I'm thinking of joining the Baptist Church

What are some things I should watch out for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vsrwgd7rnR0?t=5m1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If it's anything like Southern Baptism...
>A fear-based belief system leading to a complete lack of introspection and examination of your own faith
> Non-stop religious virtue signaling that forces EVERYTHING in Baptist life to be about Jesus, including the fucking music you listen to, as long as everyone else can see you doing it
> Embarrassingly paranoid searches for The Devil's influence everywhere in popular culture, including innocuous children's shows
> Fear-driven denial of anything scientific that doesn't mesh with a childlike, literalist interpretation of the Bible.
If that sounds great to you, go for it.
> t. Southerner who grew up surrounded by Southern Baptists

Confessional Lutheran or Orthodox

The absence of the one holy catholic apostolic church

OP you're better off joining some sort of non-denominational mega-church than a baptist.

Basically, fire up google maps and type "bible church" and write down any within comfortable driving distance and give each a shot.

the "bible" part of a bible church is really all that matters, as they tend to actually try to teach you faith through interpretation of the bible and not through fear or tradition.

I destroyed a SB church. One my parents grew up in. Want the story?

You just have to choose your church carefully.
Avoid the Mega Chruches, the ones operating out of a school auditorium or strip mall, any old one that never got air conditioning, and any snake handlers.
Other than that you should be good. Also expect less reading from the bible and more the preacher talking about his fucked up childhood and how this particular story relates to a bible verse.

Just because you grew up Christian doesn't make you so. Read the Bible and see how the Israelites repeatedly fell away from God. I bet you've never read the Bible cover-to-cover despite growing up as a Christian.

You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’”

- Matthew 15:7-9

Destroyed as in vandalism, or you broke the congregation's faith?

Niggers

Baptist Church is for dindus.
Become Protestant instead.

Watch out for 'prosperity gospel' and works-based doctrine.

Broke the faith. Splintered the church into two factions.

Protestants are delusional heretics and tools of Satan. Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Oriental Orthodoxy, These are the branches of Christianity. If you're not one of these you might as well become a LARPagan for all the good it will do you.

Get ready to donate money. I think baptists tithe

Well shit, with Southern Baptists that's not exactly hard, if it's only two factions.

Came to post this

Try a Methodist church

Catholicism literally has so much shit that isn't even related to the bible that it is barely even a bible based doctrine at all.

9youre going to see a lot of unsaved people playing church. They are going to have an invitation at the end of the service and they will end you up in Romans 10. They are going to make you do a work (prayer) to get saved. Then they will persuade you to do another work (baptism) because Jesus commanded the disciples that. Go to tsabs.info first, listen to the gospel. THEN, go to that Baptist church and your eyes will never be more open. If you want a "red pill", do this.

- experience.

I'll share regardless, I enjoy it.

>Grandpa is usher & accountant for church they've gone to since the 50s. Parents married there
>Go out inna woods on camping trip with preacher, the 'gang' of followers he had, and a ton of kids for camping, and grandpa. I'm 14 at the time.
>Grandpa asleep, I'm bored, we go out for a walk
>Preacher begins telling kids the satellites passing over head are fallen angels looking to commit unholy acts
>Kids terrified, ages 5-10
>Back at camp Preacher & gang start talking to the kids.
>"Don't wander into the woods, an EVIL RAPIST escaped the nearby prison!"
>Preacher keeps getting into drastically deeper detail. Kids are TERRIFIED.
>I confront him, "That's not very Christian to do. Can't you find some other way to keep them from wandering? A ghost story?"
>He lays down the law that he is in charge here and that is a perfectly Christian thing to do
>I ask, according to what Bible?
>THE HOLY KING JAMES BIBLE SON, IM A PREACHER, I KNOW MY BIBLE YOU DONT KID.
>Ask if its superior to every Bible
>YES
>Even the original Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek versions?
>YES KING JAMES BIBLE IS PERFECTED
>... okay, well I don't think you are being very Christian even by the KJV. You are terrorizing these children and thats a pretty mean thing to do. You should be an example not mean.
>Argument continues as his group gangs up on me verbally abusing me
>Go to bed crying, I couldn't stand up to a group of angry men and I lost my nerve

>Grandpa finds out from them about how 'evil' I was and 'possessed by Satan.'
>Grandpa stands up for me, asks me the story, I tell him
>Grandpa confronts the Preacher over it
>Church gets word of what happened, some take my side, some takes Preacher's side
>Grandpa & Grandma leave the Church they had been a part of since 1950s, as do my parents who were married there in the 1970s
>Church splits, entire town splits
>5 new churches have formed since then
>Preacher left town permanently

I love my Grandpa.

I grew up Southern Baptist and that's about half right. I wouldn't really say it pushed fear on me and it wasn't really paranoid of pop culture but the literalist interpretation is definitely true. They went to see the ark in Kentucky recently which just reminds me of when I was a teen and my sunday school teacher thought I was a heretic for not seeing any problems with evolution. I don't hate my time there but I've gained a richer understanding of the Bible since leaving and trying other churches though.

>5 new churches have formed since then
Now that's a bit more impressive.

Secondary Schisms I wasn't a part of, but those didn't happen until mine.

>muh sola scriptura
No one cares about your Protestant heresy.

The lines on the wrapper look like a penis.
Typical of the papists.

...are you seriously that dense?

I'll give you an actual answer OP.

I go to a Baptist church in BC. It's very liberal and it has some problematic doctrine. I don't believe traditional independent baptist churches a-la Anderson exist in Canada, so if you want that, give up now. If you do find one by chance however, let me know. Because as far as I know the Canadian Baptist Conference is completely pozzed, many of them have female pastors, no dress codes and teach evolution.

Here is what I do recommend however: watch out for what the preacher says, because many of them unknowingly will preach heresy. Do not be afraid to confront him about his sermons (not immediately obiouslyv, once you're fairly settled in) because you are an ambassador for Christ and the Bible. Watch out for constantly changing churches, just find one and settle in, and unless something catastrophic happens don't change Churches.

Lastly: Watch out for Catholic churches, you might crave tradition, but a tradition of anti-biblical doctrine is not one you want.

Bn

>going to church

Baptists are literally the worst. You should go for it.

>the bible is literally the worst

Top kek. That's a sign of a real robust religious group right there. A kid broke them apart by asking questions.
Do you vomit fourth this autistic hyper-religious stuff to everyone online or just exclusively in places it's a total non sequitur?
If you went to a Southern Baptist church that wasn't entirely crazy, more power to you. I've seen so many bad ones, and so many screwed up people who went to the bad ones, that I'm definitely biased.

Orthodox and Catholics only. Protestants get out reeeeeeeeee fucking shallow heretics.

Baptist churches are hit and miss.

I found a good independent baptist church where everybody owns guns and voted Trump. Openly hates liberals and stuff like that.

But MANY churches are infiltrated by New World Order shills.

>ortholarps and cathocucks only

>some cuck born in 1483 got so butthurt about not being able to divorce his wife starts a church
that's definitely the one you want to join. much better than the conman who got a special tablets only he could read or the pedophile arab.

>he doesn't know about churches in the south

I'm so sorry for you, user.

Tell me when protestants agree with the Church fathers

I am waiting

Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt.

this BTFO Baptis

"Since then these things are manifest to us, and we have looked into the depths of the divine knowledge, we ought to do in order all things which the Master commanded us to perform at appointed times. He commanded us to celebrate sacrifices and services, and that it should not be thoughtlessly or disorderly, but at fixed times and hours. He has Himself fixed by His supreme will the places and persons whom He desires for these celebrations, in order that all things may be done piously according to His good pleasure, and be acceptable to His will. So then those who offer their oblations at the appointed seasons are acceptable and blessed, but they follow the laws of the Master and do not sin. For to the high priest his proper ministrations are allotted, and to the priests the proper place has been appointed, and on Levites their proper services have been imposed. The layman is bound by the ordinances for the laity."

Source: St. Clement, bishop of Rome, 80 A.D., to the Corinthians

"Our sin will not be small if we eject from the episcopate those who blamelessly and holily have offered its Sacrifices."

Source: Letter to the Corinthians, [44,4]

This is very true. Southern Baptist here; some can go off the deep end and end up like describes, others push too far to the left and start being progressive shills. (we've got a few in my Church, it's disgusting) Basically, if you have a good grip on the Bible, visit the church a good few times before joining, talk to the Pastor about the Church's particular doctrinal beliefs, and make your own assessment. If the people you talk to there voted Hillary and take about white privilege, leave. If they think that Harry Potter is the work of the devil, leave. (Well, I think with how the author's been acting that particular group may be justified now) Overall, just make sure the focus of the Church is always on the Bible and the teachings of Jesus, not their social/political issues of choice (probably good advice for all Churches.)

>Adult baptism
Utterly blasphemous

I actually just had this conversation with my wife. How embarrassing is it to have your church be founded on the desire of a tyrant to fuck another women because his current wife couldn't produce an heir.

Anglican is literally a cuck-tier denomination.

Check the fruit of sola Scripture out

Catholicism is literally paganism

I grew up in a Baptist church. Not bad people just limited vision and constricted belief system due to denominational doctrine. They believe the bible is true for the most part, but all the stuff Jesus said and did is for the average believer doesn't really apply to modern times. Some kind of expiration date involved. Now it's an all intellectual belief system. My advise: Go find a non-denomenational home church where people are real and can share and be themselves and read scriptures without a jacked up seminary view of the bible.

And just how embarrassing when this is your history

>Tell me when protestants agree with the Church fathers
They don't, protestants are of the same ilk as Catholics.

Your source:
>Source: St. Clement, bishop of Rome, 80 A.D., to the Corinthians
my source:
>the bible
>john the baptist and jesus and all the early Christians were blasphemers
catholics, everybody

Like this I assume

I hope you like following a religion that goes against the ten commandments by allowing idolatry

the worst thing is they never address the synagogue of satan stuff
like jesus is prone to hyperboles and exaggeration about people being devil worshipers

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

Chapter 13. The funeral pile is erected

This, then, was carried into effect with greater speed than it was spoken, the multitudes immediately gathering together wood and fagots out of the shops and baths; the Jews especially, according to custom, eagerly assisting them in it. And when the funeral pile was ready, Polycarp, laying aside all his garments, and loosing his girdle, sought also to take off his sandals,— a thing he was not accustomed to do, inasmuch as every one of the faithful was always eager who should first touch his skin. For, on account of his holy life, he was, even before his martyrdom, adorned with every kind of good. Immediately then they surrounded him with those substances which had been prepared for the funeral pile. But when they were about also to fix him with nails, he said, Leave me as I am; for He that gives me strength to endure the fire, will also enable me, without your securing me by nails, to remain without moving in the pile.

Meanwhile.:.::

Veneration != worship

heretic scum

>twisting words
Truly a protestant.
Adult baptism practiced by protestants is not the same as what john the Baptist's adult baptism.

>i'm gonna convince this guy that the catholic church is the true way by quoting catholic texts
are you dense

quote me the bible, and then i might pay attention

Wtf is that supposed to mean? Sounds like a pagan catholic cuck projecting

meanwhile:
youtu.be/vsrwgd7rnR0?t=5m1s

"muh Virgin Mary idolatry" is exactly the kind of ignorant, mindless shit you get from the worst of Baptists. You can tell it's motivated by tribalism because no matter how many times you explain it to them, they return to it.

It means the early Christians are idolaters who make images and worship people

Chapter 13. The funeral pile is erected

This, then, was carried into effect with greater speed than it was spoken, the multitudes immediately gathering together wood and fagots out of the shops and baths; the Jews especially, according to custom, eagerly assisting them in it. And when the funeral pile was ready, Polycarp, laying aside all his garments, and loosing his girdle, sought also to take off his sandals,— a thing he was not accustomed to do, inasmuch as every one of the faithful was always eager who should first touch his skin. For, on account of his holy life, he was, even before his martyrdom, adorned with every kind of good. Immediately then they surrounded him with those substances which had been prepared for the funeral pile. But when they were about also to fix him with nails, he said, Leave me as I am; for He that gives me strength to endure the fire, will also enable me, without your securing me by nails, to remain without moving in the pile.

Ex-Baptist (Catholic now) here. AMA.

>leaf posting about the g*rman that single-handedly destroyed western solidarity and brought on centuries of infighting

this bTFO bapshit

"This food we call the Eucharist, of which no one is allowed to partake except one who believes that the things we teach are true, and has received the washing for forgiveness of sins and for rebirth, and who lives as Christ handed down to us. For we do not receive these things as common bread or common drink; but as Jesus Christ our Savior being incarnate by God's Word took flesh and blood for our salvation, so also we have been taught that the food consecrated by the Word of prayer which comes from him, from which our flesh and blood are nourished by transformation, is the flesh and blood of that incarnate Jesus."

"First Apology", Ch. 66, inter A.D. 148-155.

"God has therefore announced in advance that all the sacrifices offered in His name, which Jesus Christ offered, that is, in the Eucharist of the Bread and of the Chalice, which are offered by us Christians in every part of the world, are pleasing to Him."

"Dialogue with Trypho", Ch. 117, circa 130-160 A.D.

Moreover, as I said before, concerning the sacrifices which you at that time offered, God speaks through Malachias, one of the twelve, as follows: 'I have no pleasure in you, says the Lord; and I will not accept your sacrifices from your hands; for from the rising of the sun until its setting, my name has been glorified among the gentiles; and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a clean offering: for great is my name among the gentiles, says the Lord; but you profane it.' It is of the sacrifices offered to Him in every place by us, the gentiles, that is, of the Bread of the Eucharist and likewise of the cup of the Eucharist, that He speaks at that time; and He says that we glorify His name, while you profane it."

-"Dialogue with Trypho", [41: 8-10]

Hellfire

I grew up Southern Baptist. You remind me of the edgy beta fedora faggot who sat alone in the corner and looked like he going to shoot up the school.

You would be a lot happier if you accepted Jesus into your life instead of being such a tryhard rebelling against your parents for not getting it man.

Also stop smoking pot.

Sounds more independent Baptist than Southern Baptist.

Except baptists are stupid

Southern Baptist Convention doesn't allow women to serve in leadership roles so your picture is misleading.

Sounds good to me. If that what it takes for an area to remain somewhat traditionalist...

>Adult baptism practiced by protestants is not the same as what john the Baptist's adult baptism.
I don't speak for Protestants, I'm a Baptist and baptists aren't protestant.

Regardless, I'll explain it:

Baptism was the replacement for circumcision.
Circumcision was never done upon jewish children, but fully grown Jewish men who were ready to take upon an outwardly mark of devotion to God, aka a covenant. When Jesus came he said that instead of circumcision of your foreskin, you need to do circumscion of the heart, and he pointed towards Baptism being this replacement, something you should never do upon babies, because sprinkling babies with some holy water to "scrub away" original sin is not biblical, nor has it ever been (because why wouldn't the jews have done it too?).

>western solidarity
>Europeans fought about stuff for a little bit again until they all calmed down
who cares? "European solidarity" is not biblical and elevation of your race above others is idolatry.
>a leaf grew up southern baptist
how? does the SB convention even exist in Canada?

Absolutely Heretical

Fun. You won't be allowed to have any more if you become a Baptist.

>bla bla bla the "church fathers" and the One™True™Church™ is the only way to heaven, this wall of text i'm spamming will prove it! biblical authority? what's that?

Sup Forums is a Christian board. You should have stayed back on the_donald. OP is accepting Christ into his life and you're trying to damn his soul because you don't want to be alone in your miserable existence in Hell.

why did you stop being a christian

Perfect example of a Baptshit.

OK how do you explain all the pagan idolatry? The ten commadments, the only spoken word of God, are rules the Catholic oppose with their idolatry.

No church is a good church.
And your music is shit.
Get fucked worshipers.

Baptists are still stupid

>i hate the bible
t. catholics

Is this idolatry

i joined a pretty comfy baptist church recently. quality sermons/teaching and good fellowship.

Baptists hate the bible

Sola ego

the gods of the vatican are repurposed from the roman pantheon
they're pagans user, you can't spin it with redefined/made-up words

>Strawman

Sounds like my Baptist cousins.

Like, I'd love to go back to the religion of my forefathers, but if that's what I have to embrace...

OP: Make sure to look up the convention of your church. You're looking for CNBC (Canadian National Baptist Convention). They are in partnership with SBC and the best you can get in Canada.

Most other churches are under United Church of Canada which is just cucked nonsense that doesn't actually care about scripture. They allow homosexuals, women, import muslims, etc. They're just a mess.

Just make sure you're joining for the right reasons (you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour). Don't join because "I don't believe but I want tradition" or "I want a qt Christian wife".

You will be asked to join a lot of weekly activities, prayer meetings, etc. Sunday Service should suffice but it's never a problem to be invited to too many things. Especially when a lot of them will help to expand your knowledge and understanding of scripture.

This is a god

Chapter 3. Ignatius sails to Smyrna

Wherefore, with great alacrity and joy, through his desire to suffer, he came down from Antioch to Seleucia, from which place he set sail. And after a great deal of suffering he came to Smyrna, where he disembarked with great joy, and hastened to see the holy Polycarp, [formerly] his fellow disciple, and [now] bishop of Smyrna. For they had both, in old times, been disciples of St. John the Apostle. Being then brought to him, and having communicated to him some spiritual gifts, and glorying in his bonds, he entreated of him to labour along with him for the fulfilment of his desire; earnestly indeed asking this of the whole Church (for the cities and Churches of Asia had welcomed the holy man through their bishops, and presbyters, and deacons, all hastening to meet him, if by any means they might receive from him some spiritual gift), but above all, the holy Polycarp, that, by means of the wild beasts, he soon disappearing from this world, might be manifested before the face of Christ.

if you you believe the bible why do you teach things against it?

things not found in the bible. not ONCE:

>infant baptism
>relic worship
>rosary
>indulgences
>veneration of mary
>confession
>tradition above scripture

Obesity.

All bapshits hate the bible

Tradition matters though.

Without it, you end up with (((Unitarian Universalists))). Or at logical extremes, Oneida Community or Münster.

Do you watch Steven Anderson?

And What city are you in? Make sure it's IFBC andddddd use Jesus is savior.com for a list of proper churches in your area.

I goto the best Baptist church in BC. Anchor Baptist in burnaby.

>gods of the vatican

Who? Look, I agree Papal submission and infallibility is hella stupid, but honoring saints/theotokos and asking them to watch over you is not idolatry. Sorry friend.

>2017
>willingly becoming a baptist

I would consider killing yourself immediately

Saint worship is literally heresy

>Circumcision was never done upon jewish children
Luke 2:21

>Canadian National Baptist Convention

I go to a church under the Baptist General Conference of Canada, and I found some of their doctrine a bit problematic, for one they have an assistant female pastor.

Is the CNBC the more traditional wing of Baptists, or are they both similar in nature?

Funny....

12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon’s porch. 13 And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them. 14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and women.) 15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them. 16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.

From Act 5