At $75,560, housing a prisoner in California now costs more than a year at Harvard

latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-prison-costs-20170604-htmlstory.html

>That’s enough to cover the annual cost of attending Harvard University and still have plenty left over for pizza and beer

>Gov. Jerry Brown’s spending plan for the fiscal year that starts July 1 includes a record $11.4 billion for the corrections department while also predicting that there will be 11,500 fewer inmates in four years because voters in November approved earlier releases for many inmates.

Who knew that making prisons for profit would yield such outcomes?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/books/00/12/17/specials/foucault-prisons.html
nytimes
archive.is/KEzLU
youtube.com/watch?v=yqQa_0gM6hg
youtube.com/watch?v=YQcZzS7eqfY
topdocumentaryfilms.com/biggest-prison-system-history/
youtube.com/watch?v=hQxtRcfBIXY
youtube.com/watch?v=WJHY9O3xwjk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Housing a prisoner shouldn't cost the state more than 5k a year, and that could be made better by profits of prison labor.

Prisons themselves are a business.
Those prisoners families have to pay for everything except meals, lights, and water. Prisoners themselves don't pay for shit.
I think that's why a lot of people with petty offenses still get jail time.
They're money.

Send prisoners to Harvard instead. Problem solved.

>because voters in November approved earlier releases for many inmates.
Is this the best possible timeline for Cal-apocalypse?
>guns banned
>state is 35% white
>single payer healthcare, economy destroyed
>prison degenerates and dopeheads roaming the streets

That's ok. You'd probably get a better education in jail

>Those prisoners families have to pay for everything except meals, lights, and water.
This is the biggest load of shit that has ever been posted here.

Governments pay for prisoners, not their families you utter retard. Governments get their money through taxation and trade.

Because white countries are soft and all about 'human rights' then they're given a cushy bed with a ps4 and 3 square meals a day where they can laugh about their crimes with their pals.

Kill them all.

Jail are a business in america, literally privately owned.
>early releases will fix the problem
woho, dangerous criminals who now have a masters degree in being criminals thanks to their short stay in jail hanging out with other criminals roaming the streets.

This would include wages for guards,clerical staff,doctors and equipment hopefully bought locally.

Actual prisoners don't cost too much and as long as they're used as the cheap labor that they should be to repay their debt to society it's a pretty good deal.

Serial offenders should be put down though, there's no point in keeping alive an animal that can never learn to be human.

As someone who knows low lives in prison they get three squares, they are given pair of clothing, some personal items usually in a small amount (bar of soap/shampoo in a tiny bottle/etc), lights taken care of, water taken care of.
The prisons will offer them ways to buy extra clothing, personal items, snacks, and other things but they must get an outside person to pay.
Not to mention the phone system. Calls aren't free and they don't do the collect call shit directly. You must submit forms, the person on the outside must make an account, and pay fees before had.
I'm not sympathizing with criminals but there is no denying that the prison system has been change now to milk the prisoners with families on the outside for what ever they can get.

A properly placed round of 9mm only costs 15c.

Toothpaste's right you know...

If we let the prisoners free, we can all go to harvard!

Talking about American prisons Union Jack.
May be different in your country.

genius

Alternatively

KICK ALL ILLEGALS OUT

Use prisoners to do all the agricultural manual labor, the more they produce, the more their sentence is commuted.

This will offset their economic burden and gradually cull the crowded prison population.

Fucking Straya gets it.
And yes most of the fuckers in prison either shouldn't be in there (petty offenders) or serial offenders who see prison as home.

>muh appeals
>muh assestment
>muh appeals
>muh multiple trials

an execution costs more than housing a criminal for 20 years

>Prisons themselves are a business.
>Those prisoners families have to pay for everything except meals, lights, and water. Prisoners themselves don't pay for shit.
>I think that's why a lot of people with petty offenses still get jail time.
>They're money.

were 133,000 state and federal prisoners housed in privately owned prisons in the U.S., constituting 8.4% of the overall U.S. prison population.

This. California co unions are insane. some of these guys are pulling in 250k plus a year. It's not the prisoners that are expensive it's the public employees. Just like teacher unions in chicago

Unacceptable. It costs more to house a dirt bag than I make in a year.

You hear people say "I ain't afraid to go back to jail" all the time. No wonder, they're living large in there.

We should make prisons so fucking horrible, that if you're lucky to get out then you never, ever want to go back.

Sheriff Joe in AZ had it right. They should live in shitty conditions, eat shitty food and be on chain gangs. Take advantage of that free labor and fix our infrastructure.

They should have no access to tv, internet, weight rooms or any type of recreation. They are there for punishment and they should be punished.

fucking kek, a conversation about prisons and prison user appears

is execution for all crimes one of the final utopian redpills no one is willing to discuss?

USE THE FUCKING LABOUR OF THE INMATES FOR A PROFIT!

THIS IS NOT FUCKING DIFFICULT!

nytimes.com/books/00/12/17/specials/foucault-prisons.html

Thank Michel Foucault and his regressive 'postmodernist' views of prisons.

'If they're being watched, they won't misbehave'..

'They should be rehabilitated instead of punished'

'Lawbreaking is not an accident, a more or less unavoidable imperfection. Rather, it is a positive element of the functioning of society.'

Fucking marxists. Not even once.

Here's the archive

>nytimes com/books/00/12/17/specials/foucault-prisons.html
archive.is/KEzLU

Jails are actually for segregation from society so they can't cause any more harm until they're reformated, not for punishment.

They try but they have to limit it to road side beatification projects. If they tried to get some real work out of them like they did in the old days liberals would throw a fit and by proxy be protecting murders and rapists. Like they always do.

>deport illegals
>use prisoners to work the fields

problem solved

Okay Stalin

we should just start integrating forced labor camps 2bh. stop paying china to make iphones and instead line up a bunch of nigs in chains and force them to work on a assembly line. or ship them to africa and force them to mine for diamonds.

It sickens me that a year at harvard costs nearly 75k a year

place is trash tier filled with white guilt sjw scum

i'm sure you'd know all about that my Aussie friend, considering who your ancestors were

>Want to kill people that have abused other's rights
>Get compared to a mass murderer

Ok Bernie.

t. Gulag Gulagovich

Liberals will pull the "muh human rights" card for people who have bashed innocent people in the head over a smartphone or raped a kid because they were wearing shorts.

30% of prison population are illegal semi human non US citizens

>lets respect human rights by violating human rights

This, prison is basically a college for criminality and making good meals with shitty ingredients. You guys ever try a top ramen tamale? It's pretty damn good.

years ago one of my first jobs was as a brickies laborer, went to sleep when the boss picked me up after he told me we're working somewhere different today, woke up going through Long bay maximum security prison gate bays
>after ages get cleared to go in
>we're in the middle of the main yard in a 10x10 metre cyclone fence enclosure, just a shitty one like job sites have
>building piers for a building going in
>two old gay dudes just sitting there outside the fence winking at me
>sketchy dude keeps walking back and forth looking up at me, every time i catch his eye he grabs the fence and goes 'what? you think that fence is stopping anyone?'
>everyone walking past asking if I have a lighter, dont respond, ask if im scared, what are you a bitch
>heroin addicts in recovery lining up for their methadone shot and other pharmaceuticals
>massive lebanese cunts pumping iron all day, feeling is tense and scary as fuck, every day we were there, heaps of shit happened

kind of related FUCK going to prison, just seeing it from working there for a week I don't have any idea how people survive in there

>they're given a cushy bed with a ps4 and 3 square meals a day where they can laugh about their crimes with their pals.
Fucking wish. Those are prisons in some Euro countries, maybe.

US prisons are two to four people sleeping on hard mat bunkbeds in tiny stone cubes, no entertainment except for books if even that, you do menial labor like stamping license plates for eight hours a day, the food is the cheapest shit you can imagine, and you're let out into an empty yard for one hour a day hoping that nobody stabs you. Very obvious cliques develop and supremacists of each race and religion hang out in their own groups in the yard, waiting for a reason to kill one another. You cause any trouble and they shove you in a tiny cage for however long. There isn't a single inkling of wanting to reform the inmates among the staff, each inmate is just a ticket to get more money out of the government all the while more health and mental care facilities close down.

You sure as fuck won't see anything like a game console in 99.9% of US prisons. Ours are an institution to just beat people down harder and make them more inclined to do criminal shit so they'll end up in jail again and earn the prison more money from the state.

>those rights weren't null and void the moment that person decided to take a life

>tfw live near long bay
>some areas of the prision have ocean view and I don't

JUST.

>pasta or rice :1 $ max
>1 x 3 =3 $ per day
>3 x 360 =1080 per year
how americans so bad add calculation while have so many jews?

>implying everyone in prisons is a murderer
>implying anyone gets a free pass to violate human rights because someone else did

should just execute all of the lifers

How max security prisons should be:
>remove all the current freedoms prisoners have which is the root cause of gangs, smuggling, and other shit that goes on inside
>daily prison labor, refusal means solitary or other punishment
>cells are smaller and only single person to keep criminals from interacting/planning with each other
>only form of entertainment should be books

the high costs to house inmates in USA are mostly related to security and safety of the staff.

Good. Let them leave the union and fuck themselves to death with taxes.

>make them more inclined to do criminal actions again
The inmates do it to themselves, but you should look for a couple studies that support the notion.
Some humans are more predisposed to violent crime than other, I'll let you guess what the biggest predictive factor for that is. Hint: It's not poverty.

Leaf has it right, you need to crack down in order for rehabilitation to be possible. Make it like Japanese prisons. If they go against the rules, they get punished harshly.

this affirmative action stuff is getting a little overboard

It cannot possibly cost that much, that's can't be true. Housing a prisoner should cost like $3,000

Nobody knew it
youtube.com/watch?v=yqQa_0gM6hg
Prisons for Profit (2014)
youtube.com/watch?v=YQcZzS7eqfY
topdocumentaryfilms.com/biggest-prison-system-history/
youtube.com/watch?v=hQxtRcfBIXY
youtube.com/watch?v=WJHY9O3xwjk
Reports on VICE....

Well hey, its a pretty good deterrent.

>privatize prisons
>middle class taxpayers pay more
What did (they) mean by this?

It would be nice to just use exile as a punishment again. We won't kill you but you are no longer part of this society. Have fun.

>At $75,560, housing a prisoner in California now costs more than a year at Harvard

And yet the prisoners resort to such things as burning newspaper and mixing the ashes with water and shaking it every few hours to make their own ink, for both tattoos and writing. One wonders where all the money is going, when your meager meals and deserts become bargaining chips in the inmate economy.

hmmm, t really gets the dendrites dangling...

>Japanese prisons
literally yakuza recruitment & time-out box

This

>dangling dendrites

Also things like counseling and very small rewards (eg. a newspaper or walk in the yard) available monthly for good behavior or those who seem interested in self improvement.

We should bring back labor camps desu

Pls be respectable

>voters in November approved earlier releases for many inmates

This sounds more reprehensible than the rest of the article tbqh.

Basically
>make prisons unbearable for those who don't want to or just can't be rehabilitated
>but also give those who can be rehabilitated a light at the end of the tunnel, but still unpleasant enough that they never wanna go back

unless you're in Baltimore, then the female guards are prime sugar momma material

Check my bost The less freedom max security prisoners have, the less prisons would need to spend on security (among other benefits).

CA 35% white? Its not THIS bad is it? I live here
Day of the ICE fucking when

lets go baby

She looks like my sister. Not exactly but she can make up into such easily. What did kek mean by this?

thats honestly only because executions are over complicated

>nigger shanks random person on street
>random person dies
>total cost of murder: stolen knife / average household item

>nigger needs to be executed for his crime
>gets to live +20years on comfy prison doing everyday gangstuff
>guy who brutally murdered innocent people have to die the most comfortable death possible, while the medical sector and serveral other sectors make money off of it thanks to political rollercoaster and ((((these)))) all over the place
>total cost: serveral millions or whatever

How hard would it be to shoot the criminal scum in the face directly after the trial, you could run the trial 2-3 times to make sure he was guilty and still save money

San Francisco is the whitest area and it's 45% white 30% Asian
LA is literally like 10% white and its population is huge.

GEE I WONDER WHO PROFITS FROM THE AMERICAN PRISON SYSTEM BEING SUCH A COMPLETE SHIT SHOW OF TOTAL FUCKERY?

They should outsource their prisons to nevada

At this point this might actually have a positive effect

Shockingly enough if you offer people unlimited free money they'll raise their prices. Just like with college loans. But this is obviously the free markets fault.

This. Same with how expensive hospitals bills can be. If obscene amounts of money are involved you know who it is.

America is 100,000,000% fucked brit bro. this shit is rotten to the fucking core.

Looks like they need to start using the death penalty a lot more. Lets start with the niggers and move on to white beta faggots. The goal being to cleanse society of the useless.

I'd also be in favor of punishment via catapult for the Illegals.

Why does it cost so much? Corruption ie overcharging for everything like usual with government contractors?

>end private prison system
>immediate execution (by firing squad, no expensive "ethical" methods) for murderers, rapists, pedophiles, gang affiliates, and other such irredeemables
>no more prison sentences for non-violent drug offences
problem solved?