How did society deal with kids with ADHD before the 80s & 90s?

How did society deal with kids with ADHD before the 80s & 90s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aBkSIFMTMoE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They smacked the kid in the head and told him to get his shit straight

Told 'em to go run around outside.

I was just about to say that.

We gave them comic books.

I wonder how they treated them in say, Ancient Greece or Rome even. Shit.

Before the 80s there was still corporal punishment in the schools. THAT is how "ADHD" was dealt with.

wtf is ADHD? its just a kid being a kid, nothing wrong with him.

Go run around outside.

Put 'em to work, slapped them in to line, told them to go be an annoyance somewhere else when there was nothing better to do. Just a guess. Since that's as far as I know what everybody ever who had kids and isn't a nut job does.

Didn't label them as retards due to mild social issues and so most of them turned out ok.

It was less of an issue, due to a more organic diet.

They bought trucks and raped people

Hitting them

OP do you even know how they are treated today?
Honest question.

I don't believe in hitting a kid, but does scolding/mildly yelling in a 1v1 sit-down talk work?

Hitting kids was always a thing so it likely works, but fuck

Military school

This. We also got them to funny shit as kids.

spanking

The best way to make a kid behave is to take away the things they enjoy when they're acting in an inappropriate manner.

Believe it or not kids would actually prefer to play their videos games and be nice as opposed to being a rowdy little asshole with no video games.

ADHD didn't exist

>How did society deal with kids with ADHD before the 80s & 90s?
By kids you mean 'boys'.

Society dealt with them by letting them be boys. ADHD is a made up condition to punish/medicate boys for acting like boys.

I don't think too many kids were hyped up on mountain dew and monster energy drinks back then.

as someone with adhd from an era before it was understood......

they thought beating them or overkill punishments like smashing your master system carts with a hammer for the smallest thing would cure it

it didnt,it just giving you raging hatred for women and you resort to violence very quickly

Depends how you do it. I'm not much into hitting kids -- that's kind of a trump card, and a lot of time simply putting your hands on a kid and exercising physical dominance can be enough of a psychological shock if you're usually one to use words and other techniques. But I believe they are all legitimate tools in the toolbox.

Talking it out, for instance, doesn't usually do much in the heat of the moment when emotion takes over. But it can be a useful followup, or reason can be communicated by actions rather than words, which is sometimes more intuitive.

Not accordingly

This kid dude. Yesterday, my buddy's friend was throwing shit, shooting with me nerd guns, being a shithead in general

Now yeah, that's being a boy. Young boys are different from young girls.

But if I was his dad, I would have taken him to another room and trolled the shit out of him

There is literally nothing wrong in hitting a kid, as long as you hit him in a non dangerous matter.

Protesting against the will of the majority and other public crying parades are literally the consequence of not hitting a generation of children

be made to stand outside in your underwear,beaten with snooker ques,given cans of cold soup while your sisters got mcdonalds..

eventually broke my mums nose and left home at 15,i turned out ok eventually.

FUCKING THIS. Instead of coddling them with Iphones, Ipads, fidget spinners, fidget cubes, and all that other shit, we used to just let them burn their energy by running around. Now parents just stuff their kids with pills. My litte brother has ADHD so my parents let him get Ds in all his classes, and now he's failing college and they wonder how he ended up like this.

Ever hear of a lobotomy?

sport, boys scouts, military.
You don't really need the meds.

This youtube.com/watch?v=aBkSIFMTMoE

They played outside

>Some kids were just spazzes, wasn't that big a deal
youtube.com/watch?v=aBkSIFMTMoE

One time my dad was young he did some dumbass thing or other and his father took his favorite card collection and burned it in the stove.

I think that was one of the experiences that caused my dad to swear to himself that he was going to be a better father than his father was. Learning about that at a young age gave me be a better ability to understand that my dad was trying to be better even when we completely hated each other from time to time.

ADHD is a contrived condition pathologizing normal child behavior, created to make pharma companies massive profits.

It was called; "Go outside and play until the sun comes down, I'm locking the fucken door" and you could do it because there wasn't a bunch of shifty desert and curry people around.

It is over-diagnosed now as "Ritalin = goods grades" to some soccer moms but there were a handful of kids like this at my school in the 80s.

We had one kid who could only be described as unhinged. Any slight distraction in the classroom and he would turn into this hyperactive weasel. he was sent to the principals office at least once a day and they would make him run laps aroudn the gym as punishment.

They thought he was just a hyperactive kid who didn't want to listen to his teacher. Running, running, and more running. He was no better a student but he became a good runner.

He also got hit by cars twice through his elementary school years. He never paid attention to his surroundings and would literally run after cars, insects, or other things that caught his attention.

Not entirely true. ADHD is real, but it's over diagnosed to the point where it might as well be a fake condition.

He clearly identified as a dog, check your privilege shitlord

detention

I can tell you, a someone who has ADHD in our lovely post mondernist society that well...

You have no idea how shitty the system is. Yes sure, people understand and acknowledge it now. But I rarely see the good approach of dealing with kids with ADHD.

Now listen and listen closely.
As someone with ADHD, and someone who goes to special ED I can say I see 'normal kids' being diagnosed with ADHD or autism for the smallest things you could imagine. What happens is they go to these expensive schools which costs huge big bucks from government and filling up the que for people with actual problems.

Now we go on to therapy,
that shit is a joke, a real fucking joke, well, atleast before 2010 it was okay but now it is a joke. It is all about it is the problem of the parents the kid has no blame etc etc turning the brats into bigger brats. The kids have to do nothing, they don't have to change. Yeah nice, chug more of that government money and buy pills from big pharma.

Mind you I still support meds for people with ADHD, but the frequency they are handed out to people is insane in my country.
Yes of course you feel dizzy and like a zombie if you use them, you don't have ADHD so you are using them just as someone using weed.

Kid sounds quintessentially Canadian.

>Kid sounds quintessentially Canadian.
No that would be chilling out at time hortons.

Strap therapy

>All mental illnesses are fake

The fuck? I didn't get diagnosed until I was 23 and delusional to the point where I thought I was being watched by the cartel and hypo-manic for weeks. Unless I take medication, I can't hear my thoughts in my head and I detach myself from reality. My room was full of papers I had written and put on my wall. I can't understand socially how to act due to my detachment because I can't take life seriously.

I only got the strap I think twice unless I've blocked out the trauma. But mere threat of quickly became sufficient.

That fake so called disorder wasn't invented yet because children were disciplined and parents weren't criminals for doing so.

ADHD, bi-polar, depression, autism...all bullshit names invented to get weaklings to buy pills and pop them like candy so they are easier to program. It also gave names tonsling around to shame people who called out that bullshit as it started eroding society to pave the way for degeneracy.

In my part of Canada the strap was phased out by 1982 but fear of the strap lingered until 1990.

ADHD wasn't invented yet.

Kids venting off their energy was considered normal.

Of course they were. But they could burn it off because most of them weren't glued to the Atari.

And it worked

They were forced into boring menial jobs like 99% of the rest of the population. Mental illnesses are more detrimental in the modern world where we constantly apply our communication skills and critical thinking. It didn't use to be as much of a problem. You don't need brain pills when you work in a coal mine from 9 to 37 (natural death). Back then you didn't need to be able to talk or write, as long as you were able to grunt. An IQ of 70 was fine.

I distinctly remember the very last time I got strapped all us kids were completely out of hand, mom was tearing her hair out, and dad got home from probably a bad day at work or something and he was just done with us that day. We all got sent to our respective rooms to wait for the strap.

Then he went up to his room and took a crap and changed his clothes and got a strap while we were all waiting in fear. And then he went one by one and you could hear your brothers and sisters getting the strap and you knew when it was going to be your turn.

That's maybe a little bit much for psychological torture, but that only happened once and I'm pretty sure we all got the message.

He didn't say all mental illnesses.

He only said ADHD, which is indeed made-up.
It is perfectly normal for kids to be active and have trouble sitting down and concentrating on book learning for hours on end.
What happened is society requiring children to learn far more than ever in human evolution. - and then inventing performance enhancing drugs to make this happen.

Did you know that there's an ongoing debate among psychological health practitioners to entirely abolish the DSM because, thanks to advanced imaging (fMRI etc.) we now know definitively that the vast majority of so-called mental illnesses are indeed fake.

This movement was blocked, because it would have meant no mote massive pharma profits, no more mental health industry profits, no more usong psychiatrists in court to lock your ass up, etc. etc. etc.

I got sent outside all day to run around and be a boy.

For us even though we never got the strap, we had older brothers who did and the urban legend of the strap was more impressive than the punishment itself.

>See, it's a leather belt with holes in it, and when they whip you it suck up your skin into those little holes and you bleed.

That left us 3rd grade kids in pure terror.

Bet you were a little cunt though weren't you

As someone working in a special ed boarding home since 2006 talking to colleges that work there since around 1980 and I can tell you it changed, it's fucking crazy.
Before 2000 actual ADHS cases where close to 0. That diagnosed with it at the time would today be cases for a closed juvenile mental ward
When I started in 2006 we had in the group of 8 kids 3 cases of ADHD and one case of mild bipolar mixed with ADHD so thats 4 kids in total on medication and actually two of them where hard cases (bipolar ADHD and one only ADHD) that actually went nuts, all the other where milder cases where they where no able to function in a normal school setting but not over the top.
Today my group of 8 kids is 8/8 medicated, all 8 of them diagnosed with ADHD yet non of them actually have anything that is above
>could be fixed by let them run 2-3h per day outside
I have depressions, suicidal, borderline fucking everything. If a girl cuts herself once she gets the full program, SSRI, Benzos, 3x per week therapy and probably a special council.
Boys have a brawl, 6 months anger management therapy and diagnosed sociopaths with the full program...

This shit got out of hand around 2012. They decided we don't need boarding home placement anymore and called it integrative schools (every retard goes to a normal school) and at the same time diagnosed every child that laughs a bit louder with ADHD and ask for a out of family placement...

Back to the main question:
It wasn't a big issue till the 2000s. Just like transgender till recently. The big cases got taken care off, the rest was put away as typical teen angst, go out play kiddo.

heh, that's pretty good. But if you're the ultimate authority, then I believe in never making an empty threat. Once kids learn they can be little shits without consequences, they'll do it just to shit on you.

>As someone with ADHD, and someone who goes to special ED

Underaged faggot get out

I make my kids stand facing the wall with their arms out for a few minutes. If they protest or disobey the instructions of the punishment, they get spanked on the butt. Haven't had much issues with them acting up in months and they behave in public 90% of the time.

>hypo-manic
Not even a thing
>Characteristic behaviors are extremely energetic, talkative, and confident commonly exhibited with a flight of creative ideas.[1] While hypomanic behavior often generates productivity and excitement, it can become troublesome if the subject engages in risky or otherwise inadvisable behaviors.

AKA being normal

But on the flip side, is it better to oversubscribe than allow the children to go through life thinking what he is doing is "normal"? I would have given anything for medication when I was a child, instead of waiting until I was an adult and finding out everything I was doing wasn't "normal".

Why are you calling it the strap. It's just a spanking with a belt

Seems pretty hit or miss. I had a friend who got drugged up at a young age. You could tell right away whether he was on or off the pills. But he was like a little lost boy even as an adult who could never know which one was the real him.

I'll tell you one thing. From the standpoint of brain formation, even if you were a nutter as a kid, it's probably better if you waited until your brain was at least mostly finished forming. It usually takes until about 25, give or take.

>tfw aspergers

My dad is ADD.

They would just sit him in a corner.

He said ADHD not Autism.

They wiped it out of them... AND IT WORKED!!!

Super Nintendo Entertainment System and God-tier cartoons

CHILD MOLESTER

That wasn't an 80s thing.

We had the term hyperactive. Didn't know any kids on medication for it. It was just something teachers and parents had to deal with.

No, just pushing pills onto everyone for minimal problems is always wrong. Some go completely unnoticed but in reality that would mean to medicate every single kid that once laughs too loud just because it could be ADHD or or or or...

Blessed by kek himself

>does scolding/mildly yelling in a 1v1 sit-down talk work?

Hell no. Not with the little hellions I grew up with.

Fpbp literally this, such thing didn't even exist that's an invention of modern psychology to pamper to bad and lazy parents

>People ITT suggesting spanking.
Studies have proven it only makes things worse.
Do not violate the NAP!

more on this please

I'll say it again. Lobotomization. This shit was real, and that's how they dealt with hyperactive kids.

Checked. Also, this is all I need to do. Take videogames away for one day and they fall into line within a day.

this

i had a lobotomy and now im fine

you spanked them

Have you ever read the book, "My Lobotomy?" Its by a guy who got a lobotomy at I think about 12. It's not long, and it's really interesting.

Even has a picture of him the doctor took with the icepicks sticking out of his head.

My mother used to scream at me in my face while I was backed up into a corner and my father beat me with a belt. At 17 I decked my mother when she tried it, and knocked out my father when he was being an annoying drunk. At that point he hadn't beaten me for years because I was too old for that and I could defend myself. Now I'm a functional human who owns a house whom my parents themselves helped fund despite those instances. Beatings and abuse helps IF your parents genuinely love you, otherwise you're just left with a child who has no doubt their parents hated them rather than a child upset they got beat up but still knowing their dad will still buy them a car and mom will still cook for them every day.

>only makes things worse
>(((studies)

>Don't discipline your kid, goy. Let us do that for you. Here. give them these pills to make them more manageable.

I was diagnosed ADHD as a kid and put on ritalin for 10 years. I felt like a fucking drug zombie the entire time. Once I hit puberty and actually started having some balls I immediately and flatly refused to ever take them again.

ADHD at worst is a descriptor for having an overactive mind or lacking focus. Later in life it leads to exceptional multitasking skills because you have years - if not decades - of your brain working multiple tasks simultaneously because that's simply how it's always worked and you've learned to harness it.

My mom also beat the shit out of me every time I got seriously enough out of line to deserve it. Same to my brother.

Know what happened? We learned a healthy respect for people capable of beating our asses from an early age. Later when she knew she couldn't physically discipline us anymore, her disappointment that we weren't living up to the men she knew we could be was enough to get us back on the right track.

And if that didn't work, our 6'3, 240 lb Maytag foreman Uncle - who in our youth we had witnessed rip the door off a flipped vehicle with his bare hands - was usually enough 'encouragement' to get our shit together.

Spanking works until the kid is old enough to reason for themselves.

>Studies have proven it only makes things worse.

because they use examples where they slap them for all kinds of shit.

I got only slaped a couple of times, e.g. when I nearly burned down the kitched or was trowing a tantrum for over an hour demolishing my room.

Thats when you deserve punishment, not when write a bad mark or come to late or other trivial shit.

>Found out Dad beat my Mom
>Realize why my cunt of a mother beat me as a child
>Now have crippling depression, anger issue, and anxiety
>tfw when you wish you had supportive white parents

by doing nothing since it's extremely rare and just a scam for dr shekelberg to sell you pills if little timmy doesnt like school

I threw the worst tantrum and threw my room apart. My dad took one look at it and told me I wasn't coming back out until I cleaned everything up, and closed the door.

Ever since then I've been a big proponent of working with children to fix whatever they did wrong. I think it's a really good way of teaching both skills and the value of your own labor.

this

>until I cleaned everything up

that was a given from the start

>Ancient Greece or Rome
In Sparta, children were put to work and training from very young ages. Greeks knew that children have endless amounts of energy and it needs to be funneled. Keeping them at home with a fucking tablet is suppressing natural urges.

Later on, even the Ottomans knew it. Jannisaries are a prime example. Mehmed II took the City at the age of 21 leading many still boys.

The medical Jew wants to castrate your children and turn them into docile, effeminate faggots.

poor, dumb niggers and white trash hit their kids. My parents didn't hit me, none of my extended family hit their kids and all of us have turned out well. Almost nobody I know with a middle class upbringing got hit, but just about everyone with poor, uneducated parents would get hit. Be it with a belt, switch, whatever, they were physically punished.

Dumb people don't know how else to punish their kids so they have to rely on their animalistic instinct to hit them until they act better. It doesn't work, it just makes violent kids or overly fearful kids. A child will understand if you tell them why it was bad to do that thing, or take away a toy/put them in timeout for a little bit.

I know you'll all throw out a bunch of anecdotes about how you got hit as a kid and now make a million dollars a month, but studies have shown that it isn't effective and it shouldn't be done.

A friend's parents gave him coffee to drink when he was a hyper kid in the 70s.

We were always made to put away our toys and stuff, but that was a somewhat unusual move. I would normally have expected to be punished and then shamed by having somebody clean up after me like I had just pooped my pants and needed to be wiped or something.

It was at a young enough age that the discipline methods were shifting to expecting me to take beter care of myself. I don't know maybe I was 4 or 5?

Extremely rare? Not in my school. Half the kids had ADHD and an alarming amount showed signs of mild autism. The doctors probably handed diagnoses and prescriptions out like candy. Adderal is like Xanax. It's a temporary fix that hurts you in the long run. Only to be used for severe cases.

If your rule is
>NEVER ''HIT'' YOUR CHILDREN EVER
you're going to have a bad time.
Perfect balance lies in moderation. Your paradigm is just as extremist and just as bad as niggers who only hit them because, you're right, they don't know better.

And since you went a bit anecdotal, I'll go too. I was hit 3 times in my life. When I reached the age of 19, I realized I deserved all 3.