Why do religious people need a crutch to help them explain the universe and reality?

Why do religious people need a crutch to help them explain the universe and reality?

Are they too afraid to admit that human beings have little to no idea what the universe truly is?

Why they need to pretend to know what's going on, how is that better than being a liar?

It's kind of sad people need a crutch to be a morally and ethically good person. Some religions also forgive, allowing the person to do something wrong, and gain forgiveness later.

Crutches are for the weak.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Friday_Devotion
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can't do that mate
Society will either have a crutch, or puke one out and use that one
It's literally not possible to make a happy society without religion

The morale must come from somewhere. Scientism is also a way to pretend they have an idea what the universe really is. Religion is no better or worse.

Turn to the Catholic Church, my friend, and pray before a eucheristic adorition (or just a statue of Jesus) and pray just ONE thing and you'll get it - guaranteed!
Try asking for something that truly aches you in your heart. (I know It helped me out!)

Ask and it shall be given - but you have to ask!
Knock and it shall be opened - but you have to knock!
Seek and you shall find - but you have to seek!

If Jesus cannot awnser your prayers, he is no God. But to my own experience he has anwsered mine. I wanted to be a writer so I prayed for it one day to angels, saints, mary, christ until eventually I was contacted by a publisher three days later of my prayers - they turned out to be scammers, though, so I don't know what the Lord meant by that, lol. (And while it's true I had contacted them a year earlier - and like the scammers thy are, they tend to recontact their clients, even if they decline) they hadn't contacted me in months UNTIL that one prayer of mine. Make of that what you will.

But if you will not believe me - then believe in your own result. JUST ONE PRAYER - that's all it takes to get into the higher life. And when you make it, and things happen (and they will) remember that a CATHOLIC user told you these things. (Make of that what you will)

Also if you want to somewhat maximise the effect of holiness I'd suggest tending to the First Friday Devotions from now on. Tend the first friday mass of nine consecutive months and you'll be in the clear with Jesus in death (plus bonus blessings too, yay!)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Friday_Devotion

Hail to the RISEN LORD!!!
And PEACE to people of GOOD WILL!!!

HOSSANAH IN THE HIGHEST!!!
BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!!!

HOSSANAH IN THE HIGHEST!!!!

Maybe I'm biased because I can comprehend not knowing, accept it, and still live my life in the pursuit of happiness and the fun of financial success, while not having a drive to hurt or control others.

It kind of is. Science is a better system if universal explanation. You could destroy all copies of the bible, koran, etc and erase it from everyone's memory, and in 100 years, it would not resurface. Maybe something would come close, but it wouldn't be near the same.

On the other hand could destroy all scripture on scientific evidence, erase it from everyones memories, and in 100 years it would all be rediscovered.

Actually to even compare the two is like going to the hospital, dying, and them asking you if you'd like to go the religious or science route and both being close to saving you.

This
learn
how in to theology of Catholic Church my brother

No. There are similarities between religions that would be resurfaced. The religiousness is eternal for humankind.

No it is nothing like comparing it to a hospital. They work on different levels. The purpose of religion is not to heal broken bones. It's purpose is something else, more fundamental to humanity.

This, it's more of a heart than a crutch, Arabs may live in the scorching heat, but their hearts are cold as ice, and that's why their societies are so cruel and unjust

Science is an explanation with factual and proven hypothesis and systematically processed conclusions via peer review and scrutinization. Religion is archaic stories created thousands of years ago to try to explain the unexplainable universe, as a crutch for lack of technological advancement. It's not the ancients fault they didn't know the stars were balls of fusion, they didn't have the resources to figure it out. They needed religion.

Although, some people even today need it, as a crutch to beat alcoholism and drugs etc. I do see it relevant I guess, I just wondered why people need to pretend to know what isn't known, instead of just accepting we have no idea.

Are you stupid? Are you insane?
Do you think that anyone on the rational side of sanity thinks prayer has some kind of fucking magic power?
That you're some kind of WIZARD, and wishing to your GENIE IN THE SKY with your hands clasped together has SOME KIND OF MAGIC POWER, doopidee doo, because thats how childishly stupid you sound, I have to stoop to this degree of condescention to mock you because anything less would be indistinct,
some kind of MAGIC POWER formed by you holding a particular set of ideas (beliefs) in a PARTICULAR magic being?

"He who comes in the name of the lord"
Are we still doing phrasing?

Worst yet, your reply looks like a copy-paste. I wonder if I should start doing the same?

Science and religion aren't the opposites to each. You can believe in both if you like. If you don't believe in religion what do you believe? in nihilism? That isn't really possible, since you need to have some values to care enough to survive. Else you starving to death.

And the point of faith is not to know, it is to believe. There is paradoxically a strength in not knowing. The struggle of believing make the faith more important. Doubt just make faith more meaningful.

Existentialism is pretty dead on with how I feel. I believe we are here to experience, and to do it the best we can. I'm also agnostic, I don't know if there is a consciousness that created the universe or not, it could all be a simulation to forget and relearn for entertainment purposes for all we know. I could theorize all day about what this truly is, but that's all I can ever do, because I have no idea, and neither does anyone else.

It is a human way of thinking, and there is an enormous power in faith. Even if you don't believe you know that the psychological effect is very real. So faith is very useful.

Nietzsche explains.

Christians are broken people.

Do you even know what abiogensis is you blue pilled faggot. Tell your kike boyfriend hello

Meme magic is real you cunt.

>allowing the person to do something wrong
Thats called sin the way you describe it.

>abiogensis
fascinating how amino acids can be found in meteorites like seeds for planets.

>blue pill
yea yea yea, you're the one who willingly fails to see the truth, and pretends to know an answer.

I am also agnostic, used to be atheist. Belief in a purpose is something. Even if it is no more that the belief that we are here to experience. Everyone have to believe in something. And that is the first step towards religiousness. As soon as you think there is a purpose the door to questions about why and who opens up.

Some religions forgive sin

>> stupid fucking fellow American
>> doesn't know shit about depth of literature

Nietzche said We Killed God because of faggot psuedo-scientists like you and OP

Why do Atheists insist on attacking racism and sucking nigger dick?

If you sencerely repent God will forgive you. Religion itself cannot forgive you. Ameriflags have brain like little children .....

"Racism is so dumb lel SCIENCE!!"

You sound 13. Leave your basement and maybe you're nihilistic attitude will change

Jordan peterson redpilled me about this btw. I went from atheist to agnostic very quickly.

Oh, real fucking interesting. How does an amino acid come from a non-living object

Fucking idiot checked it

You must do more than just "repent" since Jesus instituted 7 sacraments while on earth you must receive the sacraments and be part of the one true holy apostolic church of God.

"muh star trek!"

Is it any wonder Atheists are so universally hated?

Never said which religion did I? Bulgaricucks can't tech industry or contribute the 21st century. Go buy another murican devd smart phone bitch, and do nothing for the species.

"Join me and save the white race heheheh hold on I need to have a smoke."

Amen brother, God is the ultimate redpill.
Working miracles in my life right now.

>science is the same!
Science proves itself everyday in countless ways without you even realising it.
You have to bend over backwards and warp logic to credit everything to one particular religion and not another

Amino acids are nonliving... What bio degree do you have? Are you retarded?

The ultimate realization is that you are supposed to become the God described in these texts.

>god created man in his own image

It means you breed.

>telling me what to do
No thanks Johny. Im pretty sure you can't even complete simple tasks as getting your diet on track.
Show me where it says that im obliged to find a church at all costs.

Go fuck a tulip, Sea-beggar, you put your magic in your hand and Ill shit in mine and we can throw it each other, yeah?

Your reply was civil, so in the interests of exchange of offer this;
To some people, faith is the most DISHONEST position you can hold.

Its claiming to know that which, neither you, nor anyone can POSSIBLY know, and resting a conclusion upon that 'knowledge'.

Of course when you let the opposition define your position you get strawmanned, but I fail to see how faith is not wholly dishonest for an adult.

Faith is NOT a reliable pathway to truth, and there is no position you couldn't hold 'on faith'.

Did you just completely fail to answer my question and twist it to make a nonsensical insult?

You must be a college goy

Look at this Aussie Kike. Big bad atheist.

Do you not think the origin of life as answered by Evolution is faith based? Sit the fuck down and learn about your abiogenesis god

Who says there is a need to explain the universe and reality?

Truthfully, I began my reintroduction to religion as an experiment, and the results have been that my life is better than it was. If you call religion a crutch and do so as a pejorative, it tosses the baby out with the bath water. If you think you are strong enough to go through life without the benefit of guidance from the church, go ahead and see what it gets you.

Fuck atheists.

I credit all religion (even islam) as holder of some fundamental truth about reality. Truth that science can't handle.Science can infuse meaning and value into the world, still people put value in sciences findings. Where does this come from? Even scientist need to believe in something not grounded in facts.

>You must be a college goy
this explains so much lol

>redpill
See this doesn't make sense though. The redpill symbolizes going against the fictitious world and seeing the world for what it really is. Admitting we have no fucking clue what is going on is the most redpill thing you can do.

Atheists need to be put in labor camps.

>there is no need to understand the world i just take the church's word for everything
You think thats a strength but thats the single most disgusting thing about religion which OP pointed out. Its literally a crutch which makes society feel secure in ignorance.

I agree, atheist pretend to know there is no god, when they have no idea if there is or isn't. They are no better than those who pretend they know as well.

>explain the universe and reality?
that is a common misconception about belief, that is not what we have faith for.

>gleaning your worldview from a webcomic
unironically end yourself

Scientists do believe in something not grounded in facts.

1) Abiogensis
2) Fossils are dated by the layer of strata. And strata is dated by the type of fossil.
3) If the Earth was made of carbon-14, it would disappear in 1 million years, yet it s found in dinosaur bones.
4) A wooly mammoths leg was dated 10,000 years apart from its head. A living snail dated at 26,000. Yet carbon dating proves "ancient religions" that kike atheists claim gave birth to Christianity

How does an amino acid come from living matter you STUPID FUCKING BURGER

No because it was never real and people no longer fall for it but pathetic losers who are weak and can lie to themselves.

There was a time people actually believed and weren't faking it like you fags are.

THAT'S WHY EVERYONE LAUGHS AT YOU CHRISTIANS SHILLS ON HERE.

You're fucking pathetic liars who worship a Jew as creator of the universe and shit. It's pathetic! And you have no arguments. So you just shitpost like Commies do. Christianity is being converted into Communism the way Christians converted pagans, through murder, bribes of leaders, and stupid people wanting free shit.

I understand what you're saying, and we haven't gone for the others throats yet, but I think we are at odds;
It is the case that science and religion are held in contrast, and seem to differ primarily in methodology.

I hold that it is DISHONEST to ASSERT AS FACT that which is not supported by evidence to the case.

This puts science at odds with religion, which IS guided by 'visitations and visions', 'beliefs and prayers' and 'acts of god', which are, by definition un-investigate-able.

Science has a claim to truth in the basis that it offers repeatable models of reality;

The issue is essentially, under a 'god is possible' model of reality,
you encounter a paradox, because
all, and I repeat ALL causality based models of reality become useless and have no predictive value. Why? Because, under this model, X is only X because 'god wills it' so, and this could cease at any time.

There would be no point in any action, as the ultimate results would be inconsequential.
Why pack an umbrella for rain when the weatherman predicts it? That model may not correspond to gods will, and it may be the case that hot treacle falls from the sky instead.

Thats what the 'god is possible' model offers, as it has no predictive value.

Faith is necessary to function. Nihilism is impossible, so even scientist need a belief system that is just "made up". Or rather a belief not grounded on facts and science. Maybe being honest about once belief is more honest, since we all are believing in something.

WHITE MAN YOU HAVE AN ANCIENT RELIGION

YOU STILL PRACTICE IT TODAY

IT'S CALLED SCIENCE/PHILOSOPHY AND NATURE:

Example of Aryan faiths:

>Stoicism (reason as divine)

>Buddhism (moral nihilism)

>Zen (anti-cult)

>Nietzsche's Overman (Will to Power)

>Naturalism (nature as divine)

>Cosmotheism (Dr. William Pierce, evolution as divine)

>Nazism (blood and nature as divine)

>Pythoagorism (numbers as divine, "man is the measure of all things")

All perfectly acceptable alternative to Semitic slave cults.

And for the more Esoteric fag who wants Spiritualism you have:

>Zoroastrianism (good replaced with wisdom of good, evil replaced with incorrect thoughts; the first philosophy)

>Vedda (Brahmanism)

>Wotanism (non-cucked chivalry)

>Druidism (nature as spirit)

>Mithra-ism (divine purity, Christianity stole most of its ritual from)

STOP WORSHIPING A JEW AS GOD OF THE UNIVERSE!

>muh fictional character
Liberals.

You obviously don't even understand the terms. What are you, 14?

No need to get triggered my uneducated friend
Go look up carbonaceous chondrites and amino acids. Use your self learning skills.

Take that nigger's foot out of your mouth, christcuck.

>Faith is necessary to function.
Haha

You've never met a Buddhist or a cat

>t. GOldman Sachson.

I remember that from his book. Struck me as very odd. I bet he was a bit molested by some priest

It was a presupposition of OPs post, but it wasn't backed up... just pointing out that the foundation of his criticism isn't explained

Scientific knowledge is provable (and hence disprovable) and works every single day which is why ppl trust it. It works no matter where u are in the world.

On the other hand ppl trust religion because they were raised in it, and they believe whatever "fundamental truth" they were taught in their region.

Facts accepted without evidence is swiftly rejected by scientific community. Sure, i believe stuff based on faith in my personal life, but i recognise it as whatvit is: superstition. I do not to let it impact my understanding of the world.

Axis thread!

on the contrary, it's the hyper-secular materialists who are terrified that we don't know everything that there is to know.

the religionist takes a punt on what it is that created everything, but to get to that place, they have to concede that there is a higher power of sorts.... the hyper-secular materialist has such an ego, that he thinks his own experiences through his primitive 5 senses, are the only sensory aspects required to detect anything in the universe; that if 1 of those 5 senses isn't alerted, than nothing exists.

such is the incredulity of our very existence, any theory you come up with is extraordinary/ridiculous. the idea a dot mass of everything exploded (for no reason), eventually making human beings with emotions, is ridiculous. yet you've convinced yourself it's as true and rational as 1+1=2.

Protip: Christianity was designed by Jews, For Jews.

And Marxism? Whoa, did you hear that the 70's was 40+ years ago?
Post post modernism would like a word.

Also, we're still waiting on proof that its not the indian god, or the chinese god, or the Martian god, because no ones coughed the fucker up, and we've had film and cameras for over 60 years.

Fuckin damnedest thing, but with the rise of film and literacy, the frequency of 'divine revelation' and reported miraculous events seems to have an inverse relationship.

Aint that just the DARNEDEST thing?

That is not the problem. The problem is that science can't give itself a meaning. They can say that science help humans but every answer will result in a why is that good? So either you accept that there is no meaning and becomes a nihilist or you realize that the scientific view actually need some kind of faith not grounded in any facts.

Nice

You've got it all backwards. You work on the assumption that all religion are false and then assume that religious people "know" this but pretend they don't. It's completely absurd.

>It's kind of sad people need a crutch to be a morally and ethically good person. Some religions also forgive, allowing the person to do something wrong, and gain forgiveness later.

Where do you think your idea of a "moral and good person" comes from?
>Oh I just know because I'm smart
No. Your knowledge of right and wrong is COMPLETELY encapsulated in the ideas of Christianity because you grew up in a western society. You can't just remove that foundation and expect everything to carry along just fine and dandy. The things your parents taught you, the things you learned from society, don't take those for granted. They aren't just a universal given.

And the concept of forgiveness and redemption is one of the highest virtues of humanity. If someone does something wrong what do you think happens?
>Oh I did something wrong. Oh well, I'm just a piece of shit now, might as well keep being a jack ass since there's no hope of becoming good again.
>Oh I did something wrong. Through the grace of God's infinite capacity forgiveness, even a sinner like me can still become a righteous person if I truly repent and make up for my wrong doing.
Which sounds better?

>OP didnt provide proof that gaining knowledge from the scientific method is more valid than gaining all my knowledge from whatever the church says

Well then thats your choice isnt it? Personally i think a magic 8-ball is more precise and straightforward but you do you.

>A wooly mammoths leg was dated 10,000 years apart from its head.
hahahhhahhaha
carbon dating is such bullshit.
>hurrdurr maybe we are within 100,000 years.
>~but how does it work
>well cardon decays at a predictable rate
>~then why is it only within 300,000 year range?
>uhhh, shut up!....you are one of those bible hicks right?
seriously. more I learn about it.... like did you know all carbon dating post 1945 is bad now because of the nuke testing and all that? but somehow that didn't effect old carbon?

>the idea a dot mass of everything exploded (for no reason), eventually making human beings with emotions, is ridiculous.

Well when you retardedly simply the fuck out of it like that, yea it does. You just skipped passed 13 billions years of entropy and chemical evolution / cellular mutation like it was a blip lol. I mean, holy fuck. But you're right, it all sounds ridiculous, hence why I still strongly feel like no one has a clue what an of this is. Probably is well beyond our comprehension.

whats that? ARE YOU MOVING THE GOALPOSTSTS YOU COWARDLY LITTLE FUCKER?
I don't care to discuss science or biology with you, because you have shit for brains, and are already telling me what I believe.
Theres plenty of experts in those fields, you go convince them, eh?
Run along now, the adults are speaking.

Sorry, was your only possible argument an attempt to undermine the alternative explanations for life? Because I have a good idea that you don't know shit about science, and I wouldn't ask you.

Getting back to the point away from your failed attempt at a deflection, faith is wholly dishonest, and if I found I held a position for reasons of faith alone, I would be happy to doubt and re-evaluate my stance, based upon the evidence and the explanations that could account for it.
Not just jump to a priori conclusion and pretend 'a wizard did it' serves as ANY KIND of functional explanation of the universe WITH USEFUL PREDICTIVE POWER, because it doesn't explain shit. Even if god 'did it' you still have no fucking clue, so stop pretending.

The scientific method was born out of the minds of men who were devout (see Decarte, Bacon, etc)

Thomas Kuhn also points out in "the structure of scientific revolution" that truly seminal ideas are the result of inspiration, so that should tell you something about how we map our hypothesis out. I trust science, no one gets to leave their brain at the door of the church when they come in... but if you think you are smarter than every Christian ever, your ego might be a bigger issue than you know

Religion has nothing to do with finding out the truth and everything to do with people and their mentality. They want to be assured that their life has meaning and they are part of something greater. Religion gives them that, all the while enforcing a common set of morals that help create group cohesion. It's all just a really clever trick to stop people from being massive dicks to each other.

This, TBHFAM
Nice one American, you have the most vocal assholes in the world, and occasionally the odd paragon of brilliance.

Religion and science are different systems but they can't rule each other. Religion can't say that a scientific result is wrong because of god, and science can't say there is no god and point to the lack of facts.
Science is honest while it work within its system, but it is dishonest if it try to say that religion is false and science is right. Because then it is breaking its own logic.

Same goes for religion when it is working within its domain it is honest. But when it tries to work with the tools of science it becomes dishonest. Facts are not the realm of religion.

Statements are only true within each system.

So yes. It is wrong to use god as an argument about the material world, just like it is wrong to use science as an argument about god.

oh surprise surprise, super atheist doesn't know or care to know about abiogensis but has the answer to life.

Quick, everyone, this faggot has all the answers.

I do understand the term.
I am 40. :) Your move.

But see that's fucking sad. Some people need a crutch to not be a dick, or be righteous and ethical. It just seems like a scapegoat, for ethical and explanatory reasons.

Filling that void of the unknown, because "im scared of not knowing what this is" "if I didn't have religion, I would have shot paco in the face for lulz" Wellp we have the FBI for that son, and we separate church and state for a very valid reason.

... So, you, the THEIST is proposing that, if your god is not real,
that (YOUR) life has no meaning?

Interesting. I'm able to construct meaning for my life without any gods devils or magic spirits getting involved in my universe....

>> New Testament says to exile Jews and heathens if they refuse Christ.

>> NT says Jews are of Satan and illustrated the world we live in.

>> NT says absolutely nothing that would benefit the Talmudic Pedophile

>> Blue pilled user thinks he is a revolutionary for swallowing Jewish load

I would argue that if Buddha really did reach that kind of awareness, he would no longer be a human being and therefor not rules by the same rules as us. I believe that our humanity is the reason for our world.

Churches acknowledge spirituality can't be institutionalised. It is also said God has no grandchildren, just children. Experience with him is direct.

The way of Christ is a personal one.

What are you proposing? We all make spiritual journeys in a vacuum?

That doesn't answer the question you fucking retard. Half the scientists say those meteorites are contaminated

And the question is

How do amino acids come from non-living matter?

You are dodging the question because you are a kike or a stupid fucking burger

I'm sorry, but I don't speak crazy person.
Were you expecting some kind of reasoned response?
Your model of reality has no predictive value, and this is the nail in the coffin;
Electric TVS and telephones are the fruits of predictive models of reality based in evidence,

'a 'good' life (in service to the religion-meme and its priest propagator caste) in return for your obedience and tithes, and perhaps an afterlife at the end of it, if we're correct, sorry, no cameras allowed' is the fruits of a faith-based predictive model.

Oh yeah, and wars in Palestine and Israel.

Nice model.

Doesn't even know Nazis were Bible believers.

Fucking American idiot right here

It might be a scapegoat, but why is that a problem? Would you really want to take a crutch away from people who need it and depend on it to function normally? Are you that heartless?