Is teaching inmates how to code a good thing?

Is teaching inmates how to code a good thing?

fastcompany.com/3038589/the-prison-coding-class-that-might-have-inmates-making-six-figures-on-their-release

You gotta do something with busy niggers!

Everyone needs busy niggers!

Coding is becoming blue collar work, by which I mean it's overrun with immigrants driving the wages down

Teaching them any trade is good assuming they wont recommit and assuming their sentences are arguably not so egregious otherwise you have a bunch of bumbling idiots with no skills other than the skills that landed them in the slammer. Thus the deadly cycle and the never ending drain on taxpayers

very much this

No. They will be incompetent but entitled to IT positions with the general public when released.

This will bring the quality of apps down dramatically

why not teach them not to break the fucking law instead

glad i passed on programming and shit.

How many are even getting out or even got a job so far?

We spend enough money trying to rehabilitate irredeemable subhuman niggers. Toss them in a hole and throw away the key.

It's a good mental exercise I guess, not necessarily something that will land them a job without affirmative action.

>muh apps
Trust me pajeet and Piotr already put out thousands of shit apps for every decent one

Yeah let them become internet criminals

this is an unfortunate truth.

Great, put them to work writing drivers for all my new hardware. That shit is super tedious, but nessecary.

>prisoners recieve better education than public schools

It's true. People use this as an argument to reduce the prison population, but what it shows is we're pampering these fucking niggers and making prison a place you WANT to go. We need to put them to fucking work, make money off them instead of spend money on them.

>the only people that use (gnu) Linux are convicts forced to as punishment

It's because they likely rolled their own distro with the networking components removed to prevent the convicts from using them to connect to the outside world

how do you get a white collar job with shooting people on your record though

affirmative action dawg

>restricting this on OS level
nice one leaf

It's retarded to treat criminals like this, they should be rotting in their cells

You shouldn't give criminals knowledge so they go out and commit crime with the knowledge, whether it's about computers, finance, or any other field

You shouldn't give criminals access to a high calorie diet so they can bulk up their body and commit crime with it once they go out

What kind of backwards turbocuck liberal policies are these?

Well they may need to retain some level of functionality to keep a small LAN, cant just yank the NIC out, otherwise just install TempleOS

>everyone is actually doing work
the poor fools
they never stood a chance

>the-prison-coding-class-that-might-have-inmates-making-six-figures-on-their-release

They'll never be able to get a job like that due to their criminal history. Best case scenario they do some kind of tech support.

Say what? That logic could apply to anything they do. Exercise, reading, anything can be used for nefarious purposes with enough creativity.

The purpose of prison, or rather the guiding tenet, is rehabilitation. You rehabilitate the individual to not commit crime in the future. If you allow them to learn and become proficient at a skill set then they can thrive on the outside and become a productive member of society.

You can keep your lawlessness down there Juan. We try not to kick people when they're down up here in prosperity land.

That's not entirely true. Sure. It limits their opportunities but there are a lot of convicts in high positions. Look at Congress for example.

non-violent non-felony offenders im okay with rehabilitation. The rest can get fucked and rot, I don't care if it makes them worse, they don't desercve gibs education, they deserve hard unpaid labor.

This being San Quentin none of these qualify under those parameters.

Yeah anyone in IT above entry level usually has a lot of access. I doubt employers will be quick to trust felons with admin level permissions

I wouldn't be surprised if there are companies willing to hire them. Maybe with a longer probationary period than normal.

You can't rehabilitate niggers. Prison should be a deterrence, not a cushy resort. Put them on the chain gang and make them fix the pot holes in my roads.

Or maybe since prisons were privatized contractors have been making a buck.

>making prisons a place you WANT to go

>The purpose of prison, or rather the guiding tenet, is rehabilitation
No it's not. It's punishment, at least certainly for the types that go to San Quentin. Its not the governments responsibility to fix broken people.

I think it was someone's post on Reddit that said there are 500+ games released every day on Google Play. The only real way to compete is to pay for ads, with luck getting you to the top 100 spot. Of course it will be profitable but short lived.

> code
> CSS & HTML
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

My wage hasn't gone down. None of the 100+ programmers I know have had their wages driven down. Do you have any proof to back up your absurd claims?

This kind of shit pisses me off because I can't find a job, and the people who are supposed to be helping me find work or training couldn't give less of a fuck because they're jaded government employees. I pay their salary with my taxes.

Meanwhile all I have to do is commit a violent crime and they'll train me all expenses paid and find me work placement the moment I'm out of prison.

It's not like schools take care of kids 24/7. I wouldn't doubt these classes are for a handful of prisoners in a handful of prisons.

Isn't the other purpose of prison to isolate lawbreakers from wider society?

Of course it's rehabilitation. Why do you think they have these programs you fucking retard? Entertainment? Do they get GEDs in prison for fun too?

Goddamn, OPs post literally refutes your argument.

>teach criminals how to hack
>results in more Nigerian prince scam mail
>more robo spam calls

Great job fuck nuts

Keywords were guiding tenet.

There are plenty of non-profits that help ex-cons. I think Homeboys or something in LA is one of the biggest. I wouldn't doubt companies also get tax cuts for hiring ex-cons.

This, obviously your average Trayvon is firmly committed to the criminal lifestyle by adulthood but there are enough people in prison who are able to be reformed to make programs like this worthwhile.

Also it gives them something to do all day so they're not stirring shit and making the guard's lives hell.

>>teach criminals how to hack
> hack CSS & HTML
cmon now

Can't see anything wrong with it

Criminals can't be rehabilitated, otherwise they wouldn't end up in prison.

Are you a liberal? Because that's the only scenario I can think when I see someone willing to give ammo to a bunch of criminals by teaching them how to commit crime in other ways and not get caught, this is what these lessons about computers, finance, and everything in between teach, you're just making criminals smarter and bulkier.

The criminals should be punished, not thrown into a literal school for improving criminal activity.

If we cut spending and make prison the shithole experience it should be instead of a luxury resort for criminals, Tyrone might be a bit more reluctant to rob that 7/11, and we'd have a lot more money for education, and more money in the pockets of law abiding citizens.

>criminals can't be rehabilitated

Kevin Mitnick and literally thousands of others would highly disagree.

Uh, Im not saying they don't. Im saying they shouldn't.

For blacks that's like the highest level of coding attainable

Some criminals can be rehabilitated. The vast majority can't. The small positive result is not worth the tremendous effort and waste of resources.

So you think that once these people are released (nearly 50% are in there for drug convictions and a majority of those are non-violent) we should just drop them right back into society the way we found them except with the Scarlett letter attached to them?

Do you not see the idiocy of your plan?

People fuck up man. The goal is to give any willing and able person a chance to be a productive member of society. Everyone benefits from that.

Crime goes down, your insurance goes down, the prices you pay at the store go down. The more productive society is the less crime you have. It is a distinct correlation that has been proven over and over again

Only 13% of prisons are private. I'm not sure on it, but I think there are more people in jail than prison.

>using a statistical anomaly such as a hacker as an example
Lmao

Also, I can assure you that Kevin has broken the law after his release, he's just smarter now and won't get caught

I would bet you that doing this will have coders making pseudo-minimum wage (that whole $12-$18/hr shit) a lot faster than it will have former inmates making 6 figures.

What does going towards spending on inmates? I would imagine it's less luxuries but more salaries for workers, security, up keep, and transportation. Schools spend $10K+ on kids, yet many still go without books and supplies, most money is for administration and up keep.

The concept is known as recidivism.

Programs like this solve a large majority of the problems repeat offenders claimed they encountered when first released.

My god I can only imagine the backlash

ubisoft.jpg

Google it Pablo. There are countless examples. From law to entertainment to business to literally every fucking thing. A lot of people have turned their shit around.

trying to teach a bunch of guys that are terrible at math must be frustrating as shit. notice how this is to make liberal weiners feel better with a fantasy about about fictional ex-crip software developers not to teach a skill that could actually benefit them

Smaller cells, no tv, no WiFi, no air conditioning, rice and beans, no gym equipment or outside playground, no psychiatrists or social workers, no group therapy, no fucking coding classes

You forgot that everything someone says in 4chin is the absolute truth and you're not allowed to question it.

I forgot to add no paid in-prison labor. Mandatory forced labor.

Sounds like you got yourself stuck in before Indians with work visas became the norm for tech companies. Lucky you. Or you are an Indian with a visa and you don't realize you're paid less.

In my opinion prisons should not just teach people, but force them to work by providing means of labour, with internet its even easier now
The fact that victim very well might be feeding his offender with his taxes is just wrong, they should work to earn their living

Nope not the governments responsibility to play daddy because they're fuck ups. If they're felonious drug dealers absolutely not. Im assuming if youre in San Quentin you werent just a drug user, but if you are I have no problems with that then, but most drug felonies involve dealing. Anyone violent absolutely not as well.

I don't care if it does make them better. At what cost? Im sure if we blew a $1million dollars on each one of them, it would fix most of them, should we do it at that cost? Why should they get free education for going to jail when some lower class kid is struggling on the straight and narrow but has to pay for it because hes just above the poverty line.

>inb4 i dont understand
ive been to con college 4 times, you might be fixing some of them, but the massive economic cost for the small returns ain't worth it.

Vast majority of criminals are low-IQ or have some sort of brain damage. Even if they do manage to sit there and write hello world I don't think they can compete with actual professionals and their code won't be reliable.

>teaching criminals coding
Wtf now they are going to be cyber-niggers

Yes, prisoners are people too. If you don't want them to reoffend then change their lives for the better.

This seems like a huge setup. Criminal niggers coding? Yeah ok.

Whole thing is just a leftist photoshoot to waste more tax dollars.

>My wage hasn't gone down
Maybe, but has it gone up? Because living costs have.

Lack of wage growth is, in real terms, a pay cut.

>WE WUZ PEOPLE TOO

That's been tried before, you retard. It didn't work in the 1800s, it's not going to work now. Prison has very little deterrent effect simply because people who commit crimes don't think that they're going to be caught.

Then why imprison them instead of just shooting them if you're never going to help them integrate into normal society?

>cherry-picking a video to provide ammo for his racist thoughts.
Delightful.

Sure, why not?

It's not driving the wages down its just increasingly competitive

>cutting off your nose to spite your face
Congrats, you're a moron.

Good point.

>WASTING TIME ON DIRT

I wouldn't teach them shit, this ain't a fucking high school or a hotel. Oh I committed a crime now I go to jail and learn a new trade. It shouldn't work that way, they should not be able to compete with normal society, even in the job market once you go to jail.

How about looking at Chicago?

Obviously, there's marketing involved. Just like if you start a website, you think you magically get visitors?

Nothing wrong with that, sometimes shit hits the fan in bigger cities, that might not be so obvious to you if you're living in alabama.

>He never saw local news in America

It is literally this every night.

>that might not be so obvious to you if you're living in alabama.
>said the user living in the european equivalent of alabama

>Is teaching inmates how to code a good thing?
What is better do you want inmates to stab fellow inmates and guards with DIY shivs or do you want then to learn a skill?

There's plenty of foreigners in finland, but again, of course you can't see further than your own naval.

We at least had our niggers under control back then. Now they're running wild. They don't give a fuck about prison. Maybe rehab could work in majority white countries, but try living with 50% niggers and spics and see how generous your bleeding heart becomes, emufucker.

It's not any of them are similar to a basic Super Mario Bros game, it's usually the 10,000th clone of Flappy Bird that people will play once then forget about.

I honestly don't know how people play Age of Evilon or Mobile Strike. They all seem like clones of each other, just different settings.

which idiot is retarded enough to think that a nigger can learn programming?
what the fuck?
look how streetshitters struggle with it and nigs are a tier or ten lower than them

Alright, god damn, there's a lot of stupid in this thread.

Sentencing offenders has five goals:

1. public safety
2. punishment
3. rehabilitation
4. deterrence
5. denouncement

Custodial sentences are imposed to meet these goals along the following rationale: where an offender poses a threat to the public that can only be managed in a custodial setting, or where the severity of the crime requires that the state impose a severe punishment and also make clear that such offences will not be tolerated, a custodial sentence is appropriate. The point is that pretending prison is "just" for this or "just" for that misses the entire fucking point. Prison is not a monolithic institution it is one of a range of tools that judges have at their disposal to impose a sentence that is fair in all the circumstances.

Determining what an offender's prison experience should be CANNOT be done without considering the individual offender. Some offenders should be nerve-stapled and sent to the punishment spheres, sure. Others deserve a lighter touch. Turning prisons into gulags misses the point of sentencing just as much as turning them into pleasure palaces.

In short, none of you have any business injecting your dumb opinions into this debate. Leave it to the judge who actually presides over the case to impose the sentence.

I choose DIY shivs