Why have we stopped building works of art? You will never find anything like this in a modern city today

Why have we stopped building works of art? You will never find anything like this in a modern city today.

Cost

Because according to postmodernism this is considered aesthetic

Because artistic movements come and go and if we stuck to one style for as long as that fountain has been around there would be nothing interesting about it because they would be everywhere. It would not be special. In a few centuries they'll pick the 'best' works of the this era and bitch about how its not like that anymore.

But the skill it takes in op's pic is unbelievable. That's the beauty of it.

Interestingly enough, the guy who used to own virgin airlines offered $10,000,000 dollars to any sculptor or team of sculptors who could create for him a modern day version of essentially what you posted in your pic for his san diego offices.

He let the ad run for about a year in 2012. Only 9 sculptors even applied, and none, i repeat, none of them could do the work.

This was actually picked up by the media and the conclusion of smithsonian art researchers was this:

There is no one with the skill set to do it, today. Anywhere.

Essentially, everyone in the sculpting industry assumed there were greco-roman classical sculptors working and honing the craft. Turns out there weren't. Since then, sculptors have began to practice the type of art in your pic...but it takes an incredibly long amount of time, and money, to get to that level of skill without anyone alive to teach you, learning only through textbooks.

this.
its all about showing off and today no rich will spend money to show off to the lower classes, especially since there would be a lot of complaining on what the money could be spent on instead

>we

>usa building art

lel

I doubt there's anybody alive who could even come close to recreating such a thing.

See

ENOUGH!

Because its too expensive. People actually had actually wealth back when that was built. Today all nations are in debt to the trillions. We aren't wealthy. We live in a false illusion of wealth. If enough people recognised the lies we are fed and stopped bank bailouts and insisted that our governments operate in positive value (not debt) or lose their mandate to rule, we can accrue wealth and afford such works of art.

But I for one am surrounded by fucking dumb fuking cunts

capitalism worships money and gaudy worthless displays over actual art

See

I'm going to dedicate my life to being a sculptor and make the next big piece that everyone will take pictures with hundreds of years from now

We have computers for that. You could literally 3d print a replicated copy of anything posted itt. Computer prorams can write classical compostions that can fool the most educated, cultured and accomplished professors in the world. Technical ability means nothing now, get that through your heads

Just remember to HAVE APPRENTICES.

Or else we go back to step one. Good luck!

I feel like people could only achieve such things because there was nothing to distract them. No fucking cell phone to look at, no movie to watch for 2 hours, no days spent shitpostinf and playing vidya. Just boredom and solitude, nothing better to do than go sculpt some shit in the shed all day.

You're delusional. Invent the 3d printer that prints in marble, though, and get back to us.

Nigger you can't even 3d print an anime figurine

No there definitely are people who could still do it but the world has moved on from this style. There are people who make full sized copies of Michelangelo's David out of marble, they definitely have the skill but that isn't what society aims for anymore. It is beautiful and iconic but that doesn't mean we should stick to that style forever and just riff of it when we want something to look pretty. Art has to change and grow and explore, even the Trevi Fountain is the result of a change in artistic style that only a few centuries before would have been considered blasphemous because of its depiction of Neptune and other figures from Roman and Greek mythology. Maybe what we get now isn't as beautiful but it could be a stepping stone to the next artistic movement that you could fall in love with. I get loving a particular art style more than others, I tend to like Romanticism more than anything else, but I don't think any art style, even postmodernism is pointless.

Hideous.

You might be on to something

My city has this lovely cactus for some reason. Isn't it magnificent or something?

not all is lost though
I think the best sculptor that ever lived might be alive today
Ron Mueck can revitalize a neo-classical era of art if we would just give him the attention
the problem is the art establishment and it's state backers are hell bent on using "art" to push postmodernism for political means
this means pushing people like Mueck out of the frame

>Computer prorams can write classical compostions that can fool the most educated, cultured and accomplished professors in the world
We aren't at that level. I'd really like to know your source.

Personally I don't enjoy the smell of shit just because it may lead to a fart

I enjoy how they don't actually go into the ground but just sort of bob there on the surface

Call up richard branson and tell him who these sculptors who can do the work are, because apparently they had no idea what he was willing to pay, and neither he, nor the smithsonian, could find anyone to do it either.

Kinda creepy it's made of Aztec temple.

capitalism worships whatever is in demand
most public art is state sponsored because the general public would never pay for it
especially this postmodernist crap

Because we aren't living in ancient times anymore. Industrial revolution brought a new style - modernism

Modernism wasn't brought to you by jews, but it was a product of our rationalist calculative times, which required functional spaces for newly baked middle classes, which capitalism enabled to climb the social ladder. In the old times there was no need for practicality because most of plebs were toiling serfs living in wooden huts, grandiose buildings were for kangz only and his associates. This time it was plebs coming from rural areas finding jobs in industry that required architecture to change it's functionality, to become easier to build, cleaner, clearer, and functional as possible. Capitalism fundamentally changed society - architecture followed.

Building a classicist temple with ornaments would be out of tune - pure kitsch with no basis in contemporary reality - larping as high art, produced for mass consumption, because muh prettiness.

Philistines gas yourselves.

No, you're not on to anything. People weren't bored back then, they were busy as shit. Being an artist was still a job, they didn't just do whatever they wanted. Works were commissioned by Nobles or the Church and you had a schedule. Just look at the Sistine Chapel, that fucking wreaked havoc on Michelangelo's body. At most some artists got to make a few works they really wanted but things like the Trevi Fountain take years of a person's life and it involves dozens and sometimes hundreds of people and constantly hearing criticism by the people who payed for it.

You are just making shit up, you have no idea what you are talking about. Get your revisionist history trolling out of here you basement dwelling faggot

actually he's completely correct

>intricate and delicate works take time, skill and sacrifice at time
>making shit up
I don't think you understand how literally anything works.
Are you retarded? This isn't a joke, I'm seriously asking.

Let me answer that question for you, OP, since i actually live in Italy and know what the fuck i'm talking about.
First of all, you need to define art, as classical music is still big nowadays because of the great music compendiums most music geniuses wrote down in their lifetimes, like The Well-Tempered Clavier by Bach and many others.
Now, sculpture is something completely different, as mentioned in the thread already, very few classical sculptors left notes and books about their art, classical sculpting is something that was done mainly on talent rather than guidelines, and most techniques and works were taught father to son, every single time, especially if there was talent, history is full of failed sculptors that quickly got forgotten because of their lack of skills.
Most works you see nowadays are either replicas or things that belong in a museum.
Very few artists in the world are capable of reproducing the gloriousness of the old italian masters like Michelangelo or Donatello.
Painting has been made irrelevant by photography, it has reached abstract levels so high that realism and impressionism, the last two bastions of painting itself have collapsed and been completely replaced by photos.
Now architecture, that's a though one, since i can speak with an actual voice in matter, as my father is an architect and i'm studying architecture as well.
Architecture is simply outdated.
We know better ways to build literally everything, Modernism brought a complete revamp of every single piece of architecture, we know how to build way taller buildings, bigger, better and more economical.
There is no reason to stick to 800 years old architecture rules when we have better ones.
You need to understand that Architecture itself was never meant to be an art, the actual aesthetic look of a building is dictated by sculpting, not by architecture, architecture itself is about building things that don't crumble, that are operational and can be reproduced easily.

Good job using a vpn to reply to your own posts, bitch. Pathetic.

You're either a really bad troll, or you're severely autistic. Ironic that you are asking me if I'm retarded. Get the fuck out xD

didn't you know Sup Forums is one person?

Shadilay.

capitalism. aesthetics don't (((profit)))

You might be on to something

that explains why the 2nd world is a cultural utopia
why don't you go bitch on twitter
#resistcapitalism

Yes you will

not true faggot. Computers simply can't compete with humans.

i'm not against capitalism. I'm just saying that pointless work doesn't fit it's narrative.

There's a good quote about artists losing drawing skills because all modern art students today are wealthy narcissists whose "art" is about venerating themselves. In most modern art the artist is the piece.

Because having the skill to do something like that takes enormous work and a lifetime of dedication, as well as intense guidance from someone who was a master of that craft.

Artists today aren't interested in that. They're more interested in minimum effort for maximum gain. That's why a neon sign that says "five words in orange neon" is hanging in a mueseum now-a-days.

For us. But people have been doing this before Christmas.
Google handcrafted marble statues.

now "art" is giant butt plugs.

This example is built by the Catholic church which is supported by Christians all over the world. Italian Rome is poor af.

This is a sculpture from 2013

If you look at the ancient Greek pottery, you can clearly see the rise and fall of the civilisation. The more the greek civilisation tends to the end, the more the paintings were ugly and not well made. Just compare something drom 500bc to another thing from 100bc.

My point is : we are falling, the epitome of our civilisation is past

They tried too hard on the veiling effect, looks crap.

Its never stopped. People just don't have a boner for it because it's not historical. If I told you that your pic was built in 2011 by a corporation you wouldn't give a fuck.

Because it's a waste of time and money to make something inefficient like the old Penn station.

its time. everything is so fast now. hundreds of years ago all people had was time and it was common for artists to take several years to complete a single piece. resources were harder to come by so thats why they could turn a rock into beautiful sculptures. nowadays we have all the resources you can imagine so now its about {{{[[[((("creativity")))}}}]]]

Because it is a cultural manifestation of an independent ethnic group, in this case European. This cannot be allowed, the mongrel bee-goyim are to toil and reap, not think. Knowledge is power, no one makes it because no one has the skill to jist knowledge has been successfully cleansed, and high culture is only for tribes that are allowed to possess high culture, and the only tribe that will be allowed to exist separate from "Man' will be the eternal Jew.

Mediocre

>i'm studying architecture as well.
>You need to understand that Architecture itself was never meant to be an art

Fucking kill yourself faggot. Architecture was an art and is still (((art))) today. It's just that all rules that used to make buildings esthetic are now abolished, thanks to idiots like you who can't do anything more complex than draw a couple of lines on a paper and call it a building.
And these buildings are more costly than ever, so fuck off with the price argument.
Pic related is art wether you like it or not.

the Irish used all the good marble - no more left

commies infiltrated the universities

Does anyone in Russia want the Soviet Union and communism to rise again?

Pasta Negro coming to help you sorting this out burger bro

firs of All that ain't no building but a fountain

2) Marble is extremely expensive, we use it nowadays to cover less expensive materials rather than literally using massive blocks as construction material (mind that even romans were used to cover opus with travertine)

3) when you try nowadays to replicate classical art you end up with Disney tier or even worst Fake-looking stuff: look at your "capitolium" and shiet, they look garbage designed by some autismo concrete blue collar

4) the overall aesthetic appreciation after decades of sex and the city related propaganda gas switched toward "muh glass and steel skycrapers" rather than unifying funzionality and beauty like it had always been done for millenia

5) kikes and kikes: they maxime profits and perfectly know concrete has a maximum duration of 200 years before becoming unsafe: they are not building to make Their family name Ethernal like those whom commissioned that fountain

I am with this frog

architecture is the artform disrespected most these days

We get temporary installations every year instead.

They're not as nice tbqh.

Pic related - Next week. I'll go, but I probably won't be able to see anything because of all the chinks.

Also, either your definition of work of art is the one of a peasant or you haven't studied any aesthetic philosophy

What makes a work of art a work of art is the intention of the creator for his creation to be evaluated as art.

What makes something a work of art isn't objective: there are no rules about beauty, proportion or whatever, the point is that everytime you'll see some art you like you Will try to objectively explain Why that is good art, but every aesthetic appreciation is inherently subjective, and you cannot let go "aesthetic predicates" without compromising the appreciation itself.

t. Gerard Genette

>frog
>with every pièce of art in his country he choose the faggot steel and glass liberty bourgeois one
That's how you make it clear you Are a middle classe peasant perverted by middle class bourgeois taste
Kys

People don't specialize in this art style anymore.

A way to compensate for that is scale.

Scale and technology have replaced the intricacies of this art.

For this reason, modern societies tended to pride themselves on the craftsmanship and difficulty of their buildings.

Hitler had a huge boner for rebuilding Germany with buildings that looked like the ancient European standards, but at scales the size of the buildings in New York.

Now...look around at Western countries? Notice that we don't see many really grand modern infrastructure being built? Even though this is the modern demonstration of a vibrant, ascending civilization?

Where DO we see this sort of stuff?

Well...pic related. China. Even with the slow down, weirdo shit like this is being thrown up all over their country right now at a rapid rate.

>Blahblabla there are no rules whatsoever and anything can be art if I want it to.
Fuck you nigger, this reasoning is exactly what killed art a century ago. What a fucking shame for an italian to say bullshit like this. I whish you fuckers weren't the ones to seat on the roman legacy.
Also you have absolute shit taste if you can't appreciate Art déco glory.

>so fuck off with the price argument.
This.

From what I remember, putting a few metal objects into the ground with a weird shape (aka progressive '''''art''''''') costs millions these days

Jews

jews