"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy...

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- Alan Moore

>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit that... There is a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator, and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
- George Lucas

How do we save culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GA2tpPl-9GQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book_collecting
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/178900/codenames
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Barneyfags all need to fucking die.

Support independent content creators:
bands
filmmakers
writers

find and promote on social media the artists who aren't creating mental pacifiers for the millenial men children.

mlp is part of nerd culture?

what the fuck is nerd culture anyway?

If Barney's an indication, anything that gears toward the degenerate crowd.

Anything entry level from a genre or culture that originally had a steep learning curve or niche audience.

Star trek came first. At the time it had pretty complicated storytelling and themes. Science fiction in general has this.

Then they made a very successful science fiction children's movie. This movie epitomizes nerd culture because how how entry level and easily understandable it is.

It is why the loudest fans won't read the books; they are in the ilk of classic science fiction. (a genre originally about how governments and people will react to technological inevitability, rather than tech as a stand in for Magic, and sometimes just magic)

You cannot save a tree limb after it has been infected and rotting. It must fall off before the rot spreads. Compartmentalize it. No hope for the infected, only hope for the next generation.

Car/boat/airplane/ trains spotting Cultures ect.

cyberpunk futurists

And yes, I know the base image has a picture of Spock. Despite trek being about complicated political themes and foreign cultures, Spock is the easiest character to understand. He might as well be a robot, but them they juxtapose this by making the robot more human than Spock.

It's also a chibi. Anime faces and style are all about simplicity in theme. Themes and faces are easy to read in anime. It is for children for this reason.

>Muh art form, muh pretension.
A literal fucking multimillionaire

I can also say the MLP is not nerd culture, it's autist culture.

There is spillover between classic autists (model builders, war gamers, re-enactors) and modern autists.

The spergs are just a matter of social interaction being difficult for some people so they take on isolated hobbies. Socializing is still enjoyable, but scary and hard.

If they are social, they are social under a strict rule set or character. This way they can't make a social mistake because the rules are written.

Costume play is not about the outfit (at least originally), it is about socializing as this character so you know what social norms to imitate and perform. If something bad happens, the stigma goes to the character, not to you.

The only way it becomes nerd culture is if "nerd culture" means consuming media and representing culture that is not intended for you or you do not consume.

I don't think that is accurate. If my pasty white chubby ass wears a Tupac shirt nobody would call that nerd culture.

Nerd culture are infantilized versions of the classics to make violent and possibly radical ideas palpable for modern manchildren. If those art fags want to mature the medium they have to create their own gods.

does this mean I'm not allowed to watch anime now

it has blood and killing in it so that means it's for adults right :)

Yeah, I kinda thought so this whole time.

>it is for children for this reason
It's a medium that can be made for any demographic you retard. pic related.

American "Nerd culture" is garbage though, but any childlike elements are the least of your concern.

i guess "nerd culture" is another form of "alt right" in that it's one of the spookiest of spooks

MLP is stealth conservative agrarian culture and values

dont forget, its made by Hasbro

>that flag
barneyfag is canadian, at least get a right proxy

Why does her face look so fucking weird?

>thanks to the internet you can't tell what's a man and what's a woman anymore

Reminder mlp only got big because of Sup Forums

We don't have fun: the thread

Pretty much

(((Cronenberg) (((Jodorowsky)))
Jews fucking ruined """nerd""" culture by pushing it into the mainstream and making it more degenerate and subverted than ever before. Fix it by freeing it of Jewish influence.

Fun is for women and children to keep them occupied while daddy makes a living in the real world.

Hmmmmm.

Goddamn wish someone had told me not to get involved in autist culture.

Every single one of those faces is highly emotive and expressive.

That's the entire hook. People who normally can't read the subtle facial qualities and emotions on a real problem have no problem reading them on an anime face because the face is huge and so are the expressive features.

The plot lines of almost tall the anime you have posted are simplistic, and it's only gotten worse in the last 10 years.

The ones with more complex plot or social commentary on your post are older. Back then, anime was just animation in Japan; anime wasn't trying to be "anime".

Just because something can be made for any demographic doesn't mean it regularly is, and even if it was, you wouldn't call someone who likes Kaiji a purveyor of "nerd" culture. (and you sure as hell wouldn't see them with any kaiji merch)

It's still Barneyshit

>hates anime
>but posts on an anime board
>Reddit spacing
You have to go back.

You can't avoid autist culture. Autist culture barely exists, it's just your autism drawing you in. You either socialize under societies rules and they burn you for being weird or missing social cues, or you socialize only in character.

Their social norms and interactions follow a specific, easily repeatable patterns. Everything is reason for over excitement, the dialect is pushed back to be childlike so you don't make mistakes, or mistakes are viewed as on purpose.

The substitute for this is drinking until you don't give a fuck. Before they were called autists they were called freaks and weirdos. A lot of the time these were drunk tinkerers and doomsayers. Sometimes it was just the crazy uncle who read too much history.

Things are no different today. Either you socialize under societies rules and play until you overcome your disability or you drop out of their society.

Fuck off Reddit.

>You can't avoid autist culture
Unfortunately, I can vouch for this.

>Every single one of those faces is highly emotive and expressive
What would you prefer then? Static faces? You can still find more realistic series if you look for them. My response was to the whole "anime is a simplistic style" meme.
>it's only gotten worse in the last 10 years
Not really, you're just not remembering all of the lackluster series from the past, though that's a problem with any medium. Just look at a seasonal chart from any year before 2000 and see what I mean. I do miss OVAs though.
>Just because something can be made for any demographic doesn't mean it regularly is.
Mind telling me what visual medium has mature well written entries as the norm, because it's certainly not film or television.

Also, Kaiji is top tier.

Hasn't been a board for the discussion of Balinese bas reliefs in a long time, chum.

I am curious about "nerds." What was the first portrayal of a nerd who was obsessed with comic books and other stereotypical interests?

> Green text
> hates paragraphing
> but makes shorthand paragraphs

Retard.

I love anime, but I know what it is. I know that I can hardly tell faces and motivation apart. Many times I forget or can't tell one protagonist from the rest if they are too similar in appearance.

I love Jim Carrey movies because he's emotive and I hate Adam Sandler movies because he is not emotive, even if the humor is pretty much the same shitty slapstick with more vulgarity from Sandler.

The appeal to anime is how easily faces can be read. Themes are almost always simple, but they are absolutely excellent when they aren't. I miss out on a lot of entertainment culture because I can't pick up on the subtlety, and I am grateful that anime lets me enjoy something.

I just wish most of the shit coming wasn't infantile self insertion for autists and actually had some meaningful themes and things to think about.

>nerd
I don't think you even know what that means.

IT IS GEEK YOU FUCKING FREAK.

Actually, I think they're trying to flog nerd culture, because they actually need more nerds to handle the secret tech they want to release over the next decade or two.

>Reddit spacing, AGAIN
Fuck off, Reddit. No one cares about your Jewish ideas. Go talk about it on r/TheRedPill if you want validation from your peers.

do you understand what agrarian values are?

the paedo/ fetishists are all part of the LGBTWTFBBQ, they are cancer and appropriate everything

Cosplayers came from Japan, and Japanese anime culture's high time is nigh...

but the core of the show..come on now

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_book_collecting
>Before the late 1960s, virtually no specialized comic stores existed and the notion of comics as collectible art was in its infancy.
Same time Star Trek got big.

Star Trek had a big presence on the early internet.
>The official site for Star Trek Generations, launched in 1994, was the first site to officially publicize a feature film

I never said any of this was bad, I just said that it is what it is and it appeals to autists.

Quite frankly, I think it's a great thing. Obvious emotive expression to me feels like normal emotive expression to someone else. To a normal, the over the top expressions once again probably feel like this does to you.

Normals cringe because of how heavy handed it is.

> Also, Kaiji is top tier.

I never said it wasn't. It's my favorite on the list and perfectly describes how actual people work.

I had to sit down and think about which of my friends I felt I could actually trust in any of these games, and I I could think of just one.

The very final scene where he is given the exact amount of money that he borrowed at the start on a whim emphasizes just how much shit poor people can get themselves in over the smallest sums of money.

Not poor by lack of spirit or drive, just poor because of compulsion and poor decision making. It tells us that the poor often aren't lazy, they're instead just shitty.

> Mind telling me what visual medium has mature well written entries as the norm, because it's certainly not film or television.

Board games. Only board games have increased in complexity and depth (with some exceptions, Cards against humanity).

Everything else starts minimal, people learn from it and then it devolves.

/mlpol/ here. I can confirm too that MLP is indeed autist culture and not a nerd culture. Fuck i miss /mlpol/. Now this thread will be deleted by faggot mods because there is a pony.

Reddit didn't invent paragraphing.

I assume that's what you mean. I don't go to reddit. You can't get a conversation on reddit.

No one wants Barney in their life, faggot.

Well, alright then. I'm glad that you're able to get something out of it like that.
Just remember that that's not the medium's main appeal to most people.
For example the entry levels and shounentards just want to see cool fight scenes, though who doesn't. And the people who are more into want to see subject matter that isn't handled anywhere else (can you imagine an american eva or paranoia agent) or like to see animation used for something other than just children's series like in the west.

Also what are these board games you're talking about?

Didn't that show have what was essentially an anti-communism episode?

You clearly do because you spam it so much.

Hilarious how barneyfag is a fucking leaf, truly the worst country.

Well I absolutely hate "nerd culture" and the pieces of shit it produces.

I would burn them all at the stake if I were given permission.

But it's still Barneyshit, that's what matters.

he never posted on alt.wesleycrusher.die.die.die

Let's see your MAL so we could decide whether you're qualified to make that statement.

>How dare like minded individuals agree.

Besides "nerd culture" is being appropriated and losing what the OG's really got into. This modern """nerd""" culture is a farce full of people who think watching Game of Thrones is so counter-culture.

>Just remember that that's not the medium's main appeal to most people.

That's my entire thesis. People (autists) watch anime because the faces and emotions are easy to identify and relate with. (Even the simple face in one punch man is expressive and autists LOVE it).

Anime does over the top and crazy situations because they have to out-compete, that's also another strength of the medium that comes out of the economics of it.

Sometimes good comes of it, but let's not kid ourselves, it's predominantly a genre defined by and made for autists, and it does a good job catering to their weaknesses.

In 1995 Klaus Teuber released a game called "Settlers of Catan", a game about trade, economics and budding civilization.

It was a hit, and inspired many more games in the same vein. The 90's and beyond was a boom for board and table top gaming and there are hundreds of other more complex and developed games besides Settlers.

There are also subtle ones that involve language. These games go as deep as the players can allow them to. A simple one would be this:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/178900/codenames

Modern board games are about subtlety, resource management, sabotage and deceit. It's a far cry from static rules and strategy and randomizers (dice, cards)

I don't make a record, I go off any recommendation a friend makes and then I watch it all.

Feel free to ask a question though.

>complexities of (((modern))) existence

Except technological technicalities aside, existence is literally the same old shit; politicians are politicians, poor people are poor, all for surprisingly similar reasons...in some ways, it's even less complex than when these themes were decisively (((childish))), by nature of it being less problematic.

I get why autists might like the medium, but if we're saying it's mostly made for autists, well that mostly depends on the time period and even the studios involved, and if you include manga that changes things as well. I will agree it was mostly otaku driven during the moe boom a few years ago, but all of the light novel adaptations and psuedo edgy series we're getting makes it seem like things are shifting towards marketing to teenagers (tokyo ghoul, akame ga kill, etc.)

My friends got me to play catan once, but I got horribly sick that night, so I'll take your word on it being good, I'll check out codenames though.

Studios regularly admit to making changes and adding in characters to sell merchandise and dvds to Otaku.

They lament being forced to do this, but it's economics; these are the people buying the DVD releases.

God stop reminding me of how I was in tenth grade.

It's just so substanceless, things like OP's pic don't even capture whatever they're trying to enjoy, just the aesthetic of it. And that's the primary locus for things like Wizard World cons and Funko Pops.

It is all pretty entry level. Like I doubt most "scifi" fans have watched even slightly niche stuff like Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

>nerd culture

Consumerism based on owning the most plastic trash.

>Ever becoming a daddy

What I implying is that I doubt you've seen any anime from that pic except for Kaiji. You can just tell me which ones you have in fact seen. Also explain what constitutes a "simplistic" plot as opposed to a "complex" plot, and what a complicated political theme and complex social commentary are.