Colonialism and Christianity

Was the Christian philosophy behind colonialism justified?

yes /thread

No

Colonialism was good, I would like us to colonise them again.

Colonialism is Sup Forums's "didnt du nuffin".

Absolutely. Christ is Lord. It's not complicated. Why are (((you))) even asking this?

Short and sweet, do not go /threading your own post though.

Why not?

I agree, although perhaps it is to be considered a ''necessary evil''.

Why is that though? Was it wrong and more specifically from a Christian perspective?

For the purpose of discussion obviously. Personally I am in favor.

Christianity could be used to defend missionaries spreading the religion, but that's it.
Slavery (even if it was for their own good) is a sin in Christianity.

Now you know that is wrong.

''22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.''

Colossians 3

>do not go /threading your own post though.

oh, excuse me then.

That's telling slaves how to deal with their slavery, specifically Hebrew slaves so they don't all get executed by Egyptians. It's not justifying slavery.
1 Timothy specifically lists slavers among the most sinful men who will certainly burn in hell.

Dont /thread your own post I shall do it for you.
/thread

>specifically Hebrew slaves so they don't all get executed by Egyptians. It's not justifying slavery.

It seems to apply to slaves of all races, and I am not implying slavery is justified per-se seeing as Colossians 4 instructs slavers to treat slaves with dignity.

''Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven.''

Well the Bible surely couldn't contradict itself, but it would seem that the earlier books are much softer on slavery than the later books.
Perhaps we are missing something from context.

Today is no different, they just manage you less. If you manage to start a business, congratulations, you're a house nigger. It's pretty much illegal all over the world to talk bad about the modern slave masters. They'll put you in a cage for doing it in parts of Europe.

Possibly. It stands to reason the whole matter is like the camel analogy of Matthew 19:24

''Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

I agree, the mentality sure has not changed at all.

Some people even suggest that the camel part of that analogy is a mistranslation and that the original was referring to a rope going through the eye of a needle.

It was justified when the Catholics did colonialism but not when the Protestants did it, since Protestants didn't have any mandate from God to spread the Gospel since they are all heretics.

Just look at the difference today between catholic colonies and protestant colonies. you actually still have spirituality in the former while in the latter it is all enlightenment atheism and decadence.

I fail to see how such a detail alters the message.

Other than the obvious difference in difficulty fitting a camel through as opposed to a rope.

The camel part offers far more context to the possibility of sinful indulgence that comes with an abundance of riches.

This thread is not for disputes among denominations although I can agree.

Case in point is whether it was justified as far as Biblical gospel is concerned.

I don't think the detail alters the message, it's just an interesting idea.
There's also an idea that the eye of the needle is supposed to be some kind of small entrance into a market which your camel could not fit into if it was carrying too much.

I'm sure there are about as many interpretations of that particular verse as there are words in the entire Bible.

We should've just exterminated all the other groups we found, and save us all the trouble.