Forcing the Line

Let's imagine the following scenario... (Pic related)

You are standing on point A and you decide to build a road on the surface of the Earth that reaches all the way to point B. This road would be roughly 10,000km long (1/4th the circumference of the Earth) and would naturally follow the curvature. While traveling that road, you would always perceive it as being a straight path. In addition, wherever you stand on that road, it will always be level to the Earth's center.

Okay, let's go back to point A. From there, let's build a fence along our awesome new road. However, let's forget about being level. What we want is for our fence to always be a straight line. From start to finish, this 10,000km long fence, needs to be perfectly straight, never bending.

So what's gonna happen? Well, at point D you would actually be at a 45 degree angle (no longer level to the Earth's center).

Walking on that mechanically forced straight line, you are actually going up hill. Double the distance traveled and you'd be walking on a vertical wall at point E (in space...).

On a round Earth, if Human were to build such a structure... would we experience the above scenario?

First thing WRONG
It wouldn't be a vertical wall at E it would be at infinity.

I mean yes gravity would pull towards it's center so it would act as if it was more and more up hill

If a guy standing at B goes straight up, vertically into space, he would be parallel to the red fence all the way up. So why would it be at infinity?

Even if it would be at infinity instead of E, point D still stands at 45 degrees.

neck yourself leafnigger shill

literally nothing to do with politics, reported

You're a fucking shill. This is one of the most active political discussions there are. The only people who don't want it discussed are the ones who know they are wrong.

Yes D still stands but E would not be 90 degrees. The normal force exerted by the wall would only be 0 at infinity.

So what that means is you literally have a road that as you get higher and higher appears more uphill. It will never appear less uphill it will never appear 90 degrees until infinity.
Though the actual force will approach 0 as the force of gravity decreases.

Draw a line from point E to the center of the earth and tell me that the angle between that line and the fence is 90 degrees.

Now would you actually experience this? Well probably not. See the earth is rotation so you haven't taken that into consideration, at which would be relevant in a structure this big. I could do some basic calculations if you want, but off the top of my head, I am not exactly sure.

Right, sure. That's a fuck up on my part. Point E at infinity is seems correct.

What would the rotation have to do with the structure or you walking on it?

Currently the Earth is rotating and you are not physically feeling it.

What is the purpose of this hypothetical scenario?

This.

What the fuck is this thread even about?

I want to gather input from people on it. Get different views.

It feels strange to me that - although curve in the grand scheme of things - the green road would appear completely flat and level to you traveling on it.

While an actual forced straight 'fence' or whatever would actually be going uphill and not be leveled.

Could you show in CAD the curvature of the earth?

But... you drew a diagram. How can it feel strange to you when you clearly understand that your frame of reference is constantly changing as you move down the road?

Also, doesn't this thread belong on /sci/?
This doesn't seem political to me.

I think that while following along the curved "level" road, it would be odd to see something actually level, (The fence) taking off into the distance.

Okay you wanna see what happens? If it spins fast enough I think that since the rotation goes like 1/r and the force of gravity goes like 1/r^2 you would eventually be forced up the ramp not down due to the rotation of the earth.

Right, that's pretty much it. You see that fence along the road take off at some point.

"If it spins fast enough"
For starters, the earths rotation is about 1000mph. How much faster were you planning on going?

The radius of the earth is very large. So the centripetal acceleration is v^2/r where r is the radius of the earth. Very, very little gravitational force is required given that logic.

This is also true I think. It's been awhile since I took physics. F=GMm/r^2 and F= mv^2/r right?
it spins at 1 rotation per day, which is 1000mph at the surface. As you go further out it becomes faster.

Right, it would go out to the horizon, constantly. While I traveled "down" the road. The problem with that, is that I would SEE the fence along the side of the road, and still off in the distance?

Which shouldn't be possible? Because one is actually curved, and the other is level?

Buuum

I haven't taken any physics, so please do calculate stuff and put in real numbers if you'd like!

Is this an attempt to discredit my logic, while talking about spinning the earth "fast enough?"

So in your eyes then, the fence would be curved above us? Due to the insane increase of the earths rotation? Or would it be curved down because of gravity?

>v^2/r

v is velocity? so 1000mph. Squared is 1,000,000mph.
/r would be /3959 miles? Is that it?

So centripetal acceleration would be 252.59 (mph?)

Fix your units Damm it, this is metric territory, here I will calculate it. You would need 0.03366 m/s^2 acceleration. The acceleration due to gravity is about 9.8 at the radius...

This is at the surface of the earth, as you get farther and farther this would increase. While the force of gravity wouldn't.

You would never see it as curved. What makes you think you would?

It wouldn't be curved... why do you say that?

>you would eventually be forced up the ramp not down due to the rotation of the earth
Just trying to understand, dude. Thanks for the numbers.

If you can understand more advanced math you can solve the problem, but it depends on if there is friction, if there isn't you can calculate it rather easily if you have a understanding of say Calc 3.

It's mechanically forced to be a straight line, but at the same time you're going down a road that is "technically" curved, although level and straight to your senses.

I don't think the fence would appear curved to the eye, but it would rise and take off from the side of the road at some point, correct? (eventually no being in your sights at all)

So the force you would experience is in the r^^(r hat, so radial outward direction) would be r''-r (theta)'^2

Correct, but it would still appear to be a straight line, just at a different angle than it was before.
Again I have to ask, what does this have to do with politics?

Sorry that is acceleration, not force.

Some people think the world is flat lol, that is why.

>radial outward direction
So this force, due to gravity and rotation, would "push" me up the ramp? Or would it prevent me from walking/climbing it due to it being way to powerful?

Use a fucking laserbeam instead of building a pole you idiot.

Okay give me a second, because no. Look when you have a force the pushes in the direction of rotation so not radial but parallel, it causes the object to move up, and down for the opposite direction.

Gravity pulls you to the center of the circle. So wherever you happen to be standing, "down" will feel like that.

As you go along the path from A to B, there is a slight falling off, the land appears to curve down. That's why we have a horizon. It's very obvious if you go out to sea.

>what does this have to do with politics?
There are multiple religious, nigger, trannies, alien, and shit posts on this board.

I was simply in need of input from people with a better understanding of maths and physics than I.

There's a board for that.

take this shit to cunts.

Give me a minute and I will give you in depth solution, I have been doing most off the top of my head, 1 sec.

Also I am religious, so shut up.

Gravity is what determines how you perceive "flat" and "level" - and gravity acts upon the line between the center of the earth and where you're standing. If you're on a line tangent to the earth you'll be standing perpendicular to gravity - standing on "level" ground.

It's all about frame of reference, gravity isn't applied on the vertical axis in your diagram in points D and E, only point A.

Thank you for putting in the time.

Also, I wasn't implying that there's anything wrong with religious belief or any other topics mentioned above. Just saying it's not all politics.

>gravity isn't applied on the vertical axis

Agreed. Person at point C could rise vertically, reaching point D and find themselves on a 45 degree angled ramp - which started out level at A, but is no longer.

No it doesn't... that is mad.

Gravity does bend space time, but that is so insignificant with earth you wouldn't know.Here is the answer
The particle would move outwards at the point when
r=(g(Re)^2/w^2)^(1/3)
Where Re is the radius of the earth and w is the angular frequency.