Newspaper archives

Today I have access to the British newspaper archives.

Post requests, today I put myself at Sup Forumss disposal.

Other urls found in this thread:

trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/41083410?searchTerm=Smigły-Rydz
trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/94852275?searchTerm=sosnkowski
trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/46414370?searchTerm=sosnkowski&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*|*ignore*|||fromdd=01|||frommm=08|||fromyyyy=1939|||todd=31|||tomm=08|||toyyyy=1939|||l-word=*ignore*|*ignore*|||sortby
trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/68316591?searchTerm=sosnkowski&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*|*ignore*|||fromdd=01|||frommm=08|||fromyyyy=1939|||todd=31|||tomm=08|||toyyyy=1939|||l-word=*ignore*|*ignore*|||sortby
trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/98597109?searchTerm=sosnkowski&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*|*ignore*|||fromdd=01|||frommm=08|||fromyyyy=1939|||todd=31|||tomm=08|||toyyyy=1939|||l-word=*ignore*|*ignore*|||sortby
youtube.com/watch?v=Ndxza00f9Lg
youtube.com/watch?v=0HRdhFmroQw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Cadre_Company
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peking_Plan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Daily Mail, August 4th,5th,6th, or 7th 1939
Any article on Poland, specifically quoting Ryds-Smigley

will keep bumping

OK I'm on it. Keep thread alive pls

Anything about your former son?
Singapore, Malaya, Straits Settlements, Lee Kuan Yew
Would be interesting to see what papa thought of their kids back then

tyvm, i was looking for daily mail archives earlier, everything is behind paywalls

You cheeky bastard. I'm waiting for this as well. Another Al Capone's vault.

Haha, its the elusive quote that is supposed to not exist

I got this by meme magic time travel.

February 13-14, 1945
May 2, 1945

More astounding that anything is how completely different the reading age and assumed intelligence was back then. You'll struggle to find prose with more than three syllables in pleb papers these days.

feb 20-25 1945

I know. And trust me. It's false. I know a lot about this period. Our greatest ever historian (whom Sup Forums would love if they knew about him) was an expert in the pre-WWII politics and diplomacy in Poland.

But Rydz was ridiculous. By 1939 he didn't matter and it looks like his one dream to become the next president wouldn't realize.

There isn't a 6th because that's a Sunday and a separate Sunday mail is issued. I'll look into the 7th.

It might be. There are a considerable number of similar quotes to that effect, both in the English language media and Polish papers:

>"Herr Foerster cited the opinions of Britons and Frenchmen including Mr Lloyd George and Mr Churchill to the effect that 'the Polish corridor was a mistake', hissed when he read out inflammatory statements by Polish newspapers, including the statement in 'Czas' that Poland would blow Danzig to bits if it united with Germany and the recent threat by Marshal Smigly-Rydz that Danzig would be the first stage in a cruisade against Germany."
- The Advertiser, 12 August 1939
trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/41083410?searchTerm=Smigły-Rydz

>"General Sosnkowski, second-in-command of the Polish army, declared : — 'Pilsudski's legionnaires were particularly favoured by history because it seems that they will partcipate in a second international war in which Poland will be one of the most important and most exposed actors in the drama'."
- Kalgoorlie Miner, 7 August, 1939
trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/94852275?searchTerm=sosnkowski

trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/46414370?searchTerm=sosnkowski&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*|*ignore*|||fromdd=01|||frommm=08|||fromyyyy=1939|||todd=31|||tomm=08|||toyyyy=1939|||l-word=*ignore*|*ignore*|||sortby

trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/68316591?searchTerm=sosnkowski&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*|*ignore*|||fromdd=01|||frommm=08|||fromyyyy=1939|||todd=31|||tomm=08|||toyyyy=1939|||l-word=*ignore*|*ignore*|||sortby

trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/98597109?searchTerm=sosnkowski&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*|*ignore*|||fromdd=01|||frommm=08|||fromyyyy=1939|||todd=31|||tomm=08|||toyyyy=1939|||l-word=*ignore*|*ignore*|||sortby

>a separate Sunday mail is issued
What does that mean, a "separate" one -- in a different archive?

How did newspapers cover the great smog of December 5-9, 1952? I'm curious about that.

What is the earliest you can find?

Not what you were after but nevertheless interesting

Our historiography about the Polish political elite in years 1935-1939 focuses on the fact that they were so arrogant and focused on creating their own myth. Big words and all for show. They didn't want war just to be clear but we think they could've been more focused on their foreign policy.

Except Sosnkowski just because you namedropped him. Although I think he fell out of favor between 1926-1939. He was a wise man and good commander. One of the few really dutiful patriots. Removed from our government in exile because he was too dangerous for USA/UK.

Today, OP was not a faggot. Unfortunately reports confirm he is still British.

I cry every time.

bump

>They didn't want war just to be clear
Well, like all nations, there were hawks and doves. Some didn't want war, like the Polish ambassador to the US Count Jerzy Potocki, but others like Jozef Beck did, and were very receptive to the lobbying of Churchill and Lord Halifax.

Monday-Saturday is the Daily Mail, Sunday is Mail on Sunday (affiliated paper but different editors etc.)... I think. So I guess it would be in a different pile?

Poland makes offer

Btw I'm also making folders from Polish newspaper archives (mainly Kurier which starts in 1910 but there's one that starts in 1848 and 1822).
It's great fun and you do learn a lot. One of the things is that you shouldn't trust those newspapers too much. I've already encounterest a couple false death reports.
Anyway it sucks that you have to pay to get to the best English archives but I may do it one of these days.

07/08/39

First time I hear about this. Although for those pushing the "Poland started WWII" conspiracy Beck is a much better lead than Rydz because Beck really was a domninant figure. He's known for this speech.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ndxza00f9Lg

Complaining about German government rejecting his proposition for a shared guarantee of neutrality of the Free City of Danzig/Gdansk (for this particular time period calling it Danzig is justified). Beck was an idiot but he saw the danger coming from Germany (unfortunately Soviet spies in his ministry told him that Stalin wouldn't do anything) so one month after making this speech he made an agreement with the United Kingdom. Bad move. This is when Hitler knew he can't count on Poland.

youtube.com/watch?v=0HRdhFmroQw

Oh so this is it. That's the speech. The city was neutral but of course Germans had the majority and there was a lot of tension and anti-Polish actions. No wonder the mayor was executed for war crimes after the war. Poland had only post office and the Westerplatte outpost which was the site of the first battle of WWII.

Also if anyone's wondering why the rally was such a big deal. It was the anniversary of this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Cadre_Company

This is the anti-comintern pact Poland refused to sign over "the British blank check". Thanks, interesting.
I think its a genuine mystery, to be honest. The Polish government and military were going in every direction at the time. There might even have been those in Poland breaking the law to start war: the Polish irregulars that were blamed for Gleiwitz were active and provably responsible for many similar small-time attacks. The Polish military were directly responsible for them. Ultimately, it doesn't matter, since we know that Hitler had intelligence of Stalin's plans to invade all of Europe, not just Poland and Germany. The Germans perceived that as an existential threat greater than any issue between them and Poland. That often gets ignored due to Stalin later joining the Allied nations.

This is amazing. It seems more innocent somehow. The ad doesn't read like it's trying to get in my brain.

Any one have hot pics of the duchess ?

Bumpity bump

Gleiwitz was a rather obvious false flag though and quite neatly tight with the "friendly" visit of the Schleswig-Holstein in Westerplatte at the same time. A place that I visit often and feels kind of surreal. Oh and the bombing of Wieluń.

Another thing that not many people know (because September war in 1939 is ovelooked by everybody) is the atmosphere of these days. People were anticipating it and it wasn't pretty because the official military expertise of that time was (real quote): "they're gonna kick our ass." The Westerplatte personnel was quietly incrased and three of our four battleships were moved to London. We were counting on our allies.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peking_Plan

People underestimate the fact that the events leading to WWII were a clusterfuck not dissimilar to WWI. First to blame are of course Germany and Soviet Union then Poland. Great Britain and France.

Ok the DM it's a fake quote it seems.

I think this one is done.

I have The Times, The Guardian, FT, DT, Standard, NOTW, Independent going back all the way.

>Gleiwitz was a rather obvious false flag
lol sure. Like I said, there were a series of such raids, and there was no suggestion that it was a false flag until Nuremberg, when the one source of such theories failed to testify, then disappeared thereafter. Like everything from Nuremberg show trials, its neither obvious nor credible.
Thanks m8, i appreciate the effort.

A classic

The fact that it was a German operation is not really a secret or something. It was rather poorly planned. No Polish uniforms, dropped body of a Polish salesman of farming equipment etc. and the dude already did a similar action in Czechoslovakia. Anyway it's not something that anyone cares about because everybody focuses on the bombings that happened at the time and all.

July 17 1918?
September 17 1939?
August 24 1991?

Thanks user.

Well I suppose information about events on these days would be posted day after, so maybe look for one day after the dates I posted.

Pick one date and I'll give you interesting info

Again, the only evidence for your false flag theory is the affadavit of Alfred Naujucks, who "escaped" after signing it, didn't testify, and lived without being discovered in Hamburg, until he died in 1966. The evidence that Polish irregulars were to blame is corroborated by multiple similar attacks in nearby areas, with many others killed or captured. There's no evidence outside of Naujucks affadavit that it was a "German operation"; that's literally a story born at Nuremberg. Poland never denied it at the time, or for the duration of the war. Again, not that it was a good rationale for war, an Germany would have done so anyway; they even cited the treatment of the German minority as their casus belli, not the Gleiwitz incident, which was incidental.

I'd like January 30th 1933, please.

I'm looking through the archives of our newspapers. The issue from September 18, 1939 and holy shit. And yeah there's info about battles, Soviets coming from the East but on the first page there's an anti-Anglo article. I did not expect this. Also the last issue is from September 26. These journalists had some balls.

Also if you're looking for some important dates look a couple days ahead. It's not modern age media that report about everything immediately.

Tough one, I guess I'll go with September 17th 1939 and after, I wonder how Soviet invasion of Poland was depicted.

If you have time look into 1991 event, I was just wondering if Ukrainian independence was depicted at all or if nobody really cared.

Interesting but makes sense since Anglos basically flopped on the defense agreement.

Which papers?

I have

This one is about Polish gold that was taken by the British. The headline is "England earns money on Polish demise"
Harsh.

Fug, I am not an expert on British media. Tbh just go with what you think has the best quality information (my guess is Times or Guardian).

Monday 5th October 1936 pls

K let's go with Times.

Do you have any archives on Wolyn Massacre? Or I guess by that time Polish press was basically non-existent? Maybe June 17th 1934 and after (murder of Bronisław Pieracki)?

They were all bullshit anyway. The real casus beli was Polish-British treaty. The criticism of this treaty is the basis of our current critical histography. Yes Germany is presented as the only real alternative. Not one mentions anything about any Polish trace during the provocation except for Franciszek Honiok murdered by Gestapo on August 30th whose body was left there as "evidence" The action was a failure because they chose a wrong target.

Those similar attacks were a part of the same operation and the Second Department of Polish General Staff (counterintelligence) had nothing to do with it. And I know a lot about their actions because my former professor was an expert on Polish intelligence units and undercover operations right before and during WWII. Really interesting lectures and I would recommend reading about all that but I don't think there's any translation. Most of this is related to local operations including the Pomeranian Griffin but that's maybe too specific for someone not from this part of Europe. This is why I'm not really that interested in discussion about conspiracy theories and revelations from shady websites and that suspicious documentary.

Btw the old radio tower is the tallest (fully) wooden structure in the world.

Hope this is legible

Noice, thanks user

Hey OP anything from the 1933 third ashes test in Australia from Jan 13 to Jan 20
Would love to know how Brits reported on bodyline

This particular newspaper disappeared after September 26th. I'd have to see the archives of the Polish newspapers in London. But people didn't know a lot about what was happening in eastern Poland at the time. The contact between our Home Army and the government in exile was very limited. People trapped in Wolyn were like on an island of grain field at the end of the world with two foreign armies and their own neighbors out there to kill them. A horror story.

Found something on Pieracki. First information appears as a last minute redaction on June 17th awkardly placed sideways on the first page.
Next one has more. I have to save it like this because a full scan is in the djvu format.

The Times is quite a dry paper

This explains why the Polish version has the same format. I thought it was just because I was looking at really old issues.
There's something really surreal about old-timey Polish language in an article about Abraham Lincoln or Jack the Ripper.

That was back when reporters reported and didn't provide fake news opinion pieces

hot fuck and with those sevens it just drives the point home further

doesnt matter if poland really wanted a war or not, if its military was itching for it, it would've happened

eek!
I cant read it, but I think im getting the gist of it.

(1939-1942 - they attack
everything afterward - commies move in like roaches)

Do you have anything from April 9, April 10, April 11, 1940, mentioning the German invasion of Norway?

DM 30.01.39

Twice they proposed to France and Britain a police operation against increasingly more militaristic Hitler but it was rejected. They wouldn't be itching for a war they knew they couldn't win unless there were actual allied armies in Poland at the time.

Going for a smoke, be back in 20. Any other?

>1939-1942
Modernization of the army. We had deals with France, Romania, Bulgaria and Germany (yes, Germany)

>1942-1945
Transportation

>1945-1948
Farming and education

>1948-1951
Urbanization and modernization of industry

>1951-1954
Equally strong economy in both parts of Poland (east was less developed)

Nothing about commies because it's a plan from the 30s but it does sound a lot like their grand plans. Of course it would've failed because central planning is bullshit.

Looking at these it reminds me that the attitudes and perception was quite different back then and unless you were Really Smart it would be hard AF to tell what was actually going on.

So however it was spun was what people believed.

"6,000,000"

any reference to trying to genocide the German people

i hate watching prime time news for exactly this reason. it feels like i just flipped the channel to Romper Room.

DESU I don't know how people could read this

I mean even that page would take a good 15m. Did people really spend 1 or 2 hrs reading the paper per day?

I'll take a look. DM only since the others are too dense.

People did what we do, read the articles they're interested in.

The Mail on Sunday is a different paper.

you also skim to see if something you're looking for is in there. most text is filler, anyway.

Second this. February 12-16, 1945.

Really good stuff OP. It's rare to see threads of such quality.

another

23/8/1964

Germans running riot

What paper?

I wonder where on the Kings Rd their HQ was?

The Times
or what ever ones you have mate

What u after?

no idea, just put a random date.

Please help me find a quote from either FDR or Roosevelt talking about the press and how they arent necessary or easily controlled. Last time it was posted 4chin nuked the thread before I could save it! It was so relevant to now I literally couldnt believe it.

Need a date

>FDR or Roosevelt
They're the same person, unless you mean Theodore Roosevelt.

"the rape of Poland" LOL

23rd was Sunday so you'll make to make do with the 24th.

Lee Harvey Oswald did nothing wrong

05/07/1940

Many times people would share newspapers among each other. The same one would be read by like 10-20 people. They read what the articles whose title got their eye. But there wasn't as much "clickbait".

This is high school level at most.

WHat u looking for?