Lingua Latinum

if you don't speak at least a modicum of Latin get the fuck off Sup Forums. Latin has been the primary language of all learned European people's throughout history and it would do us all well to speak it. get some books on the subject I recommend learn to read Latin.
amazon.com/Learn-Read-Latin-Andrew-Keller/dp/0300102151
steer clear of what are essentially baby Latin books i.e. anything with pictures or too much history.
for the burgers here I know most of us got screwed in high school/university especially when it comes to grammer and classical studies but stick with it and this will help.
S.V.B.E.E.V.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_founded_by_the_Romans
pdf-archive.com/2014/04/19/wheelock-s-latin-6th-edition/wheelock-s-latin-6th-edition.pdf
warmenhoven.org/latin/grote/
youtube.com/watch?v=dKG68y2VC0Y&list=PLI76N29qybf8a9pkSzD9X0PX3a3PgO2_-
youtube.com/watch?v=MtdbBEOP9jk
youtu.be/5UNwjB-k6aI
youtube.com/watch?v=_enn7NIo-S0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Learning Greek is better, unlike Romans they actually have interesting shit to read.

Fuck Rome.

Guess fuck Europe too, because pretty much every major city in Europe was a Roman colony.

Say it with me:

"Hannibal ad portas"

>every major city in Europe was a Roman colony
>Americans believe this

Fuck Latin.

> Period.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_founded_by_the_Romans
try not being a cuck for like 2 seconds pls

>any bong city
>major city
You shut your whore mouth you filthy pig blood painting raw meat eating barbar.
Why do burgers keep saying "period" ? It sounds completely retarded and cringe worthy. It's like "hold on", "like like like" or "literally". Do you say that to sound more sophisticated or something?

You said every major city in Europe. That doesn't look like EVERY major city in Europe to me. And the Romans built upon existing settlements and settled the tribes that lived in these areas in those settlements.

I said "pretty much," which implies I did not mean EACH AND EVERY INDIVIDUAL MAJOR CITY in the literal sense. Get your comprehension in line there Achmed Bin-Al Mohammad.

Oh be quiet you dirty, shitskinned, Moor rape monkey.

At least unlike UK, Spain beat their Muslims.
Spain - 1
UK(uck) - 0

>Achmed Bin-Al Mohammed
Noticed a trend. Most of the people coming out with names like that have origins on r/the_cuckold. So which one of pic related are you, Mongrel?

>i noticed a trend that i have seen from my daily perusing of reddit
I wouldn't know. You have to go back, Achmed.

Spain beat their Muslims? The Berbers bred into their bloodline across the entire Iberian Peninsular you silly little shitskin.

You are so obvious it's unbelievable. I can spot you faggots a mile away just by the way you type. Back you go, Mongrel.

guys can we stick to the topic of the thread? how do we get the west back on track to its routes in antiquity? are there ways in which we can begin to reimplement classical education instead of the Marxist shit that's been flowing out of universities since the 30s?

>lingua latinum
>not lingua latina

american education everyone.

It's too late, my friend.
>"We have in fact entered upon the final phase…, the darkest period of this dark age, the state of dissolution from which there is to be no emerging except through a cataclysm, since it is no longer a mere revival which is required, but a complete renovation."

That's that Australian flag you dumb cunt.

I'm good with latin to english but english to latin I'm all romanus eunt domus

if we managed to revive Hebrew you can revive Latin

why would you tie a scarf from the corner at the top of your head rather than in the middle.

morére! Ō maledictus vir

I don't know i'm not a camel jockey.

american latinboos are worse than weaboos.

I am currently working my way through Wheelocks (6th ed)
>pdf-archive.com/2014/04/19/wheelock-s-latin-6th-edition/wheelock-s-latin-6th-edition.pdf
with the aid of Grote's study guides
>warmenhoven.org/latin/grote/
Cambridge Latin on youtube
>youtube.com/watch?v=dKG68y2VC0Y&list=PLI76N29qybf8a9pkSzD9X0PX3a3PgO2_-
a battered old copy of Cassell's new compact Latin/English dictionary
and any Latin pdf's I can find and download.
My aim is to be able to read Newtons Principica one day.
What I would like is a website where I can hear Latin spoken so I can try to translate and understand it conversationally. I can't find anything on youtube. Can anyone help?

Anyone interested in a study group? I'm slogging through Cicero right now.

Yup. How?
I'm a beginner, though.

Discord or something.

>Discord
I'd prefer something. Discord sucks.
I really am a starter, though (currently on chapter 3 of Wheelocks), so I might be a bit first grade for you.

I'd recommend going for Roman texts such as the Aneid instead of principia, Newton was a good scientist but boy was he bad at Latin. as for conversational Latin the closest you'll find is in letters from the era or plays from Plautus and the like. there are some classics websites and videos that will help with pronunciation and learning to properly read scansion. since you're in the uk and not burgerland I'd recommend going to local universities which would have classes dedicated to the subject plus there might also be some latin language clubs there as well.

Cheers. Hadn't thought of going to a college. Not a bad idea.
>there are some classics websites and videos that will help with pronunciation and learning to properly read scansion
such as?

Really makes you think

>Lingua Latinum
>being this pleb

I might try and get some resources and try to start either a Roman or classics general. it maybe would make more sense on /lit/ or /his/ but I guess it's better than the shitposting threads of some of your countrymen

Mmmmm...

at least we still have an empire, puer

If you want to learn pronounciation learn how to pronounce Italian and then use the Latin rules. Italian is just a heavy dialect of Latin anyway.

it's the thread title I put it I without thinking desu. I was going to put in some other Latin phrase like the one at the end but I woke up with a hangover so fuck it.

Cool. Thank you very much.

no this is wrong
don't listen to toothpaste there's a mountain of evidence to the contrary. Google Latin restored historical pronunciation. this should help, remember c is always hard, there are long and short vowels I is occasionally consonantal sounding like j so are v and u, v is pronounced like w and u is just u. rolling your Rs is correct and there is some nasalisation of final Ms(meaning you don't pronounce it like in French)

Which is why I said ''and then use the Latin rules''

Fascinating language, and knowledge of this will help you get to grips with other European languages if you ever need be. More communication between the European tribes in this time of domination would work.

puellam silvam entrant

I know about the c's, v's and r's and the silent j's, but I have trouble with the dipthongs, and with the proper vocalization of long and short vowels. But mainly, I want to hear spoken latin so I get a better idea of composition of sentences, SOV is all very well, but when I'm given a phrase to translate by one of my study sources it seems to me that Latin word order is a hellava lot free'er than I'm used to as an English speaker. I also struggle with the whole "figure out what the whole sentence has to means before saying it aloud" thing. I suppose that's a good thing, though.

We don't speak spic langauges here. Fuck off.

nice b8 m8 no h8

i kek at peopel who think Latin can be revived

we spoke hebrew only at prayers and even then we didnnt know what wewere saying and then zionism happens the idea that hebrews need to speak hebrew and if we wont our countru will never be established so we starting reiving the language and now all jewish israelis speak hebrew

*cant

you didn't make it mast 5th grade did you cletus?

Changing the language you speak you will change the way you think

hell, I wish i could read Cicero and Julius Caesar in original latin

youtube.com/watch?v=MtdbBEOP9jk

50% of English is Latin, stupid burger

I tried studying classical Greek and Latin for a year in uni but turns out it's absolutely, horridly boring with no real-life application besides muh cultural elitism. English is today's latin, suscipe eam

i tried studieng arhamic and Hebrew at heder for a year and its absouletley horribly boring with no real life applicetion besides muh culteral elitesm. Yiddish is today's Hebrew, oy vey

>Is american pig
>Tells europeans what language we should speak
>Chooses shit skin language over germanic language
Greek was the language of the roman elite, ony plebs speak latin

kys

Deus vult youtu.be/5UNwjB-k6aI

even the neutral Latin word order that's supposedly the most correct doesn't pan out in Latin texts. remember Latin has natural economy and many things especially subjunctives are context dependent and don't have one translation. you can't really have conversational Latin and learn it as you would a living language it's really something you have to study by means of wrote memorisation or having a professor guide you which is why taking a class is something I strongly recommend.

I speak french, does that count?

I have my university exam for Latin in 23 days. Not looking forward to it. Memorising Latin verbs is literally hell.

except Latin and Italian are increadably different. Latin is to Italian what Middle English is to modern English

This was the case until Latin literature took off during 1st century BC.

WE WUZ ROMANZ

>Italian are increadably different

LOL

No. Even French is very similar. I don't speak a word but after having learned some Latin I can understand basic French sentences.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

Friendly reminder that greek was the language of all learned roman citizens, if you don't speak greek you need to gtfo of Sup Forums

Like they didn't build a giant wall in England to keep your Scottish barbarian niggers off their land

>latinum
Cringed

Hello Londinium.

1. Latin to Romance language is easier than the other way around
2.italian is incredibly different with regard to pronunciation than Classical Latin

You people are the biggest we wuzzer

You even learned hebrew hahahaha

I bet many of you fuckers think you are related to ancient hebrews

Only semitic jews can claim israel, you askhenazis faggots must go back to europe

you know what i said was sarcastic trying to mock pepole who say taht Latin cannot be revived
we all speak english now and no im not going back to europe beacuse i like living
>only semetic jews can claim israel
thast were youre wrong kiddo

>remember Latin has natural economy and many things especially subjunctives are context dependent
Now that makes a lot of sense. Thank you. It's a bit clearer now.
It's difficult learning this on your own using a book written so long ago, which is why I am so gratefull to Mr Grote for his chapter notes. Unfortunately, I don't live in a metropolis so finding a friendly Latin teacher nearby isn't really an option.
I will stick at it though. I believe in lifelong learning, and try to learn something new every day, even if it doesn't seem to have immediate practical applications.
Thank you for your help, everybody.
Gratias tibi (I think that's right).

Let's bring our glory back

France knows what's up, Vivat Europa!

Si Vales Bene Est, Ego Valeo.

If you can't read Latin you are a disgrace to Western Civilization.

>Si Vales Bene Est, Ego Valeo.
If it's good to be strong, then I will be strong?

Yep but by learning Italian pronounciation it still becomes easier to learn Latin which was my point.

Sorry Again?

How you fucking dare illiterate yankee? Many Italians words came from the latin, many local dialect accents came from latin. Educate yourself and don't dare to come in Rome this summer to get a pic outside the colosseo.

We do not know how classical Latin pronunciation sounded my boy.

tl;dr Latin can be revived beacuse we tried and sucedded to revive a dead language

veni vidi vici

how is it pronounced?

wenee, widee, wikee

OP it would be Lingua Latina

Both words would be in the nominative singular because use are using them as names.

London was literally founded by romans, its called londinium, search it up

youtube.com/watch?v=_enn7NIo-S0

How the fuck you know i am russian and not a jew ??

Cлaвa Pycь cлaвa Пyтин !!!

Still i have no problem with fake askenazi jews i have problem with zionist american jews and mizrahi shitskin short jews from Afrika and midel East i have no. problem with polish russian belarussian ukrainian fake jews here

Roma delenda est

Medicine open my eyes for latin and koine greek

Secrum regnum russium emperium slavanium ??

Ave Putinus valdimirus santus edipus incestus

Salve amerikus pidarasus pindusus burgerium

Agios satanos fortuna viva luna

If you want the the Lingua Franca of surrendering, knowing all will you speak to will understand, sure.

No

Meus Anus magnum est
My old lady is big
I love Latin, tho im really bad at it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest
Hit you so hard your emperor became mental

t. upset pakis and beaners