Quitting substance abuse and finding passion in life

Hey Sup Forums, need some serious life advice. I've been abusing substances (drugs, alcohol, etc...) and would like to quit entirely, but I find that I fall in a depressing hole and whenever I do, drugs seem to have become the only thing that makes me happy anymore (I don't do hard shit, usually just weed, etc...)

I'm studying electrical engineering and have met people that have guaranteed great success in life although I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to find happiness, motivation and drive. This has started to affect my study, and work.

I've gotten suggestions like, 'get a woman', although I'm not going to get a woman if I can't sustain happiness myself. That's fucking stupid, I should be able to apply drive myself.

inb4 ugly, socially retarded, etc... I'm not, one night stand's have proved that, although I'm not starting a relationship unless I feel myself worthy of being a real man.

I'm not retarded, I know life isn't gentle what-so ever or easy, and I'm not in it for a cop out answer, or bullshit. I just want to know what drives the happy/sucessful people here and I'm sure that there are a lot of other people here who'd appreciate responses.

Other urls found in this thread:

na.org.au/multi/
aa.org.au/findameeting/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>/adv/

use you health insurance to get some addiction services. It's a lot easier to get back on track with help. And remember to stop voting for those who want to take these services out of your reach by taking your health insurance away.

They just pruned my post

stop voting for those who want to take away your access to health insurance you can actually use by forcing you to subsidize unhealthy entitled people

I'd turn to addiction services last, I'd like to find teh drive in myself to remove drugs and shit from my life

get some hobbies. you will notice you don't drug drink as much.

You need to find somebody you love and who loves you so that you have something more important to do than get knocked.

I do have hobbies but I find that it just turns into an addiction within itself and I loose track of the things that are important in life

I feel I wouldn't be what a good woman is after, if I'm abusing drugs now, what sort of weak woman would I be attracting? I do understand where you are coming from though

It takes more strength to ask for help, bro.

>success
fuck off, child.

People need hobbies to stay interested

What do you do outside of Uni/Work/Seeing friends?

Personally I play Guitar, Gym, Kayak, love learning about history and geography and have an amateur level interest in botany (I photograph trees and plants in my region and keep a scrapbook of the photos and descriptions of the species)

You need to find things you're interested in that make you feel productive and like your achieving something. Honestly an instrument is a great thing for this.

Also try not to fall into the trap of spending your entire time doing things like playing video games or browsing the internet. It's fine to do those things in moderation, I play WoW several nights a week with online friends I've had for years and am posting on Sup Forums right now but If you don't have things outside of video games, internet or TV you'll find you spend all your days glued to a monitor and the time will fly past you and you'll feel like you've not really done anything.

oh you want to be successful, well start a business, our work 60 hours. our get married. our all three.

1. Stop fucking smoking that stupid shit
2. Stop drinking

3. Take vitamin b and omega 3 daily. You have a deficiency in both and usual vitamin B deficiency causes depression. Many adult males have this problem now not totally clear why but it has to probably do with pollution in water and food and exposure since birth to pharmaceutical leftovers in both.

Once you have done these try exercising and occasionally playing an FPS type game but keep the amount you play limited. Tends to release endorphins.

Having friends usually helps also but only if they don't smoke dope.

Other than that how do I find the drive? I guess I just want to survive a few more years and see what happens. But it can be very hard.

Whatever you do do not drop out. If you drop out you will really regret that shit.

I know exactly where you're coming from on that. But it's not going to work out if you decide you can't.

I used a guy friend I looked up to to get around a suicidal bit because he needed somebody's help and it was more important than my problems. Be creative.

have you tried cleaning your room and watching pinnochio?

It really does, I find I can't ask for help from people around me because I fear being seen as weak, and its hard to admit that

I do extreme overclocking which keeps me learning and busy with things related to my degree and it's competitive, so I've got drive to keep at it.

I do need to start going to gym again but its hard with carpal tunnel syndrome because after a while, the muscle around my nerve tube in my arms swells and I loose all the strength in my arms.

I have been trying hard to stop playing video games completely, although I think I need to try a little harder at that

Thanks for the advice user, I haven't smoked in three weeks although I've drank a lot since then, I'll grab some vitamins and omega tomorrow.

I do ride a bike, so I exercise every day, and I will not drop out, I couldn't live with myself, I've wanted to become an engineer for about 8 years now.

My room is perfectly clean, I believe that you need a clean environment for a clean mind. Helps with study.

Replace shitty alcohol and your shitty addictive drugs with LSD, shrooms and weed. Or if you don't like those find something else to be addicted to. Like working out or whatever.

Most of soft drug and alcohol dependence are psychological. When people are saying "find a woman", they're not wrong. Most of the same brain areas are affected by drugs and genuine love. However, you need someone you meet organically that understands that and cares.

LSD pretty much ruined my drive for women. It's as intense as sex and lasts hours, why would I seek basal pleasure? I don't trip anymore, but I'm also not going after sex in a relationship. Worked out then I guess on the motivation front.

I already work 80 hours a week and LSD is the worst for me because it brings up the regrettable shit in my life (like abusing substances and not going after woman because I don't feel like I deserve it) and I become depressed for about 3 weeks. Weed makes me lazy, although I have used it a lot because it doesn't fuck me up like alcohol and allows me to work the next day

You need 30 days of in-patient detox and rehab followed by six months of outpatient continuing care if you want to have the very best chance of beating substance abuse.

Can individuals do it on their own? A few, but most who go it alone end up relapsing.

At the very minimum find an AA or NA near you and start going to meetings.

I make good money, have a gf who is practically begging me to propose and wants traditional nuclear family, I have my own real estate paid for completely by myself - no mommy daddy support. There's a BMW parked in front of my doorway. No larping.

I'm miserable. Every day is a chore to wake up. Every purchase, every try to find happiness, was a resounding failure. I'm placing my hopes in having kids, which I plan in near future, but I doubt it will help. At the very least, they will force me to not kill myself, because I'm not a nigger to leave my kids fatherless.

I believe some are just not born to enjoy life. I have tried just about everything and nothing helped. Be it travel, gfs, or throwaway cumdumpsters. I haven't tried drugs yet, but I don't want to venture down that road.

There, my 2 cents on it

>LSD turned me gay
You learn something new everyday folks

>it brings up the regrettable shit in my life
That's the stuff you need to come to terms with. Can't move forward if you're chained to the past.

That's what makes some sort of personal relationship important. It gives you a future to work on and somebody who can forgive your faults.

It didn't make me gay either schlomo. I'm just not at all driven by muh dick not that I was all that much to begin with. I'd love to have a family. I make median income, own a house, I'm not a shitbag, I've held up my end of the social contract.

NA Australia:
na.org.au/multi/

>That's the stuff you need to come to terms with. Can't move forward if you're chained to the past
This is what hallucinogens did for me. Something women, (((psychologists))), booze, or nothing else could do.

AA Australia:

aa.org.au/findameeting/

Why are you asking us?
If you want to do it you will.
Pull your head out.
Source: ex ice addict pot head ciggie fiend
Good gf good job good investments good friends good gym good sex

Same here. It was excruciating. But it allowed me to redesign my life.

I'm an electrical engineeting student too. And I'm pretty sure I could give you some good advice if you could perhaps identify what you think is the source of your discontempt with life. Be more specific

OP or anyone struggling, kik me at somewheretherooms. I can help, recently been through the ringer with heroin.

>...drugs seem to have become the only thing that makes me happy anymore.
Drugs are the reason you're unhappy whenever you're not on drugs, user. That is the nature of dependency.

>...I'd like to find teh drive in myself...
That's pride and fear talking. You have no problem anonymously asking strangers for help, but cannot ask people who would be able to hold you accountable for failure.

Asking for help is hard, user, but quitting is a lot harder.

And the great thing is, I have zero desire to use them anymore. I recognize those experiences were merely an alteration of my perception, and I don't claim to be some enlightened messiah, but it let me do what I needed to do in order to get my life on track. That being said, many end up overdoing it and burn out hard like any drug.

hey dude sounds like you're taking the right steps. keep off the weed. I had to quit too and after about a month, not smoking became "my thing". And start reading. It sounds gay, but do it. I know you already read a lot for your engineering degree but there are different kinds of reading and you will find the benefits.

First thing, buy Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. Get the Dover condensed version for .99 cents off Amazon. Read that shit. Seriously. It's the best place to start for getting your shit together. Underline the lessons that really hit home for you. Its your .99 cent book who gives a shit if you write in it. Then read it again. Its only 112 pages. Keep working out. Go outside. Enjoy nature. Spend long moments really getting into nature. Fuck your phone, leave it at home. You'll be shocked at how much you'll end up liking that book and nature. Trust me dude, been exactly where you are. You'll make it out.

Thanks man, I'll see what's around in my area, and see my GP about getting into something like outpatient rehab (I don't abuse substances enough to go into 30 day rehab, and I don't think I could afford to go into rehab right now, it'd both affect my grades and living standards significantly)

I understand that. I feel myself to be very materialistic although even that is diminishing and I won't kill myself because that's a weak attitude and couldn't stand dying without proving my worth before hand.

Definitely do not turn to drugs because it has not helped me at all so far.

It is a shame that money ('success') hasn't given you happiness and have a feeling that I am going to be the same

I'm not delusional and understand my faults in life, LSD just makes me anxious and depressed and I don't think doing more drugs is going to help anything, thanks for you input though, they just don't work for me

Thanks for the link man

I'm asking because I can't find any happiness or motivation myself. It all seems like bullshit. I tell myself to pull my head out of my ass and that I'm being weak but it's only temporary and I end up slipping back into the same habbits. Low and behold there are some people that actually struggle. Regardless of how strong you were as a ice addict. I haven't hit rock bottom yet. I will try to find a GF since a few people seem to be in choir with the same idea

I just feel like finishing my degree is so far away and that its a dredge to get through. Study is so fucking hard and so arduous, and it seems like it's only getting harder, I'm not at all dumb, but this shit is heavy, and hard to balance with life. And it's making me unhappy. I'm very fucking alone and I have been my whole life. And all I see around me is these people that seem to be content and happy easily and yet I'm not myself.

I don't have kik but I appreciate the offer very much

>I don't think doing more drugs is going to help anything, thanks for you input though, they just don't work for me
Good. It's all about being honest with yourself.

Sounds like part of the issue is the stress from school as well. Stick it out, the rewards are better than quitting. If you feel you need outside help, by all means get it. I grew up with a lot of AA and NA guys. I never felt like I needed help, but it's also because I had a resource of those people outside of that community.

One of my best friends wound up in AA. I knew he kind of had a drinking problem, but I didn't know it had gotten that bad. He made a career change away from something unfulfilling and now he's a doctor. He legit finds purpose in life by helping other people. Pretty admirable.

And a lot better than some other friends who wound up in prison or with unwanted babies or whatever else due to addiction problems.

That's good advice, I guess if I went to an AA or a NA meeting I'd be able to have people that would hold me accountable but wouldn't fuck with the prospects of my life, or look down upon me for what I've been so far

I'll definitely get that book and read it. I barely touch my phone, probably too little cause I feel its cutting out the social aspect of my life a little too much. Thanks for the suggestion

Honesty to myself is something that I've been doing more and more lately and it is contributing to my stress but I think in the long run its for the better

I'll definitely try as hard as I can that's for sure, and try to find a resource of people like you did outside of that.

That's pretty great, I feel happy for your friend man

> I'm not starting a relationship unless I feel myself worthy of being a real man.

you won't be a real man without a good woman on your side.

You have to find something worth living for. For me it's fish, as funny as it sounds, I'm a fish biologist and having it be my job to monitor fish populations is very fulfilling, if you don't have something that motivates you you'll just keep banging H until you die.

There's something very fulfilling about driving 50 miles into the wilderness and then hiking another 5 to go look at salmon populations people haven't interacted with in probably 100s of years.

I lost so many friends to meth. People I wouldn't even help anymore. I'm glad it never allured me. I can see why people get addicted, but thankfully I always found it distasteful and unenjoyable.

right on brother

Best friend I ever had killed himself under my watch. I think it was the improperly administrated SSRIs that broke the camel's back that I didn't know about, but I have no excuse for not intervening earlier.

good man. best of luck. stick with it.

The good thing about AA is it's decentralized. These guys won't care if you need help, the only requirement is wanting to quit. I never intruded on meetings because of that, but it was a great resource to have adult friends as a teenager who had been through it all before.

Haven't had any real close friends die yet, but it will likely come soon. Many in prison and persona non grata now.

First off, someone needs to slap the stupid out of you. Quit being a degenerate.

Ok, but seriously: exercise and physical challenge. Start lifting heavy and running. Exhaust your body daily. I used to have serious anxiety and I was a fatass, but I started exercising like a felon and now I feel a lot better. Your mind will clear and you'll have more confidence, both of which will help you succeed in life (both in terms of a career and, subsequently, women).

Set some significant exercise goals for yourself (e.g. 6 pack abs, bench 300 pounds, run a 25k marathon) and get to work.

I once contracted a roofer to help me out. We got to talking up on the roof and he starts telling me about having been through AA and getting his life back on track. I told him I really respected that, and I guess it hit one of his heart strings because he gave me tools and supplies and taught me part of his trade.

A solution? How about killing yourself.

Go to AA or NA and forget about (((rehab services))).

The only negative I've seen with it, is that it becomes a religion for some. I know guys who can be around drinking or go out to a bar to see a band and not be tempted, but others treat AA like another trinity and only have AA friends. It also doesn't work for quite a few people. We're talking 12% permanent non relapse in the u.s. at least. If someone wants help though, it's something to try.

building a house (as in supervising the construction and buying the materials) has given me some kind of purpose. now that i'm finishing, i'm thinking on gym and music lessons and trying to find a partner. after reading "a song of ice and fire" books, now i give a lot of importance to family and offspring.

Yeah, that's why my doctor friend dropped out after a year or so. Once he cleaned up he decided it was kind of culty and pointless.

No he's at a point where it doesn't even really bother him much when other people drink around him. He keeps some non-alcoholic beer in the fridge so he can enjoy the sensation of being a part of it.

Thanks man, I'll try my best

I'll definitely get back into gym and thanks for the advice

I'm going to assume you're a wog with shit for brains

AA and NA is a crock of shit

been sober for 3+ years, went to NA meetings initially but they weren't any sort of help

Weird, most I know avoid NA beer for that exact reason. It still has some booze, knew guys who'd pound a keg of it just to get a tiny buzz.

Ok i was only being hard because at the end of the day it all comes from you.
You are right it goes
Get shit together
Find partner
Be happy
NOT
Find partner
Get shit together
Be happy.
Good luck with everything man.
Find one thing just one thing and do it good.
Fukin anything ballet if thats what you into just do it.

I'm not the one killing his own body, try again.

it's all part of the path brother, you had to see it to discover your strength was within you and not in that group. congrats by the way. that's no joke.

It doesn't seem to really do anything for him, as well it wouldn't after a serious liquor situation, and he never has more than a six-pack around. Found his balance, I guess, and as far as I can tell it really only comes out for social events, and even then he'll have maybe one or two.

>AA and NA is a crock of shit

I don't completely disagree, but even worse is paying for rehab which just funnels you to AA anyhow.

Look at your dick in your picture, the left cloud

Hmm. Maybe reminds him why he stopped. I'm no saint, I drink to excess when I have no other obligations and smoke, but I'd never get down on someone for getting sober if they felt they had to.

Get a hobby. Try bird watching. That did a lot for me. Made me calmer and keeps me more in the moment than worrying about shit that might happen or already happened.

Might not work for you, but it's someplace to think about starting.

here's a for birds. my wife makes fun of me (in a nice way) for how I'm always pointing out birds and watching birds. It started off kind of as a joke. but there's something about watching them that brings you to the moment, just as you say

a (you)**

>it's a volcano that blows dick clouds

Drugs are bad. Mmmmm'kay?

Just gonna go ahead and hide this shit thread,

You're right, we should all get back to the drumpf btfo and white bois can't compete threads.

>a fucking eyetie

First, if you are atheist and intelligent then you are in a tough spot because you can't have any purpose nor hope. Christianity keeps me alive, seriously. I'm not saying you should become delusional, but ask yourself what could make your life purposeful.

As an aside, I would advise you to take some holidays, no less than two weeks. Not holidays were you party with other purposeless souls, but about introspection. I fancy walking alone in the mountains, from morning to evening. It's slow enough that you can think about anything you want, enjoy the scenery, listen to your body being in pain or feeling great. Prefer mountains with few tourists: I prefer to do that in winter when people stay inside.

how old are you?

he's either 15 or 75

Should work at any age.

Things start to change when you're just alone in the wilderness for long enough.

all jokes aside about the age/religion thing - 100% right about the wilderness, friend

I've been sober for 5 years. The depression following getting sober is normal and will pass with time. You've spent years fucking around with the reward system in your brain, so your dopamine levels are probably all messed up, which is making you depressed and craving drugs/alcohol. Getting sober is not easy and the process of improvement is often very slow. But, it's ultimately necessary, as addictions never get better - only worse - over time.

i've always considered that but i'm too far from remote places like forests or wildernesses and it's usually packed with people where I am

Do you have a garden or something? I made a specific decision to relocate myself so I could walk to and from work, and through a park, because I found that small, unexpected thing does wonders to keep me sane.

I would like to add: it's important to not take holidays as a consumerist pig, staying in resorts and banging sluts. Do it cheaply, take only one backpack with you with the strict necessary, and rediscover what your body is capable of. Endurance is key.

You can do something else than walking as long as you are not a consumer : you shouldn't buy happiness (be it with drugs, alcool, resorts, parks, other expensive hobbies, ...), the same way you should not expect your lover to bring you all of your happiness.

That's a good question. Really what drives successful people? I don't like to equate success with happiness like you did, I think we've seen plenty of examples showing that's not the case.
Is it discomfort? But then what makes the really rich keep wanting to be richer? A middle class person, being comfortable with his place, by that logic, would never strive to be better. Unless there's something that greatly discontents him. I'm comfortable right now but I see it's not going to be so forever if I keep not doing anything. And yet I can't move. Such is the gayness of the mind

autism

32. I walked a lot around 28-29. I have a kid now so I can't anymore but sometimes it drives me crazy and I wish I could take a few days off here and there.

>Things start to change when you're just alone in the wilderness for long enough.
Exactly. The sights, the sensations... years later I can close my eyes and remind the most impactful as if it was a few weeks ago. My body got in excellent shape too, though I've got some belly fat back now.

Switch to the hard stuff. Coke for example is fantastic.

I had a bunch of problems before I started doing blow. Now I only have one problem.

>You have a deficiency in both
Didn't realize you have copies of his blood work

Have you tried crack yet? Holy fuck talk about a nigger drug.

Drink some pee
Go in mountains
???
Profit

One foot in front of the other. I have been tapering benzos since 5/1 and I finally just said "fuck it" and started taking 0 a couple days ago. I have been doing alright.

I'm still drinking to get to sleep, but that's why I say one day at a time. Can't drive out all your demons at once.

fuck off brainwashed faggots, i did therapy for years and even went to a partial hospitalization once since the therapy wasn't helping and it's all a scam to squeeze more and more money out of you. from friends who've gone to rehab they're doing the same shit, if they weren't their relapse rates wouldn't be so astronomical across the board.

True.

When you find wild berries and figs after 7 hours of trekking you understand a bit more the masterpiece.

>I do need to start going to gym again but its hard with carpal tunnel syndrome because after a while, the muscle around my nerve tube in my arms swells and I loose all the strength in my arms.
Don't wait to heal that shit because it's only going to get worse. I have some problem like this but I try to manage it so it doesn't get too bad: change your position in front of the computer, take small breaks often and try to relax/massage your hands and fingers. Acupuncture helps too, but position is key if you don't want to have chronic pain.

I hate to tell you bud but that depressing hole is the reality that you've been escaping. The world is in a terrible spot right now and everyone has it shitty. We've all just learned to deal with it in different ways, some more productive than others.

>
>Have you tried crack yet? Holy fuck talk about a nigger drug.

Nope. I hate niggers.

>tfw when you forget to put in an anti-static sheet when you stick the cat in the dryer

Therapy doesn't work because when you get out you go back to the same environment which made you start doing drugs. See the problem?

Receiving help and attention from a friend will be more effective as you won't want to deceive his expectations, and he will keep you in check.

I am a former alcoholic and drug addict, sober off the booze and hard drugs for over two years (still smoke pot). I know it may seem impossible to pull yourself out of your addiction/ depression but you can do it. You have to push yourself to be productive even when you dont want to. Make some attainable goals, figure out what you want for your life, get new hobbies, work out. Whatever your into that is positive focus on it, and change your habits.
Its difficult to be all the way sober, ive done but it sucks. Now i use weed as a type of award. I get everything done in the day and smoke only in the evening, that way i feel ive earned it. Maybe try to only smoke in the evening, that way your more clear headed in the day time.
Good luck brother!

>figure out what you want for your life
That's my problem. Pretty much all I want is to be shitfaced. I have no other hobbies and I really don't know what else to do with myself right now.

I owned a business that technically went under 2 years ago, but it just refuses to die. I spent the better part of my 20s working 80 hours a week on the stupid business with two other partners that never pulled their weight, which was incredibly alienating and cost me most of my few friends. I started drinking to cope and really ramped it up during the period where everything was going to shit.

I can make it a couple of days sober but I always wind up with another bottle of bourbon in my hand.