*BIPARTISAN* - Undercutting big business by growing your own food

So yeah, I was wondering what Sup Forums thinks of getting more people into cultivating and propagating plants to distribute around for free and for fun in order to stick it to big supermarts.

It's as easy as getting a small propagator and growing seedlings by your bathroom window, as long as it has sun for around half the day.

I just think if more people got into planting out and growing their own stuff it would qualify as anarchist in a way, whatever part of the left/right/author/liber spectrum you're on.

Does anyone have any experiences to share or tips on how to grow your own stuff either indoors or outdoors?

Or just any discussion really, would be cool. Right now I'm growing Bok Choy which I got the seeds for from a store bought one which I re-grew in a dish.

It went all the way through its life cycle and now I've got 20 seeds that'll grow into baby Bok Bhoy to eat and then I'll use a couple to grow more seed.

It's a great crop because it's a cold climate one and as long as your propagator doesn't frost over you can do it year round. Also, it makes nice fragrant flowers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5z0NaYpVHMs
jameswong.co.uk/home/4587743476
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump, it's a shitty pic of my window radishes. You eat the greens and the root and hang them off the window. Saves money. Fuck Tesco.

the key is to pick non ogm / non hybrids strands so you can collect seeds from your own plants and don't have to depend on seed vendors

also it's fun to cultivate strange varieties that aren't usually commercialized,

you can't realistically expect to save money by planting your own stuff on a balcony, you'd need more growing space so at least a small garden
it's a fun hobby nonetheless

also check the kokopeli organization out, they seek to preserve old plant strands by distributing seeds

>reddit spacing

I just grow a third acre of potatoes and tomatoes and then also have a bunch of apple trees.

That's fucking awesome dude.

I don't have a garden space but I've got a bunch of propagators and grow herbs so I don't have to buy ones like basil, chives and parsley.

Do small lettuces and spinach in the bathroom, herbs in the kitchen and I've got a tomato growbag and some french bean kegs in the main room - this place is a studio but still get fruit during the summer.

But yeah you're right it doesn't save all that much, if you have land though I think it's good. Or if you know people with land you can cultivate indoors and plant out on their land and split the fruits.

I grow as much of my own food as possible. I grow tomatoes, bellpeppers, hot peppers, eggplant, zucchini, cucumber, watermelon, several types of lettuce, turnip greens, kale, mustard greens, many different spices, onions... I'm sure I've left some out. I just keep the crops rotating and grow according to season. Seriously, screw the supermarket.

Everybody on welfare has driven food prices through the roof. It's "free money" to them. So the prices continue to soar.

That's also awesome, have you considered crop rotation and winter crops? You can get away with a lot if you can scavenge or buy materials to cover it over.

>Everybody on welfare has driven food prices through the roof
remember when a big mac was $0.99
Now that you can buy one with food stamps they are $4.00

i guess it depends on where you live but some cities lend small garden plots for people living in apaprtment complexes to grow some vegetables, maybe there are similar initiatives in your area

that might just be inflation

>What is inflation

Yeah man fair shout, I think anyone with an axe to grind with the big food providers should get involved with this.

Yeah man I'm 4th on the allotment list, it's taken 18 months :(

Surely that's a problem with the food stamp system though, if the state gave people actual money then if this was genuinely the case it wouldn't be a problem?

Self-sufficiency is a good thing...
Our country is addicted to Chilli/spicy food...
Butthurt normie Monic can't even stand when 1 Kg of chilli= 4% of their monthly income... 1.5 times the price of beef.

Seriously wtf inflation

They are so easy to grow as well, even in England in a window I get a lot.

How do I grow them?
I tried but I think i did it incorrectly.
I took out the seeds and put them in dirt near a window and watered but nothing happened.

Feels good man

This is true. When I started gardening with GM seeds it was fucking awful. When you switch to organic you literally expand without effort. I just take a big bunch of harvested seeds, roll them in clay and throw seed bombs. Fuck monsanto niggers.

Some of the commercial varieties are sterile because they are hybrids, if you can find organic ones they might be easier to germinate. They also take a while to sprout.

If you go to ebay also you can buy seeds really cheap like under $5 and they will grow chillis you can re plant.

faggot hippy shit, just go the damn grocery store

this topic needs more discussion amongst pol

Where the hell do I get food grade plastics so I can build my own little high pressure hydroponics thing in my apartment.

Ive been googling and I might be the only fuck on the internet who wants to grow something besides weed.

This is a good variety, they are called Peter Peppers and you can replant them from seed.

Also they are shaped like cocks. I grow these.

Ahh ok thanks.
I took the chilies of another plant that someone else had.

I'll check out ebay then.
Any recommended sellers?

I really should plant a small plot

Gardening has such a bad taste in my mouth from when I worked in my granddad's garden as a kid
Thing was fucking massive and all weeding/picking was done by hand mostly by us grandkids
I've also spent 8 hours straight shelling peas before

Forgotten most but I guess I'd have a better base than most people nowadays

TO EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD

to grow things reliably, and with no dirt, indoors, for cheap.

Look up Krakty Hydrophonics.

Alternatively, watch this video, be enlightened:

youtube.com/watch?v=5z0NaYpVHMs

You can use the same setup for weed with virtually anything if it's hydro. Just experiment really. Don't grow weed unless you 99.9% can't get caught.

the cause? Welfare

Isn't that just spraying the roots with water and fertilizer?

Ebay search 'heirloom chilli seeds'

Heirloom varieties are the ones which are handed down generations

Sup Forums is 95% kids living with their parents. this is a higher percentage than W3DDIT le XD

kids don't give a shit about this. mt. dew, hot pockets, and mcdonalds is what they're about

how about you watch the fucking video.

it's a slippery slope from green bullshit like this into other hippy moron shit

You can grow stuff in a bedroom if the light is right. And hey, maybe if kids got more into growing plants they'd learn to chill and look after themselves. Interacting with nature is good for mental health and responsibility, plus you learn a bit of science along the way.

Isn't that an openly fallacious argument?

Gardening can be done by anyone regardless of their stance, and you can justify doing so within a fuckton of political ideologies.

I'm watching it already.
What's the difference?
It seems that in this method it's in a jar/pot

Im looking now. Seems like I would have to go a town or two over.

dat thumbnail tho

you put it in a container away from direct sunlight which means algae doesn't grow.

you don't need to water it, it's in a constant pool of water.

the plants develop air roots, so don't require soil to be filled with air, they have a plentiful supply of oxygen and nutrients from the solution.

using filtered water, and indoors means there's zero risk of contamination or infestation.

it is a slippery slope, also there is nothing wrong with GMO crops

Now how can we disguise the Hitler mustache in a gardening meme? We can sneak it into the normies.

So can it be any water? or pure water like demineralised?

Is there an ebook about this that explains it?

also, they're so low maintenance you could set up these at a constant rate and have bushels of anything you want, every week.

Even enough to sell.

you would think indoors is pest free but aphids are scary. they reproduce asexually at a rate of up to 8 per day per adult.

Great video, thanks for sharing!

OMG I fucking love you I'm going to post this everywhere. This thread is wholesome I'm glad nobody is flaming.

filtered to attain a higher PH is better for the plants, the plants like alkaline solutions, so alkaline filtered, boiled water is the best.

Boiled to get rid of contaminants, alkaline for the plants, and then add the nutrients.

This isn't correct. Asparagus chokes out all other plants to create a dead zone. You pretty much need to salt the earth to plant something else there.

Also how would this affect the future generations of the plants? would I be able to plant those in soil too or will they die?

How do I filter the water correctly? Do I buy alkaline minerals and dissolve them? Boil first or after the minerals? What are the nutrients I'm supposed to add?

yeah but if you have no way of introducing them then it isn't a worry, at all. Just always use seeds, and always keep the room guarded from visitors.

(shouldn't be too hard for Sup Forums)

pics?

The green pill is the ultimate pill. If you're new, my recommendations would be:

>small space/don't own the land: look into how to make "self-watering" (sub-irrigated) planters. You can use 5 gallon buckets, totes, or regular planters.
>own land: make a raised bed garden. High up front cost, but the cheapest and easiest option over time.
>meme option: hydro/aero-ponics. It's expensive as fuck and not at all recommended if you have a patio or yard with some sunshine. If you're trapped indoors only, it's a decent option. But *-ponics has almost nothing to do with regular gardening, so careful where you get your info. Also don't be a tard and try to grow tomatoes using the Kratky method.

For containers, use potting MIX, nothing called "soil". You can actually make your own mix, and change it up depending on what you want to plant, if you want to go full autismo. Potting mix is basically perlite/vermiculite, compost, and sometimes shit like peat.

One of the easiest ways to grow in containers is to get a few food grade, 5 gallon buckets, drill holes in the sides at the bottom, and put them in a kiddie pool. The potting mix will wick up water to the plant's roots, which makes it easy as fuck to water, and it even collects rain water. This counts as "self-watering" (sub-irrigated). Whenever people say "self-watering", they mean sub-irrigated, not some kind of system of hoses and shit.

If you're growing in the ground, learn how to deal with pests (including birds), because you WILL get them.

Ground/planter tradeoffs: both are expensive to start, but imo ground is cheaper over time. If you have a bad drought, ground plants are fucked, but containers can be saved. Pests suck for both.

A bit late to start from seed this year imo, but it's not too late to start a garden if you get on it. You'll just have to buy started plants, which is expensive. But starting plants from seed requires its own set of skills, so spending your first few years buying plants isn't bad.

I love these threads bongbro, they're comfy and brotherly. Over here it's pretty easy to grow anything our soil is blessed. So far we've grown bell peppers, tomatos, cherry tomatoes, basil, chives, celery, carrots, papayas, grapefruit, guayabas, lemons in our small backyard.

>would I be able to plant those in soil too or will they die?

You can plant them in soil when they're strong enough, but they will be weak until they get used to the outside air.

That's why that guy keeps them covered outdoors for a while before planting them.

You prune it all the way back after the harvest season is over... well that's what we used to do, it did work.

>how do I filter the water
Use a conventional water filter for drinking water.

Thank you for the tip user, that organization caught my attention.

>This thread is wholesome I'm glad nobody is flaming.
this

I meant if I got the seeds from the plants that I was growing using this method.

What are the plants I can grow with the kratsky method?

Is growing tomatoes bad using that method because of the weight of the tomatoes? If so then why not ties splints to strengthen it?

homesteading is the ultimate red pill

Sup Forums tis a magical place. Thanks for the gardening tip.

NO GOYIM.

BUY MY GMO FOOD NOW!

SHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

oh yeah, you can take cuttings and regrow them outside just fine.

Yeah true, nice. I'm glad it's something that a lot of people can agree on and share tips and it's also kind of a protest against corporate food.

Have you heard of cucamelon? |It's like tiny melons that taste of cucumber and lime.

I've got seedlings going to try and get it to work in the bathroom as a trailing vine supported underneath a hanging basket with some sort of string apparatus.

This guy's site is legendary, he does all these things that are really uncommon but cool, I think you can get hold of seeds online.

jameswong.co.uk/home/4587743476

Hell yeah senpai I grow the fuck out of some food. I have 22 tomato plants, 18 broccoli plants, 8 squashes, 16 cucumbers, shitload of okra and corn, peppers of assorted varieties, radishes. Next year I'm making some space for blueberries blackberries and cherry trees. Might start up some asparagus too. I really want to get some chickens and bees but those are hard to do in city limits.

Also onions and garlic. My canteloupe only got baseball sized last year :( baka senpai

Just try see if there is a pruning guide online before you go in on it, I haven't done it since I was a kid

You can protect melons with pantyhose. They also seem to get bigger. Protection from sun or bugs or something. Also rabbits wont eat them.

damn those look fancy. Though I think it would be kinda hard to deliver here

Ahh ok thanks.

What are the limits of the kratky method? What plants can't I grow?

How do I keep raccoons out of my backyard when composting?

I ordered seeds that came all the way from Malaysia, idk what your customs is like. They look awesome though.

>propagating plants
Am doing that.
>to distribute around for free
That's marxist cancer.

>tips on how to grow
Stick plant in soil/pot, do not forget to water, remove pests.

Gardening is redpilled
>getting fresh produce for the cost of seeds and fertilizer
>not being 100% reliant on corporations for your food(especially if you have a large garden)
>fun, non-degenerate hobby
>can grow any type of plant that grows in your climate(or even ones that don't if you have a well-equipped greenhouse)
It's hard to think of a reason NOT to have a garden, unless you live in a small apartment with no balcony.

There's a UK climate friendly cultivar of cantaloupe I really wanna grow but still waiting on an allotment. Might have to next year.

a few things, certain strains of seeds won't work, things like potatoes won't work obviously.

See I do live in a small apartment with no balcony but you can just improvise - I have a growbag under a window and got tomato last year and I grow all my own herbs and salad greens in propagators.

I think there's genuinely a bullshit myth that you can't grow indoors because life uh, finds a way in most cases. Sure you don't get big results but it's still a thing to do and it's calming as fuck, especially given how stressful life is.

I buy my GMO seeds from uncle Liao, have a nice day with all those "patents" and millions inRnD.

I was thinking of using the box method for potatoes.

How do the seeds get started?
Obviously there's no dirt and I doubt the seeds are just dropped into the container.

I don't know, I have dogs so I don't have many rats, cats, raccons or opposums around.

idk, my state is the agricultural state so sanitary inspections are tough. I think I'll stick to local produce

I gave up on vines in favor of increased space for other plants. My girlfriend and I can and preserve food. I make some of the furniture too, don't have many tools yet though so I'm not exactly making pretty furniture. Our plan is to be moderately self sufficient.

Giving people things is marxist cancer?

Is Christmas cancer too?

these doods even got sued for selling seeds that weren't in the regulated official strand catalog

i used to help my parents out as a child, we grew a specific tomato strand and kept the seeds

Did you try limiting your melon plant to just 3 fruits and pruning off the rest? I've heard that's legit with larger gourd type fruits.

>Is Christmas cancer
Onlu if you do a cucked version and give random people free shit.
Giving things to your clan/family is not cancer because you can expect favours in return.

Yeah, not really sure the EU was having a good day when they did that to them lol

It's only marxist cancer when you are forced to give people free things

If you grow shit for free you can give it away for free. Also distributing food bearing plants for free is a method of undercutting shops. Everybody wins.

>What are the plants I can grow with the kratsky method?
>Is growing tomatoes bad using that method because of the weight of the tomatoes? If so then why not ties splints to strengthen it?

Seems like the leafy stuff works best in hydro or aero methods. As for tomatoes if you have ever gotten some plants going in the summer they can produce a shit load of tomatoes. And drain the soil of nutrients in the process. I dont know how people would do that outside of soil without feeding them a ton of whatever plant food they use. Also the plants can get large so I wonder what the roots are like outside of soil.

Gartennazis are a thing. Ever been to a Schrebergarten? The closest thing you have resembling them is your Homeowner accosiation or whatever you call them

Anyone know if root cellars actually work? As far as I know they work for like roots squash and shit but leafy or juicy things? Ive checked with family and everyone used to either dry or jar everything outside of potatoes and root like things. Supposedly you can keep tomatoes through winter. Only thing family did in the past was to get them halfway to sauce and freeze.

True, but if you grow indoors you're gonna need expensive high powered lamps to create optimal conditions for most plants. Weed growers would sometimes just steal similar ones from street lights in the past since it's kinda shitty to have to dish out 200€+ just to get started when you're a deadbeat stoner. There's also the factor that such lamps consume a lot of power and it will drive your utilities bill up noticeably if it's more than a small closet where you grow stuff.

Especially when starting out it's just so much better to have your own outdoor garden, or even just a balcony.

But I'd assume you could keep adding nutrients to the water?
I don't understand if that water just stays there for the growing period or is changed/rotated in someway.

Like aquaponics with those fish.

so you just set the initial solution and let it go?

when the water is completely gone, you have to refill to the minimal soultion level, correct?

Potatoes seem to have great success with that box method.