What's your honest opinion on honesty

Please be honest.

When to lie, when to be honest?

Be honest

In Spain we have 2 terms.

>Mentira "cochina"
When u lie on a filthy way, looking only for your interests and not thinking of consecuences

>Mentira "piadosa"
U voluntarily lie in order to avoid a greater evil or just to not harm the person u care about.
All people should be honest, but sometimes it is better to cover the truth when the thing you're lying about won't repercute anyone and would only make it worse.

Lying to avoid conflict is called avoidance in the psychology world. Most of the time it will lead to greater conflict down the road.

How do you balance what is ok to lie about to negate harm?

I only lie to benefit myself.

I prefer loyal honesty myself.

I used to follow my grandma saying: "you must live to lie, not lie to live". But nowadays I see this is a wrong path. You should either ommit (omission is not lying) or try to answer with a rhetorical question (idem) - but at this case you should be a really smat person.

*"You should lie to live, not live to lie".

Do you do it because you want to or feel you need to based on your circumstances?
TopKek
I agree with those sentiments to an extent. Hypothetically, if someone were to put a gun to your head and asked you to denounce your faith in a core belief to live, would you do it?

You should never lie, it is literally the 8th commandment of the bible "Thall shall not bear false witness against they neighbor"

if you live a life of lies, than your are a fake person and it will be extremely hard for you to build a relationship with anyone because they will see through your bullshit the more they get to know you.

you should strive to be honest as much as possible, because if you are honest than life will be easy and you wont have to struggle to make up stories and build upon them to get by, and when the curtain drops all your allies will abandon you

Only lie if it means the greater good of yourself or a party you represent, and even then the lie should be well constructed and have little to no holes.

plus the more honest you are the more easy it is to get away with smaller lies, but don't make small lies a habit as they will reflect your character and damage it

oldfag here
>when you cheat or fuck up badly, don't be an egotistical fuck and hurt them by telling. do the right thing and break up/off.
>reveal your powerlevel in an analythical, civil and educated manner. be proud of what you believe in.
>try to be honest to the people around you. no white lies (your new haircut looks gorgeous), you'll soon find out people come to you for your opinions over others since you are trustworthy.

being honest and trustworthy is a virtue. be proud of what you believe in and don't perpetuate the denial-enabling faggots all around you.

Do you believe humans are inherit liars? Somehow biologically wired to be false out of survival instincts?
I agree with you there, being consistently honest to everyone around you will make you a rock in their world.

Do you believe it is harder to be honest these days with social reform and the inability to express your true opinion?

I agree with this but it's also possible to be too honest. I'd say try to be as truthful as you can without being a dick about it. To take your example about someone's new hair cut, I'd say don't lie and say that it looks great if it doesn't but don't be so brutally honest that you hurt their feelings. It's a fine line.

If you are conscious of that lie being a problem in the long term, u better not lie.

Ofc the moral balance of lying is imposed by society, influenced by every culture. Here those lies are usually performed in unimportant social matters. Simple example: the kid's cat is dead, his mother tells him that the cat went to the cheese moon to hunt mice, and left a note saying bye-meow whatever.

honesty isn't for everyone, a man who wants my honesty needs to earn this as his respect...
sincere honesty towards woman has been always a very bad idea... no matter how often she sucked on your dick.

Lie as little as possible. Mislead if you must, hold silent when you wish but avoid telling outright lies whenever possible.

Your grandma sounds like a woman, user

I have to lie because I am a crypto nazi. Lying about personal things is not good though.

> the kid's cat is dead, his mother tells him that the cat went to the cheese moon to hunt mice, and left a note saying bye-meow whatever.

Cute. CUTE. Thanks, user, you made my shitty morning.

I'm white so I only tell white lies, they're harmless.

>Do you believe it is harder to be honest these days with social reform and the inability to express your true opinion?

It's hard as balls, it's like you're living in another reality, the appeal to emotion and "muh human rights, muh equality" blinds the common man and woman, it´s like they switched off their common sense. It´s truly disheartening.

of course. No pronouncement of faith is worth dying for. you can scream your denial all you want as long as you live on to spread the faith in safer times.

>white considered universally good
>black considered universally bad
is reality racist?

If there is benefit to be obtained there's no reason to not lie, lie smartly, make sure there are no holes in your lie, be confident, even arrogant.
My mother used to tell me when I was young "No es serlo, es parecerlo", which basically means, "It's not being it, it's showing yourself as if" there is no need to be a honest person, just show yourself as one, there's no need to dutiful, just show yourself as it, etc.
Appearances are everything most of the time and these days being honest will most likely put you in trouble with this over the top sjw bullshit, the only times you should actually be honest is when you actually care about someone.

The meaning of that commandment is not about lying in general, but lying agaisn't another person to cause harm, that should be avoided since sooner or later it will backfire.

What do you guys think about lying to kids about Santa Clause?