Bill Nye the Nuclear Denial Guy

I'm starting a YouTube series to debunk Bill Nye's nonsense. I posted my first video here yesterday and got a lot of useful feedback.

My thesis is that Bill Nye uses "science" as entertainment in order to push his political beliefs.

youtube.com/watch?v=euDlmRwjICY

I'd appreciate any feedback you have on it. Some of the feedback from last time that I focused on was making my presentation more entertaining, spending more time on the creative process, and speaking my lines without stumbling.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/V8I1oEdRSgc
youtube.com/watch?v=kVmC0ktznNo
youtube.com/watch?v=qN5L2q6hfWo
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nye
nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/27/science/chernobyl-capping-a-catastrophe.html?_r=0
news.cornell.edu/stories/2003/12/bill-nyes-cool-interplanetary-sundial-heads-mars
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the main issue with anti-nuclear propaganda is its impact on the third world, which need cheap energy so badly, something that SJW supposedly care about.

I agree. Nuclear energy is actually fairly safe, and clean. Bill Nye being against nuclear energy doesn't make any sense - except for the fact that the Democrats are against it and the Republicans are for it. I think Bill is making it a political issue.

I remember you, OP. I haven't watched the entire video yet but I will tell you that you really need to cut down your video length. I barely made it through your first one.

Also, is your entire channel going to be dedicated to bill nye? Won't you run out of discussion?

i dont want shitskins anywhere near nuclear power plants.

Fuck the third world, I want them to starve while I consume energy

Believe it or not, I actually did edit this one down by about five minutes. I know shorter videos can be punchier or more densely packed with entertainment, but I find it hard to cut down all the things I want to say!

>Also, is your entire channel going to be dedicated to bill nye? Won't you run out of discussion?
There's a lot of material with Bill Nye. I won't spend all my time on Bill Nye though, I will also branch out onto topics like immigration in Sweden, health care in the US, or my thoughts on the death penalty.

Seriously.

They would dirty up those bombs with their stink radiation

get rid of the powerpoint slide style. It isn't an 8th grade english presentation.
But otherwise, good audio quality, decent editing, solid points, breddy gud. Just figure out a way to present your points that doesnt look straight out of 2004

>I find it hard to cut down all the things I want to say!

Use cliff notes. Absolutely no one is going to muster through all your videos. You can't expect people to actually sit through a 20+ minute long video. You're being unrealistic. Go back to the drawing board and get your ideas together. This would help to exponentially cut down your video length.

Started watching it and I have 2 gripes:
1. Get a better mic. It sounds like you are echoing.
2. Talk in a more upbeat tempo. Only watched for a minute and I'm already falling asleep. Put some more energy in your delivery.

That's just first impressions, I'll come back when i finish the video.

fuck off fag, go shill your channel on t_d

Your country shouldn't worry because you have a strong nuclear lobby but this enviromental crap is really a problem for developed countries (those that ironically have the raw materials to make fission possible), and even some first world countries as well. I can't imagine Europe going full 'green' as they want to do... like if their industries aren't expensive enough.

You see Greenpeace bothering here but sure as hell they don't do any mess in their homeland.

you are just embarrassing yourself.

not saying that the "spectrum" thing wasn't funny last week but you're not qualified to have opinions on science.

a bunch of scientifically illiterate right wingers making "science" videos isn't going to help your cause.

While I would love for the world to adopt nuclear power, and I have no hate for any
of the third world's ethnic groups, I often see that the people from places like India,
for example, don't exactly live up to the standards needed. Sure, they have engineering
degrees, but from what school? With what kind of standards? More often than not they
can barely be called a university at all. I don't want that guy anywhere near a nuclear reactor.

I'll keep cutting my videos down in length. That way, I'll increase the quality / length ratio!

I'll try to work on the echo. I didn't hear it when listening myself, but this is good feedback. I want the audio to sound good. I think my microphone should be good enough, it's probably a problem with the settings on it, or the fact that I'm using it in a big open room. Thanks for the feedback.

> Talk in a more upbeat tempo. Only watched for a minute and I'm already falling asleep. Put some more energy in your delivery.

I'll keep working on it. This was actually high up on the list of feedback from my previous video. I think I'm making improvements, but I still can do better.

I use pol a lot, and this is political content. I think it makes sense here. I'd also be happy to talk with you about the political issues from the video.

> you're not qualified to have opinions on science.
Neither does bill nye, but in the end they're both just show hosts.
5/10 bait

That's a good point. My video was somewhat America-centric, but nuclear power in other places around the world could be vital. Especially places where solar or wind will be hard to come by.

I'm curious, are there any specific scientific points I get wrong in the video? I'm trying my best to be accurate.

I think there are some places in the world where nuclear doesn't make sense. Japan seems to have had some bad luck in that regard, for example. There are other places where nuclear is a good option. A nuclear power plant can produce a lot of power in a relatively (to giant wind or solar plants) small amount of area. European countries, especially Nordic ones, are probably a good spot.

The risk associated with Nuclear power is pretty fucking obvious. If it's well maintained and constructed correctly in a proper area, it's safe. But as time moves forward, these plants are going to start decaying. If a Government shuts down and can't afford to fund maintenance on a nuclear plant, we are going to have a nightmare problem.

I'm not sure Bill Nye is really wrong about it.

Like if your country isn't getting overrun by Mexicans right now, they will eventually inherit hundreds of atomic plants plus the nukes.
You will have nuclear cartels everywhere.

I'm starting to hate Bill more and more every day. Why the fuck has he turned into a moron?

Volatile countries might not be a good choice for nuclear power plants. Same with countries ruled by extremists. But I don't think power plants are as dangerous as people think.

A bad disaster (which would be improbable anyway) in a modern nuclear plant might cause a town evacuation, but if your government completely shut down overnight then you likely have problems on that scale already. If your government isn't going into emergency shutdown, then you'd have time to cleanly take the plants offline.

People tend to connect nuclear power plants with nuclear explosions. But, in reality, the worst thing that can happen with a nuclear power plant is that radiation will leak.

I know what you mean. When I started doing these videos I didn't have any strong thoughts about Bill. But now that I'm 2 videos down and in the middle of my third, I'm starting to hate him.

Bill Nye has like 5 million invested in some American solar company, Rayton solar. He promoted them on his new show. The problem is that China is going to devour all America solar companies and Nye is going to be out 5 million dollars if he isn't already.
Bottom line, Bill Nye is an idiot, both scientifically and when it comes to investment.
Maybe he's got some 4-D chess going on, but I doubt it.

Overall good video. Good analysis, and your voice is relaxing

Absolutely. Areas on fault lines, small islands, etc are not good place for something so delicate.
and European and Nordic countries are great for nuclear. Also geothermal.

My father was a nuclear plant operator. They constantly keep tabs on that shit.
Around 9/11 they got a threat placed on the plant, the govt believed that the possibility
of a terrorist attack was high for nuclear power plants on the east coast. They had armed guards, tanks, the works out to
protect it.

And during normal operation they have inspections, protocol for meltdown, everything. Trust me, the government definitely cares about
the health of our nuclear plants, and the technology is from the 60's. And believe it or not, those plants can run for quite a while unmanned before they melt down. All of the serious nuclear accidents with power plants have been poor design, or from a structural failure due to extraordinary circumstances (ie a fucking tsunami ripping its ass open so the cooling pool for the nuclear fuel rods is no longer cooling them)

>you're not qualified to have opinions on science.

Here have a ((you))

You do realize 99.99% of people in media aren't qualified to have opinions but they still spit them out.

You sound good and present yourself well, but buy a better damn microphone man.

this video didn't need to be 20 minutes long

Also, I'd like to add that Nye's biggest criticism is that it takes too long to build. So I guess the answer is to cover the planet in solar panels. The problem is that we have a lot of nuclear waste that will need to be recycled which can only be done with the new nuclear technology we have. That means we need to build nuclear plants anyway. Bottom line, Bill Nye is a fucking normie moron with a degree. There's literally countless morons just like him.

I fell asleep within a minute

Glad to hear, thank you.

The microphone has been a common source of feedback. Would you say the problem is that my voice is hard to hear or understand, or that you can hear noises or weird sounds in the background?

He isn't a scientist any more than Beaker is.
He is not qualified to be a scientist, he would only gain employment as a technician at best.
He is a children's TV presenter, that is all.

Here, check out this video to get an idea of how to improve your delivery. It's a video that deals with the same topic as yours, but take note in the length of time it is, and how much info he can give you without making your head spin. Also note how his pitch changes to keep from sounding monotone and boring.
youtu.be/V8I1oEdRSgc

shorten your video you damn faggot bill nye is a retard you didn't need to take 20 damn minutes "dismantling" an obvious retard opinion or belief that he has or his dumb ass show

Is he really a scientist?

Arguing over science with him empowers him.
Only argue about his qualification to argue to utterly destroy him.

daiichi was a great example of early nuclear tech carelessness. It will always be used as an example for fear mongering shitheads.

That complaint annoyed me too. One reason it takes so long to build the plants is because of government regulation. How about we get the government to encourage the construction of nuclear power plants? (assuming we can do so safely).

People have mentioned the length to me before. I'm trying to cut the videos down. I suspect you really would've hated my original edit on this one, before I cut it substantially down. In general, when I start talking, I want to thoroughly explain myself. That's where the length is coming from.

I'm working on getting it to a good length though. I'm watching the analytics page to see how far people get through it and then I'll keep shaving video times until most people are completing the video.

No.
He only has a bachelors in engineering.
He's a fucking car mechanic

I never said the Governments don't care...

I said Governments don't last forever. All Governments collapse eventually. The USSR collapsed, look at Chernobyl.

The risk never goes away.

STOP IT
stop taking him seriously
He is posing as a scientist when he is not qualified
He has never been a scientist so stop taking him seriously

If he specialize in Debunking per se, he has plenty of material to cover.

perfect length is 12 minutes for this video, talk quicker you talk like you're reading something also your video is reminiscent of other altkike videos

you don't have a clue what you're talking about

>
that was trash - don't bother

Yet another altright YouTube channel circle jerking against people with actual expertise. Great. Just what we needed.

I don't think Cheronobyl was caused by the collapse of the Soviet Union. The reactor had multiple design flaws, safety systems deliberately off, and simulated a power failure which all at the same time. Governments that can responsibly handle nuclear power, and I think the US Is a good example, nuclear provides 20% of our electricity, should use nuclear as a safe, clean, relatively (to solar) cheap energy source.

there are extremely high standards and rigorous attention to detsil necessary, so however inartful your statement, it's a valid consideration to demand that only truly civilized nations possess such powers.

OP, I have a theory regarding Mr. Nye and the Left.

>Atheism+ is a (cancerous thing), destroys the logos of the Atheist movement, many of whom were not antagonistic towards Christianity.
>People need authority beyond the world to look up to
>Left creates a "Cult of Science"
>Neil DeGrasse-Tyson is the God, with Bill Nye and the Green siblings as his prophets.
>To slight them for their inconsistencies and or failures is now "Anti-Science" (Heresy and/or Blasphemy)
>Their "Heaven" is a world where there are no CO2 producing machines, a society where all races are one, and "salvation" is accepting the dogma of SJWism and "Science" (The Cult of)

Work on the echo

Do you have any specific criticisms that could help me do better in the future? Or, specific points where I've gotten Bill Nye, or the science, wrong?

You talk way too fucking slowly OP. I'm not sitting through twenty mintues of that bullshit.

ahh, good job, but you sound like a cunt,
sorry mate, giving feedback, sound more like you know this shit, you know.. like why we would all bang russian bitch from evangalion, even in the mech. and sound less like nick cage.

dude you did a good don't worry. Keep working on it and remember to always take the criticism, even the worst of it, with a stiff upper lip.

Do you mean the "sound" of my voice, or that I should say different words or patterns?

I've heard that feedback before. I'll experiment and work on how I can get a faster pace. One thing I'm worried about is that it'll be harder for people to follow if I'm just spitting out words as quickly as possible.

>You're not qualified!
>But a mechanical engineer is lol

i took one environmental engineering course in college, i probably know more about environmentally friendly energy sources than bill lol

OP i'm surprised you didn't say
>Hey, what's happening?
youtube.com/watch?v=kVmC0ktznNo

Didn't Nye change his stance on nuclear during a talk at like TAM or something last year? I distinctly remember this but I could be retarded

Hah! I actually had something like that at the start, but I took it out in favor of the intro I currently have. Editing my own videos is actually a really neat process for me to understand what's happening in some other videos. I've only done a tiny bit (basically this video) but I already feel like I've learned a ton.

Bill Nye literally does nothing wrong in this video:

youtube.com/watch?v=qN5L2q6hfWo

The show on sexuality is pretty bad, but I don't really understand the unconditional hate he's getting.

Another Jew using subversion to push an agenda? You don't say!

lol'd hard at this post

OP buy a better mic, honestly will take you a long way

t. media

lefty here
Keep spreading this, ffs I've been staying off bill nye because I just don't give a fuck (didn't watch him as a kid) but anti nuclear is fucking retarded. Shill nuclear, push it fucking hard as your dick in a submissive redpilled white woman.

Bill Nye, one invention, low level degree, professional TV presenter, never employed as a scientist en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nye

I mean look at Chernobyl today.
nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/27/science/chernobyl-capping-a-catastrophe.html?_r=0

The USSR doesn't exist, and Governments still need to pour a fortune into it.

What about Fukushimas royal fuckup?

Even if the chance of catastrophic disaster resulting in dumping tons of nuclear waste into the ocean is 0.001% would you take it?

The japs are usually good with infrastructure like Germans before germanistan was a thing.

Should US burgers let alone dindus and poo in loos be trusted with this kind of endeavor?

So here's my issue with videos like this. My Politics lean left, but I watch channels with similar personalities like this often (Steven Crowder, Sargon, Ben Shapiro, 1791L, etc).
My biggest turn off that right off the bat i know you have a disdain for Bill and probably left-wing people in general. Which is fine if you're audience is people who browse Sup Forums. But if you want to have a broader discussion and potentially redpill lefties, you'll need different angle.
The casual sexism is a no go.
Did you mention anything that you actually liked about the episode? If not, you'll come looking like a partisan hack.
Replace critizism with suggestions for improvement (which i see you do a little of towards the end).
I didn't watch the whole video but did you discuss the dangers of nuclear power and waste management? I know they're generally not a big issue in the current year but we've seen eviromental impacts as recent as the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. Given the cost of disasters like that, is that not reason enough to find ways to improve renewable energy sources?
Did you discuss the changing efficiencies I'm solar and wind energy over the past few decades? Or how that efficiency could increase under government subsidies or active free market?
Personally i don't believe Bill against nuclear for political reasons, but because renewable may have the potential to beat out nuclear given more time to develop.
Also, im not sure why science as entertainment is a bad thing as long as it's actually science. I assumed that's the point of the show.

But this is just like my opinion man. I'm just a random on the internet.

>climate change is 100% caused by human activity
no scientist would ever endorse that statement, even those who agree that climate change is happening. Personally, i do believe that the climate is changing at least partly because of human activity, but not absolutely because of human activity. Also that climate change won't end all life on earth, the earth adapts to changing climates, as does life on earth in due time.

You can't predict the weather next month accurately what makes you think you could predict the weather in the next 10 years.

Another thing is that people wanting to control the weather essentially have to control people's lives which has a lot of political implications, this has gone beyond just a scientific matter into a political one simply for the fact that people would have to change the way they live just to "deter" this threat to our existance, there's a lot of money and power at stake assuming you get people willing enough to do so

>Bill Nye being against nuclear energy doesn't make any sense
When you understand that he isn't an environmentalist or a warrior for the poor but an antihumanist Malthusian it makes much more sense.

Look up "Merchants of despair" by Robert Zubrin for an explanation on what those are. Tldr they view humans as evil and enemies of mother Earth

>What about Fukushimas royal fuckup?
straight from wiki
>On 5 July 2012, the Fukushima Nuclear Accident Independent Investigation Commission (NAIIC) found that the causes of the accident had been foreseeable, and that the plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), had failed to meet basic safety requirements such as risk assessment, preparing for containing collateral damage, and developing evacuation plans. On 12 October 2012, TEPCO admitted for the first time that it had failed to take necessary measures for fear of inviting lawsuits or protests against its nuclear plants
basically it was negligence on the company's part as well as the tsunami. But if they had met safety requirements the plant would've been fine.

It's damn near impossible to cause a nuclear meltdown in the US even if you drove a plane into a plant. There's so many regulations and failsafes it's almost ludicrous.

I think there should be western investments in nuclear energy into other countries simply because it'll enhance their economy and make them self-sustaining making us pay less in federal aid. Poos already have nuclear energy idiot.

youre doin good work, OP

keep making these

GOTTA MAKE THOSE YOUTUBEBUCKS, SHILL US MORE OF YOUR CONTENT PLEASE.

What is wrong with the audio? I've heard this complaint a lot, so I believe it, but I just don't hear it myself. I realize there are a few points where there is a weird sound, or a hum comes on in the background and abruptly cuts off. Are these the problems you mean?

Nuclear disasters can definitely be bad, once they've happened. However, in a modern reactor following modern safety protocols they are extremely unlikely to have disasters. Similarly, a dam bursting might flood a town and kill way more people, but that doesn't mean we can't use hydroelectric power.

Regarding Fukushima, they didn't know when the tsunami was coming, but they knew one was possible. Compare that to somewhere like Arizona, where a tsunami is really unlikely.

>Even if the chance of catastrophic disaster resulting in dumping tons of nuclear waste into the ocean is 0.001% would you take it?
For sure. Water does a great job of stopping radiation. The negligible (compared to the ocean) amount of nuclear material, combined with the fact that water is the ideal thing to cover nuclear waste means that this is a good choice. I expect it might kill a few fish at worst.

>Should US burgers
The US already gets 20% of electricity from nuclear, and has for decades. Other countries may be worse (or better) candidates for nuclear power.

>He is a children's TV presenter, that is all.

THIS IS FOR ADULTS, OK?!

What about nuclear waste that cannot be reused or the fact that people won't put up millions of dollars of capital before the project can even see any electricity generated? I think geothermal or natural gas is better simply because it doesn't have the waste and can offer similar results with nuclear

>But this is just like my opinion man. I'm just a random on the internet.
Thanks, I appreciate it. This is exactly like the feedback I was hoping to get. I watch a few of those channels you mention myself, and they are definitely an influence on me.

Regarding the "casual sexism" can you say specifically what you mean? I'm afraid it was so casual that I've forgotten exactly what it was.

I like your idea about replacing criticism with suggestions for improvement, and also talking about things I like. Adding more positivity may be helpful.

I didn't go into any detail around the dangers of nuclear power or waste management. I briefly reference Fukushima by saying that nuclear power plants can be safely constructed in areas where tsunamis or earthquakes can't occur. Going into more detail here would've been a good idea for me, although it would have stretched my already long time.

One thing I struggled with was whether or not I was making a case against Bill's scientific conclusion, or about what I see as his social agenda. I chose to set the science element aside and focus on the social agenda. I would've been happy if Bill debated the controversy over nuclear though, rather than just shut down the pro-nuclear guy and act like everyone agreed with his position.

>Also, im not sure why science as entertainment is a bad thing as long as it's actually science. I assumed that's the point of the show.
What I mean by this is that it's not really science. He has flasks, and lab coats, and says the word "science" a lot, but science is about investigating things, posing hypotheses and testing them. Science as a setting means that Bill just has the trappings of science, without the actual core. He doesn't validate or invalidate any hypothesis, he doesn't dig into how we know or don't know things, he stays away from controversy. Why? I think it's to promote his social agenda.

>You talk way too fucking slowly OP

Posting to reiterate this. The slow pace comes off as condescending or snobbish.

This. Rayton Solar is the explanation for Nye's "skeptical" outlook on nuclear. He has a financial stake in boosting for solar panels and casting doubt on the viability of nuclear energy.

Stop being Pleps

Not an argument.

An easy way to think about it is all the radioactive elements that we will use in our reactors are currently in the ground right now, until we mine them and put them in our reactor.

Depositing the radioactive waste back into the ground (into a secure tunnel or cavern constructed or selected for the purpose) might be expensive, but not inherently dangerous. We have a ton of space to bury nuclear waste, and no real reason not to.

just finished the vid, can you pull stats about public opinion from pew instead of the NEI? just seems like you're opening yourself to questions about biased statistics

>reminiscent of other altkike videos
>altkike

>calling out bill nye's hypocrisy and political agenda
>kike

what the fuck man

2 mins in are your already a dumb asss. He is showing that the fluid has a higher PH level. those chemicals change when you add co2 (his breath) they react and change color it shows a visual. he is not saying the water could change he is saying that adding co2 raises that ph which kills off ocean life.

I probably should've just used the Gallup poll, or pew if I could find the relevant pew survey. That would've made the video shorter, and removed any concern about the biased statistics. I'll remember that for future videos. Good feedback!

I'm at a loss for what else to use instead of the powerpoint. I don't want to put my face on camera (nor do I think the audience would want that!). I could have an avatar or icon or something like that, but to me the powerpoint just seemed more informative.

Do you have something else to suggest?

NOTES:
-Try not to have so many static shots. It looks like powerpoint
-Everything in this can be cut for time. Should be 8-10 min.
-I like how you point out that BN doesn't like specific numbers. Well, this is a show for adults. When he had a show for kids it was much more involved mathematically. A supercut of his old show v his new show could highlight that dumbing down.

what about the mining or transportation of uranium or plutonium from one place to another? Or the massive amount of money needed just for construction and just the paperwork?

Just because sargon talks shit about bill's retardation doesn't make him any less of a kike.

Also- Is this a pro nuclear power vid or a "BN is an idiot" vid? It should be one or the other, preferably the latter. It can't really be both.

Buy a fucking $100+ microphone ASAP

There are lots of spots to cut for time. Lots. I do this for a living. Are you in LA by chance.

I think you mean lowering the pH levels. Higher levels are basic, lower are acidic. Carbonic acid forms when carbon dioxide dissolves in sea water and makes the water more acidic.

I intended to acknowledge that ocean acidification is a real thing, but the point I was trying to convey was that instead of talking about how much acidification has happened, what are the ramifications, what can we do to stop it, how much effect will our actions have, etc, Bill spends all his time changing the color of water and talking to supermodels. This is, science as entertainment - and oh by the way no nuclear, and not real science. (Not denying ocean acidification, just that "real science" would be more concerned with investigation etc)

>adding CO2 raises the pH
look who's the retard now. back to gen chem faggot

he recieved all those honorary rewards simply for his old tv show, not even joking thats what john hopkins said when they gave it to him. Also note the word "honorary". Actually anything of note on this list could be all traced back to the fact that he got it for the popularity from his TV show and people act like that gives him any authority.

Putting a fucking sundial on a rover isn't a fucking achievement besides the gimmicky nature of using a sundial besides a clock and this article implies that it was used simply for the aesthetic and not scientific purpose.

news.cornell.edu/stories/2003/12/bill-nyes-cool-interplanetary-sundial-heads-mars

Bill Nye is a damn hack

>He's a fucking car mechanic
made me kek

I have a blue yeti microphone (a little more than a hundred dollars). I think I have it setup correctly (cardiod input mode, and I scaled the gain while talking to someone over Skype until they said it sounded the best). Still, I'm getting a lot of feedback about the microphone. It's made worse by the fact that I don't hear it. Possible the problem is the room I'm in, or maybe the microphone rattling.

I'm not in LA, alas. Are you talking about cutting the pauses between words, or moments where I take a breath? Or paring down the content that I'm actually speaking? Or both?

There is massive cost and mining involved in any kind of power plant construction. Mining radioactive materials may be more complicated, but we seem to have it down at this point. Regarding the paperwork and complications, that's true, but I think a lot of that is political barriers put up by people who don't like nuclear power (i.e. the democrats).

Oh boy Karlie Kloss....I'd hatefuck her so bad.