Redpill me on nuclear power vs renewables

Redpill me on nuclear power vs renewables.

There are much better ways of doing nuclear power. All the plants now are old and unsafe but nobody's investing in the upgrade to the better way of doing nuclear.

Nuclear power is the cleanest and one of the cheapest sources of energy. That's it.

Look up Thorium Reactor on YouTube. Also, realize that when people say Solar is the future. That the sun is a nuclear reaction.

This.

/thread

Neither works well. We have to bring back coal jobs, or die.

literally this
anyone who would rather stay on (((coal))) and (((oil))) is a shill

You mean nuclear fusion, nuclear fission is a whole other story

Renewables are nice. Especially small scale stuff that would allow people to be free from the grid but they are not able to put out enough power for most peoples main source.

Nuclear is good if it could be executed correctly but the older and more experienced I get the less likely I think it is that it could ever be executed without people fucking it up.

(((they))) don't want nuclear to become mainstream because it outclasses all of our other powersources in all categories including carbon footprint, waste materials, power output, cost of electricity, etc.

This. Burning coal + coal mining is all you need.

shut the fuck up. have you ever toured a nuclear power plant? I've worked at one before and they are ridiculous about safety. You can't fuckin sneeze without there being a protocol.

I want to be down there when it activates.

:^) i miss my rad-o-meter from that job.

Oh goy, nuclear power is dangerous! Look at Chernobyl and the movies goy! Listen to the media! It's horrible, what if there is a meltdown? It's like annuda shoah!

Nuclear France vs "green" renewable Germany

Why exactly is everyone pushing Germany as a good example again?

Coal & oil are the only safe power sources.

Nobody ever got cancer from coal.

No one can save coal in the US.
It just can't compete with natural gas anymore.

Fission is clean and cheap though. We don't know how cost-effective fusion would be if it were possible right now.
It's too bad misinformation has ruined its reputation so badly when overall it's probably the best energy we have in terms of payout:consequences.

Renewables are nice but inconsistent.

What people don't realize about the electric grid is that the energy isn't stored anywhere (for the most part). Once the energy production stops, you no longer have power. So to ensure a stable flow of power you need a solid base upon which you can add extra layers energy production.

Nuclear power is that base.

The reason they have to be so autistic about safety is because the majority of plant designs are inherently unsafe. More modern designs require less autism and less expensive because they are not as dangerous.

>swisstard doesn't understand how shitlib """environmental""" regulations fuck up an industry
you guys were supposed to be based

>source?
Inhaling methane is perfectly safe

They're anal about safety because they're the single most regulated industry in the US and if the NRC catches even a whiff of unsafe procedures they get slapped with a massive fine or told to shut down which means no money for the utility companies. The reactors themselves are plenty safe

Nuclear is WAYYY more fun

woah, missles!

Natural Gas is cheaper than coal even with regulations, etc. Way less costly to extract overall.

The regulations are only a secondary drag on the us coal industry.
It's the cheap gas that's killing them.

>Nobody ever got cancer from coal
Tell that to China.

I'm from West Virginia and I can confirm that coal is a shit industry with no future. It's inefficient to extract, refine, burn, the whole process. Natural gas beats it hands down

Tell that to the 60 thousand people who have lost and will lose decades of their life because of Chernobyl.

>implying Chernobyl is even relevant to the discussion about modern reactors not run by Commies

Nice fake image, retard.

>Slav commies in charge of nuclear physics

Its ok

we just hired the french and chinese to make our nuclear reactors at an extortionately high cost

because we just cant stop fucking ourselves over.

>nobody ever gets cancer from coal
must be b8
>60 thousand
The very credible source you provided for such a number claims it's higher than that, roughly 6.3 gorrilion deaths.

Redpill on Nuclear Energy:
>Nuclear reactors are extremely safe, reliable and powerful
>The absolute saftest if you have genuinely trustworthy and reliable people running it
>This is why nuclear submarines, aircraft carriers, space probes, and nuclear icebreakers exist
>Currently in the US there are more reactors being shut down than built because of (((Fukushima)))
>However, in India they are researching and building a modern style Molten Salt Reactor
>MSRs use liquid fuel, most popular fuel is Thorium
>The Federal Government has literal tons of Thorium in storage
>MSRs cannot melt down whatsoever, making the only argument against them moot
>However, they cannot produce weapons-grade byproducts

So basically we'll just have to wait until the Poos actually get a working MSR and then sells it to us to build.

the real reason for any country to get into nuclear power is to get their hands on weapon grade uranium and plutonium.

using this as a power source leaves you with huge amounts of highly radioactive waste material that will be toxic for a fuck ton of time.

there is still not a single reliable solution for keeping that stuff save during this time frame.

chernobyl and fukushima are examples of what can happen, if therre is a mayor fuckup, unforseen circumstances or both.
it costs a fuckton, that is payed by tax money, makes large areas uninhabitable and is a mess to clean up, if that is possible at all.

also, consider nuclear power plants as military targets.

liquid salt thorium reactors provide a nuclear energy without highly radioactive waste or the danger of meltdowns. unfortunately they don't provide weapon grade material either.

in regions with high volcanic activity, geothermal gives you a very good baseload.

tidal currents and wave energy at coastal reas are virtually untapped and also give a constant energy flow.

for off grid living, micro hydro can give you all the energy you need from a small stream.

I've also been at houses that have all energy needs met by a 10k€ PV and battery bank setup in more southern regions.

you cant run a big freezer for all your frozen pizzas and burgers, but it's enough to shitpost on your favourite somalian robotics forum all day long