What sold you on your religion?

What was the defining thing that made you believe?

Other urls found in this thread:

map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_shape.html
youtube.com/watch?v=kDKGvg6HeyY
youtube.com/watch?v=wwi9Q9apHGI
icr.org/article/1066
abc.net.au/religion/articles/2012/04/17/3478816.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Baptized into it

Learn about it constantly in school

large scale and large numbers

in a universe as big as ours chances are pretty high that a godly being exists capable of creating the universe in itself and us

What were you taught that convinced you?

Nothing, cause i understand modern science.

The Bible is divine truth and if you disagree ur a fat fedora autist. The end.

Though why did you pick the god(s) you did?

there is only 'god' to me. Not a specific one. I don't think off it as some "man" in the skies pushing buttons.

Since the encyclicals were in constantly repeated, it kind of showed me the point why life seemed repetitive.

What convinced me was the bizarre events that followed after a problematic issue.

Ah, so basically deism.

yes

I always thought the concept of religion is interesting so I read all those stories as a child. I believe I started with egyptian mythology, but later I got into greek, norse sumerian and japanese ones. I'm still reading those stories today. Christianity was ineresting too. At first I was a christ and read the bible. My grandparents were brought up in a christian home but not my parents since they grew up in west germany.
I got bored pretty fast by the bible, both the new and the old testament but I thought that the old testament was more interesting. After thinking a long time about christianity I noticed how I disliked most concepts. At that point I decided to be pagan and chose the hellinistic religion since it had the best messages and made the most sense for me.

Any good books on Hellenic beliefs, morals, traditions you use as reference, or just oral tradition?

The fact that all time literally revolves around him

In no particular order, drugs, dreams unexplainable shit, synchronicity (in My life and between core principals in all religions)

And last but not least the undeniable occurance of intelligent design in all things physical

I dont follow any organized religion (the only thing you need to find god is to know your self)

In Germany is something like a organisation for hellenism and I use them as reference most of the time. But desu I also use a bunch of roman sources since I know latin but not ancient greek. So my traditions are heavily influenced by the romans

Immanuel Kant
Was atheist before him.

Some very specific prayers i wrote down and prayed about were answered in specific intervals i requested of 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, and 13 years apart. The 8 and 13 year ones i felt like my mind was blown, that feel of peripeteia/anagnorisis.

Psychedelics, my passion for Jung, visions and dreams, the fact that I am Slavic..

Grew up nonreligious. Developed my own morals through reading philosophy in my teens. Read pic related and recognised myself and my moral and philosophical beliefs in it. Once you get through the larping its a good system for those who are leaning towards Nietzsche/Sarte/Camus in terms of philosophical beliefs and Ayn Rand in terms of social and economic ideals

Anything other than "because my parents raised me that way" is a lie. Converts are a tiny minority, everyone else just sticks to what they know.

Catholic here. Abandoned my belief a long time ago but still like the rituals and the community aspect, it's comfy and reminds me of simpler times

>checked
Who's hated for being right again? "really makes you think"

There is no God only science.Born atheist and will die atheist.

Being told what I was thinking was wrong and what I spoke in another location was bad.

This was through another person who wasn't at the location where I was saying bad things...

Little bearded man made out of light appeared in my room and showed me a vision of Heaven. I thought I was going to be a prophet or something. I've since went my own way without a religion and I'll see what happens.

>(((modern science)))

Speaking in tongues/Acts 2:1-12

Believing in God for most smart people is not a very literal undertaking. God is an idea to most people, or sometimes a theory. Atheists who use modern science as an excuse to not believe in a higher purpose or power are perhaps as close-minded as people who relegate their beliefs to their holy book or church. Particle physicists, mechanical engineers, astrophysicists--they all understand the working of the universe and easily refute biblical simplifications and explanations. Yet each of them has a god. Why? Well, when you get down to the particular level, and you realize that behind the smallest and largest of all systems there exists an impetus so simple, yet so infinitely incalculable, that to suggest that things just "happen" that way is as ignorant as any religious explanation. The truth is that when the impetus behind the smallest of particles, indescribable to begin with, is crossed with its interaction with other particles, we get something which is so complex that we are never truly able to describe it in our limited three-dimensional perspective. You scientists talk of numbers, but do you not know that numbers are but a theory as well? We used to think we knew the beginning and end of an object, but now we understand matter and energy are transmutable, that particles constantly decay, that where we thought one particle ended we instead found the tendril of a quark--and it gets even smaller. To suggest a world described in numbers is to use a system which is already inherently limited in describing our universe. Though, the accuracy of the estimations are highly useful to us. We have made great strides with them. Nevertheless, there is a will and a consciousness to this universe which drives its entropy. And here we are--at once a manifestation of its order and a result of its entropy. I cannot even begin to assign a purpose as to why we are or why this universe is, but to dismiss the idea of the infinite is to close your eyes. I'd rather believe in God.

Taoism is more just a way of thinking to me than a religion. Focusing on the present more, improving my state of mind and mood through will and thought rather than trying to fill holes with damaging hobbies or addictions, it's been good to me.
I don't meditate all day or smoke weed like some new age 2deep4u Cali hipster, its more like when I take a break and go for a walk with my dog I stop worrying about things and feel the wind on my face and listen to the birds instead.
Or if I'm depressed I stop thinking about the past as much, stressed I stop thinking about the future too much. It's helped me with my insomnia, no more panic attacks, depression died right down too etc.

People think its all secret eastern inner peace type stuff, it's more like just finding enough peace with yourself to live better and breathe the clear air instead of being so wrapped up in thoughts and worries you don't have time to enjoy simple life.

Chose it because of it being less organised/controlled than other religions, not as much arguing over a god etc, and because it's good for me.

Don't believe in god, but since buddies counts in your pic , my belief in schoppenhauers will probably counts too

> "I was born into a family or society where my particular religion was practiced/encouraged"
Its such a happy coincidence that out of the thousands of religions out there the one i was born into is the right one.

/thread

I can only hope a benevolent creator exists. I fear death and the freat abyss.

im so glad for you for developing your own morals through exploring philosophy; truly a rare breed in the world.
But Ayn Rand has naive economic ideas imho. Hope you change your mind one day! Ancap society is a terrible idea.

Once I learned I could be as iresponsable, degenerate, and deplorable as I wanted. (((Cuz it's not my fault anyway))) and still get into heaven. I was sold. Why be a good person with good morals when I can just have fun, a pay for forgiveness and still get it. Shits cash.

Muslims claim to born a muslim too.

Zen Buddhism

Had a moment, that I can best described as died. My self, my ego, the thing that I call me, vanished, and I melted into the universe around me. I now meditate every morning to go back to this.

The symptom of this is tremendous amounts of peace/patience for all things. To others, I appear to be apathetic, but I'm simply interested in watching the universe unfold around me (for better or worse).

Plus you need a god living with Israelis or maybe he abandoned you

If there is a God I suspect he abandoned us a long time ago.

>Dude the universe is so big
>and it's so old
>we only live in a fraction of a second compared to the lifespan of the universe
>how could a hypothetical omnipotent omnipresent god possibly care about us
>therefore god doesn't exist

I don't get it, seems like a non-sequitur

That said I believe that in God because it seems necessary. I really like the 1st Way from Aquinas' 5 Ways- that it's necessary for something without potential that actualizes everything. And with a seemingly non-cyclical universe (from the shape of the universe), that gives us a finite universe without an end. To think the universe is solely created for us is kind of self-centered and prideful, but Christianity never says that. Christianity just says that man has dominion over our own planet. If God exists we'll find ayy lmaos with similar religions to Christianity (some sort of religion with a Savior and similar morals, may not necessarily be with a crucifix though).

Another thing is that scientists are now going all in on the "we're in a simulation" which to me just sounds like softcore theism.

map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_shape.html is what I'm talking about with the shape of the universe. Pretty interesting read.

>Rejects dogma
>Implores that you question and experiment with all aspects of teaching
>Has an in depth and coherent explanation for the problem of 'evil'/ origin of suffering
>No creator deity
>Cornerstone of philosophy and practice is the teching of impermanence, something commensense
>Teaches personal responsibility in all areas of life
>Teaches that has equal potential for development

Guess the religion

If God is beyond the material realm and thus beyond the reach of scientific inquiry, then why does the Bible specifically say:

>"If you have the faith of a mustard seed, you can MOVE MOUNTAINS" (paraphrased)

Moving mountains sounds like a physical claim that can be scientifically verified to me!!!

For me it was largely a learning what I was actually talking about. I discovered I was understanding religion as some separate thing due to anti-religion memes and realized I misunderstood most religions I spoke about. Particularly Catholicism, to which I joined.

>Reddit memes

You are fundamentally right, but the argument makes more sense if someone tells you how he cares in very specific ways that align with local culture.
>So it happened that the omnipresent omnipotent god decided to remind us about marriage laws and certain dietary taboos

If there is a god and he not only cares enough about us that he wants us to note his presence but also gave us free will about it, then he must have made our minds to develope in a way that allows us to find him independently by being a selfevident truth instead of needing specific paranormal affirmation every 500 years so some prophet can split the moon or the sea. It would be unfair otherwise towards all those who were denied to be a a part of his mission by outer circumstances such as isolated upbringing among wrongdoers for example. He would have made us so flawed that he needs to rub our faces in miracles in steady intervalls and then bet on the miracle makers followers not getting killed by others/dying out in some ways but to convert the world which noone managed to do yet.

That shit about 77 virgins and polygamy.

I'm an agnostic theist, so I dunno. The fact that there's most likely a ton of stuff beyond human comprehension, I guess?

Buddhism as practiced by white people?

Buddhism as practiced by anyone

Alot of shit,tbqhwufamilia

Allah left several but subtle hints about his existence and the existence of the afterlife here and there and it was up to us to make the so-called connections

So I was right. Good to hear.
Keep pushin' for that merit, m8.

Like what

>no creator deity
umpfh
Something fareastern like a special brand of bhuddism that does not relie so much on deities?
If its something greek then im impressed.
I never heard of people actually living by the religious implications some of the ancient philosphers gave even though platonics and the like were religions of their own.

Mormonism is batshit insane. But compared to other women, their women still value chastity before marriage, still behave, still like being homemakers. Mormonism limits the natural hypergamy of women better than most Christian religions IMO. Basically, only Mormon women are marryable. If someone wants a wife and kids, I think it's a white male's best bet. Like Joe Rogan said, Mormonism is a cult, but it's a good cult. Even liberal Jew atheist Bill Maher said he would convert to Mormonism and give Mitt Romney $1 million just to not have Trump be president.

Other religions have may arranged marriages, and that's fine too.

And I basically think you can throw away most Mormon scriptures, except this one (which mirrors, or outright rips off Matthew 25:34-40):

Mosiah 2:17
"And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

I dont believe and left it when i turned 18. Then i joined back for traditions and still dont believe in fairy tales. Christianity has good moral philosophy tho.

>subtle hints
>and then he sent his angels to assist the conqueror of faith in battle

Babysitting armies who cant cut it on their own on medieval battlefields by paranormal means is not subtle at all.

So what do you think has been misunderstood by people who practice in the West (from what I wrote)?

Buddhism in general All Buddhist traditions are atheistic Buddhas did not create you and are not omnipotent

>born into a very lax baptist/methodist household
>become atheist at an early age
>get into anthropology
>read The Great Titration, a cross-cultural study on why the scientific revolution happened in Europe and not China
>underlying religious influence ends up being a core cause given and has widespread effects on how reality is perceived and their actions
>begin to take religion more seriously anthropologically
>find Neo-Scholasticism
>realize my conception of Christianity and religions generally were highly ignorant and much more reasonable
>study other various worldviews
>end up finding myself siding with Catholicism ideologically
>my family and I largely treat it as another religion altogether compared to baptist/methodist
>find the historic defense for Catholicism to be fair too
>Catholic now

this
if your kids have iq of less than 120 raise them christian pls

bonus points for opus dei

The LARPing one.

>All Buddhist traditions are atheistic

No they arent, many bhuddists pray for deities to intercess in the afterlife or in this one and bhuddism has blended with straight up polytheisthic cultures in many places willingly.
Ungern von Sternberg met the Dalai Lama and was annointed by him to be the incarnation of a mongol wargod for whom blood sacrifiece of Pows after battle was an a-ok.
Some bhuddists very much believe there are concious powers out there which you can reach by ritualistic means of communication that were once established to achieve some kind of effect.

>Raised protestant. Never really believed in it.
>Became an atheist because school thought only reason, logic and rationality (Newton, Locke, Bacon)
>Unconsciously became a Schopenhauer-type suicidal atheist. (No meaning)
>Became a satanist since it's basicly just atheism with values for human-animals. (meaning)
>Found Alan Watts and read up on Buddhism and Zen.
>Became an modern zen buddhist. Cured my depression.
>Read Hume, Kant, Hegel, Heidegger, Kiekegaard, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche.
>Realized reason was btfo a long time ago.
>Read on Alchemy and Jung and became a deist since can't really be a theist after the enlightenment.
>Now reading Nietzsche and trying to become the noble animal
Still so much to be learned. Piecing this shit together piece by piece. To all the atheists out there: How sure are you it's not just Dunning-Kruger effect? Have you read all the stuff above? I even forgot to mention Dostoyevsky and others.

In the Quran,he mentioned that he is the lord of "The 2 Easts and the 2 Wests"
Allah literally hinted to us the existence of the Americas before the Vikings even discovered Iceland.

Also he mentioned in the Quran that the human is at first a very tiny organism (sperm) and that the sun and moon aren't part of this Earth but something very far from it

Also the way the Quran is written (in Arabic) is so well and extremely beautiful that there is no way it was a simple-minded Bedouin who made it up.

Religion makes men weak. There might be some cults, like traditional Germanic beliefs, that emphazise the opposite of this - which is definitely a good thing to know - but in general, religions are bullshit.

Not because of fedora tipping, but because of what I said at the beginning. Note that """atheism""" has the same effect as it is practiced just a cult-y as other religions and cults.

Now, to not just rant un-substantially, let me shortly explain what I mean.

Religious people worship deities (as I said, some of the Germanic constructionists are a bit different) and they pray. That, in itself, makes it inherently weak. The moment someone begs any one deity (or several for that matter) for anything, be it wealth or health or that mommy gets better, he or she submits him- or herself, ultimately giving up the power (or grip) on their own life.

Next is that most religions are death cults. Not because they value for example their ancestors, but because they emphazise a focus on the afterlife. And not only that, most even say that it's not even necessary (though it "is" in their scriptures) to behave according to their code, because as long as you "truly believe" in the end, you'll be going to be well off. Buddhism is also an exception to that, but not wholly - only partially.

That being said, of course the abrahamic cults are the worst ones, because judaism as well as islam have these weird "global hitler-ideologies" incorporated and christianity is even a cannibalistic cult - obviously designed to hand over the world to whomever asks for it.

jews.

>Religion makes men weak.

But religion also makes women behave.

Yes, there are different types of deities and it's certainly not reductionist-materialism in the philosophical sense.

But the Buddhist worldview is atheistic in that the deities did not create you and are not omnipotent, which is what makes a religion Theistic or Atheistic

>Quran is written (in Arabic)
fucking ugliest language "beautiful"

>science hints
should have hinted electricity and desert irrigation instead of this useless shit tho
i guess god hates you desert dwelers

>Religion makes men weak
Then how is Islam taking over Europe?

>Religion makes men weak
Fedorah pls.
youtube.com/watch?v=kDKGvg6HeyY

Nothing cause I believe nothing.

>Inb4 atheist fedors wearing autist Reddit memer

I wouldn't even say I'm an atheist, or agnostic. That just pins some preconceived idea of what you should be within the boundaries of these labels.
Don't really care for trying to find some divine meaning, just doing whatever I like within my own reasons. Not against religion though, if it helps you prosper in life then go for it.

Treating it as a philosophy towards modest living without judgement on personal life decisions only. That's the general understanding in the west anyway.

It isn't so much a misunderstanding as it is a shallow understanding and also reaction to Christianity. Which is what I saw in your comment from my observation.

Nice try CIA

>In the Quran,he mentioned that he is the lord of "The 2 Easts and the 2 Wests"
That is reading a lot into a very cryptic message

>Also he mentioned in the Quran that the human is at first a very tiny organism
that's pretty obvious since a woman's belly grows from holding nothing to holding something big

>that the sun and moon aren't part of this Earth but something very far from it
other cultures much older than Islam also came to this conclusion. In fact I've never heard of any culture which says the sun and moon 'are part of the earth'

>Also the way the Quran is written (in Arabic) is so well and extremely beautiful that there is no way it was a simple-minded Bedouin who made it up.
So maybe a smart Beduin made it up. Or, more likely it was a process of creation and refinement of oral lineages by many people over a long time before it was written down

If you live in the Desert, there's not really much else to do for entertainment at the end of the day than look at the stars and tell stories. I'm sure they got pretty good at it

"The etymological root for the word atheism originated before the 5th century BCE from the ancient Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)". In antiquity it had multiple uses as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshiped by the larger society, those who were forsaken by the gods or those who had no commitment to belief in the gods."

If you believe there is something beyond the material we can observe and furthermore belief it has an impact on us and posseses agency of its own then you are a theist.
And if youre just a 9 year old who beliefes in the fucking thoothfairy without ever having wasted a thought about existentialism and creation you are a theist.

Raised Gnostic Christian. Became Buddhist 23 years ago, spent a year as a trainee Zen priest.

Great! Have some behaving women then while you're being conquered by savages and the like, because you can't defend - or worse: don't even want to, because hey it's not nice and we're all the same and "brothers and sisters" etc..

Fun fact: Because there are so few reasonable people out there, we're being handed over anyway.

>only reading the first lines

Also muslims ain't strong. They're just as weak people as you are. The only difference is, that they have - as I've written - this ideology ingrained in their holy scripture that just makes them go fuckall about your feelings and laws.

Not to mention that a horrifying amount of middle eastern people have massive amounts of genetic incest rates of around 50% and even larger.
These people are by biology bound to fuck you over, no matter what, anyway

Kalki yug

yeah, for me it was reaction against the philosophical landscape I grew up in, but it doesn;t make those things any less true

A 12th century Hindu converting to Buddhism may have been drawn to the emphasis on all beings having equal potential for development as a reaction against the caste system

I heard the quoran rhimes in its original language.
It seems clunky as fuck and borderline ridiculous if you read it in an indoeuropean language tho, once heard the pagan arabs already liked poetry a lot and formulated prayers in that way, so I can see why the quoran as a masterpiece and culmination of many generations of desertpeople making oral art in a sterile enviroment where its hard to describe stuff by using nouns (due to a lack of things around to be nouns.) has an impact on people who grew up with that language.

>If you believe there is something beyond the material we can observe and furthermore belief it has an impact on us and posseses agency
then we are all theists, unless you believe other people are mindless automata

Raised in Christianity, then grew into realizing that it was indeed the truth after research and comparison.
In the bible the mark of the beast is 666.
Kike star has 6 points, 6 sides, and 6 lines.

go there

>They're just as weak people as you are
Yes they are and I know that Im flawed and weak in many ways. Religion can give you strenght as you have something greater and absolute safe you from your flaws and limits.
Not everyone can become a Nietzschean overman, I dare to say only the most few people can. So religion makes the rest of them stronger not weaker, as the weakness is inherent to us anyway.

ironically it was the JQ that lead me to christianity

I figure that prior to 1960s it was common for Christian nations to remain Christian nations. Why would a Christian nation welcome Muslim invaders? Christians would naturally be opposed to keeping Muslims out, seeing that their religions and cultures are incompatible. I would think their natural reaction would be "but they're not Christians." It's secular liberals who say that religion should not matter in public life.

It is only after atheism took hold in Europe, and secularism, and all the cultural relativism, postmodernism, the "we cannot judge other cultures" liberal "tolerance", that led increasingly secular societies to welcome more and more foreigners.

Look at Sweden for example. Or France. It's the "enlightened" liberal atheists who mistakenly believe in equality and the inherent value of all cultures that open the door to being conquered by savages. It's social liberals (and Christians are typically conservatives) who are stuck on "hey it's not nice" because they've thrown out all the commandments but still expect others to behave themselves.

Slavoj Zizek:
>As the experience of our post-political liberal-permissive society amply demonstrates, human Rights are ultimately, at their core, simply Rights to violate the Ten Commandments. 'The right to privacy' — the right to adultery, in secret, where no one sees me or has the right to probe my life. 'The right to pursue happiness and to possess private property' -- the right to steal (to exploit others). 'Freedom of the press and of the expression of opinion' -- the right to lie. 'The right of free citizens to possess weapons' -- the right to kill. And, ultimately, 'freedom of religious belief' — the right to worship false gods.

good goy

Also
>go fuck all about your feelings and law
Why the fuck shouldnt they?
youtube.com/watch?v=wwi9Q9apHGI

Im not faithful myself, but the only foundation of law without god is the monopoly on violence.

The biggest problem for evolutionists is the origin of life from non-life. Even the simplest single-celled organism is unthinkably complex, with scores of highly-sophisticated parts, all performing important functions and all mutually interdependent. The laws of statistics have convinced all who have bothered to calculate that even a protein molecule, consisting as it does of a chain of hundreds of precisely arranged amino acids, could never arise by chance. And such a protein molecule is trivial compared to any of the working parts of a cell. When it is recognized that all of these parts must be present and functioning at the start, it must be admitted that life from non-life is impossible without intelligent design. Actually, any living thing gives such strong evidence for design by an intelligent designer that only a willful ignoring of the data (II Peter 3:5) could lead one to assign such intricacy to chance. Every living thing, from simple bacteria to people, possesses the marvelous DNA code, which contains a library full of precise information, and without which life is impossible.

Another huge problem for evolutionists lies in the nature of the fossil record, i.e., the only physical record we have of life in the past. As is now being admitted by my evolutionary colleagues, the fossil record gives no clue that any basic type of animal has ever changed into another basic type of animal, for no in-between forms have ever been discovered. Each basic type is distinct in the modern world and in the fossil record, although there is much variation within these basic types. While gradual, "Darwinian" evolution has always predicted that in-between forms would one day be found, the current rage in evolutionary circles is the concept of rapid evolution, or "punctuated equilibrium"—proposing that small isolated portions of a larger population evolved rapidly and left no fossils. But where is the evidence that they evolved at all?

Even though the gaps in the fossil record are found between each basic animal type, there are two huge gaps, which should be emphasized. The evolutionary distance between single celled organisms and the vast array of multicellular, highly complex marine invertebrates precludes even rapid evolution. In the supposedly 600-million-year-old layers of rock designated as Cambrian (the first appearance of multicelled life), sponges, clams, trilobites, sea urchins, starfish, etc., etc., are found with no evolutionary ancestors. Evolutionists don't even have any possible ancestors to propose. And then the gap from marine invertebrates to the vertebrate fish is likewise immense. To make matters worse for the evolutionists, fish fossils are also found in Cambrian strata. If evolution is true, fish must have evolved from something, and invertebrates must also have evolved from something. Evolution has no ancestor to propose, but the evidence exactly fits the creation model, for creation insists that each animal type was created fully formed, with no evolutionary transition.

The evidence for creation is so strong; it is illogical to believe anything else. Only a religious commitment to atheism, or a desire for the approval of those atheists, who call themselves scholars, could lead one down this path. The Bible says that those who deny creation are "without excuse" (Romans 1:20).

>icr.org/article/1066

>It is only after atheism took hold in Europe, and secularism, and all the cultural relativism, postmodernism, the "we cannot judge other cultures" liberal "tolerance", that led increasingly secular societies to welcome more and more foreigners.

Only after fascism got culled which was also a result of christianity in crisis. Mussolini was an atheist and his doctrine was one of hobbes.

Lucid Dreaming.

I didn't know Zizek had some Traditionalist in him. Where's that quote from? Pretty based

There is a difference between being flawed and physically weak and being "weak" - which is so much more than being able to deadlift 400.

Infact the weakness I'm talking about is making people do exactly that what you described. Focus on something "later on", because you know "everything will be good in the end". Because "in the end all my shit is forgiven", and so on and so forth.

We could surely argue if religion is ! inherently ! bad. But matter of fact, as people put "this life" aside, and indulge in massive delusions rather than exercising common sense, it fucks everything up. Which is sadly but true a fact. See the world today, even right before our doorsteps.

The truth is that if the abrahamic faith was that great, why didn't the middle east flourish ? Why is the middle east - beside some rare sites that got rich due to oil wealth and the like - still the same pile of shit it was 1000 years ago ?

Infact, the reason of the decline IS the abrahamic faith, because it placed something above oneself, the country and - if you don't want to be a nationalist - your tribe and family.

After all "in the end we'll be cool" right ?

The problem is that liberals loathe or mock the Ten Commandments, and yet they spend all their time coming up with their own secular "commandments" and trying to censor the speech of others. Fears of being labeled "racist" have led to all kinds of migrant crime in Europe. Back in the olden days, if you called a Chrisitian "racist", they could probably respond that there is no commandment against racism, and men are subject to God, not the opinions of other men.

As for the rise of political correctness, see:

If there is a God, then anything is permitted by Slavoj Zizek in 2012
abc.net.au/religion/articles/2012/04/17/3478816.htm
>much more appropriate description of the atheist liberal/hedonist behaviour: they dedicate their life to the pursuit of pleasures, but since there is no external authority which would guarantee them personal space for this pursuit, they get entangled in a thick network of self-imposed "Politically Correct" regulations, as if they are answerable to a superego far more severe than that of the traditional morality. They thus become obsessed with the concern that, in pursuing their pleasures, they may violate the space of others, and so regulate their behaviour by adopting detailed prescriptions about how to avoid "harassing" others, along with the no less complex regime of the care-of-the-self (physical fitness, health food, spiritual relaxation, and so on).

>Today, nothing is more oppressive and regulated than being a simple hedonist.