Trade jobs

So I'm a young fag just about to graduate highschool. I've already been accepted to a college, if I go I'll be taking out a loan for a little more than 24k per year.

As of late, I'm considering a trade, welding specifically. Would this be a better move than (((college)))? What's a good way to go about learning welding, is Lincoln tech any good?

OP please don't take life advice from Sup Forums or any of Sup Forums for that matter.

Every poster on this site is another human being from a different background right?

This

I can't really say because I'm 18 years old as well hoping to get into computer science.

Look at the average success rate of a Sup Forums user, then reconsider this entire thread.

Most of Sup Forums is "muh intellect" NEETs

>24k per year

How does it cost this much? My total student debt ended up as 20k and I think that was too much. You'd better be going to a good school

>24k per year.

$100,000+ is a lot of money. What degree would you be trying to get?

If you really aren't sure what you want to do, you could always take a few classes at your local community college and try to find a job as an apprentice welder in the daytime.

Friend just got back from Lincoln and he just started an entry level position at a dealership and he's making more money than guys who have been there awhile, but he still has to pay off a huge loan and take out another soon for tools

>24k - per year
10k tuition
12k room and board
2600 other expenses
>average success rate of Sup Forums
Obviously everyone isn't some big shot Patrick Bateman, but at the same time everybody be ain't a bum
You can't measure the success rate of the avg Sup Forums user

if you go for welding and are any good at it you can make 65 per hr out of school and are guaranteed a job as soon as you graduate. good choice

>what degree do you plan on getting
Idk
t. Pic related
There's a Lincoln tech school about an hour away from me, I'm thinking of learning welding there

>12k room and board
for 5-6 months of actually living there?
kys

>I've already been accepted to a college, if I go I'll be taking out a loan for a little more than 24k per year.

You're not giving out enough info, with the right degree in a good school you're pretty much set for life. What careers, majors, schools do you have in mind?

Take this from someone who's worked with trademen, If you choose that route you make decent money after a many years, but you're trading many hours of your life away, and your health for it. And on top of that you'll still be considered under a graduate fresh out of college.

>kys
Considering it
>depends what degree you go in for
That's the problem, I don't know what degree I'd want to go in fir
I was looking into welding online, said it's 8-12 weeks training and a few exams to become certified
What trade are you in?

I'd say do it. Wear ear plugs and a respirator as much as you can. Learn to weld pipe, tig and stick. learn to fit. The money is there.

learn a tradeskill but don't fall for the welding jew lol

A college degree will take longer and is more expensive, however if you're smart enough to get a degree in something useful ( engineering, programming, or any other hard skill) it will pay better and give you more options than a trade skill like welding. You should be prepared to but in work though. Don't aim just to graduate with decent grades, invest time in personal projects to market yourself. I highly recommend a school with a strong co-op or internship program. It will help pay the loans and will set you up with job offers right out the gate.

If that's not for you a trade skill is a good choice. They pay well for the time and financial investment and provide you with a substantial edge over unskilled workers and liberal arts weenies. The downside is that you will be tied to that skill. If we end up not needing welders anymore (due to automation or outsourcing) that knowledge won't provide you a lot of flexibility.

The value of trade skills is often underestimated, and it's a better choice than college for many people, but be aware of the short comings.

Good luck buddy!

I would suggest the welding first.
Your obviously undecided about college which means youll likely take some Bullshit course and be left with a massive student loan.
vs
Working a blue collar job and get payed a decent wage and having little to no debt.
You will also get some real world experience which always helps.

You can always take a college course later if you dont like the welding.

>welding Jew
Please explain

Old fag here, if you do uni, join Rotc, and get it payed for do your time and cone out debt free with a resume.

If not, I suggest welding, electrical work, or plumbing. You can make bank at that if you have a work ethic.

Hoped that help

fpbp

I should mention I'm also very poor at mathematics
These were my thoughts

I wasn't in a trade but I worked offshore a bit, and I'm back in school studying computer science.
Don't go the trade route senpai, if you really don't know what you want to do, study accounting. You'll be making just as much as a tradie, if not more depending on where you work, and still live a comfy lifestyle.
Whats the name of the school you were accepted to? This is extremely important.

this is the only intelligent advice in this thread.

it's better to have certification in something more comprehensive, welders are stuck in a box and automation will wipe them out in our lifetime

commercial plumbing is a good bet, my neighbour has his own business with about 6 employees, has the nicest house on the block, fishing boat, truck, sportscar, etc

Welders are the niggers of the trades world. Become a plumber/electrician or Hvac. Carpenter is decent too but they make less $

>if you really don't know what you want to do, study accounting

Hey, that's what I'm going to do.

oh and he sends his kids to a 10k per year private school

Bruh I'm 33 and have been a year away from my AA forever now
As far as trade goes it depends. I went oil fields but that see's layoffs of half the labor force every few years. and people with mortgages and car payments and kids lose everything.

Personally I realize I need a career. trying to determine whats a good and easy degree to quickly get.

Anyone else ever think about just getting a Diploma from an online diploma mill? no idea if they still have any around though.

/thread

If you have even the slightest mechanical aptitude, RUN, don't walk into the nearest welding program available. It will be hard work and long days once you get certified, but you will have the potential to write your own ticket (with considerably less debt).

>Look at the average success rate of a Sup Forums user
something that nobody has any actual idea of

>name of school
Franklin Pierce uni

>worked off shore
Like on an oil rig?
>accounting job
I don't want to be stuck at a desk job, I'd want to do something tangible you know? or something like owning my own business

>he fell for the welding jew
kys

The comp sci meme is real.

You will never meet a sparky or a plumber out of work, they be the 2 things you can't so yourself when building a house

At least in aus that's how it goes, moneys pretty good even if you're just on the tools being a sub contractor. Start you're own business eventually and you'll be pretty happy

If I got into welding, I'd want to become a weld inspector
>welding gets BTFO by automation
How so?

we're on Sup Forums. cmon, buddy.

Take a fire department test. Been a fireman for 9 years. Great gig. I'll be 32 next month. I'll retire at 48.

>sparky
Is that an electrician you're talking about?

do you honestly believe that we will always need a human to weld shit?

Yeah electrician

Yyyyyyyyyep

I can't speak for Weldon but I went to a really expensive design school for a graphic design degree (pretty fake Jew job I know). It was a huge gamble desu, if I didn't get a good job I'd be fucked in the ass with crippling debt. I did get a good job though and now my life is comfy as fuck. I do work my ass off though. I'd say if you know what you want to do and it's a marketable skill and a good college then college can be great. Outside that I would recommend taking your time and carefully planning before taking out a loan. But take any advice you get on a Macedonian ant farming simulator with a grain of salt.

I'll second this. A lot of guys at my school did this and did well.

The only downside is the time cost. If you have what it takes to get a solid degree now, the two years spent learning a trade could have been spent in industry.

Don't get to bogged down on that though. It's a very reasonable choice.

lol

I have 2 years work experience in retail, no college, and I plan on joining the national guard later this year. Would you guys think this would be sufficient experience to become a law enforcement officer?

Well What do you mean automation will completely eliminate humans from welding jobs? Do you have any sources?
You work while you train when becoming an electrician correct?

Most plumbers can weld better than actual welders. That entire trade is just a meme for drug addicts

Don't take life advice from anyone or anywhere. Advice is for losers.

welding is good money, but don't make that your career

work welding for 5 years, a nice cushy union gig if you can land it, save up and then go to college

student loans are the ultimate power move from (((them))), avoid it like the plague

good luck and godspeed Mr. underageb&

>national guard into law enforcement
Yes that's a good path to go
>time cost
Can you elaborate in any way?

do the welding. i know a guy who went straight into a welding apprenticeship after high school. he now makes somewhere around 100k. no joke - apparently welding is in high demand

Yeah i was on a couple oil rigs
There's no reason you can't do something tangible or have your own business on the side while working any type of job that allows you the time when you're off. Try posting on /biz/ for a second opinion.

off all the trades welding is likely going to be the one fully automated in our lifetime.

Ask yourself what is more appealing for you to do for 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week? Do you like cars and metal and shit? Like building stuff? You said your gay does manhandling large greasy pipes all day sound appealing? Figure out what you might see yourself doing and go for it. Benefit of vocational schools (if you have money) is that if you fail or hate it, its not like tossing a 4 year degree out the window (which wasnt being used anyway lets be honest)

Do what you think youll love, stop asking other people to make that decision for you.

I have a friend that went into welding.

He was gone for months at a time with his contractor, they were building that "world's largest slide" in Kansas, the one that killed 3 people lel.

Yeah you work and learn at the same time, we go to tafe here during set intervals of the apprenticeship but most of the time you're learning from your boss or the other boys you work with who are more senior than you. Wages aren't great while you're an apprentice unless you're boss is amazing which sucked but was well worth it

Of course I don't have sources but given the rate at which technology is advancing do you think it will be very difficult to design an AI to weld bits of metal together?

Regardless, why the fuck would you learn ONE thing? Like I said, learn something comprehensive. Plumber can do anything related to plumbing. Electrician can do anything related to electrical. A welder can weld and that's it.

Actually one of the better calls there about welding being a one trick pony

>own your own business
The way I see it, I can't do that if I'm fucked with student loans, that's why I'm thinking of going into a trade

What's with the whole trade school meme? I got hired as an electrical apprentice and work full time and they pay for me to go to a class in the nigh time 6 months out of the year

Fuck spending money to learn shit that you ought to be learning on the job while getting paid anyway.

You make a good point
Sounds pretty good

I've never heard of that school. Their degree is not likely to be worth 100K. You said you're bad at math, that leaves out most of the best college majors.

It's easy to try accounting. Unlike say engineering, you start the professional courses in Financial, Managerial and Intermediate accounting in early years of school. Our community college has them. Go to CC and try them and see how you do, it's hard for most people. If you're bad at math you might have trouble with managerial accounting and finance.

Strongly recommend community college. The school you were admitted to is not special enough to spend more than CC rates for their credits.

m8 the school u were accepted to isn't a big name school, and there's no reason to attend it for the tuition it costs. If you go to a community college then transfer to a state school in 2 years you won't be fucked with student loans.

Everyone in this thread is asking shit questions, none of it matters. Don't go a trade. They are over saturated, it is back breaking work, and you will be looked down on in society. The pay isn't even good anymore unless you run your own business.

In b4 a bunch of larping tradecucks talk about how they fucked my wife while I was at work last week because seeing a guy plumb a toilet or crawl around in my 200 degree attic fixing my air conditioner gets their pussy so moist.

You sound like your in the same situation I was when I graduated.
Mind you I wasn't accepted into any colleges or anything like that but things are different here in leafland.
I liked working with my hands so I got hired by a local machine shop.
6 years later Im making decent buck, Got my big truck, got my lady in my life, and not a cent of debt.
Im thinking of getting training to be an Electrician though since I would get payed more but now I know to do that and how vs when I just graduated and barely knew how the world worked

Once you have a good degree the time you invest in working will yield greater pay. Your value will also increase with time invested working in your degreed field.

If you can start working in your industry two years earlier, you have an advantage in the long run. You will be able to, start a business or raise a family sooner.

It's not a terrible cost, and time spent learning a trade and doing blue collar work will have it's own advantages too.

If you do need time to grow you should take it and you will be better for it.

I went to a technical school doing industrial maintenance. I make $20.65 and have only been working here for the past 3 weeks. If you're great at math and love working with your hands I suggest it.

Speak for yourself, I'm an Electrician and I love it.

>As of late, I'm considering a trade, welding specifically. Would this be a better move than (((college)))?

if you do mexican work, you'll get mexian pay.
Don't believe the "college is useless" meme. Its only true for humanities.

My main goal is to have no debt and a decent job that's universally marketable. I'd like to have a family while I'm young and not be some sub human millennial that decides to settle down at 40

Blow me faggot. Automation is NEVER going to be the end-all-be-all that Silicon Valley keeps shilling for. The same thing was claimed for machine vision back in the 80's. And in the few applications where automation does make business sense, it's far easier to teach a welder to code than a coder to weld.
Seriously, stop relying solely on buzzwords and catchphrases and pull your head out of your ass!

why even reply when there is clearly "most" in my other post.
no one cares that you think you're special :')

Whatever you do OP, stay away from the drug scene, yes companies test prior to hiring.

I watched 3 kids straight out of welding schools screw up a job from a factory that went to their school looking to hire them first, all because they liked their drugs.

trades are NOT oversaturated, unlike your fat whale of s wifes pussy when she gets fucked by them all. listen u uneducated faggot fry flipper, as of now there is a 50k+ shortage of truckers, from longhaul to your "im home every night" trucker. in amurica. trucking is fucking bomb. i loved otr, 1k a week takehome as a company fuck. i took a trucking position where im home every night. not as much money but with my raises i gain a dollar an hour a year then after its like 75cent a year increase. OT, easy as fuck and actually respected for driving these fuckers. so fuck off back to your burger joint nigga. remember to kill yourself

how do you expect a man to work a blue collar job and not do drugs

Electricians make a shit ton of money.

Trades are pretty cool because in a lot of areas they are in high demand and pay well. Everyone goes through school and they are told "go to college if you want to be successful in life". But going to tech school and picking up a trade is sometimes a better option

I don't see any reason to take drugs (for me) not even weed, weed is gay as hell in my opinion

>going 100k in debt to learn a trade

are you fucking retarded? you can apprentice FOR FREE and GET PAID FOR IT.

holy shit this is why there's a fucking debt crisis

There you go. One less thing that counts against you ^ ^

AC/heating repair. Good money if you can talk to people and convince them that you need their money more than they do. Commercial is steady income after you do residential work for a while. Buddy of mine used to clear about $1500 a week with 3-4 years experience.

Im a TIG welder myself. My advice would be to focus on construction and or repair in the welding industry. Manufacturing is outsourced and inconsistent. A traveling welder can do well financially, but it's not an easy life. However, when you travel for work it's easier to take up a rural residence. Energy will BOOM under Trump. Get on pipeline or follow the shutdowns in processing plants for the next 8 years, save your money, then build your own business.

Unless you are going for something un the engineering fieles, I wouldnt bother going to college.

There's nothing wrong with being a blue collar worker.

sounds like you got the right mindset kiddo. you would be amazed how many people, if you ask, will let you shadow them for an hour at their job. i mean literally just fucking walk into a farmers market or something and say you'll give them a hundred bucks to watch and learn back at the farm for an hour. you're much better off doing that five times then racking up tens of thousands of dollars of interest wracked debt to the college loan juden.

You can get many types of welding certs at a community college in two years.

>I got hired as an electrical apprentice and work full time

How hard was this to do? I've been considering becoming an electrician

I'm sick of banging hammers, electrician seems like a much better job

Just do the manliest trade there is. Automotive tech. I can walk into any city and have a job within a week. You also save a hell of a lot on car repairs.

How do you get into Auto tech?
I'm not really interested in cars desu, not sure if that effects anything

Student loans are a system designed to enslave you under the thumb of banks for decades. You will pay that loan back, doubled because of interest, for 40 years all for 4 years in a glorified playpen. Don't fall for it.

Welding and factory jobs are actually VERY in-demand right now, because od all the dumb fucks your age who went to college instead. Take advantage, rise above, and in four years you will have a ton of money/experience AND no debt. Win-win.

At the very least, take a gap year and try welding or another trade to see how you do with it. If you really hate trade jobs you can always get a college degree after you know what you really want.

that dog is huge

You can easily do that with a good trade.
My Dad is a welder/fitter and makes $40/h and 90% of his job is drawing lines and telling the apprentices where to weld.
He blew his money on drafting and then computer science back in the 70s, got nothing from either since no-one would hire him.

The key with trades is to keep learning on the job and show motivation to learn.

Employers and foreman's love people who are motivated since it means they can leave them alone and do other things.

Not every place is going to be good though. You can find some real shit holes to work for out there.
But there is some awesome places to work aswell so if you dont like your current place, just keep looking around.

You either go to trades college for Tech class. Or find a Journeyman and apprentice under him for years. Get your foot in a tire shop and start doing oil/tire changes. See if its your thing. Its a rewarding career. But can be challenging at some points.

>Show motivation to learn

>Pick up a fucking broom!

This is so true. These kids don't fucking anymore. Welders are notorious for not teaching people the trade. But the rare times I see a hard working youngster, I'm actually willing to show.

Pick up a fucking broom and shut up.

There was a kiwi earlier who was saying welding would be automated within our lifetimes, maybe electrician would be better, I could work into electrical engineering from there

how can straya men even compete?

Only large production. I used to work at a shop where I'd spend half my shift fixing the welds done by the robot. Small runs, prototype, large scale repair operations will always be manual.

3rd year apprentice, HVAC Service tech (union)

I make about 73k at the moment, will get well above 100k once I turn out (become a journeyman)

Job is fairly easy, and if you're not a retard and have a good work ethic you will rise very fast.

How long did it take you to get certified as a welder? I read 8-12 weeks online