CATHOLIC GENERAL GOOD SHEPHERD EDITION

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask question, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life.

Today is Fourth Sunday of Easter
Here are your daily readings
usccb.org/bible/readings/050717.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!
>Catholic Encyclopedia
newadvent.org/
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.K)
lms.org.uk/mass-listings
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.S/Can)
ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm
>Laudate App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

Other urls found in this thread:

usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/order-of-mass/liturgy-of-the-eucharist/the-real-presence-of-jesus-christ-in-the-sacrament-of-the-eucharist-basic-questions-and-answers.cfm
youtube.com/watch?v=CB3H05OhVDI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i told my dad i've been going to mass and he seems happy about it (i'm a former atheist). however as an evangelical he doesn't like catholicism and spent all morning lecturing me about how everything at mass is "just symbolic" (holy water, signs, blessings, the eucharist, etc). wasn't really sure what to say so now i feel stupid

Old thread is here:
To get this thread started, who is everyone's favorite saint and why?
>inb4 proddies claim that we worship them

You beat me to the punch by about a minute. If the above doesn't die before this one does, than we can migrate to it seamlessly. When we hit the bump limit here.

Saint Anthony of Egypt. What an absolutely based man.

>however as an evangelical he doesn't like catholicism and spent all morning lecturing me about how everything at mass is "just symbolic" (holy water, signs, blessings, the eucharist, etc). wasn't really sure what to say so now i feel stupid
Firstly, it's great you've come home to the Church.
Now, on the subject of everything being "symbolic," this should be a good primer:
usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/order-of-mass/liturgy-of-the-eucharist/the-real-presence-of-jesus-christ-in-the-sacrament-of-the-eucharist-basic-questions-and-answers.cfm

To just give the shortest explaintion: Jesus said, in no uncertain terms "this is my body," not this is a symbol. He then says "do this in memory of me" the "this" already being established as His "body." At no point does He say it's a symbol.

I'm an athiest tranny but I always liked Aquinas, even if I don't think he's right

>I'm an athiest tranny but

>I'm an athiest tranny but I always liked Aquinas, even if I don't think he's right
Why do you think he's wrong user? And may I ask, why do you deny the Truth of Christ? What keeps you from belief? What in your life has led you to such a state?

The Catholic Church is a jewish organisation

I am completely and totally unable to believe in the concept of souls. It just seems like such a stretch. That kinda kills basically all christian theology there.

Care to back that up, BRo?

>I am completely and totally unable to believe in the concept of souls. It just seems like such a stretch.
I see. And why is that? What makes it a stretch to you? The fact thag you can't see it?

Reflect on this: If information travels at a finite speed, then you are always reflecting on the past. Then how can that which reflects experience an end?

And what makes you say that?

Obviously the vatican is a nazi organization, it said so in a comic book so it must be true

The fact that there's no good reason to believe in one. It mostly just seems like a "god of the gaps" situation for neurology.

Not sure what you're trying to say with this, sorry. Dumb it down for me a lil

I used to be an atheist.

But when I look at the world, and how complex it is and at humanity and how unlikely it all seems. It caused me to believe in God.

Going to buy some nice Sunday clothes and start attending mass.

What is the dress code like at catholic parishes? Should I wear a suit or is that overdressing in this modern age?

Is Jack Chick the greatest anti-catholic theologian of the 20th century?

depends on your parish. Also how old you are. But yeah, if you're young, that's probably overdoing it.

>The fact that there's no good reason to believe in one. It mostly just seems like a "god of the gaps" situation for neurology
Well, let me ask you this: do you believe in right and wrong?

Depends on the parish. A shirt and tie should suffice for your first time, snd then you can judge it from there. It's geat to hear you've come home to the Church. I hope you have a blessed mass, and I shall pray God shall guide you on your journey to Him, and bless you, keep you and guide you now and forever.

Transubstantiation is not a thing.

Went to my cousins Confirmation, did you guys go to Church?

I'm 24, I wear a nice dress shirt, some nice dress shoes and blue jeans. Nothing crazy, just wear what you think would be acceptable and respectful to The lord

Yep.
How was their confirmation?

Just came back from 12:45 mass

Not really. I don't think any philosophy is logically 100%, or it'd just be math. I say pick what feels right and go with it, and for me it's some bastardized combination of utilitarianism and egalitarianism. No universal right or wrong, just whatever lessens suffering overall. Hypothetically utility monsters can make utilitarianism anti-egalitarian, but I think they're hypotheticals that don't really exist in practice

I don't know if this applies that much to churches in canada but it is generally encouraged to dress formally. no suits, but chinos and an oxford shirt and a sweater or something in that vibe is perfect

What I'm saying is you experience the past. So if you die and there is no soul then it is impossible to experience death.

Shirt/Smart jumper & black trousers here leaf. But it's not that important. We aren't puritans. Your piety is more important than your dress code

pretty nice and lively
the mass here is usually in 10 am weird

I suggest every American to check out the "my parish" app

We have one at 7,9,11,12:45,3pm,5pm. It's new New York city so there are a lot of people

My church is always livelier than I expect given the liberallness of new york city. A good sign, I think!

I see. So then, if you saw someone killing an someone else's innocent baby for no reason other than they want to, you'd have no problem with it because there is no absolute right and wrong, and one should go with "whatever feels good?"

Reminder for Europe.

If you care about Europe, there is literally nothing better you can do than become a priest. You become the head of a parish that has hundreds, maybe over a thousand attendees a week & at least 1 school. Lots of threads say 'have 4-5 kids'. If your parish has, say, 400 people & they have 2 kids, your advice & guidance is reaching 800 kids

This is the perfect base from which you can fight marxism & other causes of degeneracy

No, it'd violate MY sense of ethics, which is the aforementioned combination of utilitarianism and egalitarianism (it'd cause suffering to the parents). It'd also violate most other people's, so I guess there's your justification for "justice".

Why wouldn't I just experience death at a point incredibly shortly after my physical death?

>It'd also violate most other people's, so I guess there's your justification for "justice".
So then if most people didn't have a problem with it, you'd just have to accept it despite your own issues with it?

If there's no soul than you can't experience anything after your physical death. If you can than you haven't died yet.

I'm not saying what I'm saying is foolproof, its just something to reflect on.

Sure, or if it bugged me that much leave and go somewhere else.

I see. So then, let's say that everyone in the entire world decided it was moral to torture and kill you and anyone you cared about because it was morally wrong for you to exist. You'd naturally just have to accept that and hand yourself over for the punishment for you being you, right?

Gauchito gil

That smells like a dumb hypothetical to me

But let's go with it. It'd violate my ethics, but it's still justified. If the world is really like that, then that's just how it is. I'm the crazy one, no matter what my ethics say. Death would be a welcome relief in this dumb hypothetical, though.

>tfw lefitsts actually literally kill babies
disgusting.

Reminder that yesterday marked the day 189 Swiss Guards defended the Pope from 20,000+ soldiers, mostly Lutherans

>For the grace, for the might of our lord
>In the name of his glory
>For the faith, for the way of the sword
>Come and tell their story again

youtube.com/watch?v=CB3H05OhVDI

I see. Now, 1 question and a hypothetical:
Why should you accept that decision? What reason is there for it, except "because everyone else says I should"?
Now, let's suppose you have something, and you like it. But I want it, and I want it more than you or anyone else wants you to have it. Naturally, my wanting it means you have to give it to me, right?

Because it's much more likely that I'm the irrational one (ie I did something horrible and unspeakable that has literally everyone gunning for my head) than literally everyone else on earth. And if not, well, at least I don't have to deal with it once I'm dead.

Also, you're just talking about utility monsters. Yes, I'd have to give it to you, but I also think humans have an instinctual drive towards egalitarianism that means at some point, a hypothetical "utility monster" would cause more suffering by being so hilariously unequal than he gains by cumming over those really nice socks.