COMPOUND

DO THE ANALYSIS

English is a whore of a language, so the word "drugs" can have a whole slew of meanings. In context of this thread, a drug is a substance that has a chemically induced mind altering effect. The problem with them comes from the side effects of dependency, but this can be solved by letting me shoot junkies in the face when they try to steal my shit.

>evolutionary neuroscientist.

You spelled unemployed wrong.

FOOD IS A DRUG TOO GUYS
JUST ATE THIS PIZZA, TOTALLY FEELS LIKE INJECTING SPEED

I just ate this cactus, holy shit I'm tripping balls
I just ate these mushrooms holy shit I'm tripping balls
I just at these coaca leaves, holy shit I'm so stimulated
I just drank 10 cups of coffee, holy shit I'm so stimulated
I just ate 10000 poppy seeds, holy fuck I'm so sedated.

bruh?

You're arguing against yourself by claiming certain substances in certain foods need to be included in the definition as well and then implying it's wrong to include foods in the definition whenever someone gives you a definition that includes these foods.

Also you're just LARP'ing.

Anything you ingest that makes you trip balls.
/thread.

My own definition would be; really anything that can get you addicted be it mentally or physically and that alters yourself. That's why I think weed is a drug as much as heroin, weed is just a very mild drug and can be helpful to some types.

Challenge me.

mind altering substances

Things you enjoy that can be addicting and bad for you

Video games/tv/anime/Internet are drugs too.

I refrain from any chemical drugs such as alcohol, cigarettes, weed etc. and I'm trying to reduce my caffeine consumption

I think being addicted to drugs signals a weak mind and body. I take personal pleasure of watching smokers kill themselves and see how they suffer when they want to smoke but can't at the moment.

>I'm gonna be a smug cunt because I think I'm better than you

Whatever a faggy cunt like you takes before getting railed by his man.

any xenobiotic that alters homeostatic functions of the body by its own action, or the action of its metabolites.

Non primary metabolite compound used to alter some metabolic process(es)

>Excellent. Do you agree with that definition?
My definition of drug is more logical. A substance or material that can, through chemical action, act as a tool to either help or harm individuals depending on how much they know about the drug and how much self control they have.

I can do meth or coke like they're coffee, but I avoid opioids like the plague as they provide zero recreational or functional use, and do not stimulate the mind and body. They're trash.

Why anyone would willingly take heroin or any other opioids outside of a hospital/hospice flabbergasts me. No value to sitting all cuddled and warm and fuzzy like some infantile waste. Boring as shit.
>but it feels so good!
No. Hotrailing a-PHP feels good. You get a kick in your ass. You're ready to git shit done and rock n roll for 5 days straight. The shadow people come to fuck with you and you kick their asses while listening to Ozzy or Slayer.

Downers and benzos are for people scared of going into hell and kicking Satan's ass and coming out like a boss, ready to come back down to earth and relax after a job well-don.

>My definition of drug is more logical.

More human-logical yes, but not a reflection of the... fuck how the fuck to put this, molecular reality of our existence. Nature is filled with templates that work well, and a massive variety of lifeforms use them which creates an almost boundless amount of analogues. We are both, the best word would be purposeful even though there's no active mind behind it, purposefully designed to have systems that can interact with analogues, and some analogues just happen to interact with us through coincidence.

I'd say a drug is any substance that has major interactions with systems in our body, either through design or coincidence, that change the nature of their expression and function (either physical or mental or both).

Whether this is useful or not depends on the definition of the individual culture. Some frown upon "purposeful" interactions, some frown upon coincidental interactions, some upon both, some upon neither, some upon a mixture, some are informed about the underlying mechanics and some aren't.

>Why anyone would willingly take heroin or any other opioids outside of a hospital/hospice flabbergasts me
Yeah I agree. But I think most addictions are because people want to escape from daily reality in this society, not daily reality as a biological being. Basically anything that will get them out of it, is better to them than dealing with what society demands from them, even if the effects are shit.

I love these, but, some compound interactions that are not primary to some can be primary to others due to genetic variance or genetic defects. Some basic foods have active compounds in them in conjunction with the nutritional content that has driven us to select them for consumption.

So what's the difference between a food and a drug?

A very loose term for a range of materials, natural and man made, that exercise some bioactivity often, but not limited to, psychological and emotional. As a word 'drugs' is a prime example of the limitations or abuse of language.

Anything you can put in/on/around your body
Most governments thought about this trap a long time ago
They're called the food and drug administrations

>Hi. I'm trying to improve my larping skills as a kike. Tell me anything, and I'll do my best to twist your words into meaningless glop by using a meaningless glop of words