Arctic stronghold of world’s seeds flooded after permafrost melts

theguardian.com/environment/2017/may/19/arctic-stronghold-of-worlds-seeds-flooded-after-permafrost-melts

youtube.com/watch?v=2_OEsf-1qgY

That's it. Millions of dollars wasted. We are all fucked.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VTUrdizRZyw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Oh let's put a seed back in an uninhabitable, frozen wasteland. That's way better than America having a private one in an undisclosed location. Let's share it with inferior countries.

at least they didn't lose any seeds

Well now when the earth warms up the seeds will be ready to germinate on the spot.

Norwegian """"""""""engineering""""""""""

>No seeds were lost but the ability of the rock vault to provide failsafe protection against all disasters is now threatened by climate change
>REEEEEE about climate change like complete fags
>build a vault that isn't even equipped to handle climate change
Sciencecucks everyone.

should have stored it in the desert

nothing happens in deserts

But I thought we already had computers that saved backup files of all the gene codes?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

>all hopes in dreams of humanity
>flooded

btw how does monsanto feel about people having seeds?

So it's a fucking liberal scam to make money on retarded ideological project that can't possibly work?

hmm so they don't consider climate change a disaster

No, it was intentional.

They figured they'd already have the genetic codes in the database and the whole """"vault""" was just to separate the normies from the elites.

I wasn't sure before but now I think I should completely trust these people when they talk about climate change, they seem to know what they're doing.

This vault is supposed to survive a fucking apocalyptic scenario, and they didn't even make it fucking waterproof? That shit should be fucking airtight.

That seems like a really bad omen...

>nothing happens in deserts
holy shit you're right
deserts are lazy

It seems like the arcitects of an Armageddon seed vault, intended to survive pretty much any doomsday scenario (or at least one where there could still potentially be some human survivors), really should've anticipated that permafrost might not be so "perma" after all.

Also, how the hell is that seed vault not watertight?

Plus, yeah, it really should've been built in a mountain or a desert, somewhere high and dry even in a total glacial minimum scenario.

>Everybody freaking out because some shitily designed Norwegian bunker flooded

Who gives a fuck, if shit really hits the fan having some seeds in a vault in the arctic isn't gonna save anyone.

Nothing prevents America from doing that. In fact, you may be doing just that, in which case they would probably not even mention that it actually exists. The Svalbard seed vault is just one of many seed vaults. Also, it wasn't built by you, it was built by the Norwegian government. You're just tagging along for the ride, so I'm guessing you're one of the inferior countries that they're sharing it with?

Are you that one swede who keeps going hard, or are there more than one of you? Also no numbers can go unchecked.

this really catalyzes my nigger toes

OH MY GOD ARE THERE ANY SEEDS LEFT

HOW WILL WE GROW OUR CROPS

>Are you that one swede
PewDiePie browses Sup Forums.
Just saying.

If you know anything about DUMBs then you know there are probably multiple facilities that do this on some level. we have entire corn growing facilities underground, we'll be fine

We sow the seed.

Nature grows the seed.

Then.. we.. EAT. THE. SEED.

this

>Millions of dollars wasted
Of hippies money.

Whole point is to keep them frozen; would take more energy to maintain in a desert.

the seed vault is on an uninhabitable frozen wasteland on purpose: it doesn't need any refrigeration so the seeds would survive unspoiled even if an apocalyptic event that wiped out mankind

not the case anymore due to global warming

try using your little peanut brain next time

THERE WON'T BE NO MORE NIGGER TOES WHEN WE'RE DONE WITH THIS SEED VAULT

RACIST

This is the seed bank wikileaks tweeted a picture of when they were doing those 'what is vault 7' 'where is vault 7' posts

Even Best Korea has some fucking seeds stored there.

>would survive unspoiled even if an apocalyptic event that wiped out mankind

>not the case anymore due to global warming

so it would survive any apocalyptic event except global warming, which also the same thing?

Then why not just hide them in a sattelite? It would be easier and seeds weigh like nothing so it would cost anything.

>the seed vault is on an uninhabitable frozen wasteland on purpose: it doesn't need any refrigeration
I store my boots in the Sahara so they'll never get wet

WELL THANKS RIGHT WINGERS FOR GLOBAL WARMING.

Maybe because of huge solar radiation?

HOW AM I GOING TO PLANT MY POTATOES

WHERE ARE THE PLATSKI GOING TO COME FROM NOW

>build vault designed to survive anything
>bury it in snow
>snow gets inside
>obviously this is GLOBAL WARMING

Its almost time for Sup Forums to claim the arctic as Kekistan.

We have the seeds, all we need to do is till the fields and build from there.

Interestingly, there was a Russian experiment to find out of Rabbits could ovulate in space.

What the fuck Norway.

YOU HAD ONE JOB.

Collect oilbucks and protect our seeds you snowniggers. In return we wouldn't make fun of you like we do to Sweden. You fix it RIGHT NOW

Melting Permafrost

>It's right on the coast

Fucking lol why the hell wouldn't you put it somewhere just in the middle of nowhere where shit couldn't happen to it?

Like I recall reading that they said the most "stable" place in the world geographically is around Mt. Rushmore, that sort of region. You don't have to put it right there, but why not a place which is more future proof?

Maybe because of how expensive it would be and the possibility of satellite collision idk

>millions of dollars and these retarded snowniggers keep the seeds in carton boxes.

You could stuff a few packets in each telecom one for less than the cost of extra circuit boards and necessary radiation shielding to keep the electronics working.

You could probably put seeds on the moon, assuming the moon landing was real.

Total weight wouldn't be too much, but the total space would be a lot. It'll be an entire space station full of boxes of seeds, and even then there will be troubles like micrometeorites hitting the station, radiation, need to repair things that stop working from wear.
It's too expensive for too little of a gain. They're more likely to burn in the atmosphere because the space station went off the orbit than they are to get damaged in the icy vault.

the whole thing seems to me more of a pr thing instead of a seriously planned project

>not the case anymore due to global warming

>WE NEED TO BUILD A VAULT TO PROTECT THESE SEEDS FROM NATURAL OR MAN-MADE CATASTROPHIES!
>Oh but not global warming though, that shit's gonna just blow over :)

Fucking retards. It's like building a nuclear fallout shelter that can survive fires, floods, earthquakes and tornadoes, but absorbs radiation like a sponge in water.

>supposed to withstand world end scenario
>gets flooded

They can make GPS work.

So instead they put the seeds in one famous box in Norway that fails? I don't think so, Tim.

its a scam, like the mars one thing a few years back

This has to be fake. No way engineers are stupid enough to remember that ice melts

>The globalist apocalypse vault didn't take global warming into account
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

It's a bank you fucking idiot. Countries put their seeds there to save them if the plant goes extinct, it has nothing to do with your arrogant ass country sharing anything.

nah

Don't forget that this proves global warming. Al Gore said so, but you didn't listen.

I'll do the logo.

Timeless wonder of it all.

>Melting Permafrost

It's almost like, in the event of global catastrophy, that you can't rely on shit to stay the fucking same. Especially when they've been pissing and moaning about the earth heating up for decades. Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking? That ice won't melt even if the planet gets hotter?

"Nah fuck mate, we're up to our tits in new water levels, and I'm in me fucking speedos in winter, but that permafrost! Boy that fuckin' permafrost! That shit will still be fuckin' icy as even when the sun goes supernova!"

Fucking Scandinavians. The dumbest fucking people. Goddamn ice niggers.

Al Gore said it would be an apocalypse by now but these people were confident enough to build a fucking apocalypse vault in the ice. Really makes you think

Hey idiots.
In case of Apocalypse how the fuck are human apes supposed to go to space to get those seeds?

ITT: warmtards humiliate themselves for literally no reason at all

dailycaller.com/2017/05/20/liberal-journos-uncritically-echo-reports-global-warming-flooded-the-world-doomsday-vault/

>puts it in a location where if the ice ever melts, it's worthless
>puts the backup in SYRIA

some real brains behind this idea

I'm so sorry polan cannot into space :(

Human apes would shove the seeds up each other's assholes. They aren't any use to mongoloids.

They might as well have shoved them up each other's arseholes, because they're in the shit now anyway.

And how the fuck human apes would be able to recover seeds from a frozen wasteland and get back to a warm region in which the soil and climate is suitable for planting?
I am willing to bet the future sami niggers would eat the seeds and burn the boxes.

>build a snow fortress
>it isn't snow proof

Thought this is one of the old vault 7 wikileaks threads. what happened to that bullshit anyways?

The idea is that once they rediscover sail they would eventually find it. The assumption is that the explorers are white of course. It takes a long time between discovering sail and coal and space travel.

>tfw niggers still can't build boats

...because it would be total child's play for the wizards studying the lost lore of the ancients to pop on up to the sky temple high above their new Dark Age and withdraw the precious sample of extinct plants. I mean, they are wizards, right? Plus, they will totally have records of how we build space shuttles, so they can just whip up an orbital launch and landing vehicle. I mean Zehphram Cochrane did it.

Maybe you missed the point of making a "no maintenance" "apocalypse proof" time capsule of viable plant samples.

Its just global warming propaganda.
Muh seeds are fine.

>No seeds were lost

Couldn't they just keep massive quantities of seeds in a regular bank or a storage house? Why the fuck would they build it in such a far away place.

>engineers

in case you missed it 5 minutes ago:

- the vault did not flood. there was unusual ice accumulation.
- nothing unusual happened. water enters the vault every year.
- neither this event nor the usual events are attributed to weather.
- the designers remain certain that the vault cannot flood.
- no seeds were lost. massive floods orders of magnitude worse do not threaten the seeds.

OP's article was a particularly potent example of the media openly and directly lying to you.

>there is only one gene bank on earth

> be me, NEETWAY
> build a snow fortress with UN bux
> it's actually made from the cheapest concrete and snow
>mfw I tell the slave wagies the result of my devilish plan

youtube.com/watch?v=VTUrdizRZyw

>meant to survive 6 gorillion years
>flooded immediately.

If true than lol

Wasn't this thing supposed to survive a nuclear holocaust?

But the Earth is known to get disrupted by any variety of historical measurements or even inferences like the drawf star coming in to a swing about the sun.

Meanwhile we just design better cell phones? Please.

it's literally fucking nothing.

READ
THE
FUCKING
ARTICLE

So now my torrents are filled with leechers. Fucking great.

Why don't you respect the fucking scientists, Sup Forums?

Seeing as it's managed by the Norwegian government and financed by them as well as research funding from other countries it would be more accurate to say it's oil money. What, did you think this multi-million dollar facility on a remote Island ran on donations?

I lost some of my seeds while observing the reaction of the Wolrd to this bait.

yes. the guardian is seriously just lying.

Norway should pay for more F-35s to protect the seeds.

A seed bank is worthless if the soil does not contain the bio-organic life forms that let the roots take nutrition from the soil.

>CropTrust
Sounds like a money laudering scam.

MUH SEEDS

Who gives a shit about some fucking seeds nigga, trees and flowers and shit give them off FOR FUCKING FREE, yall white people cry bout the dumbest shit ever I am telling you.

Building a storage place next to a river or sea, whatever the location is, seems fucking stupid

Dumb polak you can always trust trusts.

You know simply having the genome doesn't let to make viable cells out of nothing, yes?

>we want to build a massive vault
>what do you mean why? It's for uh .. seeds and what not
>builds it in the most far away inhospitable place they can think of
>if there is a catastrophe; no one will be able to reach it
>somehow preserves them

I wonder what is really happening in those massive tunnels. Mutants? Aliens?