Genetically Engineered Superhumans or Transhumanism

Which one Sup Forums?

Both.

Combination? Fair enough.

Bump.

Genetically Engineered all the way.

Transhumanism is basically just sticking an iPhone up your ass and wearing an exoskeleton. Besides, it's intelligence and creativity that will win in the end, NOT if your ass can make phone calls and you can lift cars.

By the end of 2017 I wanna look like this guy

Transhumanism all the way. Being able to trespass the biological barrier could make humans theorically inextinguishable from any catastrophe. We would become literal lovecraft monsters.

What's the difference?

I have no idea where both stand for.

Essentially GE is for changing humans within the bounds of biology - using the genetic code.
Transhumanism refers more to transcending the bounds of biology, consciousness transfer into hardrives and electronic/mechanic/biology interfacing. TH is a pipe dream at this point in time imo. So maybe GE first, and then TH.

Think it like superman and green lantern, Superman has all his powers through pure biological mutations and structure of his own body, that would be theorically possible through biological engineering.
But Green Lantern is capable of his powers because of an invention (the green ring would be an outsider artifact, categorize it as scientific) bout it doesn't stop there, the ring can transcend your whole existence into another planes and materialize your thoughts (a new era of internet)

Transhumanism but with genetic engineered flesh on the outside, think terminator 2 type body, a cybernetic organism.

a body that is nearly indestructible and with the ability for my mind to transfer to unlimited bodies that I chose when new better bodies are developed, upgrade.

the outside of the body has actual living human flesh and blood grafted to the body.

no eating, no sleeping, no pain unless I choose to do or feel these things.

Another autists LARP about the future thread.
For all you know, society will collapse under nuclear war and we'll be back to full on barbarism for 1000 years.
That's more likely that your autistic comic book tier fantasies.

If transhumanism is the effort of improving the human condition thru technology, then genetic modification is just one way of achieving that.
I still don't see how they're mutually exclusive.

>it's vaguely possible that something catastrophic will happen so let's not even discuss possible future technologies
Ok, Muhammad.

Fantasize is free :(

Ideally both
With genetical engineered humans you could create truly equal human beings, both in mind and in body
You could also create a true equality between sexes as well as recreate pure races

Transhumanism should come later, to cope with the fact that we will not be able to keep up with techonlogical advances

If western civilizations does not fall, our sons and daughters will live truly amazing lives

What's wrong with both or either?

Ethics

I don't get transhumanism. Are synthetic bodyparts just going to start repairing themselves like the human body does?

Ethics are a human creation which in many instances hold us back from scientific, technical, etc. progress and revolutions. It doesn't help that they're entirely subjective and arbitrary. Besides, you could just as easily make ethical arguments in favor of either transhumanism or genetic engineering.

If we had the ability to end all genetic disease, wouldn't it be horribly unethical to allow children to still be born with genetic diseases?

One day far in the future they might.
Until then, you can very easily repair or replace them.

Until we run out of precious metals.

>If
That's the thing, we won't.
Genetical engineering will be exclusive for the elites first, empowering them and causing a huge gap between enhanced people with money and "normals" with not that much.

> Genetical engineering will be exclusive for the elites first, empowering them and causing a huge gap between enhanced people with money and "normals" with not that much.
Hardly, gene sequencing and biotech have been and are plummeting in price and general efficacy so quickly such that the overlap time between initial expensive and cheap genetic engineering via a technology such as CRISPR is going to be a few years at the most.

I think the distinction is that GE works within the framework of biology, while TH seeks to transcend biology.

Those are interesting applications of GE (equality). I never thought of refining races, that is a cool idea. I think one of the first mass applications would be to increase general IQ for all races, so that we come to see eye to eye.

Transhumanism.
Look at it this way: you produce a child, but you add in genes from other men to make your child better. Now you are raising the genetic offspring of someone else.
You are cucking yourself

And in fact people are already doing 'garage' sequencing for bacteria. They have made them glow with an off the shelf jellyfish gene, and i believe changing yeast as well. Very cheap and easy at that level, but will get easier in the future for more complex organisms and objectives.

>run out
How's that going to happen?
What we use and discard doesn't just disappear, it's still there, buried under some landfill.
If the resources become scarce, their price will rise enough to justify digging them back up again.

Also, there's a much greater density of precious metals deeper down. What we're mining now is the low hanging fruit.
Also, asteroid mining.

>TH seeks to transcend biology.
Not really. It's just that whenever TH is discussed people plaster cyborg photos everywhere, so people get that impression.
The goal is to improve the human condition - make us stronger, faster, smarter thru the use of technology.
Genetic modification is just one way of achieving that.

Porque no los dos?

Eugenics

I do tend to think of TH ultimately as "uploading consciousness" ie doing away with biology, but I can see how GE is just a subsection of TH.

Genetic Engineering is literally universally superior to eugenics in every way. It's the perfection of the ideal of eugenics.

How would you guys genetically engineer humans or your own race for the future?

Drastically increase mean IQ by selecting for certain genes/SNPs, eliminate all obviously detrimental genetic diseases like Down's Syndrome, reduce or eliminate genes coding for higher ghrelin, etc. production which is the large part of the driving factor of obesity, making people physically healthier and reducing healthcare costs.

Catgirls

But at least this way we're getting rid of undesirables.

It has the potential of turning even niggers and abos into high quality humans.

Don't do it user, there's so much to live for.