Is it possible to be a seeker of truth and a fighter for a cause at the same time?

Argument: When you're fighting for a cause you're devoting time and effort that is then blocked from being devoted to other things.

Counterargument 1: Certain paths of action lead to decreased abilities that you can choose how you want to direct.

Counterargument 2: If you have no principles, you'll fall for anything.

Counterargument 3: "A friend to all is a friend to none" quote by Aristotle

I often think about this question. For example when I see people being vehemently against Jews and all the things they've done. But I also think of analogies to this that play out in everyday life, a lot of times very subtle things, like for example when a person does something or says something, or just is something, and someone purses their lips slightly. That's a judgment and to make a judgment is the same thing as fighting for a cause. To me it seems that perhaps to have a totally open mind, totally free of any judgment, you'd have to be totally paralyzed, and maybe that only happens when you die. I've also wondered if it might go hand in hand with death and that when the white race is declining this is because the minds of the people are experiencing this type of paralysis, which is simultaneously an inability to act in the physical world and an opening of the mind to truth, although this is of course just speculation.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=gc8a17o6TMg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>A friend to all is a friend to none.

That proverb might perhaps be turned around. The only one that can be a friend to all, is he who is a friend to none.

I think the movie Nightcrawler is about this subject.

The nightcrawler, the person who races around the city to film crime scenes and accidents, to me is a representation of the extreme end of the spectrum towards fighter for a cause. The other end is the consuming end, and there's a scene that alludes to this where there's antennas and wires and sounds of various broadcasts jumbled together. But this is ironic too, because the nightcrawler is really the only one who sees things in person, he is the closest to the actual thing.

Seeking truth is a principle.konw the truth and the truth will set you free

Yes. The cause is the truth

It becomes ironic when you try to even talk about this subject, because even just stating an opinon, like you just did, is to make a judgment, to fight for a cause. I mean that this happens in all kinds of subtle ways. How does one know that at the point where one's mind has formed an opinion it isn't already locked up in a prison?

Only in a prison if you don't question you opinions.when was the last time you questioned Christianity?

This bored is a great example of group think.why come to pol for this conversation?

I have seen this subject mentioned a few times in various places.

I think Alan Watts talked about it in a lecture on Zen Buddhism.

Then it was mentioned in History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell:
>There are three kinds of men and three sorts of people that attend the Olympic Games. The lowest class is made up of those who come to buy and sell, the next above them are those who compete. Best of all, however, are those who come simply to look on. The greatest purification of all is, therefore, disinterested science, and it is the man who devotes himself to that, the true philosopher, who has most effectually released himself from the 'wheel of birth.'

A third time I saw something that appeared to be this subject was at the beginning of the book Tanya, the Masterpiece of Hasidic Wisdom where the attached picture was shown. It talks about how when your mind is focused on seeing the picture as a vase it can't see it as two faces, and vice versa, using this as an illustration of a broader subject.

Judgment is needed for truth because the truth is the act of separating fiction from reality.

I'm not a Christian. It's ironic to me though because it seems perhaps you can't have any kind of opinion at all on anything at all without it excluding other opinions. Any kind of opinion seems to be a narrowing or blocking of the mind.

Don't know what board would be better. But I thought it was relevant because of the behavior and attitude of the people on the board and the topics that are discussed on the board.

>How does one know that at the point where one's mind has formed an opinion it isn't already locked up in a prison?
I't becomes a prison only when you refuse to share and question it yourself.

Interesting idea. I'm also looking into the dialectic, thesis-antithesis-synthesis. From what I understand the synthesis is supposed to be an approximation of truth, derived from the opposition of the thesis and the antithesis. It's also interesting how the dialectic is a concept in politics and religion too. I'm thinking it might also be in technology and biology.

>Alan Watts
wasn't he a closeted commie and alcoholic?

>I't becomes a prison only when you refuse to share and question it yourself.
I'm not totally convinced of this.

You seem to be thinking of borders in a universal sense . what is me what is the outside world.

one example is modern day Islam look at what happens to those who question it. The people from the Middle East are imprisoned by their barbaric religion.

I've been thinking of stuff that relates to this topic, but it was mostly just rambling ideas. I think it was in a book about philosophy of science or the scientific method where there was a section talking about how any kind of history writing is inevitably a falsification of truth, due to the limitations of language, and how generalization is totally necessary. I've also been interested in the Trivium, which was the first part of a classical education, consisting of grammar, logic and rhetoric as an integrated whole. That seems to be dealing with these kinds of things. There was also a website that talked about how your adversary is your helper because he illuminates in your mind the dark spots that you have to work on or something like that, I'm guessing related to the Lucifer is the lightbringer thing.

>There was also a website that talked about how your adversary is your helper
Do you consider barbarians your helper?

not sure what you mean

ok. I've been thinking about that. Not sure what to say about it right now. You could also perhaps say that the extreme other end of the spectrum is total nihilism.

Adversary is your helper if you fight it willingly .

>Not sure what to say about it right now.
we both know you can't ahjjjjjjjmmmed

Don't know.

I don't know. I've been wondering if it's the case or not. I did have an experience in 2013 though where I felt like the alienation I had experienced was actually a good thing, and I think it was when later thinking about this that I started to think that the elite who through politics had caused the alienation to happen were good and maybe even some kind of messiah. Although later on I've questioned such things.

No, I just don't have a lot of thoughts and ideas to share.

what the fuck are u doing here then

I have some ideas and thoughts, doesn't mean I have an unlimited amount.

This pic is a great example of borders braking down.

I think you're talking about being a completely impartial observer.
1. Humans aren't capable of this. Everyone will have prejudices and natural inclinations towards certain thoughts.
2. This all assumes we can even know truth. I don't believe this. There is simply too much information out there and as individuals we are subject to basing reality off the information we are privy to.

It makes sense that in order to seek unmolested enlightenment that one must be an individual but in order to accomplish anything one must be a member of a collective. I'd argue that seeking truth is worthless compared to furthering a cause.

Nice input, Pablo.

>There is simply too much information out there and as individuals we are subject to basing reality off the information we are privy to.
I've thought about that too. Decisions are always being made based on the limited amount of information a person has in his mind.

>I've also wondered if it might go hand in hand with death and that when the white race is declining this is because the minds of the people are experiencing this type of paralysis, which is simultaneously an inability to act in the physical world and an opening of the mind to truth, although this is of course just speculation.
I've been wondering what the connection of this subject might be to sexual attraction. Just recently saw this interesting etymology for the word mafia:

>The word mafia (Italian pronunciation: [ˈmaːfja]) derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, roughly translated, means 'swagger', but can also be translated as 'boldness' or bravado'. In reference to a man, mafiusu in 19th century Sicily, signified fearless, enterprising, and proud, according to scholar Diego Gambetta.[2] In reference to a woman, however, the feminine-form adjective mafiusa means 'beautiful' or 'attractive'.

Those words fit very well with the main character of Nightcrawler; boldness, fearless, enterprising. And in the movie the main objective of all his efforts seems to be to sleep with the woman who works at the tv-station.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=gc8a17o6TMg

ur a funny gook

Listened to the whole thing. What do you mean to say?