Why are US roads so bad?

Why cant we adopt the European way of building and maintaining roads? During my trip in west europe nearly all the roads were smooth as butter and crews were seen doing work even when the road is fine.

Someone explain this.

Other urls found in this thread:

seattletimes.com/seattle-news/colorful-crosswalks-celebrate-gay-pride-in-seattle/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Local roads are meant to be maintained by the city, and most cities are bankrupt thanks to dupes falling for Jewish banker tricks.

Roads are for commies.

Paying for infrastructure might involve taxing the people who actually have money. Can't be having that.

It isn't just the roads, our entire infrastructure is a crumbling joke. Especially in the north east.

After years of complaints my city actually started fixing the roads in a big way. I was really impressed they actually responded to public outcry.

>Can't be having that.
Fucking right.
Why don't you fuck off to North Korea if you like roads so much?

Roads are bad because the last president redirected infrastructure funds to africa

>live in Washington
>roads are always shit
>population and economic boom hits
>roads are pretty much gravel now
>see people blowing out 2 to 3x a week
>state starts removing lanes
>speed limits go down 10 to 15 mph
>nothing is ever fixed
>pay 11 percent sales tax 15 percent for smokes and 30 percent for liquor
>state is still broke

european roads are in better shape because there are fewer of them, and fewer vehicles driving over therm.

Chalk it up to the continental climate and heavy road usage. It's even worse up here, especially the city I live in. Sometimes you'll go through 3-4 freeze/thaw cycles in the spring months.

I wouldn't be able to jack it to anime nearly as much from there

Local representatives are jews and defer maintenance as long as possible to take money now.

Because conservashits don't like paying taxes and libtards would rather pay for minorities to eat and take up space than to actually fix roads for the people who need to get work.

Ironically this also makes SUVs and larger trucks more valuable, which burns more gas.

Because government maintains them

What would you choose. Roads or muzzie immigrants?

>Ironically this also makes SUVs and larger trucks more valuable, which burns more gas.

I actually traded in my 95 firebird for a ram because it constantly bottomed out and blew tires in potholes.

I loved that car, thanks New Jersey

Gibs aren't free. Thx for your taxes goyim. Shaniquaea and her 7 niglets appreciate it.

Spokane?

Hmm. I'll have to think about that.

Roads here in Florida are in pristine condition.

Because the road funds constantly get raided by politicians so they can give their buddies no bid contracts who will take 3 years to fix one stretch of road

It's a fucking money grab. I can't tell you how many times I see construction going on, on roads where there are like 10 Mexicans standing around and 2 guys actually working.

There's an old saying... Don't kill the job

In my part of the country where it's mostly rural we usually have worse roads than the other regions, but it's slowly changing for the better.

Spring thaw and fall freeze. You dumbass.

Because spraying them black isn't the same as maintaining them

Because you live in the city and all the non-racist people left to the suburbs for uh... education reasons or something so now you are left with the racist broke people

People are taxed. It's called the gas tax and it goes directly into the road fund

S/cities/States and you've got it. The recession forced everyone to stop spending, and no one's willing to be the one to start again.

checked

You can thank conservatives for this and their insistence on keeping taxes low. The city can't do it for free.

Checked, my liege

Dem digits tho

What about places where it doesn't freeze?

Checked from manchester thread my friendy

>helicopters need roads

The gas tax hasn't even been adjusted for inflation since the 90s and falls well short of the highway budget every year.

waste of quints

You're living in a shithole. I would give someone $50k and 48 hours to drive around my county and find a single pothole. They fucking pave the roads just because they get a little too faded looking here.

Didn't Hitler build a network of highways?

its a multi-issue

the first being
>6 managers 1 guy working
Second is who gives the funding
>most cities are bankrupt after paying for 6 managers and 1 worker; they depend on federal funding
>Federal funding has slowly been shifting from infrastructure support to gibmedats for neets, niggers and women.

also there is work ours. Gov workers tend to take 2 hour lunches, and several 30 minute breaks a day. in an 8 hour day 5 hours isn't much time to complete a job given safety briefings, preparation time, the always happening complication with this kind of work.

They arguably over-maintain them. Like I said above, they pave mine just because they're not dark any more, it seems.

Cops cry and bitch for more funding which eats up most citys income then they go and use there cop car for personal shit and keep it running none stop while they are not in it for 10-20 mins just to keep the AC going.

true, Florida has nice roads

Florida doesn't experience continental weather, your road budgets are a fraction of what the other states pay that have go through constant rain/ice/salt/plow cycles, and Florida manages its roads well to boot (at least all the important Roads, I have no idea what some backwater swamp Florida roads are really like)

not all roads are equal, despite surface appearance. A while back Iowa got ridiculed for its expensive roads, and Illinois was bragging about its cheap ones. Within a couple years Illinois roads were shit and Iowa roads were still looking good, because Iowa used a 6 inch layer instead of a 3 inch layer.

Roads are not actually a simple business at all

Because all of us can actually afford cars. Most of us drive big fucking Hummers and 4wd trucks. Also we drive on the roads and not on the sidewalks killing people - unless we're drunk or niggers.

Also most cities are welfare centers and they can't afford roads over black housing/food/xbox live/direct TV/cell phones.

I just had a stray idea. What if when a governmental organization ran a deficit the politicians didn't get paid?

Like, what if there were a profit motive for actually running things properly?

Sounds good. Good luck getting it implemented

oh I know, well just up foreign aid another 10 billion per year!

>Why cant we adopt the European way of building and maintaining roads?
Trump wants to spend 1 trillion on infrastructure.

lol

that money goes to pay for niggers to have more niggers.

Road (((tax)) going to roads.

How fucking retard are you?

The roads in the northern states get fuckdd by snowplows and the weather. Also major industrialized areas are bad cuz no one gives a shut about weight limit

State roads will always be shit because there is no competition. A free market where road owners compete with one another to make the smoothest and cheapest road would benefit everyone in the form of cheap, perfect roads.

But of course commies and statists can't handle freedom so get papa gubmintz to gibsmedat them some """"free""""" roads.

Yep had a tire blow out 2 weeks ago on I90

Speaking of traffic laws; Florida has nice roads but NO ONE secures their load down here. No potholes but there's a shovel, luggage or pallet of concrete every mile.

>US roads
>Bad
>Bunch of white boi 1st world crybabies

You're all so fucking spoiled it hurts to laugh.

>build a bunch of toll roads
>pay to drive on them
>still pay the gas tax

Brilliant plan

I agree but it still runs into the issue of public utility needing to be semi-government owned or it constantly runs into zoning/eminent domain/legal issues

I don't know about you but where i live the roads are all perfect. Cali fag

We're sinking into the swamp

Our roads may have potholes, but at least we have gay, child fucking politicians, who spend taxpayer money to make the sidewalks gay.

seattletimes.com/seattle-news/colorful-crosswalks-celebrate-gay-pride-in-seattle/

>tfw live in Taxxachusetts
>state milks the shit out of property owners/highway commuters while putting no effort into saving the back roads and parts of the highways from their near-derelict conditions
>even one of the nearby bridges has been closed for about a decade because the town's too stingy to fix it and save everyone the trouble of a +20 minute detour
>meanwhile the fags down at town hall have all the financing in the world at their disposal for special interest projects, like repaving a road section WITH NO POTHOLES near some rich chad's house while the pavement just up the street is like a lumpy washboard
>and even if there is some roadway construction happening? you can tell it's a state job by whether or not +5 police officers are standing around with their hands in their pockets, getting paid $50 for loitering while maybe one of them occasionally directs traffic for a day-long touch-up job that lasts three months

True, I lived in Panama City for years and despite it being a shithole full of meth addicts and wastes of air, the roads were incalculably better than the roads of Dallas, one of the biggest cities in the goddamn country. I've lived here for almost six years and I'm still appalled at the quality of the roads and road works, every local head of the Dept. of Transportation for the last 40 years needs to be fucking shot, most of the city isn't even really paved.

Far better infrastructure in Europe, they also don't skimp on materials when building the roads. They've been using some sort of rubber in the asphalt that allows the roads to expand / contract with temperature fluctuations at least back into the late 80s.

If they built them to last here in the US, the Governors brother-in-law wouldn't get to renew his road construction contract year after year. Basic job security.

Wut? Maintain infrastructure? Why not just build more shit, pay off more special interests?

Let infrastructure rust and fail, then cry to feds.

America is massive suburbia. HUGE stretches of road. Multo cost.

Damn. You city folks are destroying your roads. See, our tax dollars here actually go to our roads and not in the pockets of local politicians (mostly because our fucking thieving state pretty much beats them to it).

>most cities are bankrupt thanks to dupes falling for Jewish banker tricks.
If you include the citizenry, then yes. We just had a bond vote last month that passed last month for the school district. The kicker is that we also just had one in November.
It's like these people have never played a Sim City. They're going to be whinging when the taxes go up yet again.

It's supposed to, but in practice I don't know.

>doing work even when the road is fine.
Sounds like German/EU autism at work spending taxpayer money wisely.

>Why are US roads so bad

Because 99% of Americans own cars. Even the poor. More traffic means more damage to roads.

Only rich europeans drive. Their roads get much less use.

Fucking this.

We're too busy subsidizing black and hispanic single mothers.

1) Europe countries are more population dense. This means it is cheaper per person per kilometer of road. This means they can afford to replace and repair roads more often.

2) We have a corruption problem between politicians and construction. This is why new roads in North America fall apart so damn quickly, take so long to complete and are so expensive. No one wants to tackle the issue so companies will be allowed to continue this shit.

3) Welfare bums. America has niggers that take up a ton of welfare. They take up far more money than they put in. If America spent less on paying for that niggers 6th kid, it might have money to actually have proper roads. Europe is starting to pay for their importation of shitskins, but they have had far less time with them. Give it enough time and they too will not be able to afford nice infrastructure.

Fucking I-90.

Went on a road trip last summer. Between I-84 and I-90 I must have driven past 400 miles of jersey barriers and road work ahead signs. Never actually saw any work being done.

The parts of I-90 actual open to multiple lanes of traffic look like a goddamned war zone. Constantly dodging random debris in the middle of the road.

East of the Mississippi is a goddamned joke when it comes to road work. You hit Montana and Wyoming and they aren't fucking around. Nicest roads I've ever seen. If you see a road work sign, they're legitimately building a completely new high way and a pickup truck is leading you through the construction site.

So, you have a top notch brain cos you barely use it?

Best part of I-90 is up toward the middle of the North-Western part of NY. All of a sudden you see signs that the speed limit is about to get cucked and you're like, huh?
>also the road is going to suck
wait, why?
>welcome to the indian reservation!
oh fug this fucking road is going to break my car

And then when you hit the sign that says you're out of the reservation, the road is magically OK again and the speed limit is back to normal. I think they do this to get back at the white man.

The best part of I-90 is paying 20 or 30 bucks in tolls for the privilege of beating the shit out of your car.

Try it without and ezpass. I did almost all of I-76 through PA once without an ezpass and it was like almost $70 or something completely ridiculous like that.

Chicago was the real prize of that trip. Toll booths every couple miles. And the traffic... It looked like a video of traffic in China, only you're in the middle of it. I honestly don't know how I didn't die.

For what the tolls through Chicago cost me, I could have bought another 800 miles worth of gas and several dozen grey hairs. If I ever did another cross country trip, I would literally drive hundreds of miles out of my way to avoid Chicago.

Oh God, the Indiana Tollway.
>"Tollway?"
>wtf is a "tollway?"

oh.

Same reason California almost had a dam burst that was inspected and told it needed repairs twice over like 10 years. Gotta spend that money on illegals and niggers.

My city just redid a major intersection and a bunch of roads that were in desperate need of it

Then people remembered

>"Oh, they're finally working on the roads!"
>"Ugh, they're STILL working on the roads?"
>"I hate construction. The roads were fine."

Also the fucking cucks down at the DOT turned a 4 way intersection in front of my house into a 1 way street and a curve for fuck all reason. The yearly parades used to go down that street. There hadn't been an accident on that intersection since 1975. There have been 5 since they changed it.

Why spend a little bit of money up front on maintenance when you can blow federal emergency cash on a disaster instead?

That's what happens when road maintenance isn't privatized. Unionized workers are lazy.

Here's what happens at my city:

>Roads that need repair don't get repaired fast enough.
>Roads that have no problems at all get demolished and "repaired".
>Many workers are hired to do the job that one person can do.
>Workers do the job very slowly.
>They idle their vehicles for hours to consume fuel to prove that they've been working.

They really needed the mosquito nets

This is actually true in my state the highways that are paid for by public money are shit but the pay for play toll roads which are paid for by private investors are really nice.

That's like every road in Montreal.

You got a huge dept (from mostly wars) that you have to pay off first to rich (mostly jewish) bankers.
Just google income tax and you'll see the problem there. Good luck Muricans.

Buracuracy soaks up all the funds for the roads so the roads rot.

>tfw no car to enjoy our adequate roads

Can't you get like a $500 beater or something user? You should enjoy the roads while you still can.

Looks like NZ roads
Low population density nations find it more difficult to maintain roads
Privatization of roads would be quality>quantity
Privatization of all roads would result in high quality roads but less of them, instead of lots of shitty roads
Privatization would be much more space efficient

We gotta have tax cuts for the rich, bro. That means no roads for you.

>live in Oklahoma
>roads are constantly under construction
>20 man road crew consists of three people working and 17 spics standing around yelling spanish at each other

The cost of warrant of fitness and registration and maintenence is huge though

What kind of vehicles are popular there? Here in rural areas of course a lot of people have trucks that are just as at home on private dirt/gravel roads. I had an older Subaru that took moon rover driving like a champ.

That sucks. My first beater was like a few hundred a year until I learned to fix more of it myself. Registration fees are like a tank of gas, basically.

This, people are taxed, Americans are taxed more then any other people on Earth, it's the people we're giving our money too who are corrupt and never invest in road maintenance

A lot of the independent contractors who fix US roads are localized and have little competition. They often collude to raise prices to the point where many cities can't afford to fix all the roads that need to be fixed.

This happens all the time with all state-contracted industries, by the way. From the pipes in city water works to trash collection. The companies are few (2-4) and know with whom they're competing, so they strike deals with each other (highly illegal, but difficult to prove).