Should Trump restrict the sales of diesel cars and trucks not in emissions compliance?

So far, VW/Audi/Porsche, GM, Fiat/Chrysler, Subaru, Peugeot, Nissan, Volvo, Honda, Mazda, and Mitsubishi have been accused or found to be fudging the ECU software to cheat emissions testing.

Mercedes cannot get its diesels certified yet for 2017 model year sales curiously as well.

BMW has avoided trouble so far, but it is clear now most manufacturers were cheating on American and European emissions testing.

Should sales of ALL diesels be restricted by the U.S. government till manufacturers can be proven to have come under compliance with pollution standards?

VW

arstechnica.com/cars/2017/05/volkswagen-bosch-fiat-diesel-emissions-cheats-cracked-open-in-new-research/

Nissan

nbcnews.com/business/autos/gm-accused-cheating-diesel-emissions-n765146

Fiat/Chrysler

usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/01/12/fiat-chrysler-automobiles-epa-environmental-protection-agency/96485486/

Peugeot

reuters.com/article/us-peugeot-diesel-idUSKBN17Q1S0

Renault

autoblog.com/2017/01/13/renault-diesel-cheating-investigation-france/

GM

reuters.com/article/us-gm-lawsuit-idUSKBN18L25Y

BMW

jalopnik.com/german-magazine-claims-the-bmw-x3-diesel-also-violates-1732767600

Mercedes

autoweek.com/article/car-news/daimler-launches-diesel-probe-after-doj-request

greencarreports.com/news/1104025_2017-mercedes-benz-gls-diesel-on-hold-facing-further-epa-scrutiny

Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Volvo

theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/09/mercedes-honda-mazda-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row

Oddly, couldn't find an article for Subaru

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.caranddriver.com/report-bosch-warned-vw-about-diesel-emissions-cheating-in-2007/
autonews.com/article/20170526/OEM11/170529872/bosch-tied-to-diesel-cheating-claims-against-fourth-carmaker
carthrottle.com/post/no-diesel-cars-in-paris-by-2020-and-london-might-ban-them-too-why-the-world-now-seems-to-hate-diesels/
theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/16/oslo-temporarily-bans-diesel-cars-combat-pollution
greencarreports.com/news/1107583_mayors-of-4-capital-cities-to-ban-all-diesel-vehicles-by-2025
archive.is/Nopdw
youtu.be/pboY1A3Af2Q
treehugger.com/cars/smog--los-angeles-doesnt-quite-sting-it-used.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

>Almost all these car companies are cheating on muh emissions!
>Clearly it's these evil companies faults!!
>There's no way it could be overly restrictive government regulations if all the car companies are cheating!
>Or the standardized testing that have no basis in reality and can be easily duped for the sake of passing the test!

Fucking bootlickers

The laws will be set in whatever way is most advantageous to American manufacturers. Large fines are the new mercantilism. EU will respond by continuing to fine American tech companies, Japan has no power to do anything.

Well, yeah the emissions standards were overly restrictive, but that said almost no manufacturer was honest about how difficult it was to comply.

Hell no.

Environmentalists will never support him, so he shouldn't bother pandering to them. Cars are a way of life for millions of Americans, and it isn't a demographic that will shun Trump simply for existing; he could make tons of gains by repealing many Obama-era environmental regulations, or making more exemptions for classic or show rods.

Cars yes trucks no.
/thread

Trump should repeal the emissions standards, period.

It's within his power.

They see how easy it is to dupe the tests. As I said already, they're fucking standardized, to a level that's never met in the real world, and so set in stone that the companies literally taught their cars to detect the tests and adjust themselves to get in line.

If they're going to regulate and test these vehicles, maybe they should do actual real-world testing, and achieve real results. Goes for both emissions and fuel efficiency

This goes double if this shit you're spouting is going to effect every day Americans. Most lay people only give a shit that they can go about their day to day living without undue restriction or interference from the government. If Trump cracks down on the cars that the average American is driving, he's not going to be making any fans.

Guzzle some more cocks why don't you, OP?

I guess the question for me is to what extent was Bosch complicity and aware that it was supplying cheating software to auto manufacturers.

blog.caranddriver.com/report-bosch-warned-vw-about-diesel-emissions-cheating-in-2007/

That’s the word from German newspaper Bild am Sonntag, as translated by Automotive News. According to the report, Bosch claims to have supplied diesel engine-management software to Volkswagen under the impression that it would be used only in vehicle testing. That software, which was able to activate emissions-control devices when a testing environment was detected and deactivate them during normal driving, somehow ended up in production vehicles. According to Bild am Sonntag, Bosch wrote to Volkswagen in 2007 warning the automaker that using this software in publicly sold vehicles was illegal.

In a statement released last week, Bosch revealed that it supplied common-rail fuel-injection systems, as well as supply and dosing modules for exhaust-gas treatment, on the Volkswagen and Audi models at the center of the growing emissions-cheating scandal. “As is usual in the automotive supply industry, Bosch supplies these components to the automaker’s specifications,” the statement reads. “How these components are calibrated and integrated into complete vehicle systems is the responsibility of each automaker.”

autonews.com/article/20170526/OEM11/170529872/bosch-tied-to-diesel-cheating-claims-against-fourth-carmaker

“We believe Bosch was the enabler,” said attorney Steve Berman, a managing partner at Hagens Berman who’s represented vehicle owners in lawsuits against all four carmakers and Bosch over diesel cheating. “They provided the software in a format where manufacturers and Bosch could work together to calibrate their engines to cheat emissions tests.”

Well, smog is a real problem.

my car doesnt even have a functional cat on it

You shouldn't restrict anything. If you want to change people's buying habits, incentivize buying certain cars without subsidizing them particularly.
Here in Norway we've had this bs debate for so long now For decades, the government encouraged people to buy diesl cars because of muh CO2, hell the entire structure for taxes on new cars revolves around CO2 emissions, but now they suddenly want to ban diesel cars in cities, add extra yearly costs to having a diesle car and generally fucking those who did what the government wanted up the ass for it.
Diesel cars use less fuel, thus have lower emissions, and with new cleaning systems in place in newer cars, their emissions will drop even more.

carthrottle.com/post/no-diesel-cars-in-paris-by-2020-and-london-might-ban-them-too-why-the-world-now-seems-to-hate-diesels/

theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/16/oslo-temporarily-bans-diesel-cars-combat-pollution

greencarreports.com/news/1107583_mayors-of-4-capital-cities-to-ban-all-diesel-vehicles-by-2025

The mayors of Athens, Madrid, Mexico City, and Paris now say they plan to ban all diesel cars and trucks by 2025.

I mean with electric hybrid cars do you really need diesel for torque anymore even in commercial applications?

bump

Always use archive.is on sources renowned for bad journalism and clickbait. Thank you. Wayne Lambright is Not Gay because he forgives himself every time.

archive.is/Nopdw

>let's be just like Europe (and Mexico)!
>do we even need [thing] at all anymore?

And here I'd thought Sup Forums'd been overplaying the shill invasion slightly. Fucking cucks.

Smog is a problem, but we can't solve it by simply regulating car companies (and the culture built around them) to death. We may be able to help by planting more trees/plants among other creative solutions. Think on it user.

But does all of this matter? In 5 years there will be mid sized affordable electric cars and the amount of gas/diesel cars will probably decrease. So should the government even bother to crack down on "dirty" cars?

I wasn't suggesting we ban diesel cars from cities just yet I was just trying to lend some depth to Norway's point about diesels being banned in cities. I think ultimately the solution must be about propagating hybrid technology so that we can have commercial vehicles that can go into EV mode while in cities which is increasingly becoming more common as a feature.

Electrified commercial vehicles are almost here:

youtu.be/pboY1A3Af2Q

Obviously China and India are big players in this but emissions standards have helped to reduce smog even in the face of more cars on the road:

treehugger.com/cars/smog--los-angeles-doesnt-quite-sting-it-used.html

For a long time, Los Angeles was synonymous with eye-watering, lung-blackening smog. This have gotten better over the years, though the air quality in the city is nowhere near ideal. Scientists who look at the various chemicals floating around during bad air-quality days have pinpointed the reduction in peroxyacetyl nitrate (PAN), a "secondary pollutant present in photochemical smog", to explain why LA's pollution isn't quite as irritant to the eyes as before.

It doesn't matter, because individual states (re: California) will for him.

Thank god my Ranger has a DPF on it, so I always make compliance. My sister (who bought an affected Golf) had to mail her plates back and get the car towed back to the dealership.

DPF?

Also your truck must be fucking ancient in design.

New one supposedly coming out in 2019

Affordable means a 500 mile range for under $20,000. For a full size family car (four seats, trunk) this is difficult and probably won't happen especially now that California removed their state tax credit for EVs (who now have to pay the full registration fee thanks to SB-1).

However, diesel vehicles can hit the mark and hit it well. Most of the state's buses and utility company trucks are already CNG diesel-electric hybrids, such things will extend into EMS vehicles and eventually commercial trucking then the consumer market. E85 is likely to come around, as well.

>under 20k

The average new car retails for ~34k

If they can have electric cars with 300 miles range + for that price that would be great but I think the bigger issue is that it takes at least an hour to charge and must be done every 3-4 hours (currently), and that there is limited stock of chargers in public, especially outside of California.

Diesel Particulate Filter. DPFs are expensive but they can be swapped right into the exhaust port so vehicles are easy to make emissions compliant. This is important as CA requires smog checks every two years to keep your vehicle registered, no emissions pass means no plates. Which is why the VW scandal was/is such a big deal there because people literally could not drive their vehicles back for the trade in.

Only about ~20 years, it still works.

bump

no

yes

I don't give a fuck as long as it doesn't smell the way it smells in 3rd world countries where everything runs on diesel and you're in an eternal cloud of stench.

Diesel in principle is good shit.

US emission laws are just piss in the wind, and just a method to trickle-down siphon money from the general consumer public. The EPA is an extortion racket formed by Nixon that has spread its tentacles across the world.

15 container ships put as much hydrocarbons in the air as every car in the world combined on a yearly basis, because they travel through international waters and can burn the most unrefined garbage fuel they can find and switch fuel supply when they enter port to pass inspection.

Localised smog is just a result of poor infrastructure, but it's easier to claim it's the collective greedy commoners fault.

ikr I was watching Max Keiser once when he was broadcasting from london and a vacation type cruise ship came down the waterway with a smoke stack about the size of a city block just belching out god knows what. I guess all the used motor oil people drop off at vatozone.

Normies just fundamentally don't understand heavy fuel oils. It damn well could have been exhumed Jews that the Russians had buried alive.

No
The emission bullshit needs changed.

No.

At this point lawyers have gotten hold of the process and are out to raise money. The original VW scandal just provided a legal template to gouge billions from automakers.

It is a acceptable to ramp the emissions systems up and down, certainly to prevent damage to the engine or emission systems themselves. The ECM has got to balance time, temperatures, atmospheric pressure, applied load, rpm, throttle position, etc, etc, etc. So I assume most of the accused in that list have some sort of behavior that is fine from an engineering sense but can be spun by a lawyer into evasion of the rules.

It's basically bench racing and trying to figure out how a dorito or a hybrid should pay vs. a normal car. Fuel is already taxed and it's all going to get puffed out the exhaust one way or another, so it shouldn't be much more complicated than ensuring it's not way out of line, like without a cat or dumping diesel dust or NOx way out of line. You know, like in the old days.

Small business, especially in the country, runs on diesel.

Big, expensive diesel emission repairs and the packages that are installed on new trucks prevent small business from being able to afford the power that a large truck gives. Not only this, but the technology itself is too fragile to currently survive in the wild. I have seen too many trucks come through for repairs that cost nearly $1000 USD. What are we fixing? The retarded system of governors and DEF injectors that clog up and hamstring the diesel engine in the vehicle.

Controlling emissions is a fine goal. Controlling omissions by gimping the truck and making them useless is lunacy.

I'm in the repair trade and usually find business-owned diesel vehicles run pretty solid, but when theyre registered for private use, the EGR valves typically clog through too many short trips. If its like a hyundai or toyota, theres obviously a cost, but when it comes down to bmw, audi, vw or peugeot/citroen the repair, that's when the costs skyrocket.

cheat it so there are excesive taxes on non-american cars, but you can sell it as "muh environmentalism"

That's kind of the alleged Trump plan to shift toward how the country used to operate based more on protective tariffs than taxing its own people to death.