VIDEO: US successfully intercepts ICBM in historic test

VIDEO: US successfully intercepts ICBM in historic test

>The ground-based interceptor launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California shortly after 3:30 p.m. ET. A little more than one hour later, the Pentagon confirmed that it had successfully collided with an ICBM-class target over the Pacific Ocean.

youtube.com/watch?v=bAjUM_hf8DE

How freaking cool is that?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_Orbital_Bombardment_System
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Min_(physicist)
youtube.com/watch?v=RH_lUynMO7k
thebulletin.org/how-us-nuclear-force-modernization-undermining-strategic-stability-burst-height-compensating-super10578
fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/slbm/d-5.htm
militaryaerospace.com/articles/2016/03/submarine-nuclear-missiles.html
google.it/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/us-vs-russia-nuclear-weapons-2016-9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Be scared you discount beach towel..

We are invincible

its still only like a 50% success rate.

More like a 56% success rate, am I right?

Good luck intercepting 4000 rockets at one time. Stupid burger.

Holy shit this is unironically a moment for history

At this very moment, america can declare war on and win any fight, if trump wanted too he could take on the entire world without the fear of being nuked

Please do it, i want to fight for the american reich

I guess it's time to fire all our ICBMs lads. Nothing personal, just better to strike while we still can. Better burn all the world than let USA remain victorious and all. Nice knowing you all, i'm off to metro.

you mean they can stop an icbm with an actual nuclear warhead?

that could change everything for the west... but what about fallout though?

Ivan, easy.

You can still bully the small countries along your borders.

that ICBM wasn't moving at full speed

To get a nuclear detonation you need a clean, controlled explosion. The actual warhead doesn't detonate.

This is just the equivalent of driving a car into a buss.

I was blocking that.

Does it include Norway?

Well that's not quite true, if say russia launched all it's nukes we couldn't intercept all of them.

Why is it a bad thing if North Korea tests missiles but a historic achievement if USA does it

>Norks haven't even built one yet and it's already invalidated.

In the future, it would be "theoretically" possible. New technology will make sure that we get a new weapons-race anyway.

Please do it, imagine the pride you will feel fighting for trumps global reich rather than fighting in some desert for kikes

>bypasses your defences

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_Orbital_Bombardment_System

Because this is a defensive missile intended to stop people from getting Hiroshima'd.
Also the technology involved is far more sophisticated than just launching an ICBM, which we've been doing successfully since 1957.

ok how does it work then? what happens to the warhead?

they ar ebil comunist man country

>NK being able to build and equip 4000 ICBMs
Top kek

that's not good. Human beings still exist because of mutual assured destruction, now stupid burgers are trying to break the balance.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction

>france
>ICBMs
>1957

This is a good thing you faggot, ww3 is nothing but a good thing.

If you disagree you are a plebbit faggot

This is a major breakthrough, soon enough it will be a dozen ICBMs at a time, then hindreds and then thousands. You scared boi?

Fallout happens when a nuclear weapon is detonated on the ground. Very little Fallout in an airburst. Now, detonating a nuclear warhead that high up in the atmosphere might be an issue with regards to electormagnetic pulse.

>Because this is a defensive missile
Well West flips their shit when we put our anti-air systems near their borders. Very aggressive action apparently, peaceful bombers can't fly that way.

if not them it would have been someone else. We are fucked anyway

It ends up in a million pieces

Good news France, you're gonna be american one day

The interceptor looks like just using kinetic which makes the whole structure simple and therefor robust.

Nobody ever mentions anti-interceptor systems. If I recall there's only 36 of these at Vandenberg with 50%+/- hit ratio. Literally only useful for a nation like North Korea. Doesn't Russia alone have something in the neighborhood of 7,000 warheads?

>france
>ICBMs
>1957
retard

Trust me, this changes nothing.

The dummy ICBM was fired AT the interceptor. It did not take a single evasive action (despite every capable ICBM does so).
This was the FIRST test of this interceptor against a target that barely resembles a real situation. 40 billion dollars later.
This is the 9th successful intercept at all out of 18 contrived scenarios that were all set up in favor of the interceptor.

This demonstration was for show...as kind of a muscle flex for North Korea.

Theoretically...if these got to 100 percent(and they will eventually)...it would put us in a new cold war because M.A.D. would no longer be in play.

"We" as in the military alliance that we both belong to and whose offensive and defensive missile capabilities are all intrinsically linked, smartass.

This isn't near anyone's borders, it's launched from inland. Also your "peaceful bombers" keep violating everyone's airspace for laughs, you're lucky we're more civilized than the Turks and we don't just shoot them down.

shit

this is bad, very bad MAD is important this tips the balance and you can be sure trump is gonna use it as a poking stick

I also heard that this chink created a different design in comparison to T-U model:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Min_(physicist)

and saying because of the design and materials are different, the chinks hydrogen toys can be stored much longer than those US shit with fogbank inside.

Also because of the different design, the Chink's first hydrogen firework was actually deployed from aircraft, which would be a huge shock considering US and USSR basically just blew a lab sized device at the beginning.

Nothing can be validated of course.

you're not part of any military alliance, france

Kek

How's the Muslim mayor of your capital city doing?

Except this is good faggot, do you want to live forever?

Of courshe

Not there yet bro. If Russia decided to launch like 50 we would be fucked

Soon tho

>implying this tech is new and this isn't just a show of force

kek

>what is NATO

>thinking NATO isn't a fake alliance

Nuclear First Strike to wipe out Russia just got a lot closer

>muh destabilizing

If Depressed Trajectory shots and sub 50m CEPs to say nothing of shit like the Peacekeeper being able to throw out 10 RVs with more than 10 pen aides each weren't destabilizing, GBI most definitely is not.

>muh MAD

MAD stopped being a thing long, long ago.

The first Chinese thermonuclear device came more than 15 years later and a great deal of the underlying physics behind the Tellar Ulam design had been published in scientific journals. The US and Soviets had to discover it from scratch.

Even russia has only 7000 warheads, smartass.

Accuracy is far bigger factor now than numbers.
The US can now destroy every Russian ground based missile with a volley of ONE submarine. Theoretically the US could wipe out Russia and China simultanously and still have missiles in reserve.

Will be impressive when it can, the biggest issue now will be icbm's redesigned to counter this thing.

I can't hear you over all of my guns

Yeah because replacing your nuclear arsenal is so cheap and decoys and maneuvering warheads don't exist yet... Rolls eyes

>thinking you need to even intercept half of them to drastically cut down the number of effective warheads of your adversary

Exactly. That was the point of this test. It was for the system to accurately pick out the warhead when it was amongst penetration aides. I don't understand how people on Sup Forums are so retarded about these topics. RV Penetration aides have been around since the 70s.

I'm sure there's fallout from the nuclear fuel sprinkling down on all of the good little boys and girls, but it beats being vaporized.

haha who cares we'll just shoot 2 of them

USSR totally stole the secrets from US, but that chink's design is still weird, and considering in 1960s, chinks were still in a shit-eating stage - the great famine, i doubt they had enough spy activities.

recently news sayng US has trouble to refurnish their toys because they have difficulties to produce fogbank. Maybe they now motivated enough to get chinks design back?

Frogs indeed got helps from chinks, news and archives everywhere, I suspect they may also use chink's design.

What if it is launched from a sub at close range?

America in one sentence

Also we have laser weapons that can beam Russian pos 1950's missiles outta the sky. Look it up niggers

Why don't you start the next world war, you guys alone could take on chink china and ruskies

That's not how stats work.

Still a good chance one will hit though

it can't do nothing against the new hypersonic ones.

Nice CGI. We NK nao.

Canceled

We're already in WW3. The current theater is the Middle East

probably 30 years away
>russia plans on having it ready by 2020
kek russia can't even get a carrier (if you can call it a carrier with its cute little ramp) to the med and back.

needs more trumpet
americans need to step up their propaganda like the norks:
youtube.com/watch?v=RH_lUynMO7k

That is just like a man that punches themselves and claims he can withstand all other punches

I haven't done probability in a long time so I'm spit balling here, wouldn't it be 75%?

The chance that each individual interceptor misses multiplied by each other to get the total chance that they all miss(50% * 50% being 25%)?

NATO is a treaty alliance that France owes 7 billion dollars to in military spending.

Are you 12? We've had that since the cold war

Nah, we're not quite there yet, Russia is still a threat.

China and North Korea are probably not happy right now though.

Yeah, but in such an event if they both missed, they would have the opportunity to launch another at the same target, ICBMs are not light speed

>he thinks Reagan's Star Wars worked

tell me about the war on drugs, Kensama

>we've lied about having it since the cold war

ftfy

America has completed Strategic Defense Initiative. 75% chance of intercepting ICBMS. Take that Gandhi!!

You would be better off here if you actually learn military history

Because it's us vs them and always will be us vs them. They're bad because they're not us and we are good because we are us.

Also, they have death camps and shit.

I just see windows media player

eh. they said back in the 90s they could do it so its kinda what every one expected

the real thing would be multiples in waves and probably overwhelm the defensive system. if for nothing else than this "historic" test. 1 wont be enough so send 60 in 3 waves spread out with only 10 focused on targets the rest on random cities and the last 5 emp so the blast is way to high up to mater even with the shock wave

Indeed, although in a realistic scenario you've probably also got thousands of nukes being fired rather than 1.

It's not a complete fix, but methods for countries to not be nuclear holocausted are nice to see. We might get a proper full-scale major nation vs major nation war because of it again instead of fighting through puppets.

>spain commie posts again

Erm... what about Russia's zircon missiles tho?

Yeah it will be a nice change of pace, i am against proxy wars for the sake of arms sales, if you want to fight, just have a fight.

What did they mean by this?

EVERY
FUCKING
TIME

god i love my country

Though we'll say it's a shield against Russia and China, both nations likely will be able to find ways to get past it. It's really a shield against rouge states... plus workfare for engineers and the military.

Are you saying we should shoot 3?

ICBMs are the aircraft carriers of the air. The concept is totally obsolete.
Hypersonic cruise missiles are the future. Those russian cruise torpedoes also look promising.
Meantime pre-launching a few nukes to orbit would be a good idea.

What nukes already in orbit,

>implying your nukes still work

Here you are:
thebulletin.org/how-us-nuclear-force-modernization-undermining-strategic-stability-burst-height-compensating-super10578
fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/slbm/d-5.htm
militaryaerospace.com/articles/2016/03/submarine-nuclear-missiles.html
google.it/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/us-vs-russia-nuclear-weapons-2016-9