What do you think of Seasteading?

What do you think of Seasteading?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4KUWfQyohXw
wattsupwiththat.com/2017/04/18/the-lure-of-free-energy-part-ii/
youtube.com/watch?v=JhVR0GvZ9tg
aboardtheworld.com/our-story/
youtube.com/watch?v=z_j0FUFFXFw
liquidfluoridethoriumreactor.glerner.com/2012-liquid-fluoride-thorium-reactors-have-passive-and-inherent-safety/
youtube.com/watch?v=msL-XFs3Ggs
marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:374396/mmsi:311213000/imo:9219331/vessel:THE_WORLD
royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheet/31/symphony-of-the-seas/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Depends, what's the nigger policy?

Whatever you want, that's the Beauty of fractionalist libertarianism.

what happens when hurricane passes over

The free market will handle it.

Kek.

The libertarians hate roads so they want to require everyone to drive their speedboats around the island to get to other buildings. Is that why it's not just a circular island?

By sinking the entire sea city.

Pretty much inevitable, IMO. I'd gladly join a libertarian flotilla nation.

While Stargate Atlantis was pretty enjoyable, it just wasn't as good as SG-1

If you're interested, the reason it's not round is because the design in the OP is made to be highly modular and expandable.

A larger breakwall is installed around the entire installation so that this Doesn't happen.

Neither were as good as the movie.

it would have to have direct reuse of its wastewater

Be a burden on the taxpayers by building a hurricane fuck..

Big waves, wut do ?

Great idea until shit hits the fan.

Spar oil platforms are safer than some coastal cities when there's a hurricane overhead.

Also, that enormous wall around the city in the OP keeps the water within a great deal less turbulent.

Dumb fantasy for dumb rich people.

With no survivors

Absolute dumbest shit.

Everything is vastly more expensive when you live on an island. Making the island smaller and more densely populated only makes that economic factor worse.

And no, you can't feed everyone with hydroponics and telapia.

>IMG_0268.jpg

So, what happens if one of those "rogue" waves comes to fuck your day up? Tell me more about the breakwalls. I understand the concept, but the logistics of anchoring such a thing, densities and mass to stop the oncoming forces and whatnot, all the formalities, what's up with those? You sound knowledgeable.

Nigga, you can grow like 200 pounds of potatoes annually in a small box (sub 10x10) with a little care for your water and tricky engineering to stack levels on top of each other like a rice farm. Humans are clever as fuck, it could happen with something as simple as a population limit.

youtu.be/4KUWfQyohXw

Or a Cat 5 hurricane with 40 foot storm surge.

wouldnt it just get fucked up every year by storms and whatnot?

I'm not sure what you're asking specifically, but I've read several interesting proposals for generators that would Harvest the energy from the waves that beat against the wall. Bigger waves means bigger profits. As for buoyancy, do you perceive any special difficulty for the wall and opposed to the platforms themselves?

Also, there would be no rogue waves since that would violate the NAP.

>what happens when hurricane passes over

The structure would be unharmed because the hurricane would not naturally violate the NAP.

lolberg bullshit like solar roads.

Sea steading will be the future with advanced nuclear reactor technology

Well, the breakwalls. How would they be anchored in place? The buoyancy of the whole project, I'm assuming at least, is a non issue if we're discussing stopping waves from sinking everything. Hurricanes would be another concern, as other anons have pointed out. We all know the ocean is an exceptional place sometimes, and I personally think that something as important as weatherproofing needs concrete, step by step logistics in order for there to be any confidence in the idea.

So these breakwalls, are they mounted to the sea floor somehow? Are they buoyant themselves? How do you keep them from crashing into the main islands? How big must they be to stop exceptional "rogue" waves, or even storm swells caused by other mundane means? I think that would satisfy my curiosity.

That's a demonstratable failure in, to my knowledge, every damn example it's been tried in. No one would be stupid enough to shill another one.

Presumably pedo uncle Pete gets shanked in the showers by the Nazi gang from D Block?

we atlantis now?

>letting niggers touch anything

Hey, ethnic purity is a lot easier to maintain on your own island chain.

>Nigga, you can grow like 200 pounds of potatoes annually in a small box (sub 10x10) with a little care for your water and tricky engineering to stack levels on top of each other like a rice farm.

Top Kek!

Remember that a space colony will be 1000x more expensive and dangerous and pointless yet everyone seems certain they're inevitable.

Just try to sort that out.

Why wait for the future? Recreational molten nitrate thorium reactors can meet demand today!

If you're interested in specifics, I believe the seasteading institute keeps a lot of their proposals on their website. An expert could probably do more justice to the subject some random user like me.

Ethnic nationalism, like totalitarianism in general, is the worlds biggest meme.

Also, I'm pretty sure the art in the OP was inspired by that game, kinda odd since it flopped horribly iirc.

It works, senpai. Until there's a blight I guess.

Hey, how many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

I swear to god I don't remember typing out senpai, what the fuck is this place doing to me

>Sea steading will be the future with advanced nuclear reactor technology

If you have advanced nuclear reactor technology why would you seastead?

Just pick some monkey fuck island country like Tuvalu (pop. 9893), buy off the islanders so they fuck off somewhere else and you are done.

Even at a million bucks a head it would be an easy investment.

One prepack country that's a hell of a lot cheaper than some massive ocean construction project.

Atlantis from stargate when?

>being this new

>Recreational molten nitrate thorium reactors

Liquid fluoride thorium reactors I can accept, it is 1950's technology that the Chinese are bringing out of hibernation to deal with their pollution problems arising from energy production.

wattsupwiththat.com/2017/04/18/the-lure-of-free-energy-part-ii/

"Recreational"...? Not so much.

desu how fucking new are you senpai?

Hey, fuck you, /k/ used to be pretty strict about the no moeshit rule until summer started taking over the rest of the year

That was a spaceship.

Summon the Krakken and its game over bro fuck that

>how many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

None.

baka desu senpai

Are we so sure that nuclear reactors in the sea is a hot idea? I seem to remember something about the nips holocausting the Pacific Ocean with their little fault line reactor project.

I'm not antinuclear or anything, I personally think it's the second best thing to glassing most of Africa for a giant solar farm, but there are certain concerns here.

Worked for Sealand, sort of.

How many nuclear vessels does your nation field, again?

Nuclear reactors at sea also give us the perfect opportunity to use this technology:
youtube.com/watch?v=JhVR0GvZ9tg

High quality, carbon neutral hydrocarbons while also producing tons of fresh water.

i used to be into it, back when i went down the zeitgeist rabbit hole. luckily, ive come out of it and realized that everything we need to live sustainably we have and we've simply been jewed into embracing (((modernity)))
old structures built with beauty and longevity in mind will survive longest.
all the stuff weve been brainwashed into thinking doesnt matter like art, or anything without an immediate function is actually what we need.
this bullshit is a leap in the wrong direction.

Newfag, go back to r*ddit

the #1 advantage would be the regulatory environment
it would have to be a big enough advantage to overwhelm all the other disadvantages
so unless it's going to be a tax-free loli paradise I'm not sure what could be done to entice people to join one
you're going to have to make sure you get skilled individuals and at least some people with capital; make it too easy and you'll attract the dregs of the world

>Worked for Sealand, sort of

Why does it work for Sealand?

1. No construction costs, they simply occupied an empty property on the basis of a combination of abandonment by previous owners (therefore not theft or piracy), no legal jurisdiction (as it was in international waters), plus terra nullius to fill the gaps.

2. They were basically a mercenary, his family and friends, so not a large crowd of people to occupy a space the size of a largish house.

3. They've already had one armed conflict to drive people off and have to keep vigilant for another attempt.

4. Their attempts at running a "no questions asked" data centre (pedo heaven) came to nothing because they were inundated with pedo's. About their only actual earnings are from stamps, coins and memorabilia and boat outings.

The World (a privately owned ocean cruiser) is a much better example of seasteading.

aboardtheworld.com/our-story/

>implying Atlantis wasn't founded to escape the dark hordes that were too stupid to make boats beyond canoes.

what percentage of these people are going to end up homeless and/or selling selfie sticks around tourist sites?

>regulatory environment
Didn't a bunch of rich Hollywood types make their own chain of islands so they could fuck off away from the plebeians every now and then?

Same shit, just pitch it to less vapid cunts.

youtube.com/watch?v=z_j0FUFFXFw

In addition, that "holocaust" was due to a meltdown. In a molten nitrate reactor, the fissionable materials are already melted down. These reactors tend to be a GREAT deal smaller than government sponsored reactors, so the effects of any accident can be minimized.

Do your part, user. Hypothetically, it wouldn't be at all expensive to fund a craft and something to sink those fuckers.

That was a huge city with flight capabilities. It's like calling a waterplane boat.

The danger from hurricanes is usually from the storm surge. If you build all the structures here to be airtight with some prep, you just lock it down when a hurricane's coming.

That's not really how a giant uncontainable vector with a more or less infinite supply of contaminant works, but I'm still on board if you've got a plan that wouldn't fail as quick as theirs did. Hell, I don't care if you have to have an entire island dedicated to a sarcophagus to preempt it if shit did hit the fan.

By the way, what happens if a hurricane comes by? I hit a dead end on the wall thing, but what about that avenue? Any ideas to keep that from wiping the slate clean?

Funny enough, a Ground Effect Vehicle is considered a boat in international law as long as it isn't made to fly above a certain altitude. Way more fuel efficient and easier to fly, too. Ground effect increases as the wing approaches the ground (or in this case, water), so if you over-tilt to the left, the increase in ground effect automatically corrects by pushing the left wing up.

LFTR's have inherent safety built in, which is what the Chinese are looking for.

liquidfluoridethoriumreactor.glerner.com/2012-liquid-fluoride-thorium-reactors-have-passive-and-inherent-safety/

They want to be able to build them in a high tech R&D centre in Shanghai, but be able to ship them all over the country and have them run by monkey's

They need to be able to turn out thousands of the damn things and once installed it needs to be able to run a town or small city 24/7 with a operating lifespan of around 30 years.

LFTR's fit this mode of operation perfectly.

no niggers in space, user.

I'm getting into Rapture the second it gets made.

>no niggers in space, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=msL-XFs3Ggs

>The World (a privately owned ocean cruiser) is a much better example of seasteading.

looking at the rent prices in some major cities I wonder if it would be cheaper to rent a room on a large boat than rent an apartment
I'm not sure about the legality of mooring close to metropolitan area, but a semi-permanent ship close to shore and jobs and supplies seems like a more feasible alternative to full seasteading

Not to mention that they function with a fuel made from their rare earth mineral mining operation.

Most of the work on the chemical side is to just reduce the size of the thorium particles in the solution to allow for more consistent fuel consumption, but even if we're using bigass fucking 1" spheres, we're still going to get much more efficient energy use than our current fuel rod system (where the uranium on the ends of the rods and in the center burn at different rates and you have to swap them around to try and get a more complete use of it).

A lot of people live on boats year 'round, even up here in Canada.

You can get a yacht big enough for 2 or 3 people to comfortably live on for about 250k on the used market.

>expensive
pretty much this, the people ho could afford it could get a real island or area's of land for 100xless the cost. Thats a lot, it's not 5 times or 20 times cheaper, it's fucking 100+ times cheaper. The real elites aren't worried about the government or police stopping by their gated estates and their islands.

>looking at the rent prices in some major cities I wonder if it would be cheaper to rent a room on a large boat than rent an apartment

I think it is actually little more than a tax dodge for US millionaires.

If it's registered in the US, they'd be bound by US law, presumably circumventing that.
If they were stupid enough to do that.

>that gif
Well at least they're being honest about it.

>The real elites aren't worried about the government or police stopping by their gated estates and their islands.

In fact they want them there because the whole point of having the government / army / police is to protect the rich from the predations of the underclass.

When you own the government, you don't have to worry about the government. The laws are whatever you say they are as are the taxes you "owe" (i.e. the government pays you in the form of state subsidies like Walmart).

just to add to my own post, the most expensive super yacht cost 600 million to build. And that was just one Yacht, even if somehow you built it in non luxury, it's going to be redicious to get it up to "colony" size. and the economy would never be self sufficient.
it is interesting to think about those mega cruiseships that never get built or non armed aircraft carriers, which is much more likely than a perement ocean settlement. Just retool it for growing crops or something, have a fleet, a few farm ships, all nuke powered, etc.

>If it's registered in the US, they'd be bound by US law, presumably circumventing that.
>If they were stupid enough to do that.

What a surprise! It's registered in the Bahamas...a fucking tax haven....

marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:374396/mmsi:311213000/imo:9219331/vessel:THE_WORLD

Looks comfy

That's really got my noggin joggin, user. I mean my almonds are really activated right now, this is a shocking turn of events.

>the most expensive super yacht cost 600 million to build

Sure, but that's not the model you would use. You would scale up from a cruise liner.

The biggest one under construction at the moment is Symphony of the Seas which has the capacity for 6,780 passengers. This includes all the space for theatres, bowling alleys, bars, restaurants, etc.

royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheet/31/symphony-of-the-seas/

A snip at US$1.35 billion (2016)

rogue wave? 60 foot swells?

and that is completely depended on shore docking for food, power(oil), and tons of staff.
You'd have to scale down the bedroom numbers ALOT to get close to having enough space for farming, self sustaining

If I knew what 'seasteading' is , then I could give an opinion.
I love the sea. I go out on a boat to catch fish. Also surfing. The sea is very cold and can remove warmth. I always say a prayer for my health, and a safe return.

>You'd have to scale down the bedroom numbers ALOT to get close to having enough space for farming, self sustaining

Alternately you could have one or more lightering vessels that undertake regular shuttle services to the nearest significant port.

Another solution might be to build a Mulberry harbour and have that as a freight stop, so ships on the transatlantic / transpacific route just drop off pre-booked containers of whatever is necessary at any point in time.

Alternately, do what The World does and just travel from port-to-port, remaining in no country long enough to be deemed resident and get your food as the inhabitants get their tourist kicks (Rome, Buenos Aires, Sydney, Yokohama, etc.)