Is vulgarity degenerate?

I curse all the time and very casually, but people who are offended by vulgarity disgust me. I literally cannot have a conversation with certain people because if I slip up and say "And I was like, what the fuck" or "So then this fucker said so-and-so" I will then be accused of cursing AT THE PERSON. They literally don't understand the concepts of "intent" and "context". You can say anything the fuck you want to me as long as I know your intent was not to offend me.

what's pol's opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t3NOYMzVC3s
lmgtfy.com/?q=Vulgarity is a sign of low intelligence
youtube.com/watch?v=MxNNU9gXnAU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes. Jews literally invented vulgarity to corrupt our society. Please don't fall for their oldest trick.

Vulgarity is a sign of low intelligence, because you lack the capacity to substitute words, appropriately express yourself, and broaden your vocabulary. You should master the english language along with whatever else you are striving for.

I find it useful to listen to brits speak because sometimes they use words that aren't common to north america.

>I find it useful to listen to brits speak

OI YA FUKKIN CUNT COME OVER ERE AN GIVE A GOOD SHAG EY

Oh I forgot, americans don't have accents and invented english.

youtube.com/watch?v=t3NOYMzVC3s

I'm very intelligent and also very lazy.
I substitute words for fuck.

TO THE PURE

ALL THINGS PURE

TO THE BASE

ALL THINGS BASE

>Vulgarity is a sign of low intelligence

This has been debunked by several studies. But I can tell you love believing your own bullshit, so to each their own.

North americans have small vocabs most of the time. For instance, most people don't know that monies is an actual word and not just slang.

>you are wrong, I have evidence you are wrong but I won't bother posting it because I'm right

>americans

I don't speak for pol, but I find the casual conversational curser lazy with their language. When I hear things like 'this fucker said' I'm left guessing the definition of fucker based on context and body language- Is fucker describing an annoying person, an incompetitent person, a vengeful person, a literal fucker? In the end it just leaves more work for me the listener and more miscommunication. Since communication is key I will never marry this type of communicatior, but one who utilizes the full breadth of the English language.

Can you not Google the exact fucking phrase you typed AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR FUCKING POST?

>Vulgarity is a sign of low intelligence

Christ in a cannon, you're less than five posts in this thread and your attempts at seeming intelligent and erudite are cringe-worthy.

Or if you listened to the entire conversation and weren't an idiot, you'd realize that in this context, "fucker" means "this person I don't like".

Great let's see what the results are shall we?

Sources
>yale
>gamespot
>daily mai
>various other shit sources

>I'm smart trust me!

Fuck off amerikike. Learn to speak your own language gaylord.

fucker can be an affectionate term, such as cunt, etc...

>These sources are wrong
>Why?
>Because I said so
>But there's over 800,000 results
>So what?

Yep. Time to stop posting, leaf.

Like I said, if you LISTENED TO THE CONVERSATION, heard my tone of voice, took all of it in context, and weren't an idiot, you'd understand that in this particular case, fucker is what I chose to call this person I don't like.

Look at the results you retard, it's all retards. Swearing doesn't make you smarter, you are literally retarded for suggesting it.

Your tone makes me want to gas you.

>it's all retards

According to you?

By the way, I never said it shows that you're intelligent, fuck, I never even said it means you're less intelligent, you did and I just simply pointed out that it has been debunked several times over.

Then you ignored it and called the cited sources "retarded". Even Yale is retarded? Really?

You think gamespot, huffington post, daily mail and yale are good sources? Are you smoking crack?

People who get offended over curse words are like those annoying kids from elementary that used to go "Oooooooooooooo" when you got in trouble over some trivial and meaningless shit.

People who don't can't speak gooder are smart! Vocabulary means nothing!

It means you are a retard who failed english in highschool.

As I said, there's over 800,000 results. Maybe you could .... hell, I don't know .... look around and find some sources that are you to your standards?

Or post a few studies showing that swearing frequently is directly correlated to being a less intelligent person?

See, I just thought of two ways we could handle this, you just sit there and refuse to listen and then called an Ivy League university "retarded".

Absolutely plebeian

You don't seem to be looking for others opinions, but simply a reaffirmation of your beliefs, so here.

Yeah man I dont' get it, people who clearly understand the context of our conversation understand that I'm simply glossing over a irrelevent pronoun and adding an impassioned expression fuck shouldn't get offended by hearing a vulgar word. How narcissistic!

Americans think refining their mannerisms and etiquette is for fags and trannies. They don't understand that presenting themselves in an appropriate manner is appreciated by most.

That's why they call us "really nice and polite" just for acting normal.

>he thinks he's sophisticated
>he thinks everyone who curses has no vocabulary

No. Only people who use fuck repeatedly without purpose like the way feminists/sjws do when they get angry.

You aren't very pleasant, in-fact I find you distasteful.

i think you're a faggot leaf who needs to get fucking raked

I wonder why I as a young guy am not allowed to swear, yet women can swear all they want and swallow semen on camera and nobody will criticize them for doing anything.

checkem faggot get raked

>newfags getting trolled this hard

Do you even know how to properly set a table, you savage? I bet you don't know the difference between the spoons or forks.

>You don't seem to be looking for others opinions, but simply a reaffirmation of your beliefs, so here.

Okay, first of all, I never said anything about using vulgarity makes you a more or less intelligent person, your fellow leaf brought that shit up, then got BTFO and threw a hissy fit.

Secondly, I don't give a fuck if you think cussing is wrong, I'm just curious if you think it's degenerate and if so, why?

Well, we can't say it's because it means you're of lesser intelligent because we've already discussed that reason and it's obviously bullshit.

So, let's hear some other opinions and the reasons behind them, shall we, guy who has absolutely no reading comprehension?

>Bro, and I fucking was fucking like...fucking like fucking this bro...*creates retarded hand motions*

I hate faggots that do shit like that. Using vulgarity if your're angry or frustrated i can understand, but you sound like an immature cunt when you have to use "fuck" (or any variation of it) after every single word in your sentences.

kys leaf

youtube.com/watch?v=MxNNU9gXnAU

>mfw I actually took etiquette courses provided by the queens butler and some chefs
>mfw americans don't even know what the rose bowl is for
>mfw savage american tries to infect me with his barbarism

Who says you're not allowed to swear? Speaking to your boss, co-workers, or teachers, yes, obviously you need to leave out the salty language, but what about when you're alone with your friends?

Alright, two guys who think I meant that I say "fuck" and only "fuck" repeatedly in every sentence, I don't and I just meant cursing in general. I'm not like what you described and I've never even met anyone like that.

Meant to quote you here:

Watch this lady, she explains why manners are important and how to set your table.

She looks like she's ready to suck a dick right then and there.

That's a shame ol' bean.It seems will will fight to the death over some mundane topic that no other individual will want to partake other than both of us particular life forms.

If you use the phrase "I was like..." you should kill yourself.
You have an immature vocabulary.

Please, give us a demonstration on how you curse in a sentence.

Colbert can say what he wants, shill, and we can still call him out for being crude and having no argument.
AMERICA
FUCK YEAH

literally a fucking leaf.

If you're swearing so much that it's off-putting to people you are probably a really unpleasant person.
I make zero effort not to swear irl but people are sometimes shocked to hear me swear. I very rarely swear in conversation, apparently.
If I stub my toe I will yell FUCK, though. Count on it.

>getting this butt flustered because you wear shoes inside and hold your utensils all hamfisted and shit.

We've been using that phrase since we were fucking old enough to start speaking, it's just too common and too ingrained to help not saying it from time to time.

But your autism won't allow you to understand that explanation.

I just gave two examples in the OP. They both used "fuck" and that rustled your jimmies and that's not my problem.

>If you're swearing so much that it's off-putting to people you are probably a really unpleasant person.

I don't. And I'm not. I said the problem was with people who cannot understand things like "context" and "intent", in other words, they don't understand the difference between me swearing and swearing AT THEM. They just a four letter word and get upset.

Do any of you people actually read the entire OP before you start posting?

holy fuck, ok I'm not ever buying this bud.

In the end it comes down to information density and entropy, it's purely physics. If a computer hard drive stores irrelevant bits of information, chances are one is running a bad program. If the information taken off a hard drive is not interpreted the same way every time, chances are one is using a faulty processor. We would never tolerate such occurrences in our machines, so it's understandable that ones like myself find annoyance when it happens in language

Wow.

That is some full-blown, no fooling autism you have there, buddy.

Not only is the point itself absolute, pure, unbridled stupid, but the conviction and confidence with which you conveyed it, almost as if no one else can read it, is .... just .... wow.

If I needed a psychological diagnosis I wouldn't come to Sup Forums. This is the best argument I have that vulgarity is degenerate, foul mouths waste societies scare resources allocated to create an informated electorate, markets that reflect fundamentals, and a cohesive culture. Since swears are both vague in definition and often unneeded appendages to sentences they are more wasteful than regular words.

>Since swears are both vague in definition

We've discussed this, it all comes down to context, and as long you're a non-idiot and understand context, this wouldn't be a problem. There's also a huge, gigantic swath of what you call "regular" words that are also vague by definition, but you have no problem with any of those.

>and often unneeded appendages to sentences they are more wasteful than regular words.

If it makes the sentence funnier or more emotional or more heated and passionate, then that's classified as "unneeded"? Expressing more emotion is "wasteful"?

You wouldn't know what normal, human emotion was if it introduced itself as such and then raped your mother right in front of you.

It's mostly angry old guys in public who take issue with me swearing. They need to shut the fuck up and mind their own business. And women can do whatever they want so it's even more irritating that I am held to standards of behavior that others are not.

I've also been warned online (not on Sup Forums) for swearing and it's ridiculous. Anybody who thinks swearing is the worst thing in modern western culture needs to open their eyes.

>"And I was like, what the fuck" or "So then this fucker said so-and-so"
sounds like woman conversations

the words are lazy, crude, and ugly. if you use them, so much the worse for you. I just hope you have the good sense not to swear in front of other people's children.

>Well, we can't say it's because it means you're of lesser intelligent because we've already discussed that reason and it's obviously bullshit.

Well in the same way, it is untrue to say "saying stupid things means you are less intelligent." Intelligent people say stupid things all the time. But we do not think stupid comments are worthy of intelligent people, just as we do not think swearing is an intelligent habit.

If you over use them they lose their effect.

Save them for special occasions.

>the words are lazy, crude, and ugly

And if a person uses them innocently without intending to offend you or hurt your feelings, then you should grow the fuck up and let it go and let other people express themselves as they please.

>if you use them, so much the worse for you

Yeah, is it now? How?

>I just hope you have the good sense not to swear in front of other people's children.

Another idiot who didn't read the OP. Of course, I don't swear in front of people I don't know that well, have never met before, or in front of children. My problem is with people who DO NOT understand the difference between someone swearing and someone swearing AT THEM. They just hear a four letter word and get upset.

Like you.

Only if you swear in the Cat gen.
Then say 20 heil Marys cunt.
Also if you swear in front of a nun, somebody's mom, or during Mass you should be belted.

>just as we do not think swearing is an intelligent habit.

See, I don't judge people's intellect based on the language they choose to use or the way in which they choose to express themselves. I listen to what they ACTUALLY FUCKING MEAN WHEN THEY'RE SPEAKING and then make a judgement based on that, not on the dirty words they may or may not say.

But that makes a little bit too much sense, I understand and I apologize.

Wrong cuck, intelligent and passionate people swear more because it greatly enhance the impact of what your saying or the point your trying to make. Stay cucked

At least your finally engaged in argument along side your ad hominem remarks now.
I think being a non-idiot and understanding the context is a lot easier said than done. Since no two people share the same perspective and interpret even the most concise and clear language the same, there is rarely ever a perfectly shared context. This board is a good example. Despite your efforts to communicate your post, you still feel like many people arn't listening to you, despite a lack of a clear motive to manipulate your words.

I appreciate your second quandary. Without emotion there would be no art, and by extension little reason for living. All I'd add is that a balance aught to be stuck within the context, my choice is to only swear in moments of intense pain for example, but a polar opposite, one who uses one cuss for everything like 'that fucking piece of fucking shit fuck' could do better.

>ad hominem

You obviously have no idea what this means. I make a biting remark AFTER making a point against your point. The biting remark wasn't the entire post. But then again, why would you go back and actually read what I said? No one else has.

>I think being a non-idiot and understanding the context is a lot easier said than done.

If you're from another country or speak English as your second or third language, agreed. If not, this is bullshit. My point is that people who just HEAR a "dirty" word and become upset are the ones who don't understand context or intent. I'm not talking people in general. Again, you obviously read anything I wrote.

>you still feel like many people arn't listening to you, despite a lack of a clear motive to manipulate your words.

Did I ever accuse anyone of manipulating my words? No, I accused them of not fucking READING WHAT I WROTE. You're a perfect example, by the way.

>but a polar opposite, one who uses one cuss for everything like 'that fucking piece of fucking shit fuck' could do better.

Have you ever actually met anyone who sincerely speaks like that without trying to be intentionally obnoxious for comedic effect?

Where are all of these people? I live in a shitsplat town in Texas, I've never heard anyone who swears as gratuitously as this. Maybe in Canada, it's a different story, who the hell knows.

Of course vulgarity is degenerate. Living itself is degeneracy.
Embrace it.

Fuck me, cunts like that leaf shit me up the fucking wall. The nuances that us and the poms have are brilliant. It's part of the English language. Use it!!

>vulgarity is a low sign of intelligence

maybe the 140 iq autist doesn't like being a posh canadian cuck

here's your (you)

Sorry son. It seems you've got tism.

>See, I don't judge people's intellect based on [. . .] the way in which they choose to express themselves
I don't see why not. Elegant expression will not make a wrong notion into a right one, but it will tell you something of the speaker's imaginative power.

It is a crude emphasis, in no way better than actually finding the right phrase or epithet; and it introduces so much ugliness into a sentence that it is seldom worth it.

Lazy catch-all emphases of this kind are also tedious when frequently repeated. They are too strong to be used so frivolously. It is like an action film where the action never ceases—not exciting, but tiresome, dull. To use swear words as you do is not only an affront to decorum and to decency, it is also bound to destroy the swear-word. Look at how flaccid and pointless a word is "damn", which once had the power to shock.

The only reason you get any joy at all from swear words is that people like myself persist in regarding them as unspeakable.

yes. fun is degenerate and vulgarity is fun.

Cursing is like seasoning being added to the soup of language. Use too much, and it will taste like shit

Add just the right amount and you have one tasty soup.

>I don't see why not

I see why not and I explained it.

>Elegant expression will not make a wrong notion into a right one

>I'm gonna say obvious shit that has nothing to do with anything

>but it will tell you something of the speaker's imaginative power.

And how do you know that, exactly? Do you hear someone use a few too many swear words for your liking and then tag them and release them back into the wild and monitor every daily verbal exchange they have with another person?

>The only reason you get any joy at all from swear words is that people like myself persist in regarding them as unspeakable.

Or maybe we're just comfortable speaking like this when we're comfortable with another person? Do you honestly think people who swear sit around and high-five each other every time they cuss and say YEAH!! CERTAIN PEOPLE WOULD BE REALLY UPSET IF THEY HEARD WHAT YOU JUST SAID!!

Jesus, you're fucking weird.

>swearing doesn't make you smarter
thats not the argument
the argument is, does it make you dumber..

It's lazy. I can immediately judge a person by the words he/she chose in a conversation. I'm not offended by vulgarity but I tend to tune out if it's frequent.

I stand by my fellow leaves on this one. In real life if I hear someone say "fuck" more than twice in a single sentence no matter the context I immediately disregard them as potential for intelligent discussion. What happened Sup Forums? I thought we looked down on people who use normalfag text speech/emojis/memespeak in real life so what's with the double standard when it comes to cursing?

>In real life if I hear someone say "fuck" more than twice in a single sentence no matter the context I immediately disregard them as potential for intelligent discussion

>If someone uses words I don't like, they're stupid

Air tight logic you have there, Canada.

I don't know in what part of America people express all forms of pleasure by a high-five. It seems to me that we speak to people because we enjoy doing so, and we arrange our words so as to try to be entertaining to ourselves and to others. If you cannot see that this is so, that is because you are, as I suspect, a moron.

>And how do you know that, exactly? Do you hear someone use a few too many swear words for your liking and then tag them and release them back into the wild and monitor every daily verbal exchange they have with another person?

How does anyone know anything? Only by formal scientific research? I know because I, like everyone else here, have spent most of my life listening to people speak. I do notice that those who have no original ideas often have nothing original in their manner of speaking. Drearily common minds tend to go hand-in-glove with drearily common language, of which the most dreary and most common are the words which are so aptly called "vulgar".

But, and this is more important, I am quite sure that a proper apprehension of and reverence for beauty is a sign of a healthy mind, and that anyone who is so dead to this that they will pepper their speech with the ugliest of words, and feel that nothing is lost, is surely a dull sort of person.

>I see why not and I explained it.
That is quite a bold way of putting it. I should think it is rather hard to prove a negative.

This is wrong.

People with a broader sense of existence swear more often because swearing is s boundary stopping creativity.

I keked

>swear at workplace
>get fired
>cry about it on 4chins

I swear all the time but I usually pair it with more sophisticated language

>I don't know in what part of America people express all forms of pleasure by a high-five

I never said anyone from any part of the world expresses all forms of pleasure in the form of a high-five, so I'm going to save you the embarrassment and just ignore that.

>It seems to me that we speak to people because we enjoy doing so

No, we speak to people for a lot of different reasons.

>and we arrange our words so as to try to be entertaining to ourselves and to others

Not all the time, no.

>If you cannot see that this is so, that is because you are, as I suspect, a moron.

Fine with me. You're the one not making an actual point.

>How does anyone know anything?

I asked how you know that and you respond with WELL HOW DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING? Oh, this is getting better and better. Just admit you don't know and you just don't like it when people use words you don't like.

>I do notice that those who have no original ideas often have nothing original in their manner of speaking. Drearily common minds tend to go hand-in-glove with drearily common language, of which the most dreary and most common are the words which are so aptly called "vulgar".

I never claimed everyone who cusses regularly is a goddamned genius, that other leaf did and I can tell it derailed the thread because you still think THAT I'M THE ONE who said that.

I said I have a problem with people who just HEAR a four letter word and get upset. You're one, so yeah, you should know who I'm talking about.

>But, and this is more important, I am quite sure that a proper apprehension of and reverence for beauty is a sign of a healthy mind, and that anyone who is so dead to this that they will pepper their speech with the ugliest of words, and feel that nothing is lost, is surely a dull sort of person.

The cringe is just .... I can't.

Keep jerking yourself off there, Shakespeare.

>I judge people by words they use

>I judge people by the intent and meaning behind the words they use

>Uhh ... PROVE A NEGATIVE SOMETHING DAMAGE CONTROLLLLLLLLLL

>You're the one not making an actual point.
You can't see it, but it's there.

"Manner of speaking is not suggestive of intelligence", the implied reason why you do not judge, is a negative statement. You may, of course, say that you have seen no sufficient reason to link the two. But to pretend that you have already "explained" why nobody should suspect a link would require that you had proven a negative.

I'm bored of you, so I won't be responding any more.

>You can't see it, but it's there.

Nope. Not a point in sight. Your only "point" is "I don't like cuss words and I make shit up about people who use them."

>"Manner of speaking is not suggestive of intelligence"

It isn't.

>the implied reason why you do not judge, is a negative statement.

That's not the reason. The reason is because I don't judge a person by the words they use, but their intent and intended meaning.

>You may, of course, say that you have seen no sufficient reason to link the two. But to pretend that you have already "explained" why nobody should suspect a link would require that you had proven a negative.

I never intended to prove anything, but Google will prove it for you. There's no fucking link between swearing and intelligence. Here, let me give you the same link I gave that other leaf.

>I'm bored of you, so I won't be responding any more.

Yeah, I'd leave, too if I were you. That was fucking shameful on your part.

Go fuck yourself, you photosynthetic gimboid.

Vulgarity is just a part of your language
And different languages treat it in different ways and have different uses for it.
Generally, it can be considered as a form of artistic expression, because vulgarity helps translate your feelings into words a lot easier in some cases.
However excessive vulgarity that contributes nothing to your main point is pretty cringeworthy.
Also its worth noting that vulgarity is not equally effective across languages and english is pretty weak in that department anyways.

Here is what I'm saying, in practise
You spend the whole day helping your wife make a beautiful birthday cake for your daughters birthday
After its made, she tries to put it in the fridge on her own and somehow menages to drop it on the floor.
What would make more sense? Saying:
What have you done? You should have called me.
Or
"How the fuck could you fuck this up? What the hell were you thinking? You should have waited for me god damn it"

Bosnian language is slightly more practical since we use vulgarities for more than just anger and our cuss words can be a lot more creative and desriptive

"Jebem ti supu od isusovih kostiju kopile ustasko, da ti jebem, da bog da ti trulo i sjeme i pleme prokleto a mater ti crnju jebala, picka li ti materina majcina" for example

>americans still in this thread frantically trying to prove they aren't uncouth, retards who talk like monkeys.

>I'm not trolling

>I WAS JUST TROLLING!

>Is anyone still here? No? Then I wasn't just trolling, I meant what I said in my first post

Are you Muslim? Why do you use Jesus in your example?

>"Jebem ti supu od isusovih kostiju kopile ustasko, da ti jebem, da bog da ti trulo i sjeme i pleme prokleto a mater ti crnju jebala, picka li ti materina majcina" for example

And also, what the fuck does this mean? Google Translate detected Croatian and it just said "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry", but when I changed it to Bosnian, it said something about Jesus, soup, seeds, tribe, bones, and a woman's cunt.

Im non-religious but serbian.
I used a religious figure since those cusses are generally more offensive.
It means something like
"I am fucking your soup of jesuses bones, am i fucking, you filthy croatian bastard child, may god let your dammned seed(offspring) and roots(ancestors) rot and may your mother get fucked by a nigger, by your mothers cunt of your mother"
Some parts make no sense but thats impossible to translate well

If you think having manners or etiquette doesn't make you seem more intelligent or at least more professional then you need to be murdered to death.

I've stated repeatedly that I do not swear in front of people I don't know that well, have never met before, or in front of children.

You can leave now. You have no reading comprehension and need to be "murdered to death."