What do you think of the 2007 phenomenon? It's often said on multiple boards to be the one year it all went wrong...

What do you think of the 2007 phenomenon? It's often said on multiple boards to be the one year it all went wrong. Was 2006 the last year to feel "normal"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IjXgbpkKnKo&
youtube.com/watch?v=f7iorfwcmeY
youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw
youtube.com/watch?v=aBd46BbdTfs
youtube.com/watch?v=5oHLu6HkDHY
youtube.com/watch?v=2NNMHxqJp6A
youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZW75rsYNA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_(1st_generation)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

idk, i was 8 back then

Ban?

The Halls were lit brightly then

I was admin of a gaming website back then and I remember how much drama there was caused by 14 year old Ron Paul tards spamming threads about how Bush is trying to end democracy and is building concentration camps. Promising to literally commit suicide if Paul didn't win. Wonder where they are now.

not sure, that was the year i got really into video games and the world shut off for me

Yarrr, you're talking about the year the Republicans lost the house to the Dems

redpill me on 2007? Besides Obama not sure what else contributed to the an hero-ing of Earth.

To be in the light is to your be seen. You miss your darkness!

That makes him 18 retard.

Graduated high school in the Spring of '05.

This is the time period when social media was starting to take off. If memory serves it was that Fall when MySpace really took off despite it being around for a while. Before MySpace there was something called Xanga. This is when the internet really matured and the way we communicate changed forever. It was 2007 when Facebook really took off and cemented social media as permanent. It's very sad. I can remember having the feeling in '07 that something had changed. This was a separate feeling from me starting to grow up.

Sup Forums was really starting to lose its "secret clubhouse" status as the amount of newfags exploded

You should be banned too you fucking underaged faggot.

What even happened then? I was 17. I hardly remember. I do know that it was the year I joined Sup Forums.

Don't worry, no ban for him.

Obama, social media, emboldened leftists.

Fucking fuck.

If by "matured" you mean, "became terminal and void of anything new or interesting as forms of expression and communication became homogenized with one acceptable viewpoint" then I agree.

People forget that Facebook was ONLY for college students and required a .edu email address to join

youtube.com/watch?v=IjXgbpkKnKo&
youtube.com/watch?v=f7iorfwcmeY
youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw

this is post normal

We should just hit the reset button and return to the way things were in 2006.

pls you do your meme research over at knowyourmeme.com

It actually did all go wrong for me at 2007, it's been getting shittier ever since, the memes are real.

I've known about Sup Forums since at least '06 (I was a high school freshman). Never went online until this year though because I thought the only topic discussed here was anime.

>lots of typhoons
>normal

>Wonder where they are now.
here or r/td

2007+10=2017
8+10=18
Does that help dumbass?

yes 2007 was a year of big changes for Sup Forums

the old memes then had a sort of pattern and it was before chanology, protestfagging, and know your meme and shit

Also '07 was the worst year of my life

I went to Newgrounds to get my pre-youtube degenerate entertainment.

2007 was the year that a bunch of idiots flooded CP on Sup Forums, which (tinfoil time, but probably true) got the FBI involved and if certain pasta is to be believed, regardless of who "owns" Sup Forums, the servers are owned by the feds and have been monitored ever since.
Double tinfoil starts when you theorize when they went from monitoring to actively using/influencing or when other agencies got involved.
It definitely was only Sup Forums that changed drastically. I was on Sup Forums, here, and Sup Forums a lot, some refugees from Sup Forums successful integrated, but Sup Forums never recovered. Now, it's like the thing has had a damn lobotomy. Other boards seemed to devolve due to suddenly hands-off modding. Sup Forums especially.

I came to Sup Forums in 2006. Chanology started in 2007 or 2008 and was the first time Sup Forums really got a national/international spotlight and tons of cancerous newfags came in. A lot of people are comparing the_donald newfags to that time.

Then m00t changed the front page to be more user-friendly to accomodate newfags. Then people trolled TIME and made m00t #1, he gave a little speech and tons more people got exposed to Sup Forums. News agencies kept writing about it. It's only gotten worse as time has gone on. And last year Hillary got as close as possible to mentioning Sup Forums as you can without actually saying the name, in a public presidential campaign speech.

So, as much as a newfag in 2006 can say, 2007 or 2008 was the start of public exposure for Sup Forums. Worst thing before that was the habbo shit.

I'd probably agree. It went wrong when YouTube went super mainstream. I miss the days when you'd find these really neat, niche YouTubers with a comfy 500 subscribers. Back then, 500 subs actually meant something and people didn't make their livings off of the site.

Does anybody here remember DAN ELECTRONICS?
Holy fuck I miss the days before Sup Forums became mainstream.
I miss people like Xenon, I miss the attitude the Japanophilia, the art and soul.
It's all gone.
I just recently started coming here again after years and I can see just how much the fame has affected this place.
Sup Forums looks like nothing but a bother infested cesspool.
So sad.

DQN*

I just realized something.
Sup Forums is a demon. People naming it has taken away its power.

2007 gave us the first, truly jaw dropping video games in terms of graphics:

Cod4: MW, Assassins' Creed, Halo 3, Bioshock, Crysis, Mass Effect, World In Conflict

Before that, the only jaw dropping stuff was 2006's TES IV Oblivion and maybe Medieval II TW

2005 was the last year that felt normal to me. Not quite as innocent as pre-9.11, but still naive enough to think things would somehow go back to the way they had been before.
I lost my good job in 2006 when they consolidated and moved overseas. It's never been happy for me since, just periods of less stress or minimal despair. I'm just along for the ride at this point. I don't really have high expectations for my future anymore.
This last couple of years has been so batshit insane that I kinda hope the leftists get every god damn thing they wish for.

Yes, it seems like the soul of the internet has been lost to cold blooded attempts to court viewers (mostly children) to get that magical youtube/twitch revenue

Uh, you don't get to ban newfriends.

Social media was the worst thing to ever happen to the internet. Fuck cocksuckerberg.

Yeah it was 2008 when we found out that this place wasn't so anonymous after all.

>2007

I was in Iraq

so yea

i do feel that there was a paradigm shift in 2007

This song was released in 2007. Sometimes I listen to it and tear up from nostalgia. I think about the ocean and being a kid and going to water parks and not having to pay rent and have a job and still live in poverty. I had hope for the future. So many things were different

youtube.com/watch?v=aBd46BbdTfs

Was getting banned part of your plan?

Sup Forums is the successor to Sup Forums. Newfags who think Sup Forums is chaotic and edgy don't even know, Sup Forums is mature compared to how Sup Forums was.
As far as I remember, Sup Forums died out as a cultural powerhouse around 2010. Their old memes became reddit material and they have made almost nothing good since, just a few notable raids.

This show came out and caused all "nerdy" hobbies to be flooded by normies and their bullshit.

op your just and old fag now thats what happened

youtube.com/watch?v=5oHLu6HkDHY

:(
Pre-9/11 was God-Tier
But Pre-08 was a time when returning to God-Tier at least felt possible...

2007 was the year i broke up with my gf and started smoking weed

2 biggest mistakes of my life

2007 was the last great year, 2008 is when things went downhill senpai

The first iPhone was released in 2007 and plebs have had an easier time getting on the internet ever since. Hell, most people don't even own a PC anymore, they just use their (((phones))) and (((televisions))).

Society focused on change
Iphone came out, were were in the future
Indie music became a major genre, non masculine themes and sounds
Big bang theory started, along with the popularization of 'nerd culture'
Cell phone usage gained traction
Social media booming

I fuck HEAVILY with the idea that things shifted in 2007.

The year that social media really took off. I mean Myspace was a thing but was pretty harmless.

Its silly to think it was a certain year. Things happened incrementally. The worst was probably from 2001-2004 when the jobs first started leaving and all sorts of new laws for "security". Then the housing crisis, great recession, etc.

Seriously the first 3/4ths of 2007 were looking bright.

I remember when AVGN had like 7 million views on some video in 2006 or 2007. Back then it was unheard of.
Now some videos have 1 or 2 billion views.

Youtube was really niche and interesting back then, not that it isn't still fun now.
I liked the response video feature.

youtube.com/watch?v=2NNMHxqJp6A

Yeah, I also died, pretty sad.

I don't know if I completely agree with that.
As a cultural influence, then yeah, you right.
As a creative content generator, nope. Peak Sup Forums, which I was lucky enough to see just before the grey area purge, was a constant stream of laughs, shocks, and stories.
But yeah, now it's unforgivable garbage, just a bunch of preteens looking for boobs. Sup Forums was always a little immature, but like I said earlier, they behave lobotomy tier now.
Same with /x/. /x/ had a really good run when it first started, just to get the creepy threads off Sup Forums, but I don't know what happened there.

Why do you think rules 1 and 2 were the very first and most important rules?

Are you talking about Australia and why do you think that?

Last of studies at the university. 2006 in a lot of ways was my last happy year.

This is the first time I've seen you outside of a Christian thread.

I am also surprised that we are closer in age than I suspected.

Graduated HS in 2007.

Social media just really started gaining popularity. Phones started to become a must have for everyone. The internet started to become something you needed.

Those were the biggest changes since then. I remember very few people had a phone at my age. Now it seems everyone 16-18 has one.

The american education system really does wonders

August 23, 2006
Never Forget.

No, for me things started to feel different around earlier this decade. I feel like that was when social media REALLY blew up and started to fuck shit up. Even though social media was around during the late 2000's, it was still in its early stages so it wasn't too bad.

Do you guys think facebook will ever die like myspace? Its cancer, every social interaction now is facilitated or arranged around facebook

checked and kek'd

>2007
Mudkip was still a meme.

the world mate, its when the culture shift started

thanx

Easy, 2007 is when Obama started running when he wasn't even eligible and the media ignored it and let him get elected. That's when the Deepstate cucked the whole country.

Thanks I was confused

2007? Try 1914.

I thinking you are too young to remember 2001.

Sadly no.

It has become too ingrained into modern society to a degree which myspace never did. Just look at Tinder - you need to have a goddamn zogbook account just to log in.

>Xanga
When I was 11, I somehow found the xangas of a bunch of high school aged "bad kids" for lack of a better word. Their blogposts consisted of stealing their parent's beer and getting drunk in the woods, stealing condoms because they fucked so much, etc. Makes me wonder where they are now.

I remember the Sidekick came out in 05 or something and then the iPhone came out in 07-08. And I swear, in the first months, amidst all of that brand-loyalty publicity whoring and people gradually getting sucked into their phones, I just remember thinking "this is going to be bad"

somebody needs to ban you

>there are people here that spammed,formed relationships, and used youtube streams

Dead, or dying.
The jewish run opioid crisis wiped them all out.

I think the equity markets became centrally planned around 2007. Now they are completely controlled by Central Banks. Before 2007 you could see trouble coming from equity valuations. Now those valuations are held up by governments. So it was really the year that market based valuations completely died.

>I miss people like Xenon

I still keep up with the guy, he lost all of his old art recently. If you have any of his old work please Email me at this obvious throwaway.

[email protected]

But yeah, when the average person here was a japanophile things were much better.

I would say Email me anyway to talk about the old days.

07 was the actual start of gfc imo, leading onto huge wealth consolidation and strange financial conditions.

Culturally; YouTube, fb, MySpace got rolling with the normies - I think the fulcrum moment for fb was when they made an agreement with Hotmail to auto add all contacts in fb.

This got us off msn messenger and started the great virtue signalling that later became known as (((social media)))

It was also the start of what will become known as the hyper inflation event of events. Later on when bernake (then head of teh phed reserve) spoke about helicopter money if qe didn't work.. aka stimulus.

Back in 2010/11 it would have taken 171000ish bit coins to buy a 1.2 mil house, now it's more like 500. My math isn't exact, but u get it I'm sure.

Bush did end democracy. Google "Patriot Act" and educate yourself, peasant.

I think post-recession after all the QE money got held up in the banks, the non-government owned banks took control of the money supply as well.

KEVIN '07

I KNEW THAT CUNT WAS UP TO NO GOOD

I'm full blown nostalgia mode, I want a drink.
I was listening to Lemon Demon all last night, the last thing I needed in the morning was a Sup Forums history thread to remind me of all the fun in the Partyvan CS server, habbo raids, when the motivational poster meme started, watching the NFL playoffs and FIFA with Sup Forums, actually learning things from /fit/, recommendations from Sup Forums that didn't suck, and countless hours just dicking about.

Obama wasn't elected until 2008. Sure that's when he announced his run, but he was actively being groomed and shilled by the media since 2004.

Basically this, the markets have been upheld by our government and quantitative easing ever since, we're no better than China.

I feel like we went down a weird route that year and something flipped us into whatever path we are now. That was a weird year for me. 2008 was probably one of the worst years of my life though.

Yeah, and we have people demanding communism now.. when we're already being communist in the financial context

You know alot of Sup Forums's history was tied with the anime con Otakon that used to be in Baltimore MD.

2005-2007 mostly.

A great example of how things have changed is the guy in this video, used to namefag as "ZettoSan" on Sup Forums. Now he is a full blown tranny.

youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZW75rsYNA

I graduated HS that year
I think i noticed the change around the time i graduated desu

Look at one thing and one thing alone, seriously.
Nothing else.
THIS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_(1st_generation)

Everyone else is wrong, this is what caused the shift.
Because before hand cellphones were literally just for talking and at best texting, playing little snake or tetris games.

This changed everything and it happened in 2007.

Because media was suddenly everywhere with you. Movies, music, text, calls, email, internet.

You became oversaturated, even still maybe not you yourself, but the masses became oversaturated.

It hasn't stopped since, constant stimuli.
Humans are not meant to have constant stimuli, we literally just sat at times for hours before the internet and tv. We use to work hard and come home and do absolutely nothing.
It was a way to relax truly relax.
We no longer do this, it was a form of meditation almost.

2007 was all wrong. Market should have started correcting in 2007. It didn't. In fact, the market went ape shit when housing prices went down. Fall of 2007 was when you couldn't sell anything in FL anymore.

Now it's just a farce. Last week China got downgraded, and the market didn't flinch. Because there is no market anymore. It's all Central banks now. But the milder version of what happens now started in 2007.

They were right, Bush fucked us all