CATHOLIC GENERAL: SUNDAY OF SHEPHERD EDITION

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask question, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life.

Today is Fourth Sunday of Easter
Here are your daily readings
usccb.org/bible/readings/050717.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!
>Catholic Encyclopedia
newadvent.org/
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.K)
lms.org.uk/mass-listings
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.S/Can)
ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm
>Laudate App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CB3H05OhVDI
lifesitenews.com/news/church-is-gravely-mistaken-if-she-thinks-migration-is-her-real-mission-card
youtube.com/watch?v=d1bBpIdyV0c
youtube.com/watch?v=uv_2x6JmuaE
youtube.com/watch?v=RI4lkqYzJvM
youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0
youtube.com/watch?v=HxjYWvF5ttc
youtube.com/watch?v=WhP654dN3Ww
youtube.com/watch?v=4ych_dTX8G0
youtube.com/watch?v=oX9xVnHYFAM
youtube.com/watch?v=C_gaT-tnpKk
youtube.com/watch?v=n-5mx5o8YYs
youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3scPRLGFE
youtube.com/watch?v=AKpexxzR4Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=o6JJCaf9e7c
youtube.com/watch?v=mNMQu5LXaeI
youtube.com/watch?v=EJxRDhejtwo
youtube.com/watch?v=_dV5b8AuLHg
youtube.com/watch?v=YRhRzdiCk7s
youtube.com/watch?v=sieHX3tPeRw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>implying lucifer isn't god

kek

>Ol' Lucy is still eternaly butthurt
lol

lest we forget the trials and tribulations inflicted by the holy fathers

an equal among the sons

How was mass, Catholads?

Reminder that yesterday marked the day 189 Swiss Guards defended the Pope from 20,000+ soldiers, mostly Lutherans

>For the grace, for the might of our lord
>In the name of his glory
>For the faith, for the way of the sword
>Come and tell their story again

youtube.com/watch?v=CB3H05OhVDI

It was good. First Sundays are truly beautiful.

as he placed the body of christ on my tongue i detected the pungent odor of the altar boys taint

Any idea who will be our next pope? I'm gettihng fed up of this one.

Very glad to hear it, Polebro

Will be conservative, I think. Although Pope Francis gets a lot of criticism, one of the areas where he hasn't been disappointing (with the exception of a couple of egregious US appointments) is in appointing Cardinals. But probably not one of the prominent ones who've spoken out, like Cardinal Burke. Probably someone like Cardinal Oullet of Leafland

I hope for Cardinal Sarah. He is beyond based.

How long do you think pope Francis has left? While I don't hate the man, I do not like the liberty he takes when telling the world what a "True Catholic" should be doing, like the whole Refugees Welcome support and what not. He seems to want to take care of Muslims in the middle east rather than Christians getting persecuted across the world.

Good to see a Christian leader with a pair of balls for once. So sick of this watered down 'nice guy' act the church has going at the moment.

Could anyone tell me what confession is like? I need to do confession, but I wouldn't know how to confess as I am quite ignorant on it.

Difficult to tell. He looks noticably unsteady on his feet & needs help up & down stairs. But the body can give up long before the organs. Regardless of what he's said, if he, as is looking likely, is the Pope to bring SSPX back in to the fold, the pontificate will,in my opinion, have been a success.

Since you like Pole's pic of Cardinal Sarah

>“The Church is gravely mistaken as to the nature of the real crisis if she thinks that her essential mission is to offer solutions to all the political problems relating to justice, peace, poverty, the reception of migrants

lifesitenews.com/news/church-is-gravely-mistaken-if-she-thinks-migration-is-her-real-mission-card

On average Pope serve 6-7 years. And he is already served 4
African Church is surprisingly based. Probably because that your only neighbors are Islamists and literal pagans.

“Thus, a good man, though a slave, is free; but a wicked man, though a king, is a slave. For he serves, not one man alone, but what is worse, as many masters as he has vices.”
― Augustine of Hippo, City of God

>pope gets saved by stem cells

Oh the irony.

>Go in
>Hello father. It's been [last time you went to confession. If never, just say it's your first time]
>These are my sins
>Say sins
>Priest: ok, here is some guidance & your penance to do. Now say act of contrition
>Act of contrition: pic related
>Priest: I absolve you of your sins through Christ our Lord

Let me give you some tough love:
Catholics are cucks.
The current pope is a joke.
Your brand of Christianity is dying because it's weak and pathetic.
Adjust yourselves accordingly if you want to change those facts.

Yeah, yeah, you can leave it where we usually leave something that we heard ten times time in past half of hour aka trash can. Say hello to Anderson when you will leave.

To add to that, there are five really important thing that you have do to make your confession good.
1.Examination of conscience - My sins against God, others & self
2. Act of contrition -Being sorry for what I’ve done -Real sorrow
3. Amendment -Promise not to do our sins anymore -trying to avoid temptation
4. confession - to tell the priest our sins -Honest acceptance of our mortal & venial sins
5. penance -Doing what the priest told us to do - prayer & resolutions -Renewal of life

2&4 are most important.

>Catholics are cucks
They literally conquered your whole continent and defended Europe from incessant attacks
>Current Pope is a joke
Not an argument against Catholicism
>Your brand is dying
Church membership in 2007 was 1.147 billion people (17% of the global population at the time), increasing from the 1950 figure of 437 million and 654 million in 1970. On 31 December 2008, membership was 1.166 billion, an increase of 11.54% over the same date in 2000, and slightly greater than the rate of increase of the world population (10.77%)

just leave the thread if you don't like catholics, it's not because the Pope and some churches communities shout the loudest that it defines every catholics as cucked

Thanks, but I don't know how to bring my sins. Do I have to explain them?

I'm autistic so I get quite anxious over little things that I can't plan.

>Romans Kill Jesus
>Monopolize his legacy + use the church to oppress the masses
Jesus was again'st Establishment Religion guys

>Everyone is welcome.

You have to say them, yes, but you don't need to 'explain' them. If you're autistic & it'd help, you can even write them down and take the paper with you. The priest can't see you

Thanks for the help, this is usefull

what's that supposed to mean ???

Being welcomed does not mean that you can walk into our living room and started to shit on our carpet.
And you wonder why you have illegal immigrants.

bump

Bumping with churches

Last posts:
Dubs
Dubs
Trips
Quads?

Catholicism is a corruption of Jesus' true church

That's why we are in perfect harmony with Scripture and earliest accounts of Christian life like Didache?

>Here are the keys, Peter. The gates of hell will never prevail against the Church I am entrusting to you
*2,000 years later*
>Jesus wasn't serious. I believe everything he said except the part that means I'd have to actually commit to something

>>Here are the keys, Peter. The gates of hell will never prevail against the Church I am entrusting to you

he didnt say that though

also
>jesus set up the catholic church and said we can decide what is and isnt christianity
>t. the catholic church
oh how convenient

the catholic church preaches just war theory

the early christians were executed for refusing to serve in the army

but yeah the catholic church is SO true to christianity amirite

and lets not even get into the burning of heretics

Paul wasn't condemned for being a soldiers, but because he persecuted Christians, which is what those early Christians would have had to do if they enlisted in the army. Pls understand just war theory better

You sound like if you didn't read Maccabees.

go read the entire sermon on the mount and then try and justify murder in a christian context

oh right

you cant

incidentally that is all war is, murder on a mass scale

you sound like you didnt listen to jesus

i dont know what Paul has to do with anything by the way, i never mentioned him and he has nothing to do with the christian prohibition against murdering your neighbour

definitely gonne bea juice

You cited early Christians refusal to enlist in the Roman army as a sign fighting is against Catholicism. It's not. Persecuting your fellow Catholics, as the Roman army did, is

Does anyone know any good books to recommend to a self proclaimed "secularist" who follows guys like sam harris and molymeme?
I've been in talks with this guy, a real bright kid, who honestly believes you can have morals despite him admiting that with his own idealogy there are "no absolutes."
He also denys free will and frankly having talked to him about that I realized I need to read more on the church's proof of free will, so any books on that would also be great.

Have a blessed day.

Personal private lessons from an SSPX priest (assuming they'd be willing to teach a NEET like me) or RCIA? The closest novus ordo church is a 15 minute walk. The only SSPX parish is way downtown.

RCIA.

>he didnt say that though
Matthew 16:18-19 (KJV)
"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven"
Yeah, sure he didn't say that.

Honestly user, the best argument I've seen on that topic was in C.S Lewis' Mere Christianity. Nobody says you can't be moral as an atheist. What we say is that there's no reason to be moral as an atheist. As C.S Lewis says, for a relativist 'I ought' has the same compulsive power same as 'I itch'.

Thanks user, I'll be certain to recommend it to him.

Any reasons why?

You can always find traditional churches and orders with the Catholic Church proper and still remain in full communion with the holy see. Moreover, while I certainly understand the rejection of parts of vatican 2, it still offers some good things and as such wholesale rejection of the church both causes one to lose out on those and that many benefits of the Church, and also prevents one from actually changing the bad parts of Vatican 2. Rejection of the holy see prevents any real changes: it's a powerful symbolic move certainly, but the protestants didn't get any changes of Church doctrine by leaving the Church and neither will groups like SSPX. Rather, by remaing in full communion, one is able to enter into the Church's internal discourse and thus has a chance to change the rejected parts of Vatican 2 from the inside, something that can never be done by rejection of full communion.

>What is FSSP

Friendly bump.
I'm no Catholic, but I appreciate what you do.

Disappointing to see this thread so far down in the catalogue.

But it's amazing that Sup Forums, a board for non-mainstream views and political incorrectness, is actually fostering a Catholic community devoted to Love and having a healthy family and soul.

Is the world really so far gone that traditional Catholicism, focused around having a healthy family, virtuous life, and doing the right thing has become politically incorrect?

It's not made by a Catholic, though I still hope you will enjoy this spiritual and pure music.

youtube.com/watch?v=d1bBpIdyV0c

>Is the world really so far gone that traditional Catholicism, focused around having a healthy family, virtuous life, and doing the right thing has become politically incorrect?
In many ways, sadly yes. But it's changing I think. Granted, this is purely anecdotal, but I've seen a lot more young people coming to mass lately, and I've been going to mass near the crack of dawn all 22 years I've been alive, so I'd assume that in the later masses there is even more people.

Guess people are finally looking at what secular society brings, and realizing that it hasn't fulfilled that inante human longing for the fulfillment only God can bring.

You're right. My experience is also anecdotal, but I figured I'd share.

I was raised by liberal progressive parents, and raised as a militant atheist. But seeing everything around me at my school, and in other places, I felt like life had no meaning. I was missing something, and no one else around me seemed to care about what they were missing. Eventually this pushed me to starting to go to Mass, reading early Catholic books, and eventually converting. Now I'm in university, away from my parents, and a healthy Catholic.

The degeneracy around us is certainly prompting people my age to turn to religion, especially Bill Nye's new show, I would assume.

For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Are there any good videos or books on proper toe sucking?
There are some Muslims at my uni and I want to make them feel welcomed the Catholic way.

i am happy these threads exist, i finally managed to awake for mass this morning, happy Sunday of the Shepherd brothers.

Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

This is very nice thanks belgian bro i like your country but i have only been to Ypres

youtube.com/watch?v=uv_2x6JmuaE
youtube.com/watch?v=RI4lkqYzJvM
youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0
youtube.com/watch?v=HxjYWvF5ttc
youtube.com/watch?v=WhP654dN3Ww
youtube.com/watch?v=4ych_dTX8G0
youtube.com/watch?v=oX9xVnHYFAM
youtube.com/watch?v=C_gaT-tnpKk
youtube.com/watch?v=n-5mx5o8YYs
youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3scPRLGFE
youtube.com/watch?v=AKpexxzR4Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=o6JJCaf9e7c
youtube.com/watch?v=mNMQu5LXaeI
youtube.com/watch?v=EJxRDhejtwo
youtube.com/watch?v=_dV5b8AuLHg
youtube.com/watch?v=YRhRzdiCk7s

user on here recommended Guillaume Dufay last week. Thaks!

Took my family to mass today, we have enjoyed returning to church after recently moving away from our families and living in a new state.

What is your favorite hymnal? I grew up with Gather and miss it.

Thank you, friend!

I've been to England a few times, and Scotland once. Your countryside has some beautiful little chapels, and pic related was amazing to see in person.

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Salisbury Cathedral and Christ Church Oxford, those blew me away

>Took my family to mass today, we have enjoyed returning to church after recently moving away from our families and living in a new state.
If I'm understanding this right, does that mean you didn't go to church before you moved?
Not judging, just wondering if I got thst right, and if so what about the move caused you to return to the church.

A selection of books from my formal theological studies for any fellow Catholics or people curious about Catholicism:

Called to Communion - Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (Sacramental & liturgical theology)
Truth and Tolerance - Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (Ecclesiology / Catholic Identity)
The Meaning of Tradition - Yves Congar (Liturgical Theology / Reform)
The Shape of Catholic Theology - Aidan Nichols (general theology)
The Trinitarian Controversy - William G Rusch (Christology)
A Key to the Doctrine of the Eucharist - Abbot Vonier (Sacramental theology)
An Introduction to the New Testament - Raymond E Brown (Scripture)
The Cambridge Companion to the Gospels - Stephen C Barton (Scripture)
At the Origin of the Christian Claim - Luigi Giussani (Christology)
Early Christian Fathers - Cyril C Richardson (primary sources from the Early Church.

went to latin mass for the first time today
we were 13 people in total and I was kinda lost the whole time it being in latin and all
it was also 20 minutes longer, which I didn't expect

That's great user.
And frankly, it wouldn't be hard to learn Latin so you could understand the mass. It's easy enough for an English speaker to learn, and I would imagine even easier for someone who's native tounge is a Romance language.

it was also sung in its entirety

it's definetely a strange sensation to think the 13 of us were the only people in the entire city (barcelona) who listened to latin mass today

What is wrong with burning the heretics tho? They were asked to convert themselves everytime

Posting here for help because I genuinely don't know where else to ask.

I was raised Catholic, and left the church in my teenage years during an edgy atheist phase. After a lot of reading, soul searching, and contemplation, I am firmly theist again. I studied philosophy in school, familiarized myself with some of the major Catholic thinkers, and fully support the church as an organization and fountain of European culture. HOWEVER. I do not know if I am willing to rejoin the church and attend mass again. After reading and properly studying the Bible and Christian philosophy, it saddens me to think of how intellectually bankrupt my initial exposure to Catholicism was. How could I not become an atheist when I was given a shadow of real faith to work with? I think back to the priests chastising my very working class town for leaving one dollar bills in the collection plate, and hearing gospel readings with zero context and zero relevant homilies. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

So, what do? Bite the bullet and rejoin? Continue to study and appreciate as an outsider? Third option I'm not thinking of? Idk man

What does Ecclesiastes mean to you?

Hello my brothers and sisters.

I went to mass at Saint Patrick's Cathedral in New York City for the first time, and it is by far the most beatiful building I've ever been in. I'm going to the vatican next month and it makes me very excited. The homily was very beatiful about knowing the difference between right and wrong internally. I hope that all of you had an equally nice mass! Take the day to reflect on that little voice that tells you not to sin, and take heed to make it louder than the voice of Satan.

In other news, to blog a little, I go to probably the most liberal university in New York City, and I brought a conservative, qt Christian with me to Church today! She identifies as baptist, but she is baptised and (presumably) confirmed in the church. We had a great time. Is this how I make it bros?

Honestly, in many cases there were probably better and more moral answers than burnings.
Like exile and complete isolation from society until one recants there heretical claims. Thst said, the vast majority of executions of heretics were done by overly zealous lay people and leaders, not the church or clergymen.

What school user? NYU? Fellow NYC here, St Patricks is an absolute joy.

That is correct. My wife and I were both raised catholic but never participated in church together. Our children are 3 and 1. After moving away from our immediate families returning to church was a way for us to find a new community of people that we could trust and share similar values with.

Also, the degeneracy of the regressive left has shown me the importance of raising my children as Catholic and conservative. This is an issue I was completely ignoring until recently.

youtube.com/watch?v=sieHX3tPeRw

Im down at the Cooper Union NYC bro. Graduate next year, hoping to go to NYU for grad school

I am a confirmed catholic, and am wondering how to refute liberation theology. Is it not a correct application of christs teachings? I fear for the church being corrupted by this marxist co-opting of the faith.

>
what do my catholic brethren think of eastern orthodoxy? How do we mend the rift in the one holy apostolic Church, the Bride of Christ?

Wonderful, what are you studying?

Wayward for political reasons, with made up theological reasons following shortly after. It is quite sad, but I don't see them bowing to papal authority anytime soon.

Currently Civil Engineering, but I hope to continue my education in pure mathematics. I am thankful that we have a very well educated classicist professor who has been an absolute joy as well.

I have several really great pics of a French Cathedral, Ill see if I can find them

Praying for France

I have 0 contact with eastern orthodoxy desu lad, I don't really know what the differences between us are, but the whole multipatriarch deal seems a bit cucked, especially with one having seat in a muslim turkey and the other one from the former soviet union

>I do not know if I am willing to rejoin the church and attend mass again. After reading and properly studying the Bible and Christian philosophy, it saddens me to think of how intellectually bankrupt my initial exposure to Catholicism was. How could I not become an atheist when I was given a shadow of real faith to work with? I think back to the priests chastising my very working class town for leaving one dollar bills in the collection plate, and hearing gospel readings with zero context and zero relevant homilies. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Unfortunately, that is one of the biggest issues with many Christian institutions today. People are just told to believe but never taught the why, just the what. This is why we see both a rise in atheism and so many people who remain faithful being zealous and angry at any rejection of the Faith. People don't know why they belive what they believe, so they either abandon it at the first challenge to their faith, or become so stubborn and zealous they never want to know the why, and end up making fools of themselves. Having gone through a Diocesan grade/middle school, a jesuit College prep school and now studying at ND, I look back on how religion is taught at the k-12 level, and I think it needs a whole lot of changes.

That said, the Church is still the truth. While some of the people who make it up may fail (as to be expected, even the apostles weren't perfect), that doesn't mean you should abandon it. Rather, you should embrace it and rejoin it, and seek to change those issues within it, working to make it better. You clearly have the knowledge and will to do it, perhaps that is why God has given you those gifts: to go and set the world on fire as Saint Ignatius said, to work to change those very real issues of the church.

Go back, the practice of being present at Church with people who will not share the exact interpretation of your beliefs is good for the health and growth of your spirit and your community. I get the impression that you will enjoy participating.

If you feel called, you can eventually provide some leadership about the issues that concern you with the people that matter most, your fellow parishioners.

>teenage years during an edgy atheist phase
But as a le refined 20 year old with a P E N C H A N T for the lamb i'm rdy for hiz graces xD. You are a heretic.

throwing stones

Wish we would end schism soon but that ain't happening, not until older clergy, both from our and your side die off.
Plus I kinda grow up with EOC. Feast of Saint Anthony every Summer in near EOC parish is big cultural festival in a shitohle where I live.

Jesus was talking about illegals going over the border today

Not 20, far from it, and technically I'm an apostate, not a heretic. At least get your terminology right my dude.

>people don't know why they believe what they believe
This exactly. What you are saying is encouraging though, thank you.

Thank you for your response

What do you guys think of Jordan Peterson?
I know he has described himself as Christian, but has he ever specified whether or not he thinks the resurrection was an actual event or merely symbolic?

Gee user, that sure sounds like a Christian message.
It's not like even Peter denied Christ three times, that Paul started out as a persecutor of the church or that many of the saints were originally very amoral people

Benedict XVI's Liberation Theology: Preliminary Notes is a good place to start.
In short, while liberation theology does raise some good points, it has an ingrained tendency to end up viewing any and all heirarchies as a form of opressesion, which is highly contrary to Christ's teachings, since He, as God, is King of kings and inhernetly above all others. It also can put emphasis on the poor to the point of ignoring the Church and Christ, which goes against Christ's teachings that "the poor will always be with [us]" and we shouldn't let that get in the way of glorifying God.