Should states and cities have the right to comply with the Paris Agreement?

I mean, the US is leaving it, how can states and cities negate this federal decision? Isn't this problematic and undermines the President's authority?

No I hope all those Mayors die in a fire.

This whole "for science" thing is just a meme created by portal/2.

States are under Federal rule since they're bankrupt. Federal government has the power to join international agreements unlike the States. That's the point of the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. To treaty with other nations.

> enforce strict environmental regulations
> businesses relocate
I don't see a problem.

They could follow the rules of the agreement without formally joining.

The agreement is simply:
>we will reduce our emissions by 20% by this deadline
If they want to drive out their businesses with heavy handed regulations, they are welcome to.

>how can states and cities fork over a bunch of their money to virtue-signal
I'm sure they'll all want to jump right on that

States can't supersede Federal. If they try they're guilty of Rebellion and Insurrection. That's what happened during the civil war.

Aawwww shit nigguh! Y'all wanna go Rogue One on us!?

Well we about to go Justice League on dat ass.

It's easy to be a mayor and say you will abide by an unenforceable treaty

No. Not unless they held a public referendum and received literally unanimous support. People should feel free to comply as individuals as they see fit, however. Nothing wrong with individual conservation ethic.

>states rights are bad now

/slap

voluntarily wanting to cripple your local economy, outsource industry to China and India, and make energy more expensive... now without any Federal subsidies

sounds like a great plan

Sure. Fuck your local economy up. See if I give 2 shits

>how can states and cities negate this federal decision?
the decision was not constitutional in the first place, so I expect this from the left.

Unlike your shitty country of Gerministan. The Paris climate shit was NOT an official treaty and was NOT ratified by the senate. Because it never would have made it. It's Trash.

Since you are too stupid to even know that. Go kill yourself you dumb faggot, there will be one less person to CO2 n shit.

These states would need to cover the vast amount of money the US was going to be required to pay. I don't see that happening.

I heard it was a private thing. If it is then, I don't care if someone wants to waste their money. But if it is a municipal or state thing, well they gotta raise that money some way. And I don't think Cletus who lives out in the backwoods of New York, California, and Washington will be happy to see his taxes raised so that a bunch of hipsters in NYC, Bay Area, and Seattle can feel smug about themselves.

It doesn't matter. None of this matters. It wasnt ratified by senate it was meaningless King Obama bullshit.

50% of the murders in Pittsburgh are unsolved.. and we are gonna listen to him on climate? Fuck this guy.

You have no idea what the fuck you are typing. Shut up.

I think individual people should have the right to support what they believe in. Aside from that fuck off

It is unconstitutional. According to article 1 section 10 states may NOT join any treaty.
"No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal....

ARTICLE I, SECTION 10, CLAUSE 1

>Should they have the right to create and enforce environmental regulations?
Sure
>Should they have the right to send China and other "developing" countries money for the (((environment)))?
No

its like Agenda 21

the Paris Accord was not a treaty, just an agreement

that is why individual cities can sign on to Agenda 21 without violating the law

Do you even understand what the 10th amendment says?

>Pittsburgh adds to their sales and gas taxes to fund carbon-cutting initiatives, adds regulations that punish local manufacturers

>Cost of living increases for average Pittsburgh folk, businesses find they cannot comply with new regulations and compete with outside companies who don't have to follow them. They decided to move their manufacturing, job loss ensues along with increased cost of goods in Pittsburgh. Politicans pat themselves on the back for being "good environmental stewards" while their tax bases is depleted by people/companies leaving the city in droves.

See what happened to Maryland after that clown O'Malley imposed the "rain tax" on businesses. They all relocated over the border to VA.

>businesses forced out of urban liberal shitholes and into middle america

Sounds like exactly what Trump's base would want desu

This. The agreement is a non-binding, not legally enforceable choice to try to reduce emissions to a certain level, and to give money to a fund to fund poor countries using renewables.

All they could do is try to pass local laws to reduce emissions or give away money, all of which is unlikely or just hurts them.

Let them.

I'm getting really sick of seeing these stupid bitches using star wars memes for everything.

Grow the fuck up.

>its not a treaty if we call it something else

They can't join the treaty as signatories, but they can write all the conforming legislation they like, to the extent permitted by the supremacy clause.
Are you a complete dildo or just a bircherburger?

>Rogue one
Are they even trying anymore?

The difference was Agenda 21 cities RECEIVED something ($$$) from the multi-national corporations that funded it if they made certain concessions. The Paris Accord would TAKE money from the US (ostensibly these rogue cities), which cannot legally happen.

>Implying they're going to donate $$$

States rights.

This is so dumb. What was stopping them from being green before? Isn't us pulling out of the accord a good thing since it doesn't force more government on us and let's us pursue the state's own ends for being better to the environment? Less government oversize allows us to come up with better and more inventive ways to "go green" which we can then sell to those idiots that agreed to the Paris accords at a higher cost. With the Paris agreement a bunch of wasted money an time would have been spent on how to spend the money then action. These idiots are unbelievable

Recucklicans always scream about the Fed being too large and to give sovereignty back to the states and local government. It's so fucking delicious watching this unfold as everyone piles on against "the Don" and his merry band of oil/coal shills.

It would be unconstitutional for a city to try and impose a treaty obligation onto people or corporations.

Even if as a city they couldn't legally join the treaty, a city can't create a law that duplicates the conditions of a treaty to enforce.

Simply put the city can pledge the city to follow the conditions and ask people and businesses to willingly follow but they couldn't create legislation requiring it.

Of course they should. Is this even a question? What type of society do we promote when cities, as misguided as they might be, are mandated by federal government. Let them experiment and fail. It's the quickest, most effective method of returning to productive policy, despite the chaos. It's better to let a forest fire rage than implementing top down policy which will only make the fire larger.

>refuse to pay for useless shit
>citizen still do it, but for free
yeah that will totally BTFO le drumpf.

> they couldn't create legislation requiring it.

Yes they could, the only thing they can't do is actually join the pact themselves. They can make local laws that require businesses to follow it.

You can already tell this is a commie plot
>Using the commie fist to promote some pseudo intellectualism cherry picking data of muh sigh unce for pushing a commie agenda

Wait till these fucks realize that all science is discarded in communism

Not that these fags know, they've probably never took any kind of science, only reading Facebook posts

>Isn't this problematic and undermines the President's authority?

It's a critical failure of leadership. The president's authority is in the trash now.

The states won't independently be able to send billions to China, for them to keep using coal for the next 15 years. Protecting the environment is good, subsidizing the literal worst polluters in the world, while also not holding them to the same standards of environmentalism is not.

I don't know if it would be constitutional for them to actually sign the treaty themselves, but I see nothing wrong with them implementing its points in their state and city policies. The 10th amendment gives them the power to do as they see fit within their borders.

Guys we need to be with the rest of the 'rogue one™' crew. You don't want to be 'the last Jedi™' that has no help from the rest of the 'resistance™' and have to resort to 'yet to be titled Star Wars: Episode 9™'.
Speaking or resorts: resistance™ meetup at Disneyworld™ Orlando (5% off Walt Disney™ hotels with the code FN2187™)

>we still haven't brought back pollution cap
That was 100x more effective than this will ever be.

So only local taxpayers foot the bill not national taxpayers.

Isn't that a win win situation. Local citizens get angry at their mayor and city council because of high taxes.