The death of the skilled trades

So it seems like there are no decent skilled work jobs anymore. Everywhere you go its underpaid compared to what things were 15 years ago. Work experience required for most jobs even when an individual goes to a trade school. Its no wonder people are leaving the jobs behind for white collar desk work. Nobody expects journeyman pay when they start, but compared to what people used to make a $10hr apprenticeship just isn't worth it.
What do you think Sup Forums? are we headed for a disaster because of underpaid high demand work?

Other urls found in this thread:

toughnickel.com/industries/Choosing-an-HVAC-Career-Tools-for-Getting-Started-In-Heating-and-Cooling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't care about the reason I just want a collapse so I can collect some scalps

BRLand still has pretty good prospects concerning trades, specially welding and such, but that might be just because we're late for the industrial bandwagon.

Why do you think US trade jobs are going underpaid? Is someone hoarding all the money or is it flowing elsewhere ? You'd think that trade jobs would actually be increasing given they are not becoming any less necessary.

No it's not an issue. With capitalism the pay follows the need. If there's more need than better paying jobs will show up.

Your argument is one for getting all of these illegals OUT of our country. They are the ones taking less pay and lowering the value of many services. They're being purged, slowly. There are certain jobs that machines are never going to be able to take over. I think there is still hope left for the skilled trades.

unionize cuck

That's not even the argument, you retarded MAGA cuck. The argument is that high demand work such as trade work (carpentry, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, welding, etc) are grossly underpaid these days.

Unions don't benefit anyone but themselves. I was in UFCW for a little while and they didn't help with shit. If you want to get into IBEW, you better know someone. Unions suck ass.

In the last years these men are getting paid more than some office rats in here

>every job in America is a meme job

Oh I know that. I could go into an apprenticeship and do it for about 4 or so years and get paid the entire time in contrast to going into debt to get a degree to try to impress my neighbors and family.

Of course it's relevant. An influx of illegal workers who take less money for these jobs is directly related to these services devaluing on the market. They're being sent home, and that should help the market adjust. Fuck off with your hurt feelings.

Strong disagree. In my state, they are on the rise. Leftists and liberals don't respect or go into them but welders here for instance can make as high as $60 an hour if they are very skilled and have the right certs.

Why hire you when a Mexican just shows up and knows how to do everything better faster cheaper works harder then any white man ever. I pay them Penny's on the dollar there is a never ending supply of cheap Mexican labor. they can frame, dig, weld, plumb, auto mechanic, fly airplanes, basically anything a lame fat white male can do. As long as there are mexicans I will never hire a white boy again.

I have no idea where the money goes, but im 100% certain they dont want to pay out for any type of young talent. like most American companies they try to get labor as cheap as possible. and you cant exactly outsource machinist, welders, carpenters etc.

Here come da judge, here come da judge.

Can i get /pols/ opinion on a BA in English or history?

Only do that if you're intention is to go to law school afterward.

Your exactly rite. but the need...or so ive heard now it seem everywhere is higher than usual with the boomers getting close to retirement. and wages have not changed or increased with inflation and growth for a good long while.

Show me an illegal plumber or electrician. Or illegal apprentice worker.

Yeah, I weld and take 45 000 Korun for a comfy 7.5 hours job where I sit in leather chair in clean workshop and during weekend I go there to play Steam games on my tablet for twelve hours.
Sometimes people tell me that I should aspire to go higher, but my only answer is 'Why?' it's just not economically feasible in any way.

People like you should be hanged.

Good if you want to make lattes for a living. Or if you want to try for the Bar Exam

what did he mean by this

trade school and skilled work jobs still exist.

got a few buds in their early/mid twenties who work as welders for space ex

pretty good pay

If you work like Sales Representative - work considered a good job in here - you need most likely need to have college degree and some years of practice, after 5 years you can make around 1700$ brutto per month(it's kind of a lot here), if you are working as welder you laugh at them when they offer you 1700$ per month, if you work contracts instead of classical employment you can make twice that amount easily.
If I didn't work as programmer I would get myself some Apprenticeship even in my early 30's

Exactly. I have been in the field for 15 years. I have engineers that start with the company and years later I'm still making 3 times what they are. I have zero debt

I'm sure starbucks has great benefits.

Yeah and then a year or two down the line everything is falling apart or it's constructed so horribly that you have rip everything out and start from scratch because Paco and Pedro threw shit together and hoped it all worked

But that's in your country. A sales rep here is basically like a damn car salesman or a retailcuck.

Or didn't get the right permits and your shit is majorly fucked.

dude apprentices around me make close to $20 an hour, where the fuck do you live?

Honestly, I wish I had gone to trade school. Like yeah the work is hard but, you're out in a year or two and as long as you aren't a complete fuckwit, challenging job, steady pay increase.

My 23 yr old son just landed a job as a plumbers helper a couple of months ago. They have almost 75% turnover in the last 2 months. He's now the 2nd senior laborer making $15 an hour. Bottom line; there are jobs out there but the American workforce is now full of entitled drug adicts afraid of a hard days work!

I mean those that make big bucks long term deals. The rest of them gets like 800-900$

Where is that at?
Laborers are mostly junkies or alcoholics that get their first paychecks and bounce off to their dealer or to the liquor store to never be seen again.

Around here skilled trades are making more than family physicians once they got their certs. The key is to become self employed. My electrician charges me $130/hr and I'm sure his overhead is minimal. A truck and a phone is likely the majority of his overhead.

Union guys get $40/hr with benefits coming out the ass translating to something like $65/hr once you factor it in.

Ultra Satan meant that trade job salaries haven't adjusted to modern economic conditions and current needs.

jersey

Ah. Delaware here.

Also, to add to this, many smaller companies prefer you to have some construction experience before they hire you over going to trade school as a lot of trade school shit is not relevant to real construction, just like school in other subjects.

So grab a shovel and do some Mexican trench digging.

see
I worked in a union for long enough to know it doesnt benefit anybody but the dreggs of the company.

And I bet he writes that truck off on his taxes as a business expense.

My point exactly.

I can tell that you've never done any blue collar work.
I'm tired of going to work and seeing a ton of millennial babies trying their hand at welding because they heard it "pays well", or the dumb illegals who are too dumb to do anything else. You don't get into a fucking trade because of the pay. You get into it because you enjoy it and you have a knack for it.

Your lucky to have found a job that pays you well enough and allows you to fuck around to some extent.

I make more money as a bricklayer than I did as an electrical engineer and bricklaying's not even a skill, I literally just bought a mixer and started laying bricks for people and I've never not had work

>5 years experience and a PHD in splicing wires to install car stereos
>"yo hombre I steal... I mean intall stereos in Chihuahua I do it for extra cheap off the books"
>lol ok you're hired

That's like saying a doctor didn't become one because of the pay, they did it because they love it. And that would be a fucking lie.

what state and do you know of any Machinist/tool maker work there? im not opposed to relocating. Im in THE state apart from Cali. to be a tool maker and i havent found shit, and when i do Communication is fucking abysmal.

>there are jobs out there but the American workforce is now full of entitled drug adicts afraid of a hard days work!

sure
Target pays their sales associates $10.50/hour and then some old fart wants to pay his helpers $11-12 for sweaty, dirty, stressful work
cue complaints about everybody being drug addicts and wortheless

anyone here a mechanic? im interested in learning but i dont know where to start, also is it too late for me to start now im 19

This. (Ignore flag, im a burger vacationing a thing in europe).

Im a self employed carpenter, I get $20 an hour cuz by undercharging I can get a lot of the jobs the big contractor groups skip over. Frankly if I hired on with one I could get $30 an hour for my skills but I like being my own boss.

I've TRIED getting jobless or underemployed guys I know jobs. Inevitably they quit within a few weeks. Nobody ever sticks the job out long enough to become skilled and get paid better. Contractors literally cant find enough guys to do a lot of jobs right now. Virtually all the skilled workers are like 35 or 40. So with most young americans being unskilled and utterly without real work ethic the big contracting groups are hiring out all the entry level positions normally going to teens and 20 somethings to mexicans.

Quit baiting. we all know a mexican cant read G/Mcode or macro B or electrical plans. and i seriously doubt he knows how to fix modern HVAC systems. theyre not taking the jobs you actually need to learn a skill but dont spend years in uni for. they are taking the common jobs. which stil hurts the economy.

It was piece after tiniest piece of progress at a time starting at the bottom and backbreaking effort in previous hellhole where it broke me, and switching jobs when it could give me nothing more.
The thing with welding is that you can be a hack working for minimal wage your whole life or you can actually improve and progress to a point where employers will call you for interview, not the other way around.
An artisan in TIG welding is worth his own weight in gold, and will never know unwanted unemployment.

>underpaid high demand work

The problem is an artificially high SUPPLY due to immigration.

Even white collar jobs are underpaid these days, and pretty much in the same situation as skilled blue collar jobs. Just look at the videogame industry, or the state of CGI firms. Hours have never been longer, pay has never been worse, and truth be told, you would probably live a better life working a shift at McDonalds in your hometown, working for fewer hours and making relatively more per. Except those jobs are going away too.

It's really not a white/blue collar thing, it's just that employers have finally caught on that people will literally pay to work and self-sacrifice their physical and mental health if it means working in a job they like. So they take full advantage of it. The dumbass systems engineer designing the simulation tools for some animation system at EA or Ubisoft could be doing the same kind of work at NASA, but it's not vydiagaemz!!!1 so instead he'll work for scraps and never have kids, pushing himself off the gene pool for good.

Bixnood muhfugga

A community college would be good. And no, you're still young as fuck. I'm 25 and debating on whether to get my degree or fucking just learning a trade like a real man.

In my area, apprenticeships are hard to come by. You have to know somebody that knows somebody. Union pipe fitters start at $24/hr after 5 years they hit journeyman at around $42/hr

That's for union, you dicksucking faggot. There are apprentices that are nonunion.

The difference is that you can work at target for 5 years and still be getting paid the same as when you started. If you stick it out on a construction crew and really apply yourself in 5 years you will have moved up from lumber stacker/floor sweeper and will be getting 20 to 30 an hour as a skilled carpenter.

But nobody wants to stick it out for delayed gratification when low hanging fruit is available.

Of course there isn't. It's all going to niggers and spics who do an absolutely abysmal job.

It's definitely relevant you fucking retard. Illegals are willing to work for shit pay, and they dominate low end trade jobs in certain areas. This drives down wages across the board. I'm sorry if this doesn't fit in with your libcuck world view.

Niggers are too lazy to learn a trade. They're laborers and even that's too difficult for them. My uncle works for a pretty large home builder and even he said that there's no niggers working for that company at all. None.

Where are you from ? Because I am finding the complete opposite, Im 1yr in doing HVACR after graduating tech school. I got over 5 offers from Residential and Commercial HVACR companies before I even graduated.

I sealed a deal doin Commercial HVACR at 19hr to start, I made my way to 22hr in my first year. I now just recently quit that job and took a two dollar loss to go to a company I really wanted to get into, the owner at my new job said 20hr to start and 24hr after my first 30day trial period.

1yr in and Im at the company i dreamed about, got all the benefits. And have a RI Gas journeyman, RI oil journeyman, over 800hrs logged on my RI refrigeration Apprenticship, have EPA Universal, OSHA 10.

You have to make yourself valuable, have your own tools and work hard and be willing to learn and persue licensing.

That's because your uncle is the nigger.

Exactly. Actually to my knowledge the local target now starts employees at 12.50 hourly. Why should i take a job at $13 and hour after going to trade school and putting almost 2000 hours in. and then not be guaranteed said apprenticeship and possibly not get comped for said hours.
For example. i Had an interview this week for a toolmaker position this week and they asked me what i knew. I can run their machines better than they can. I literally taught them things. then they offer me $13 hourly no guarantee of apprentice. 3 different places now have done this. its fucking ridiculous.

Illegals can't even read a fucking electrical blueprint or even speak English.

>HURR ILLEGALS DRIVE DOWN TRADE WAGES

You're a moron and only lead would solve your idiocy problem.

I make $33 an hour to sit at a desk and shitpost from my phone.

Nah not really. He's got a brand new work truck, new work phone, expense account whenever he wants tools, and does whatever he wants. You're the nigger here, Portugal.

as a 25yr old myself and OP who just got out of trade school. go for trade school. the longer you wait the harder it will be when you have to start at the bottom. but also what the fuck do i know. i posted this thread for a reason. Something seems wrong with Jobs.

>$10hr apprenticeship just isn't worth it.
You start as an apprentice when you are young, childless and can basically live in a car. 10 bucks an hour is enough to get you started.

You wanna work for faggy ass Target? Be our guest. But enjoy the fact that you're easily replaceable, wagecuck. When you become an apprentice, you're putting in 2000 hours per YEAR. And 144 hours PER YEAR in the classroom. All while getting paid.

WTF is a Korun??
How many cigarettes can you get with one?

Probably a pack or two.

i went back to school to learn hvac and passed the course easily, got certified in epa type i, ii, and iii and i still couldn't get hired. from what i can tell you just have to know someone who does it and hope they can get you a job.

central Wisconsin. Im in cnc and too/die though. field is different i guess. cost of living is lowish here but thats no excuse. Im starting to think the demand everybody talks about isnt actually in demand anymore.

I understand there are people that make more than me and have it easier than me, but im the kind of guy that likes working with his hands and being in a new place mutiple times a day.

I like the freedom of Commercial HVACR, im all over new england meeting new people and doing differant things every day.

I did my class time ahead of time. I was more or less trying to reinforce a point that targets pay is BS. If i had an apprenticeship now i wouldnt be going to school on nights as i already have the pre-reqs. i would be working full time under a journeyman. But like i said. nobody wants to pay for shit. and school is 2000 hours that should be comped from your apprenticeship then. putting you at closer to 65% journeymans wage rather than 50%

There's just not a lot of work that needs to be done. There are more people than jobs.

>Underpaid
>High demand

That shit was in high when you were a developing country. Since you're no longer a developing country, there's not as much demand for developing it.

Simple.

You need to take a quick loss and go back to trade school, go for Electrical, Plumbing, HVACR. You need a trade where computers and robots wont replace you. HVACR is good because the weather creates you work, you will always be in demand.

Where are you at?

>target sales associate
You're not an actual salesmen. Have some pride in yourself faggot!!

I live in houston.

It's per year. Until you have completed your apprenticeship. At least where I am.

>Estonia not thinking that trades are in high demand.

I don't even know what the fuck your country is good at.

And you can't get work in HVAC? Weird.

You have to have all your own tools, make a good resume. Call companys and go to interviews dressed for work.

yeah. gave up trying to find someone willing to take me on as an apprentice after two years, now i'm manager at a shitty little pizza shop.

Per year is not the issue. but the state allows you to be compensated by percentage of journeyman's pay based off of previous education. so its still 4 years. but i would start higher than somebody with no knowledge of the trade to begin with.

>you need all of these tools, man
toughnickel.com/industries/Choosing-an-HVAC-Career-Tools-for-Getting-Started-In-Heating-and-Cooling

Wow, shit you can get at Harbor Freight. Big deal. Have someone write you a resume. Submit resume. Have them calling you.

That's your own fault for not having enough stamina to stay in the game of looking for work.

Mig welders, truckers and regular construction workers are the most worthless, disgusting people in this country

t. Tig welder

Well no shit. Did you complete your apprenticeship? If not, then you're not getting journeyman pay.

shit man, i bought a manifold gauge, decent field piece meter, and plenty of other new tools. They want you to have actual experience before they'll hire you.

When major corporations started pinching penny. My father and grandfather where career maintenance men for a steel mill. They made enough to support huge families with big houses. That same job today makes barely a livable wage.

Truckers can fuck right off. My dad worked for a company in the northeast and they sent him on a suicide trip up a fucking mountain when he was just learning the rig.

Im not going back to trade school a second time. Thats just fucking silly. Machinists arent going to be replaced any time soon by robots....we already use robots.