What's the difference between being religious and spiritual?

What's the difference between being religious and spiritual?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Karbala
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Brap

One believes in magic crystals the other doesn't

Both believe in angels

religious: believe in 2000 year old horseshit
spiritual: make up your own horseshit

The difference is that being religious means you have a set of ultimate standards that allows you say "that ass is glorious", while being spiritual means you have a set of standards that allows you to say "that ass is glorious, but if you don't think so, that's OK man, whatever".

Replace that ass and glorious with whatever object or action, and an appropriate adjective. For example "exterminating sub-humans is righteous", and you can see how the former might provoke conflict, but that latter is philosophically vacant and only serves to justify mutually exclusive ideologies.

In otherwords, religion deals with truth. Religions might be wrong, but they presuppose truth. The latter presupposes nothing, because it is nothing, short of bullshit.

One is virtuous and of God

The other is what floozies and imbeciles believe

Spiritual: Being open minded about our consciousness and its connection to the wider universe; are we insignificant or just the universe experiencing itself. Do we really die? Are we really alive?

Religion: Believing a book written by a couple of lunatics 2 thousand years ago about the adventures of a schizophrenic and his stories of an invisible sky wizard who created everything

Spiritual: Being a human, wondering, building, dreaming

Religion: Cancer, war, money, mind control, paedophilia, death

Being this retarded about religion

basically this .
religion : use stuff people worked on for a long time with all sorts of stories and traditions and stuff
spirituality : DIY religion

You're clearly religious and you call me "retarded"

I really cant understand why America is so cucked by religion. Its fucking weird

Religion
>printed on you at birth by others
>social morality
>social guidance
>following rules / behavior readjustement
>rituals to remind you of rules
>community

Spiritual
>self-induced
>ethical morality
>mental guidance
>emotions or feelings on oneness with gods, nature or something "beyond" our comprehension
>motivation for life

Both of these can go hand in hand of course. I've reached my spiritual nirvana through the use of nature's gifts like magic mushrooms.

Whats also weird is how the American political right is synonymous with Christianity. The whole point of being right wing is youre supposed to operate on an understanding of logic against feelings. Where's the logic in believing the Earth is 6,000 years old when its actually 4.5 Billion years old? In the UK if you're right wing you're way more likely to be an Atheist or Agnostic than Christian. Because common sense, dickhead

Spirituality : following your own principles,
Religion : following other people's principles.

>I'm spiritual but not religious
>I'm into superstitious bullshit but hate rules

So Varg is pretty spiritual, then.

Religions are an actual social activity that are practiced regularly.

Spiritual is just worthless feelings.

It means that you get to hang onto a vague sense of religion's happy ending while being a phony and irreligious hedonist. It means rejecting religion without grappling in any honest way with death.

Religion: Learning of a dogma

Spiritual: Learning of yourself

all religions are man made and corrupted. christianity has nothing to do with teachings of jesus, islam has nothing to do with muhammad's teachings, buddhism has nothing to do with buddha's teachings etc..

we're surrounded by lies. if you believe in mainstream religions and think you will go to heaven or reincarnate to a good life.. well, you'll see when you die kek

also daily reminder that no leader/influental people in the world believes in the same religion with the common pleb. reaally makes you think

religious means you worship the jew

spiritual means you worship the old white gods

>religious
belive in everything a faggot say
>spiritual
find yourself and try to understand the world problems from all the angles
and now give me the fucking sauce for that ass

Sommer Ray

Massive guilt complex over their history, God fixation because 'it was his will' gets them off the hook, and a great excuse for continuing imperialism. Remember that every school kid starts the day with the pledge of alliegance = brainwashing

Yep - kiddie diddlers in skirts v 'I must be more than a meat machine'

I define Spirituality as recognizing yourself as part of a bigger picture that transcends the material and acting accordingly.

Religion is always spirituality of some sort, but usually based on scriptures and narrations which are believed to be of divine origin.

This reminds me of the one time Cristopher HitJEWns was beaten up by a gang of Syrian NatSocs after he defacated their swastika-thingy (whirlwind) with his pen during a visit in Beirut.

None of the words mean anything, as in they are not symbols for an actual essence, so they could also mean the same depending on who interprets it

Religion is the ritualisation of the dramatisations about spiritual experiences.

t. Maggie Khan

Is that girl white or miscagenated?

this guy gets it

>islam has nothing to do with muhammad's teachings

If Islam really had nothing to do with the ramblings of a genocidal pedophile warlord (and/or his successors) that'd be a good thing, wouldn't it?

The latter means you're a tree loving faggot, the former means you're a choir boy molesting faggot

Spiritual: You're a fucking idiot who believes in fairy tales.

Religious: You're a fucking idiot who believes in fairy tales and you want other people to believer your bullshit as well.

Religious means believing in other peoples shit.
Spiritual means figuring it out for yourself.

RIP in peace little brother.

He he he he- prick

Spiritual is the word for people who don't have the balls to go all in on a religion.

I always tell New Agers that I am very religious but not particularly spiritual.
They never seem to get the joke.

Religion is disagreeable

Spirituality is agreeable

So "spiritual" is code for Luciferian. Got it!

People who use the word spiritual are worthless cowards who are afraid to have an opinion so they try to appease both sides.

>1 post with this ID
report. and. ignore. slide. threads.

Sage

I know it's easier and more fun to meme but if you read on islam you would see that things are not like what it seems

a certain cult killed off his lineage and corrupted his teachings. that's how the secterian violence began en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Karbala

By cult you mean the sunni army of yazid right?

>Religion
Believing that followers of an ancient tradition over the course of millennia have had esoteric knowledge about the universe and the way it works revealed to them by a God, gods, or a higher being of some kind and developed a set of ethical and metaphysical facts based around those revelations

>Spirituality
In some cases, the belief that some sort of higher being, consciousness, or cosmic unconsciousness exists, but that it hasn't revealed itself to any one tradition in particular or perhaps hasn't revealed itself at all and attempting to tap into the higher power without use of that tradition

>Religion
You believe in magic, but you also believe in a tight code of moral conduct which keeps society together
>Spiritual
You believe in magic, but you also believe in fucking as many dudes as possible and spending all your savings on whatever flashing bauble google is selling.

"Spiritual" people claim to be but are almost always not spiritual at all. It is an amalgamation of various belief systems, believing themselves to be edgy and carving their own belief system, in reality are merely lemmings who are attracted to the formless, shapeless, dogmaless "spirituality" of some subjective,
relative Gnosticism existing only between the walls of their skulls.

I always tell those who claim this, "Satan is spiritual, too. "
It's a meaningless platitude which sounds as if it has meaning.

yeah. the grand conspiracy Sup Forums has no idea about

Who is the girl?

religious= part of an orthodox valid religious expression

spiritual=believe random things that make you feel good

Spirituality is the cucked version for people who are afraid to admit to they their natural impulse to join a religion.
ie because fedoras are cool nowadays.

I would worship that ass, but on my own terms.

Being spiritual means you think there's substance that isn't material.

Being religious means you identify as a member of a religion.

All these spiritual faggots are dumb, as to be expected. The purpose of religion is to provide a moral framework to restrict human behavior in a way that results in a healthy society.

Spiritual is a worthless emotion that has no effect on human behavior.

Laws cannot replace the cultural benefits of religion, nor do laws keep a moral or ethical consistency without a religious or pseudo religious backing.

spiritual is what women describe themselves as when they don't want to follow any rules and want to slut around and burn coal 24/7 but stil maintain the illusion of chasteness and depth that being religious usually confers

fpbp

Day of the rake approaches.

Absolute truth is incoherent. Not because truth is relative to individual persons or cultures (I.e. The "relativism" boogie man which is a straw man that nobody actually believes), but because it's relative to varying sets of working assumptions

Religious people are indoctrinated
Spiritual people are dummies

don't let this die without identifying the girl

>Spiritual

Being a degenerate.

>Religious

Being redpilled.

Sommer Ray you fucking faggot she has like 15 Million followers on Instagram

>What's the difference between being religious and spiritual?

Deontology.

/thread

I do believe in crystal skulls

who dat?

Depends upon context. Usually the words are used interchangeably because religions assume all forms of spirituality lead to their religion, and spiritualists believe all forms of religion are part of the greater spiritual scheme.
Both bypass absolute truth through the use of faith. Faith is a reaction against the great unknown. Everyone puts their faith in something, even atheists who put their faith in science. Religions believe their faith is the best, so they aggressively compete, and often have strong political influence. Spiritualism is acceptance of mostly every faith as leading to the same end so they tend to be more passive people.

/thread.

Being religious is being a member of a cult. Structure.

Being spiritual has more to do with what you figure out yourself and whatnot. Self growth.

Both believe in God
Just one of them likes to pretend they don't

This

Unironically the only correct answer