Operation Decolonize Science Part 1?

Here is World Map from African Perspective

Can we get this Upside Down Map trending?

For Activating Almonds:
- Earth is just a rock floating in space, so it dont have up and down
- and since we dont know how magnet works anyway.. (why north is north? why south is south?)

Quote from Wikipedia:

>Psychological significance

>Research suggests that north-south positions on maps have psychological consequences. In general, north is associated with richer people, more expensive real estate, and higher altitude, while south is associated with poorer people, cheaper prices, and lower altitude (the "north-south bias"). When participants were presented with south-up oriented maps, this north-south bias disappeared.[1]

>Researchers posit the observed association between map-position and goodness/badness (north=good; south=bad) is caused by (i) the convention of consistently placing north at the top of maps, and (ii) a much more general association between vertical position and goodness/badness (up=good, down=bad), which has been documented in numerous contexts (e.g., power/status, profits/prices, affect/emotion, and even the divine).[2]

>Common English idioms support the notion that many English speakers conflate or associate north-with-up and south-with-down (e.g., "heading up north" or "down south"), a conflation that can only be understood as learned by repeated exposure to a particular map-orientation convention (i.e., north put at the top of maps). Related idioms used in popular song lyrics provide further evidence for the pervasiveness of "north-south bias" among English speakers, in particular with regard to wealth. Examples include, using "Uptown" to mean "high class or rich" (as in Uptown Girl byBilly Joel), or using "Downtown" to convey lower socioeconomic status (as in Bad, Bad Leroy Brown by Jim Croce)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South-up_map_orientation
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sauce
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South-up_map_orientation

>we’re a big spinning ball in space, and North and South are really just reference points. Or are they? Think what the world might be and look like if the aboriginal people of Australia or the Incas had beaten us to mapping it.

>The distortion of different regions on these maps potentially promotes first world countries that are predominantly white.

>the map promotes regions that are predominantly white.

>projection has the potential to promote ideas of white superiority and eurocentrism. Size often denotes importance, so when students use a map that dramatically decreases the size of Africa, it can change the way they view that region without them even knowing it.

>Why, then, do we rarely see maps with Asia in the center? Why were countries and regions like the United States and Europe placed in the Northern Hemisphere while Africa and South America are in the Southern Hemisphere. This designates Africa and South America as second-tier regions when, in reality, the Earth can be viewed from any angle.

>The way in which we view the world has a profound impact on how we treat people who are different from ourselves. When we use one map that only shows one depiction of the Earth, we miss all other perspectives that should be valued. No, maps are not inherently racist, we have just chosen a map with a single perspective of the world.

We accept the world map orientated the way it is simply because it educated assimilation. If we don't share the same understanding, then ideas are lost.

We call North north because it is a noun.
The name you identify with is your name.

Boston schools ditch conventional world maps in favor of this one

>For decades, geography teachers have relied on a more than 400-year-old map that grossly distorts the size of the world’s landmasses — the byproduct of trying to depict a sphere on a flat surface and, perhaps, of Colonialism.

>The world maps that have hung on school walls in Boston and around the country portray North America as larger than Africa (but it’s not) and Alaska as more mammoth than Mexico (also untrue).

>But now, social studies classrooms throughout the Boston Public School system are getting an upgrade some 448 years in the making. On Thursday, about 600 elementary, middle, and high school classrooms received new 24-by-36-inch laminated maps – yes, paper maps and not high-tech, satellite images – in an effort to show students what the world really looks like. The district is swapping out conventional mapsfor those that more accurately depict the dimensions of continents and countries.

>The map exchange is part of the district’s effort to “decolonize the curriculum” within the next three years, said Colin Rose, assistant superintendent in charge of the Boston Public Schools’ Office of Opportunity and Achievement Gaps. A goal of the office is to eliminate structural bias and inequality within the school system while ensuring that what students learn in the classroom is culturally competent.

>“So this is about maps, but it isn’t about maps,” Rose said. “It’s about a paradigm shift in our district. We’ve had a very fixed view that is very Eurocentric. How do we talk about other viewpoints? This is a great jump off point.”

>The previous map, created in 1569 by Flemish cartographer Gerardus Mercator for navigational purposes, warps the sizes of continents and countries. Africa is three times bigger than North America, for example, but appears smaller on the map.

Your anarchy will take no quarter into the scientific world.

>the continent you live on and where you'll look the most should be really small, to make it harder for kids

genius

Why should the poles get all the glory? Up/Down = pole? Why? They aren't even permanent

Doesn't bother me. North happens to be up because the map makers are in the north. What of it?

Does it look like they made Canada smaller or am I just fucked?

>Asia can fit into Africa with plenty of room to spare
Nah, the liberals just decided that Affirmative Action needs to apply to maps as well.

>North Pole, South Pole

True north and true south are oriented at the points of axis the Earth spins. The "poles" are the magnetic field that has been used to get a sense of the general direction of true north and true south.

We call it North because it is the north axis.
We don't rotate on an axis at 90 degrees latitude.

Cultural diversity education

>Cultural diversity and media literacy educators use south-up oriented world maps to help students viscerally experience the frequently disorienting effect of seeing something familiar from a different perspective. Having students consider the privileged position given to the Northern hemisphere (especially Europe and North America) on most world maps can help students confront their more general potential for culturally biased perceptions. More information on the educational application of south-up oriented world maps can be found on the Boston Public Library's website.[4][5]

The North-up map does have one superior attribute, the earth appears to spin from left-to-right, which coincides to the direction we move when reading English words.

b-but how do you know north is north in space?

I didnt even notice this
>White people made dae maps rasis
>Lets make all the countries with niggers bigger because science

Correction, the equator is at 0 degrees and the North and South are at 90 degrees.

>All these varying ways to re-orient the map
>Still insisting on putting the ice caps on the top and bottom
It's like they managed to find the most boring solution to making it different they could. Whats next: imagine if East was actually West?

Africa On Top

>Africa On Top
in the center of the map to be precise..

It is actually a different type of map that does the opposite distortions that the typical maps do
>typical maps: Russia/Canada larger than reality
>nog map: Africa/India are larger than reality
It's like they want to live in a floating shit in space.
>It is unfair for English speakers to have an unfair advantage in determining the position of "left" versus "right", researchers say
>Left corresponding with the hand that can make a "L" shape is obviously a product of White privilege in determining what words will determine what thoughts in the minds of People of Color.
>"Imagine a world where Aboriginals are the first to decide what word determines directions" a researcher explains, "In such a case, english speakers would very well be at a disadvantage to determining direction!"
>Activist believe that the acknowledgement of the power of our words will signal to peoples of color that white people recognize their superiority and are sorry.

Calm down. There's plenty of politics behind cartography.

I really hope so, then i can use "WE" as a reference to what is where again

>mommy, why do all the rivers flow up?
>not all rivers flow up, darling. Some rivers in Africa, like the Nile River, flow down!
Racist cunt.

Well the space planes of reference are still up in the air. They use Earths North and South to put a bearing on Up and down in space. But there is no true way to measure East or West in space.

So for anything not up or down, it is measured by a factor of pi or radians to get a bearing of direction from Earth.

Our mapping has also been on a 2D surface so we will need a third direction further for space navigation.

Up and down
360 degrees East and West
Longitudinal factor in the third dimension(Going diagonal)

Imagine if Social justice faggots were in charge of discovering the new world, how lost they'd be.

We Wuz Center Map!

>upside down
still calling the north "up"
>mfw

I aint even mad, just found it funny how America and Africa became bigger then the largest country and continent respectively.

Here in Canada we refer to Saskatchewan as "The Gap" (The gap that no one wanted), I dont see my country as much different (disregarding muh 1812).
We are more of a frontier for 9001 countries then a country these days

I'd say what you are presenting now is relevant for space if one day they decide to slap East or West on it

Why do we need to change it just to please some niggers? 'sfine how it is

Furthermore, in 3D graphics there is a 4th vector called Quaternions. These are the rotational states the object is in.

It is still a 3D object it just also has a 4th variable to calculate it's own rotation orientation.

This is all semantics. Give a GOOD reason for this to happen. Y'know, other than complaining NIGGERS. The map is quite fine how it is.
What if the map was like this? Niggers would still find a way to complain about it

>'sfine
Please write "it's fine". It sounds less gay.
What's wrong with a map that gives a better idea of relative size. I don't care too much which is used but maps are fun to read about and look at

Check this: What's wrong with this? Same shit. This is a completely useless argument. None of the maps ITT are the true size map like pic related.
>gay
NO, YOU'RE GAY

Saging the thread to call OP a NIGGER one last time before it archives. SO, Kill yourself Afrocentrist NIGGER.

Again, what's your issue? Projecting a sphere to a rectangle is hard as is evidenced by the many different maps. Why are you bothered by anyone pointing this out?

>Projecting a sphere to a rectangle is hard as is evidenced by the many different maps. Why are you bothered by anyone pointing this out?
What led you to believe I was bothered by it? I don't understand why we need to change the current map that we already have to appease NIGGERS. Explain that to me. I know it's difficult to project a sphere to a rectangle, NIGGER

>b-but the map is upside down
will anything make these dirty niggers finally lose their sense of insecurity?

I guess my point is that there are agendas behind maps looking as they do. A Mercator is fine by me, but I think your diagnosis of 'niggers' as you've eloquently put, it is wrongheaded.

The bias would only be reversed if you decided to artificially reverse North and South, South would be seen as better than North.

> there are agendas behind maps looking as they do
Stopped reading here. OBVIOUSLY THERE IS, LITERAL DOUBLE TRIPLE SIDE OCTAROON NIGGER, as evidenced by this thread. Yet ANOTHER Afrocentrist NIGGER trying to change how the map has been. It's fine how it is. They can go back to Africa for all I care and perform shaman rituals over their upside map, but why do we need to change for NIGGERS? Explain this. NO good reason to change our current map orientation other than accommodating the confused BOONS of the world.

this is the only true map of the world

>>Research suggests that north-south positions on maps have psychological consequences. In general, north is associated with richer people, more expensive real estate, and higher altitude, while south is associated with poorer people, cheaper prices, and lower altitude (the "north-south bias"). When participants were presented with south-up oriented maps, this north-south bias disappeared.[1]

Ok, so now all our maps are upside down

people will still know where the rich white countries are and what side of the map they're on. They'd just have a new bias where south is prosperous and north is dirty, poor 3rd worlders

this is the most pointless, retarded thing that exists on earth. how can there be multiple people spending time and being paid to come up with this garbage?

but australia is a nice place

libshit """"science"""" BTFO

>For decades, geography teachers have relied on a more than 400-year-old map that grossly distorts the size of the world’s landmasses — the byproduct of trying to depict a sphere on a flat surface
>and, perhaps, of Colonialism.

ughghghghghhghh

>>The map exchange is part of the district’s effort to “decolonize the curriculum” within the next three years, said Colin Rose, assistant superintendent in charge of the Boston Public Schools’ Office of Opportunity and Achievement Gaps. A goal of the office is to eliminate structural bias and inequality within the school system while ensuring that what students learn in the classroom is culturally competent.

what does this even mean? god damn it america

>Having students consider the privileged position given to the Northern hemisphere (especially Europe and North America) on most world maps can help students confront their more general potential for culturally biased perceptions

yeah, this makes sense. maybe I should just start doing retarded research like this for a living. people have no shame

>should we use the map that correctly reflects the shape of the countries?
>no, lets use this that makes africa look very large and europe tiny!
>how about we use a globe?
>RACYSSSS!!!!!!!

>Lets make all the countries with niggers bigger because science
damn I rofled

>The world maps that have hung on school walls in Boston and around the country portray North America as larger than Africa (but it’s not) and Alaska as more mammoth than Mexico (also untrue).

And what's the use of accuracy when the majority of the retards in this country won't be able to point these countries out after they either dtop out or make their no child left behind graduation?

>Can we get this Upside Down Map trending?
NYPA

>natacha

even Russian names get she-booned in the USA

>aboriginals
>beating anyone at anything, ever
lol

>how can there be multiple people spending time and being paid to come up with this garbage?

That's the saddest part.

Thats because there are no temperate land masses in the south other than really south america.

If there was more land steming from antartica creating a temperate climate it would be populated by white people