Why are Millennials so underemployed? (CONT)

Continued from previous thread.

Posted a few comments in there, hit limit before I could finish answering some questions there.

I'm a millennial business owner who can answer the question, and TLDR it comes down to a lack of specialization, work focus and/or employable skills among our newest workforce generation.

"Millennials" are more prone to job hop and lack in specialization or any clear idea of where they'd like to advance their careers.

You'll have a massive disconnect between those who are ambitious and hard working in high specialization fields like medicine, finance, or other, and the chronic job hopping, single mother types who barely fit in their 40hrs a week at the corner cafe.

To fix underemployment, we need to fix Millennials' work habits and educate people to learn how to focus/specialize.

Also, college =/= employment chances, as pic related exemplifies. We should have more people attending trade school becoming welders, electricians, mechanics, and similar.

We've been conditioned as a society to disdain skilled labor, but I recently met a guy at my corner coffee shop who's been an HVAC technician for 20 years, made 100k+ since year 2 and has piled all his money into small multi family real estate projects. Owns 20+ units outright.

I'd consider him far more successful than someone with a MS in some obscure useless degree.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/2rXnh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Another interesting topic that came up in the last thread was getting a job in a clinical profession (OT/PT/RN/NP)

If you want steady employment and good income, healthcare is a solid place to be.

I've seen some RN's bust their asses and make 130k+ a year holding two jobs. If you want to really make some money and stop being poor, it's a good option.

Take a 2yr RN program, no need for BSN, work a year at a hospital picking up as many shifts as you can, get a job at an SNF/Rehab Facility/Home Health agency, and then pick up weekend/evening shifts somewhere else.

Invest in some small real estate projects around you, rent them out, pay down mortgages, build equity.

Bust your ass this way for 4-5 years and you'll have plenty of income and money not to stress about it.

Useless degrees also cause underemployment... that's another issue too

>get a job in healthcare
>die the second the population control plague is released
come on dont be a schmuck

>To fix underemployment, we need to fix Millennials' work habits and educate people to learn how to focus/specialize
More like we need to fix companies’ loyalty to the employees, so they can work and not have to worry about getting laid off, losing health care, etc

Why do we have the same garbage threads every day?

>companies don't hire youngsters fresh outta college with their flimsy overpriced piece of paper
>WHY DON'T YOU FUCKS HAVE A JOB YA WORTHLESS CRYBABIES
Fucking hire them you cunts, you have the jobs stop giving the jobs your making to Chang and Pajeet!

As my dad started working 16, so I did and a year ago my nephew. As I know in the whole east Euro its just the same. So I guess that can be a gibsmedat overflow in the western world.

>Gen Z
>Cleaner
>40 hours a week on average
>Make just above minimum wage

Im at the bottom of the barrel and I dont know if its worth it.

>More like we need to fix companies’ loyalty to the employees, so they can work and not have to worry about getting laid off, losing health care, etc

I don't think you realize how much of a pain in the ass it is for an employer to have to replace someone. Recruiters charge 15% of salary, minimum.
It's a pandering childish mindset that most of the Millennials have that contributes to it; they blame external factors for their situation in life vs going out and working on fixing it.

My business deals with geriatric patients, post hospital discharge and whatnot. Not really doing much with sick people. Just depends on what type of healthcare background/job you want.

Physical Therapists in an outpatient clinic aren't any more exposed to plague issues than anyone else, lol

>they blame external factors for their situation in life vs going out and working on fixing it.
That's everyone

Stop falling for the generation meme, tard.

>>they blame external factors for their situation in life vs going out and working on fixing it.

True. I wouldn't argue other generations are absolved of it entirely, it's just more prevalent with people born within the last ~30yrs

Not even "comfy government jobs" are safe from automation. An entire job class in my agency got wiped out by computrr software.

We need new blood in the government but the boomer fucks at the top dont want them in because they know eventually millennials will change how the government is operated. The big one being teleworking.

>I don't think you realize how much of a pain in the ass it is for an employer to have to replace someone. Recruiters charge 15% of salary, minimum.

I've worked at 4 companies over 6 years. In every situation, the upper crust makes bad decisions, loses money, then lays off employees to save the necks of the directors. Worse, I've seen bad management decisions lead to entire companies flopping, even when entire teams (of millennial workers) warn the boomers about shit decisions. Want to stir up workplace drama? Call a boomer out on their shitty ideas.

How about the boomers stop making shitty decisions?

Save up some money.
Go to Germany.
Free university and low living costs.
Learn something useful and then return to Canada to earn a Canadian wage.

>I've worked at 4 companies over 6 years. In every situation, the upper crust makes bad decisions, loses money, then lays off employees to save the necks of the directors. Worse, I've seen bad management decisions lead to entire companies flopping, even when entire teams (of millennial workers) warn the boomers about shit decisions. Want to stir up workplace drama? Call a boomer out on their shitty ideas.

>tfw I'm a millennial and have cut people when needed

It's for the better of a company long term. Which would you rather have? Everyone keeps their jobs for 6 months before a company goes BK, or they let 5% go, and then slowly re hire more people down the road.

Look at the macro on that, as far as which is better for an economy.

>go to university and get a degree in "International Relations" because I wanted to be a consular officer
>instead I was un/underemployed, working in a mail room making $12.50 an hour
>hear about how all the jobs are in IT
>go to a community college and do a 18 month diploma in computer programming
>got a summer internship at a big company, they ended up hiring me
>made $28 an hour
>ended up getting a job embassy, as a web developer
>mfw my 4 year $90,000 degree from a "prestigious university" is fucking useless

I'm pretty sure Buzzfeed uses these threads to write articles. Sage.

I am unemployed because I caught a case and ended up a felon when I dindu nuffin the entire time.

Never in trouble before, once, so interview amazingly well, but background check always fucks me.

Yea I'm trying to get into web development right now. I fell for a meme degree. Wish I could do all over again, but at least I can learn to program on my own through the Internet and books.

>have STEM degree
>mediocre grades
>no experience
>can't take unpaid internships because have to pay off student loans
>working in a god damn factory
what do I do?

I'm doing a second degree accelerated BSN program (1 year) because I graduated with an Econ degree a few years back and couldn't find meaningful work. This is clutch advice. My plan is to become an NP in a few years because they're able to open their own practices without MD supervision thanks to a massive PCP shortage.

Tl;dr: specialize or bust

The real unemployment rate is 15% and climbing. The economy might grow at 2% annually but this doesn't translate into more jobs or anything of the sort.

>TFW accountant

I've already seen machines which can do 90 % of my work.

sweating-man.jpg

its 24%
source shadowstates

It shocks me finding a job is so hard for people, I coasted through a CS degree with a 3.5 GPA and got hired right after I graduated at 60k a year. I'm not an autist though, so I may have an advantage in that regard.

I'd rather they not hire boomers for management positions. At least Gen X have some sort of feel on business post-social media.

discord.gg/2rXnh

im an RN that works in home health, taking a course in foot care nursing at the moment and gonna start a little side business with that until I have the client base to drop my job

Cultural Marxism was designed to destroy their competivness, Inititive, and lower boys testosterone.

They also erased or soft censored the history, philosophy, and ideas that produced western civilization.

BSN an Econ undergrad will give you an incredible world of management/admin positions down the road. You'll be able to coast on 120k+ a year after 3-4yr experience. You could even possibly go the CxO route, if you get a good name for yourself in management. People with strong overlapping skillsets in Clinical,Finance and Operations are hard to find.

What's your degree in, specifically?

Companies are always wanting to hire qualified people for various roles. Unemployment has many root causes, but I think unqualified/unskilled/wrong skillset labor force is one of the more aggravating factors.

>Why are Millennials so underemployed?
Because we have been completely fucked over by foreign worker programs.

Also, you were claiming people "job hop" because they're lazy and entitled millennials. That's often not the case. (Depends on industry)

In my industry, millennials and gen-Xers are the most hardworking, talented people. Boomers are lazy fat cats who make bad business decisions over $400 buniness lunch and gossip all day.

I always ask,

>what are the major tenent of the philosophy of freedom?

Who were the major authors of Liberty, civil religion, freedom? What were their ideas and contributions.

How did they feel about

Slavery?
Taking land from the indian?
Universal franchise?

And you quickly discover why American youths know more about communism than Liberty.

They can Handle the truth.

I actually work in machine learning.
We're training satellites how to drive trains. Actually, entire networks of trains, to optimize routing and so on.

Transportation is fucked.
My friends tell me medicine will be fucked too, once insurance companies figure out that AI can make better diagnoses.

>go to uni and get a degree in computer programming
>can't get any intern job
>can't get any computer related job
>wind up making pizzas for $13.50
>get a forklift licence
>make $41 an hour moving boxes around

>All criminals say they dindu nuffin
Contact a lawyer and get your record expunged. I've had to retract some many job offers due to BG check fails.

When does the Millennial generation begin?

Are nursing jobs really that easy to come by? I'm not looking for anything glorious, just want to not be a poorfag and help my parents out in their old age. In Upstate New York here if that matters.

>>make $41 an hour
Where do you work? That's really fucking high for warehouse worker.

Just looked it up, 1981-2002

>have STEM degree
>mediocre grades
>no experience
same. i now work as team manager in a software company. i still don't know jack shit, but my team is good and we finish shit on time. i'm scared shitless of being promoted, i barely scrape by as it is, but my boss seems to think i'm hot shit.

wow really? $41 an hour for some shit a robot can do?

It's refreshing as hell to see an OP of this kind of thread actually respond in a coherent way. It's usually just a shitposting general. Thanks for the encouragement, man!

What job? I'm about to be a redundant forky, on $38 an hour atm

IT is becoming a crowded field from what I know. Lot of companies hiring pajeets on visas to fill roles here. Depends on type of job though. If you're a management consultant to IT, that's more specialized than a run-of-the-mill coder.

>how to spot a shill poster 101

It's a good space to be in, especially if you come to the US. Fraction of the cost for Medicare/Insurance companies to treat the same growing patient population. The business I own is actually an agency.

Foot care, like Wound Care specialty? If your current employer will cover continuing-ed, I'd encourage getting your WCC. Great specialization niche that'll help you stand out. I have 4 working for me

no other generation has seen their parents' false sense of security and generally weak resolve completely destroyed by a domestic terrorist event at 1-10 years old.

I guarantee that picture never happened. Not even to the point of paraphrasing I mean literally never happened.

I got a scholarship from the navy just for being in nursing school
1 year left of school and I get my commission

Just make sure you have plans to move up and specialize, that's why there's so many RN jobs available

You are better off desu I'm a programmer getting off a 10 hour shift right now. I have to wake up and work again in 9 hours to troubleshoot our London offices issues. Fuck my life.

Suicide booths

I'm writing my master's right as we speak
>Study IT, the more soft kind: mediator between technology and the people who use it
>No jobs or internships during my 5 years
>Worked plenty of jobs prior, but not relevant to IT
Just how fucked am I, lads?
What's my best move from here?

I think VNA is pretty big in NY. Hospitals are always hiring. If you're a nurse, you'll basically have guaranteed employment.

Touche, you have a point - I'm speaking in a more generalized context. There's a lot of focus in business journals/research group around Millennial employee retention. They agree there are lots of causes, but I think lack of engagement is often an understated cause. I know when I was working with those tech companies people were just fucking around all day playing pool and pingpong. Never understood how those companies justified their valuations.

benis

But seriously, if you can also get an MBA down the road, an online one while you're working, you'll kill it as a Chief Operations Officer or something similar.

On a sub-conscious level they know that the marxist model forced upon them offers zero future or hope, so they have instinctively stopped preparing for that non-existent future. It's actually pretty smart in a way, problem is this is a one way trip back to the stone ages and that really isnn't the best option for us as a whole.

The only answer, if we are to obtain a future worth living in is to forcefully oust these counter-progress elements within the system (which ironically call themselves "progressive") or else it's pretty much game over civilization itself.

We are living in the most critical moment of human development.... I know this life-time feels like it totally sucks, but I really do believe we all have a very important role to play here because literally everything built and thought about and recorded is on the line here, we could lose 5000 years of human progress if we're not careful here right now.

>I don't think you realize how much of a pain in the ass it is for an employer to have to replace someone.
So why are zero hour contracts so fucking popular?

The real problem here is that there are too many people for too few jobs. Your advice can help people on an individual level, sure. But if everyone starts doing what you suggest we will be right back at square one.

to be able to completely commit to a field and future in the united states you have to have the feeling that there's going to be a stable future in the country. 9/11 and recession effected how millennials view the world and the future.

also feel good do whatever you want new age baby boomer advice from college educated shitheads

foot care as in nail and foot care for high risk patients and people that aren't able to care for themselves. would also like to take a wound care course eventually but i deal with plenty of DFUs in my current position.

>also feel good do whatever you want new age baby boomer advice from college educated shitheads
My baby boomer highschool counselor made me take a test to find out what I should do. The test determined since I liked animals I should work in a zoo. I said for that learned programming and make Bank now fuck animals.

>Where do you work?

yeah I'm gonna out myself on an obscure american forum

yeah they'll probably replace us as soon as they can lel

reach fork, high picks, etc

As a millenial myself i'll tell you what it is in short, they're fucking lazy.
It's always the other guys fault & claiming they're depressed when they are just going through a bad patch.
Society moddy coddled during their childhoods so they dont know discipline and once someone of authority such as a manager stands up against them they start start swinging.
Soft generation, need a serious kick up the arse.

Lazy useless fucks, the lot of you. Gonna live with mommy and daddy until they die, then sell the house and live in a shitty apartment, then die homeless.

that test told me i should be a system administrator

i decided the field of chronic alcoholism is more fulfilling

The employer mandate in the ACA has been the biggest contributor to the problem. I'm not kidding.

>On a sub-conscious level they know that the marxist model forced upon them offers zero future or hope, so they have instinctively stopped preparing for that non-existent future. It's actually pretty smart in a way, problem is this is a one way trip back to the stone ages and that really isnn't the best option for us as a whole.

This happened in the Soviet Union. Critics of the system called the new people Homo Sovieticus. In the West they have created a generation of Homo Multiculturensis.

Sikhs and chinks are garbage. AVOID THEM BURGERBROS

They will exclusively contact other pajeets and chinks for any medial service. Plumbing, car insurance, financial advisors, etc they will only hire if they are staffed exclusively with pajeets/chinks. THIS IS WHAT IS DESTROYING JOBS FOR WHITES. They don't want to hire white workers because they are racist as fuck and they'd rather exploit their own "people" with underpaid jobs than ever think of even hiring a white employee on anything above min. wage SIKS ARE NOT BRO TIER. SIKHS AND CHINKS ARE A PLAGUE. DEPORT THEM ALL BURGERS

It won't last. He's disposable and he can be easiy replaced once they decided to hire somebody who will work for less.

ACA Employer mandate only counts in US.
France, Spain and all of southern Europe are mega fucked for millenial employmen

>graduate high school
>enlist
>make it through in one piece
>get hired by PMC
>guard politicians
>90% of the gig is larping as a operator
>10% percent is dogding ambushes
>make 200k for 6 months work, have 6 months off
>plus benefits
>including stock options on defense contracting companies

feels good man, college is for fags

people will always be paying for war

>accelerated BSN program
Wow, you can get a nursing degree with no related previous degree, in one year? I assume you had a bunch of biology or something because that seems way too much to learn in one year. Isn't clinical practice about a year typically? I don't know much about nursing except having a few friends go into it.

It's actually pretty hard to fire someone in Australia, assuming he isn't doing anything wrong.

ridiculous, in my country you know what people say to someone applying for a workplace in his 40 years old age?

You are too old

Clearly you don't know how society works , and someone that found a nich in the system and leaving large could not care less for you or the poor state of society from they're yacht .

For you to have a good life others have to sustain it, enjoy paying 20% or more of your monthly income to the boomers

>if everyone was a nurse or therapist there'd be some problems hurdur

Well, obviously if everybody did, it'd be an issue. Look up the clinical staff shortages in the US right now. There's a reason there's a high influx of Filipinos wanting to come over as RNs/PTs, we're just not producing enough nurses to meet the demand of our Boomers.

If everyone specialized in something, it'd make the economy 100x more efficient, and I don't think many people realize that.

Money is an alternative representation of time. By specializing in a given field, you save yourself and your potential employer/clients time, thus saving everyone money.

I pay good people at least 5% more than prevailing market value because I'd like to retain them and keep good workers. I can't tell you the number of times I am/was willing to pay someone 1000 bucks to fix a headache at the company.

Set up remote document management and a high speed scanner that connects to a server? Shit, gotta spend 7 hours of my time finding someone qualified to do that, 7 hours I am not spending growing my business by marketing, etc.

>Feel good do whatever you want

Aka "I've worked at Starbucks for 6 years, never finished my degree and wonder why I'm poor"

>re hire

HAHA!

Because college doesn't teach you employable skills anymore. It's about squeezing out shekels and indoctrinating kids. That's why they force you to take bullshit "diversity" and art classes to become a "well-rounded student" instead of just letting you take classes for your major like they used to. You have to go through at least 2 years of bullshit before you can just focus on what you need.

gonna be hard to be homeless with all that future nuclear radiation

20 year old cuck here. taking security guard class tomorrow. unarmed.
will my chances of getting employed be better? absolutely cant land a job at wal mart or mcdonalds to save my life. too many applicants

nice proxy

what does that even mean? mediator between technology and the people that use it? are you some sort of tech-counselor?

laziness, stagnation and an indignant 'sour grapes' attitude toward being a contributing member of society is the natural end result of the subversive nihilistic filth we were indoctrinated with from a very young age. the marxist ideology has been gradually distilling since the 60's. they only seem lazy compared to lazy self absorbed gen xr's and lazy self absorbed boomers.

lad,
How would you advice me to present myself to employers? I wanna get a job ASAP because I know my shitty lazy personality takes over when I sit still for too long.

Become a truck driver m8. Some companies pay for schooling, hotel fees ect.

Thanks for the response, I thought that you had to have actual nursing experience though (like a nursing job after nursing school) before you commissioned in the military as a nurse?

Bad fucking idea, you will be useless in a decade.

>The employer mandate in the ACA has been the biggest contributor to the problem. I'm not kidding.

Very true, I was ecstatic when Trump won since he announced that'd be something they'd get rid of.

Nail on the head, solid explanation Bongbro.

pewpew, stay safe.

>expecting companies to try and grow without hiring more people

That's why I think trade schools should be seen as a more acceptable route. We've been brainwashed into thinking "you have to get a degree" when in reality, you can make a plenty solid income without one - you just need to have training elsewhere or specialize in something else.

Dead end job, work it while you have it, but try and start getting jobs somewhere else. Try getting a job at a bank doing anything except teller - working at a bank is a good career, and if you want to do something else it's a good thing to have on a CV for professional experience.

That job will no longer exist in 10-15 years.

you could be making a lot more money by ransoming those politicians off for crowd funded butt fucking

what do you guys think of pursuing a pharmacy degree? Worth it in terms of prospects+salary?

It means that half my studies have been more technical, learning some programming, UX etc. (in order to understand it, not to master it)
The other half is more artsy... Communication, ethnography, the stuff regarding the humanities.

It's a good way to get the ball rolling. I didn't mean it as permanent solution

See

god i wish that were me

I have B.S. in Engineering and an MBA and I was totally thinking about doing some kind of online classes that have to do with IT/Computer programming. So many jobs that i've been looking at want people to have programming exp despite that no classes I take teach you programming unless you are a computer science major.

this

when i was 12 my father was deployed in kuwait for a year and i was worried about him dying (the media really loved stories about violence in the middle east around then).

instead of comforting me or talking to me about reality, my mother took me to a doctor and got me put on anti-depressants. my extended family supported this.

the problem is real

What would you suggest for an aspiring machinist/mechanical engineer? I'm going to college next year and trying to get a BS, if not a masters.

would do it if i didnt have a dog
of course. i plan on starting a business. but i need start up money first, which i can get if someone actually hires me

still have no idea what you do

btw does anyone have career advice for someone that spent 18-28 being homeless and selling drugs? I don't have a record (somehow) but I also have no legit work experience. I'm not sure how to even improve on this situation. No matter what certificates or degrees or training I get I'm at a serious disadvantage. might just have to become an international drug lord desu

College educated people are superior to non-college educated people. Regardless of who makes more money!

Going to a trade school right now for Networking, doesn't even come with a certification. Thinking about dropping it and hopping into CNC Machining. Everyone and their cousin is already a welder here

>pharm degree

Seems like definitely overpaid in terms of what you actually do, but at least in USA requires a ridiculous amount of school.

In my area there is a pharmacy on every corner, so there must be a lot of jobs.