Sup Forums

Sup Forums
Why is Britain so ugly? Ive been all over the UK, and most cities apart from the very most central part of London look so depressing

Other urls found in this thread:

zillow.com/homedetails/174-Colonial-Dr-Woodstock-GA-30189/51098553_zpid/
youtube.com/watch?v=Wpx40CNGaw4
zillow.com/homedetails/256-Lakeside-Dr-Waleska-GA-30183/60044048_zpid/
rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45948117.html
zillow.com/homedetails/395-Lem-Edwards-Rd-Winterville-GA-30683/79989645_zpid/
zillow.com/homedetails/7004-Monarch-Ct-Knoxville-TN-37918/41597636_zpid/
zillow.com/homedetails/412-M-St-Louisville-KY-40208/2096952028_zpid/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It seems to alternate between ugly tenaments and gray soulless suburbs

It all feels very industrial, in the worst possible way

These blocks seem to be absolutely everywhere. Even Poland which suffered decades of Communist rule has many times less of these monstrosities than you Brits.

Do you like the style?

These pictures are all from completely different parts of Britain

The place where i live is so bland, run down shops left and right. there barely any colour here

These seem to be absolutely everywhere

y u do dis

Rochdale is dreadful

>imblying boland in any better

>it all feels very industrial
That's because this was the birthplace of the industrial revolution, we became a overpopulated shithole very quickly, thankfully Maggie Thatcher modernised us and we're returning to normality.

Nobody actually owns their houses. Also, terrible zoning policies.

Because there was a need to house huge numbers of proles as cheaply as possible when the country was nearly bankrupted by a series of devastating wars.

But if you look at the towns in the Home Counties, the Cotswolds, the Lake District, the Peak District, etc, you see a lot of pretty places.

that looks like france

Im not looking to project you fool, I know there are things wrong with Poland. But objectively, most of Europe - and yes, that includes Poland - are much nicer in comparison

>Poland
Fucking kek m8

That is sweden

After WWII the cities were bombed out, so they needed housing fast.
these awful places were rushed through.

How much would this house cost in Bongland?

>$393,500
>5 beds 4 baths 4,276 sqft

>You must see this inviting, warm, family home w/ rocking chair front porch on corner lot in the sought after Eagle Watch subdivision. Beautifully updated kitchen w/ stain cabinets, SS appliances, hardwoods, & granite. Enjoy morning coffee & watching the birds from your screened porch. Hardwoods throughout main level. Separate living & great rooms, formal dining room, large bedrooms, & huge walk-in closet with extra attic storage in the master suite. Nicely finished basement w/ family room, workshop, full bath & 2 BR's. Home meticulously maintained and is move-in ready.

zillow.com/homedetails/174-Colonial-Dr-Woodstock-GA-30189/51098553_zpid/

But you have to concede my friend, as soon as you enter anything near a sizeable city, it looks like complete garbage

Birmingham pictured

Most of Britain is ugly as fuck, especially the city residential areas. The rural areas are nice though.

Not really, roofs don't look like that in France. Anyway, it's the Cotswolds.

Plenty of England is idyllic, it's just not the populated areas. Every country has shitty parts.

youtube.com/watch?v=Wpx40CNGaw4

probably close to a million or over, no joke

I used to live there. I didn't think it was all that bad.

Absolutely correct

>3 beds 5 baths 5,522 sqft
>$272,500

>Modern 3 story lake view cottage in High Pointe! Classy rustic charm! Dark-hued hardwood floors throughout. Cedar plank walls. Stone floor-to-ceiling fireplace. Massive master retreat with 2nd stone fireplace, divine bath & fabulous private, vaulted & beamed porch. Three level of covered porches boast stunning lake views! Granite & stainless kitchen (with refrigerator). Snazzy bunk room with built-ins. Double .5 acre lot offers grassy backyard. Gated resort community. Includes two kayaks to enjoy beautiful Lake Arrowhead. Up to $2K in Closing Costs w/Pref Lender!

zillow.com/homedetails/256-Lakeside-Dr-Waleska-GA-30183/60044048_zpid/

this would be a 8/10 housing bloc in Bolan my good man

The buildings reflect the people: untermensch genetic garbage.

This could really be the main street of most western cities

Its all recent though, you look at somewhere like Egham, and the high street looks completely different in the 1950s...

Of course, but outskirts of cities look terrible everywhere. Like this place on the edge of Tokyo.

thats cute

t. cornishman

Wow this looks and sounds perfect. When can I move to the UK?

It wouldn't cost £300,000 that's for sure, not even in the cheapest areas of the north.

In southeast you're looking at millions prob

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45948117.html

About half million here.
90% for the land and 10% for the matchbox house.

UK is too small for houses to have all that land to themselves, they just don`t exist over here.

The ones that do are Mansions which cost between 1million and 4 million quid.

What part of the Britain uses US-style car license plates?

how can a slav make threads like this when every single bit of housing in eastern europe is high rise flats which look worse than these

commie lefty government up until thatcher

>Why is Britain so ugly?
because of the 1960s revolution where post modernist architects cucked our politicians into believing everything old was bad and systematically decimated everything with character and replaced it with the shit you see.

I'm not really bothered by the style of our architecture. Size and quality are important to me. Right now I live in a small Victorian terrace house from the 1880s. Not only are the rooms small, there's only one toilet, not much closet space, and of course the odd quirks that old houses have, like walls and floors that aren't perfectly straight and level.

I used to live in a maisonette built in the '70s and it was the opposite; not pretty but very practically, with plenty of space and never even a spot of mould.

>4 beds 3.5 baths 5,200 sqft
>$375,000

>This a beautiful custom built traditional home. Features extensive crown molding, A true chef's gourmet kitchen with walk in pantry room, SS appliances, custom cabinets and a library/office room. Third level has large master bedroom with his and her walk-in closets. Two other bedrooms with adjoining bathroom. Walkout onto two enormous decks on the front of the home great for entertaining. This beautiful home has a large in-laws suite. Also has a 3 stall barn for horses well fenced around. You will enjoy the country, but still your only ten minutes from downtown Athens.

zillow.com/homedetails/395-Lem-Edwards-Rd-Winterville-GA-30683/79989645_zpid/

Small villages and historical cities, such as York looks nice. It really just seems to be newer cities or densely populated ones.

it's very depressing, I just stay at home and fantasise and watch films of the old days

I mean, if not for the weird squiggly lines on the street and the horrible weather, this could be every other apartment building from the 60s/70s in a small to medium sized European city. They all look like that. To be honest, it's actually one of the better looking ones.

Housing in the South East and North is extremely cheap. South West tends to go to retard prices, because of commuters to London.

Here's the non-meme answer: WW2. Entire cities and towns were levelled and destroyed, so there was a need to quickly rebuild after the war and house people. That's why we have so many ugly grey council estates and "pre-fabs", as we call them. These were meant to be a temporary solution, but I guess we just never bothered to do anything since. This is opposed to Germany, who decided to rebuild buildings exactly as they were. Don't get me wrong, we have many, many beautiful towns and cities, but our major population centres (mostly filled with poorer, working-class people) tend to be pretty shit. Also, obligatory:

>Poland

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Land wise it's worth it. People tend to buy those properties so that they can develop upon the land. It's not like buying a comfy cottage in Cumbria.

Again, instead of addressing the point of the thread, you decide ad hominem. Objectively, the UK is fuck ugly.

Poland is not beautiful, there are much nicer places in Europe, but a lot of it looks like this. Also bear in mind we have no immigrants or "guests"

We've still got some of those prefabs in Liverpool. It's really dreadful that it exists. My Granddad was telling me that they were told they were only going to be there for a few years.

Oxford and Cambridge are also very beautiful.

Not just the effects of the war. In the '60s and '70s a lot of older properties were condemned in the same way they were in the US. So a considerable amount of the older housing stock in densely-populated disappeared that way.

This is wrong though as like i said it was the 1960s where the biggest moves were made. Go watch the "why i hate the 60s" bbc 4 documentary on youtube.

Another issue is that there's loads of newer houses built around older ones, and it doesn't blend well.

Those areas tend to attract a lot of wealthier people. It means that nicer houses can be built. It's not like Manchester or Liverpool where the council just builds loads of ugly houses for gibs me dats.

There are pretty and ugly parts of any country. Saying that the UK is objectively uglier than Poland is not technically accurate.

That doesn't look remarkably different from a station plaza in most towns in the UK.

every single Polish picture you've posted looks like any fucking town in the UK, you fucking retard

youre thinking of the high rises, when the government destroyed the beautiful red brick georgian terrace houses from the 1800s, and moved all of the people into those brutalist high rise flats

the council houses were infact made right after the war when our gubmint had no money. theyre cheap, low maintenance, and did the job. but hideous

Is that a picture of Scarborough?

Because Europeans have no culture or history. No build beautiful things you need a sense of past and a unique identity. This is why Americans have the most beautiful architecture.

Youre the numbnuts because I posted the most generic town

You can lie to yourself all you want and post seaside town pictures, but you know deep inside most mainland towns look like shit

'50s through '70s architecture may be considered ugly now, but at the time they were considered stylish. The goal in mind was to improve living conditions for the general population, and improve housing capacity due to the growing population.

theyre fucking hideous newbuilds which are made to look like they have a bit of history to them.

but please come to Cornwall and call it ugly

still looks better than the isle of paki

well it's good job like only 1% of the country is mainland towns then

This is my exact childhood suburb Eagle Watch. Weird.

1. You don't belong in Britain. OKAY!?
2. What makes you think Poland's buildings are better?
3. Please kys.

>mfw have enough money to buy that
>in the uk I'd get a closet for that price

The architecture in Oxford and Cambridge may be beautiful, but the cities are so overpopulated (especially the city centers, where most of the nice buildings are) that it is hard to enjoy it.

In fact, the comfiest places are around Oxford and Cambridge.

Do yourself a favour and emigrate to burgerland

Guess it's time to move and get that motorcycle you've been dreaming about.

I don't know - many of the places that I've been when visiting england have been really beautiful. I have family in Whitby, and it's lovely there.

Several million.

In my part of canadia that would be a million dollar house, minimum.

The problem is that I'd have to live in America.

There are certainly worse places to live. Smalltown America is paradise, imo.

Since you hate it so much please tell your dirty people to stop immigrating here.

Have you seen the average working hours? I'd have to work like an extra hours a week at least. I'll be moving to Denmark.

10 hours*

The States is so big parts are obviously going to be beautiful. I'll probably buy a place there at some point, but I don't want to have to live in Bumblefuck Nowhere.

I want to be able to still live my life if my car breaks down

It's almost like the UK is more dense with houses older than the US itself

You'd have a point if it wasn't coming from a member of the commieblockmasterrace

>and most cities apart from the very most central part of London look so depressing

It started in the Victorian era with ugly terrace housing built en masse for workers in the new massive factories.

I have thought about why the UK is uglier than most other places in Europe quite a bit, and nothing obvious sticks out to me, to be honest.
One potential thing is that the lower class people are basically incapable of housing themselves, and so were living in squalor until all of the masses of social housing was built for them in the early 20th century, by which time building materials and aesthetic philosophies were such that the end product was very ugly. But this is just a theory.

It could just be as simply as the British psyche having less time/concern for aesthetics.

Having said all that; here's a nice place. Pic related.

PS - another theory I have is that we actually were quite advanced with our infrastructure, and hence managed to tarmac over EVERYTHING for convenience, but this left many places looking very ugly.Whilst in other countries the extent of ugly, cheap, practical tarmac might be less.

Because it was once a great country. You wouldn't know anything about that, Poland.

the danish are lazy fuckers yes but have fun paying like 50% tax

What are you on about? I've street viewed the shit out of poland, most of it looks nice, is sparsely populated in comparison and not a nigger or sand heretic to be seen.

>4 beds 4 baths 3,260 sqft
>$265,000

>The Perfect Home for the Large Family! This home features 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths. Main level has a formal living room, dining room and a beautiful Tuscan inspired kitchen with white cabinets and a huge island. You will never get tired of sitting in the sunroom that runs the entire length of the house and has wall to wall windows. Enjoy your coffee while looking down at the beautiful landscaped lawn with a small creek running through the backyard. The downstairs offers a cozy sitting area with a woodburning fireplace with insert, wet bar, fourth bedroom and full bath. Within walking distance to Beaver Brook Golf & Country Club. Too many updates to mention. You will have to see it for yourself

zillow.com/homedetails/7004-Monarch-Ct-Knoxville-TN-37918/41597636_zpid/

Essentially the hellish combination of Le Corbusier being fashionable and his machine for living, a massive requirement for housing postwar, consensus politics so nobody opposed anything, bureaucrats in charge of designing schemes and zero money to be spent on quality. We completely forgot how to build cities you'd want to live in, and in fact still haven't rediscovered how. I fucking hate our architects and town planners.

A nation's architecture reflects it's character. Ours screams indifference and incompetence.

The problem is you consider that pic 'lovely'.

Working less hours isn't lazy m8. It's smart. Who the fuck wants to be at work all day. I don't mind paying higher taxes for various services and a high trust society.

Pic related is the type of housing most people live in here.

off to ride my bike down the river Cam. God bless Cambridge

Hopefully he will smite the mega-mosque they are building from Saudi money up the end of my street :/

No lad

What if Sup Forums had its own church?

>$175,000
>7,425 sqft

>Think of the possibilities! Possible Student housing? Wedding chapel and reception hall? Special Use? Located close to U of L, Papa John's Stadium and Churchill Downs. Many recent renovations in the blocks surrounding the property. Currently a large church (in a mostly residential neighborhood) that has been lovingly renovated and cared for since the purchase in the 1990's till the present, with the help and input of the congregation. Beautiful Entry to worship area with stairwell to each side. Large Worship Area, Office, Nursery, and 2 Restrooms on Main Level. Fellowship Hall, 2 Classrooms, Kitchen, 2 Restrooms and 3 Utility areas on Lower Level. Please view photos.This church will accommodate a medium to large size congregation. 2 HVAC sytems, newer roof and siding.

zillow.com/homedetails/412-M-St-Louisville-KY-40208/2096952028_zpid/

Why do you have this raging boner for unpolished red bricks?

Pic related is selling for just about 325K in my neighborhood. Look in towards northeast if you're actually serious about becoming an expat - we have the best housing prices (terrible property taxes though)

Its relative to where you are. In traditionally industrial cities you'd find cheap, small and ugly housing for the plebs working in the factories. I've been to Poland and I've seen the depressing commie housing blocks in Krakow. They look so much worse than a council flat in the UK. But you've also got the grand and beautiful catholic churches every 10 feet.