How convenient for the US government...

How convenient for the US government, right after two major incidents at the United States biggest nuclear waste facility there is a terrorist attack to fill the headlines.

I know there is a lot of pro nuclear shill on Sup Forums but i haven't see one thread on Hanford. Even if you think nuclear power is great the way waste is being handled is unacceptable.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-20228176
telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/05/sellafield-safety-concerns-over-staff-shortages-and-nuclear-wast/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What happened

Developed nations using nuclear power plants is great, but you are correct, waste management and disposal is a very big problem. I think nuclear energy in its current form is a stop gap at best, until renewable energy is feasible for a majority of the world or other forms are found.

Nuclear is the future you shitlib

live in Washington, its literally nothing... worry about your small island.

A second tank of the highest level waste is confirmed leaking and a tunnel that connects to the plutonium processing plant collapsed
Don't you guys have the highest rates of cancer in the US?

Look at that pic the land is barren except where the leaking is, which is lush and verdant.

We demand more radiation!

nuclear fusion is the future. fission is absolute bullshit that has to be stopped

You can get it the UK wants to build a dump in Australia.

also look into Sallefield the equivalent facility in the UK.
By their own standards some of the building pose an "intolerable risk" and staffing has fallen below "minimum safety manning level".
I wonder why people don't want to work there?

bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-20228176
telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/05/sellafield-safety-concerns-over-staff-shortages-and-nuclear-wast/

I guarantee that shit isn't leaking. The NRC would blow a fucking anuerism.

Youre just mad that nobody will give you nukes.

Nope they will lie their ass off.
WIPP another waste facility in New Mexico caught fire in 2014, they tried to claim it was only a truck fire and everything was fine, but later after the real story was spreading they admitted it a barrel of plutonium waste exploded and 21 workers were exposed

This hahappened on the 9th. Yestersay was the 22nd. Dont be autistic.

literally nothing

Tl;dr ?
We got used to consume way too much energy, and (((people))) are just ignorant as fuck when it comes to energy consuption.
Energy should cost more.
Nuclear is, as of today, the only way to provide enough for our deviant need.
But it's basicaly a long term world killer.

I live 1 hour away from hanford its pretty gnarly

>nuclear power is bad, whaaaa!

fuck off, the world would be much better off only using nuclear power. It produces no carbon and is the safest power source per kilowatt. There would also be no wars over oil.

go back to your fucking farm

Profit seeking corporation put in charge of the nuclear waste

S O M E O N E S E T U S U P T H E B O M B

well hello there mr boring, next time why don't you bring some kind of a funny "meme" or get some "dubs". maybe then you will get our attention, until then, kindly fuck off with your educated opinion and boring real time analysis of what might be a life threatening situation

it reminds me of the near nuclear meltdown in south korea that happened when people were jacking off to the hilarious "controversial" film seth rogen made about north korea btw

Unfortunately its waste product is poison for 100,000 years, longer than any civilization has existed.

Why dont we have a national effort to move nuclear waste into the arizona desert where we tested those nukes.

Pretty sure the waste in Hanford is left over from making our nuclear arsenal, not from civilian nuclear power.

The highest cancer rate for men and women together was found in Denmark with 338 people per 100,000 being diagnosed in 2012. The age-standardised rate was at least 300 per 100,000 for nine countries (Denmark, France, Australia, Belgium, Norway, United States of America, Ireland, Republic of Korea and The Netherlands).

Why would i ever take an australian seriously?

>Energy should cost more.

says a rich man.

As with most things, blinding heart liberal hippies ruined everything.

I think you mean Nevada desert, and the answer is Harry Reid.

Hes from New Zealand you fool

ISTR they scraped the site. So most of the contaminated surface soil is in a landfill somewhere, and they wouldn't scrap an earth bunker roof (not really a tunnel) because its a roof).

Err
Aint murca fuk yea in that list?

It did not "explode" there was a fire that is all. Plus WIPP is back in operation.

Most of the waste is still fuel. The rods are recyclable. Look at France if you want to know how Nuclear energy should be done. The waste at Hanford is from primitive refinement processes from the 50's and 60's.

Look up Yucca Mountain. We had a plan.

Bingo, and it was done when we did not have a full understanding of the materials they were working with.

Agreed