Somebody just posted a gold standard thread, which is all well and good, except one thing:

Somebody just posted a gold standard thread, which is all well and good, except one thing:

Gold will be only moderately useful and valuable in a SHTF scenario. Chances are, if you have it, people will want more of it than you are likely to want to give away in exchange for things you can actually use or eat. Gold is... okay.

The real post-apocalyptic currency of note? BULLETS! Of course, bullets. They have everything:

>cheaper to stock up on right now than gold
>actually useful in and of themselves
>will only increase in scarcity and value in a SHTF scenario

So, what kinds of bullets should you get? The smart money is on .22... as a small game round, it will likely be used up faster than many other calibers. Get as many variants as possible; nothing wrong with a little variety, and it's not like you are going to be shooting them out of your own guns. There's a good chance the people you buy things from with them will also continue to just keep them in circulation.

Buy as many different kinds of bullets as you can and a gun safe. A gun safe filled completely with bullets will make you a well-off entity once the Reckoning comes. It's the only right choice.

>being on the gold standard means we actually have gold in our pockets

No

Paper money based on gold would be even worse in an apocalypse than having gold.
Toilet paper is the money of the future

any type of common round will be valuable. you're right, gold will be a meme because of its awkward scale of value, a cheaper metal like silver that can be broken down into smaller denominations would be much more valuable if anything

I don't care what kind of magic scrip you have clogging your wallet. If there is a global currency collapse, it will be quite some time before things like gold-backed currency would actually take hold. In the intervening time, I would like to continue doing vital functions. I am sure that bullets are better thing to horde than gold in all cases.

Lead and brass are even more valuable.

Can you imagine the labor, expense, and experiments, not to mention the urine that would be necessary to start making bullets from scratch again?

>it's the piss man again
>the piss man is the richest man in these parts
>just comes and gets the piss
>makes it into black powder, he does
>way over there on that hill
>we call that hill piss hill
>that's on account of the piss man and all

>>actually useful in and of themselves
No they aren't, they're given value via a gun, if you don't have a gun and the people around you don't they have as little value as pretty much anything.
Not to mention a collapse like this won't happen.

KEK

and another americana folk legend is born, the piss man over yonder

>a collapse won't happen
>said everyone, ever

Guns are super durable, super valuable goods. They don't tend to disappear. They stay in the hands of their owners or are traded. They, in fact, become useless without bullets. But since it would be silly to trade the far-less-plentiful guns to whoever had hordes of bullets, I prefer to just trade the bullets.

Gold has no value except aesthetics in a pre-industrial world. Bullets can be converted into brass and lead

Best SHTF currencies
>Bullets
>Batteries
>Food
>Medicine
>Clean/Safe Water
>Sex Appeal (mostly for women)
>Fuel
>Usable Metal (Iron, Aluminium, Copper, Lead)

Best sources of power (as in control)
>Safety
>Replenish-able Supplies (crops, livestock, a water purifier)
>Other people (enforcers and protectors)

I'm sure there's ones I missed.

> Gold has no value except aesthetics in a pre-industrial world
Except the fact that gold literally did have a shit ton of value nearly universally throughout the pre-industrial world.

I like and agree with your list.

Now, with that on the table, look how much bigger everything is. Maybe not medicine, but medicine also expires. Batteries are the next-closest, but they are also heavy and also expire. Nonetheless, I was pleased to see them there.

Toiletries as well. After 3 years of using leaves, what would you give for toilet paper?
Maybe I am forgeting something. What?

It will not be the same when you have true scarcity in a former first-world country. We are all so thoroughly delanded, deskilled, and domesticated that horrifying desperation will quickly set in. You have to think not of the reorganized world, but a world of absolute immediacy, where the only politics is how to react when you see a stranger near your place and how you treat your friends you've managed to pick up along the way. Gold was awesome back in the day because people thought it was magic. We won't have the same issues they did.

Yes, gold had no intrinsic value in a pre-industrial world, but that's not why gold as a currency is always valuable.

It's the initial COST of mining it that imbues gold with an 'intrinsic' value when it has none if it just dropped out of the skies. It's one of the reasons why bitcoin has an 'intrinsic' value when all it is, in reality, is some bits of codes in cyberspace. For bitcoin to be mined, much resource has to go into mining it.

Yeah, but people won't care that it was expensive to mine after the world has ended.

You're off by two for a reason

When alien criminal geneticists escaped their space prison and crossed forest pigs with bonobos in order to create a slave race to mine gold, they instilled us with a genetically driven lust for the stuff.

Once they had enough gold for their dilithium cracking operation to make fuel to escape the earth they left us behind, and now all the civilized space races are debating in council whether it would be ethical or not to slam a large neutronium cylinder into our planet at relativistic speeds in order to prevent us from becoming spaceborne

For now they've just marked the planet off limits, even xenoanthropologists are only allowed to observe from the moon, and at their own risk

touche.

I fully expect to see bullet horde threads in the near future. Be smart, people! When they turn off the internet, you will be so glad!

You can have all the gold you want
Now let's say I have good and your hungry and all you have is gold
All your gold is now worth a fucking sandwich

toilet paper
feminine hygiene products

>she, yes, that is the tampon duchess
>they say she found a tractor-trailer full of tampex down a ravine by modesto
>now she's just swimming in bullets, i'll tell you
>regular folk never get lucky

lighters
coffee
cigarettes

Liquor.
Broad Spectrum Anibiotics.
Vitamins.
Soap.

Solar panels

Bullets are incredibly valuable.
So are high quality knives and tools
Medical supplies of any kind
Rations
Tactical or camping clothing and gear
Blankets
Basically all the things people absolutely need to survive

I see you also played metro 2033

I'm broke af I only got .22lr atm

>bullets
Liquor, actually.

KNIVES.

Okay, no where near as valuable but I love them so much more. Just got one of (pic related). Excellent tool. I want just two more knives and my spergy knife collection will be complete!

Or maybe three...

I can make liquor much easier than I can make bullets. All I need for decent wine is a vapor lock and a big glass carboy. Where I love, those are everywhere. Actually, where I live, we will be okay. We are a net exporter of food, and there are a sizeable number of good AnBap folks who will share their fields with us in the form of Mennonites. Plus, there are never-ending blackberries in the summer. It's an actual superfood. That and black bear fat is pemican, and once we let the dams go, there will be plenty of salmon...

But I am getting ahead of myself.

Post your collection, I love knives.

If SHTF gets so bad to the point that people are breaking into homes and murdering people for their gold. I'm going to be thinking long term so I'll be taking over land and building and claiming them as my own so when everything goes back to normal via new system or government, I'll be the proud owner of new assets.

.223 for like $.30 each if you buy 1000 or more is the best deal I can find at LAX ammo

>When you run out of regular ammo and have to switch to military grade ammo.

>when everything goes back to normal via new system or government
user I...

.22??? have fun with your gun jams. I'll be here with .223 and my mini 14

I actually have a solution for this. Simply combine the Department of the treasury with the BATFE and DEA. Now, all our currency is backed in cocaine and plastic explosives. Bam, instant solvency.

This is the best and only multitool, unless you have a special job that requires a special multitool. I have owned like 7 of these guys; indispensable.

They aren't for shooting, silly.

You can make pemmican from any meat with high fat content.
You dry the meat, grind it down to coarse powder then add dried ground berries and rendered fat.

>when shooting hurts your wallet more than it hurts your enemies

I should look into this...

>now she's just swimming in bullets
Kek

>The real post-apocalyptic currency of note? BULLETS! Of course, bullets
>Gold has no value except aesthetics in a pre-industrial world
Jeez, these arguments again
Gold has unique properties no other store of value haves:
- It does not degrade. You can bury it into known place innawoods and know, that it will still be there 30 years later. Pita to to near impossible to do with food, water etc.
- It has excellet weight to value ratio. You can take 100 000$ worth of gold and run for your life. Try the same with guns, fuel, food etc.
- It's main value is being percieved as valuable. Thus even if the society degrades to pre-industrial level it has value. Unlike many other commodities.
- The black market for gold is much larger and less violent than black market for guns etc. As long as there is single Jew left, you will get some value for your gold.
etc. etc.

shiiiiett

But gold itself has no value. I will get use out of a bullet. The only thing I can think of that it would be useful for would be forging something out of it that wouldn't degrade, but that thing would be extremely malleable.

gold wont mean shit if shit really does go down. if something doesnt have a pragmatic use its intrinsic value will be naught

7 captchas? are you fucking kidding me mook?

If ammo isn't kept cool and dry, it degrades.

>degraded brass
>flaky bullet lubricants

Gold is gold.

Gold has a limited value that isn't guaranteed to survive a SHTF scenario. Bullets, as long as they are maintained, have physical value and would be able to be used for bartering

>giving ammo to your enemy
how about not