Is enlightenment, spiritually and politically, unattainable for those with substance abuse issues?

Is enlightenment, spiritually and politically, unattainable for those with substance abuse issues?

Other urls found in this thread:

aa.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No it can come in a flash like lightning

If not unattainable, incredibly hard. But then again, everything is for someone with substance abuse issues.
It can ruin your life, never mind the politics or the spirituality. It can straight-up flatten your whole life.

No, im an enlightened heroin addict. Also is this /x/?

>heroin addict
Jesus, user. Good luck is all I can say. Hope you take care.
>Also is this /x/?
I imagine this'll get moved to /bant/

See, I don't get this. I feel guilty about my alcoholism in that I'm missing out on life and passive with the political issues that directly impact the quality of life but you think you can be enlightened when using a drug that renders people so hopelessly dependant that in many cases it becomes their entire world?

Do you plan on doing something about your alcoholism, user?

I have alcoholism and a lucrative job, am /fit/ and redpilled.

I plan to quit every week but I'm weak and feel disillusioned with life. There seems to be no good times on the horizon and I'm fearful for where my country is headed. So I only last a few days before I start drinking again.

How are you guys defining enlightenment?

>high-functioning addict
I've always admired people like you, even though I've met very very few. I've admired them because it's like running a marathon with a huge boulder on your back and you still do it. Pretty amazing, but imagine if you didn't have that boulder on your back.
I'd say quit alcohol for yourself, not for the country or the future since they seem like abstract goals. I truly wish you the best in kicking it, since from personal experience I've seen the long term effects of it. Think less about the country and politics and more about yourself, and how it drags you, personally down.

For me it's not just consciousness and awareness but being active with that new understanding.

I think substance abuse makes you passive and humans should always seek to be active.

I'm addicted to kratom and that makes me way more likely to meditate and lead a spiritual lifestyle. I mean I don't, but I'm more likely to.

Alcoholism inhibits natural human functioning

Im addicted to krokodil and i consider myself an enlightened reptilian shapeshifter

If you can manage to force yourself to quit for about a week you will get clarity. You sound like a logical person, most of the time it's just a matter of getting past that point and then you don't really want to be consistently drunk anymore, because you realize what you are missing. Alcohol starts off as stress relief, and then it ends up bringing on more stress, so you drink more to relieve the stress, which brings more stress. It snowballs. Just a week or two of clarity and you most likely won't want to go back.

I'd also recommend joining an AA group. Say what you will about it, but the support system is great and having people who've gone and are going through exactly what you're going through is an immense help.

What do you have to lose user? Being miserable? Do you want to rejoin the human race? I was exactly where you are 200 days ago. I haven't drank or taken a drug since then.
aa.org/

On the contrary, modifying your brain makes it go places it normally wouldn't.

It's straight edge faggots who repeat the same routine day after day that are unenlightened.

Well, the first interest I ever had in my life was philosophy and osychology. Im 24, and was 15 when i got into books, documentaries, studying, and drugs. I live a pretty amazing life and i accept myself and love myself. Shooting heroin is just an acion I have picked up, it makes me feel above the world, and thats what i always wanted thanks to my lust for philosophy. People see me as one of those zen hippies always ALWAYS calm and in a good positive mood. I do a lot of drugs to try and balance my moods and brain makeuo lol. eat very healthy as well, all i need is a woman and ill be a complete man. i make enough money that my habits are totally under control. life is amazing once you transcend wasted emotions like pity, shame, regret, being high cultured and refined or whatever. Youre an animal. with divinity. Balance the two.

Substance Abusers having gone without that substance are even More susceptible to spiritual experiences.

>then you have kids with your junkie wife
>you overdose
>you ruin multiple lives in the process

Why not just stick to acid and weed lmfao

Because I fucked around and got addicted and I like this state of mind more than just a sober trippy one. I ate 4 grams of gold cap shrooms last week and didnt even want to quit doing H. didnt mind anything in my life at all, Dao.

also only fucking idiots that dont understand tolerence and dosage overdose. or the fucking idiots who have unreliable dealers that will sell them fentanyl claiming to be smack, and bam another one down. i have a few thousan dollars worth of testing kits and narcan in my house anyways.

Enlightenment is obtainable by all sentient beings, regardless of circumstances.

That being said, being an addict while working towards enlightenment is like shooting yourself in the foot before taking every step on the path.

Your body is your temple; it is better to clean yourself as it will allow you to have greater focus. You can increase your concentration as well by not constantly getting the thought of "Oh, I need my smokes/drinks/whatever" for example.

I am addicted to cigarettes, and I know that it is in no way helping me on my path. However, I have to focus one step at a time and do what I can. As long as you never give up, there is always a chance.

On an slightly unrelated note, to those who use mind-altering substances to gain enlightenment, let me tell you something I have learned first hand. Using drugs to reach higher levels of understanding will NEVER get you to the top. Think of it as taking a helicopter ride up a mountain; you get to see and understand some cool things, but you will always have to go back down to where you took off. It is absolutely better to climb the mountain yourself on the well-trodden path of those who went before you. It is one thing to see the mountain, but another completely to KNOW the mountain by experiencing it completely, step by step.

I hope this post helps someone; if so, then it was worth writing. Best of luck to you all, and remember that even though we sometimes say some insensitive things here on Sup Forums, do not take them too seriously. Evaluate a being on the content of their character, not their appearance. This advice will become more apparent the farther you get along.

Ive been redpilled, alcholism is strong with me however, hard to quit nightmares come when I try to quit

All spiritual greats advice against substance abuse because it creates the delusion of this, as well as other crippling harms.

Delusion is the greatest cause of evil

Remember that they are dreams if you can; I know this is hard in a dream state.

Sometimes, if I realize that I am in a dream, I just stop what I am doing in the dream and sit down wherever I am. It is typical that in a dream, you are kind of "pulled" in one direction or another. However, sometimes it is good to break this cycle and just sit, and say "This is a dream; may I learn from this experience to improve my life."