When is China going to give up on their hopelessly outdated bronze age writing system and adopt an alphabet...

When is China going to give up on their hopelessly outdated bronze age writing system and adopt an alphabet? As if having 4000 characters instead of 26 (or 52, if you insist on counting capitals as separate characters) wasn't bad enough, their language has no hierarchical order, as alphabets do, do it's damn near impossible to organize a dictionary or phonebook in Chinese.

ㄌㄧㄝˋ ㄧㄥ ㄊㄧㄥ ㄅㄨˋ ㄉㄠˋ ㄌㄧㄝˋ ㄖㄣˊ

>Michael J. Fox writes Mandarin

GTFO....now.

>GTFO

git gud 鬼佬

I call it nigger repellent
So, never?

ooh embarrassing

>it's damn near impossible to organize a dictionary
>a dictionary
>in 2017
just get an OCR app. The language itself is fine. the lower classes shouldnt be able to read anyway

>Implying the radicals dont mean anything

They do you fucking retard; it's called Pinyin.

>the lower classes shouldnt be able to read anyway

Australia (was) a classless society before poo in loo ;^)

>ㄅㄚˇ ㄧㄝˊ ㄙㄨ ㄐㄧ ㄉㄨ ㄈㄤˋ ㄗㄞˋ ㄕㄤˋ ㄍㄨㄣˋ ㄗˇ

I know that, but they haven't fully switched over to it. They continue to use their damn moonspeak glyphs.
>there are still many characters with a given stroke count under a given radical. At this point, characters are not given in any recognizable order; the user must locate the character by going through all the characters with that stroke count
>dictionaries often include a list of hard to locate characters, indexed by total stroke count, near the beginning of the dictionary. Some dictionaries include almost one-seventh of all characters in this list
Doesn't sound very efficient to me.

>implying guards didnt think convicts were scum of the earth
>implying european immigrants didnt look down on aussies
the whole no class thing is a myth

in china, people who speak different dialects can all understand the same writing. would not be possible with a phonic alphabet system. This is probably why China has been more unified throughout history than places that use alphabet system like Europe or India.

Oh im not denying that its complicated. Thats for sure. But the fact that theyre just random symbols is just wrong.

>this assblasted that 1 million chinks are holding onto their culture

shoo fellow burger

1billion*

Beautiful now get out sage

There's no "switching" in progress. Pinyin is a tool to allow westerners to more easily type using QWERTY keyboards and to learn the language/characters. Actual Chinese don't use it much at all.

>muh culture
Using leeches for medicine was once part of our culture, but we gave it up because it was stupid and didn't work.
This is the first good argument for logographic writing I've heard. It may have been important historically, but nowadays, most Chinese people speak Mandarin anyway.

They aren't random symbols. They were originally pictographs. The symbols morphed over time.

Which proves my point even further. The chinks need to get with the program and use the damn Latin alphabet. Turks did it. They can too.

Never.

The Chinese writing system can compress more knowlege and information on a single page of paper than any other.

science =/= culture though?

>I know that, but they haven't fully switched over to it. They continue to use their damn moonspeak glyphs.

The glyphs are used by 20 mutually not understandable languages to communicate with - Japanese can read mandarin and understand it, they can not speak it. Pinyin is for foreigners, not for Chinese.

Burgers should adopt metric system first, what the fuck is pound and gallon

china's fifth great invention

Of course it does. Writing systems were made for man, and not man for writing systems. Using an obsolete system because of muh culture is blind atavism.
Hey, we're working it on. We already have liquor in metric sizes.

习惯成自然

But the Turks had the incentive of becoming more westernized under Atatürk, the Chinese do not.

Yea but the problem is there won't really be a way for the latin alphabet or anything similar to completely mirror their current system. It's like asking spanish speakers to get rid of all their weird accents and shit too. Tbh, translation tech is getting better and it's never been easier to learn another language. I personally like the variety that languages have to offer, but I think you're just being lazy user.

When working with science and fields of that nature, metric is used. Our rulers and whatnot have markings for mm/cm.

拉丁文都变死语言了还想让我们几千年用下来的象形文字变成字母,搞笑死

because it's easier transition from one alphabet system to another alphabet system you retard

this is a non-argument. more characters means more time taken to decipher each character meaning. there is no language that is any faster than the others, chinese is just more bullshit than all other languages because of it's logographic nature.

你们是真的中国人或者些留学生?

>或者
还是,对不起

Yea i said they werent random symbols which is what OP kinda was implying.

我是中国人,他应该也是

gib all your land to taiwan

谢谢。我有一个问题:中国有些网站像Sup Forums吗?

Chinese use pinyin to learn pronunciation of characters, and also as an input for computers. Taiwanese use Zhuyin (Bopomofo) system, a different type of glyph to represent the sounds of Chinese.
Many younger mainland Chinese are not very literate when it comes to complex characters and resort to pinyin in that case...

文字跟語言有什麼關係?韓國,日本,越南,當年都寫漢字,現在用別的字母。還保存他們的語言與文化。
而且,你們老毛是想要用拼音,捨棄漢字。

no way

客气,匿名的有a岛,不匿名的可能贴吧比较像吧

Mandarin is awesome, most of the '4000' characters aren't used much or are archaic. If you are fluent it's way quicker to read and the grammar is much less confusing than bullshit English with no rules..

yes, gibs us back the mainland.

>Many younger mainland Chinese
Actually I've met educated Chinese people living here who were unable to write even common characters like "瓶" or "睡" in "睡觉" in my presence.

When the DNC faces justice for the murder of Seth Rich

You have to go back.

Fuck you uncultured EOP, the kanji are beautiful and the best anti-Normie barrier.

I'm not at all surprised. Victor Mair blogs every day about this kind of thing (Language Log blog). But that old codger actually approves of Mao's attempt to ditch characters entirely...

Meanwhile in China

"The hawk cannot hear the hunter."?

What is the Aussie trying to say!?!

不管匿名的或者不匿名的。因为我的汉语不太好,所以我需要些网站像reddit/Sup Forums/dvach等等。

>Victor Mair blogs
Interesting, I didn't know about this blog, actually there is some yestarday's entry about that "白左“ someone was spamming here last week.

Never. The Japanese tried it, and now they have fucking 4 different alphabets, all of which they have to know.

Chinese language cannot be effectively interpreted by an alphabet, and using hieroglyphs is more difficult to muster but isn't any less efficient to use.

Yeah, no.

he's a famous scholar though past it now. good for classical studies, a bit of a dick for modern stuff. his blog's decent, though one or 2 SJW-typ contributors. Mair's cantankerous humour is worth it though even if one disagrees with a lot of what he says.

>文字跟語言有什麼關係?
现在有几个看得懂拉丁文说的了拉丁语的呢?基本都没有了所以称作为死语言,称为死文字也可以
>韓國,日本,越南,當年都寫漢字,現在用別的字母。
所以你的意思是中国现在要学习周边国家的做法?但是汉语已经是联合国官方语言了
>你們老毛是想要用拼音
所以中国要百分百听从老毛的指挥吗?他早死了啊亲

first you need to send Tsai english here and take it ;^)

一般的中国论坛都是网络语多,要学汉语的话去像“知乎”这样的网站可能会更有帮助

非常感谢你的回答!

>4000
That's just the most common ones.
There's 50000 or more in total.

It's more like 200 in combinations to make 50000 characters ( but you really only need 5000-6000+ )

It's integral to Japanese too. Neither of them will replace their writing system with romaji.

Taiwan is NOT China.

Tibet is NOT China.

Ching chong ling long ting tong

You are confusing language with alphabet, John Chinaman. I don't think you understand what is being discussed here. Many languages now use the Latin alphabet, without speaking Latin, but the letters are still in use. Koreans and Vietnamese no longer use Chinese characters except in special circumstances: their languages are still in use. See the difference?

Some scholars (e.g. Victor Mair, you can check) advocate using the Latin alphabet for Chinese for greater literacy. Many Chinese - especially Communist thinkers - also hold this view.

For my part, I do not suggest that the Chinese (or anyone who wants to learn Chinese for that matter) abandon Chinese characters for pinyin. On the contrary, I think they ought to be preserved. And certainly not because of some b/s UN resolution, how stupid can one get?

Look at you, typing in plebeian simplified characters. Learn proper Chinese and come back to us for this discussion, thanks.

Also, leave your braindead patriotic nonsense at the door, you make the dumbest Murka Furst 4Channers look positively intelligent in comparison.

Do you guys use the traditional or simplified characters in Hong Kong?

firewall where

I that it would be possible in Japanese, Korean has a verysimilar structure and they managed to develop a fully phonetical writing, but in Chinese it may be harder, not impossible, since Vietnamese managed to do it too, but definitely harder. On the other hand, Hanzi are definitely beautiful and for many people it's one of the most alluring features of Chinese.

This.

There are courses they can take for Hanja or 漢字

A 1000 character text in Japanese would become 1500-2000 character text if you removed all the Chinese characters.

they use it all the time on their phones dumbass

Holy shit...

It's like Chinks love to torture their brain for no reason.

Yes, on the other hand you would automatically remove all potential cofusion with those on-yomi/kun-yomi readings, like in Korean when they simply write "in" or "saram" phonetically instead of "人". But, in fact, I'm not arguing with you. People complaining about Hanzi/Kanji/Hancha are similar to those foreigners who complain about my native orthography, while we use it efficiently since the Renaissance. If anything, it's the English writing system that needs some reform.

Unicode 9.0, Unicode defines a total of 80,388 CJK Unified Ideographs...

You can always learn simple Chinese.

>frustrated cumskin struggling to read Chinese
Git gud

oh hello there Chinada

>Many languages now use the Latin alphabet
how many people can read poems written in ancient latin alphabet? how many chinese can read poems written in chinese alphabet? Chinese literature is about passing down to future generations, but I don't think you can understand since your """countryman""" have been very progressive absorbing western values
>typing in plebeian simplified characters
ugh proud of yourself typing traditional chinese on a mongolian imageboard? Is that tradional chinese in OP's pic? what kind of social rejects call other anons 4chinner? I bet you voted for Tsai english to make Taiwan great again, amirite?

>80388
Holy shit that's a lot of characters.

WW2/731 happened before the internet. Why use simplified? It's not even Chinese.

Real talk chinks and japs are retarded and a decent portion of that has to do with their languages. Wonky fucking grammar and word order fucks up their interpretation of cause and effect, and these complex scripts actually are complex, resulting in much of theitr reading population being fucked autistic trying to decypher meaning or which character may have been used to write a spoken word heard in conversation.

The absolute shittest tier languages.

This language looks fucking retarded.

Is Mandarin an idiot filter because I cant learn it at all.

let this proud taiwan user educate you the difference between language and alphabet, I have to go to sleep nao

>checks flag
Ofcourse
Kanada je mila maca za ove idiote

the koreans did

Too many homophones and not enough sounds and words constantly sound the same. Context clues play a big part in understanding what words a being spoken. That's why the government didn't continue to push pinyin as a way to replace characters and just used it as a learning tool and help for foreigners. Actually learn some of the language and you will see why. Some faggots just want to complain about everything

traditional in HK

Thanks for proving my point, you illiterate fool: the alphabet *is not* the language.

You are also quite presumptuous. I do not vote in elections, no more than you do , for that matter. On principle, though. You have little choice.

I have a question for all the Chinese here: is Regular Script the only script normally used in everyday life?

So taiwanese empire when?

When is Sup Forumstard going to give up on hopelessly outdated shitposts about China? Never, right?

我肏你娘老雞巴!鬼佬賤畜劣等種!你看不懂你就全家死光!

why is your language named after a fruit?

And now they even have problems to read their own history records directly, including their ancestors' names, since they're all written in Chinese.

To me, Chinese is a written language.
Mandarin and Cantonese etc are spoken languages.

So I guess there is only one "script"? Unless simple Chinese is a kind of "script".

well the historians can read it and yes, thts the tradeoff for using a more efficient and less bulky system i suppose.

the average european prob cant read his own country's history either desu.