Is there a practical use for automatic fire?

Is there a practical use for automatic fire?

You could easily hit someone with a single bullet if you were accurate enough, so a machine gun just seems like a complete waste of precious bullets in the battlefield.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A9l9wxGFl4k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What is suppressive fire

I figure you can use it for suppression, shock, awe and general chaos, clusters of targets.. but that's just my jackass amateur opinion.

In the future there will not be automatic weapons, there will be robots with highly precise semi-automatic rifles and an array of optical sensors. Machines will rule the battlefield as highly competent military marksmen that never sleep, never disobey orders, and have no fear of death.

No, not if you're a single person. You also need some level of skill to properly use them.

Three shot burst weapons are dangerous as fuck though, and one trigger pull will at center mass will not only hit center mass, but also the throat area and head depending on the weapon. It can make anyone deadly. A small amount of experience or training is needed to gain the equivalent with an automatic weapon.

Your picture is more along the lines of an anti-material use, or one of those situations where people blast the shit out of each other until one side is more dead.

>robots
>never disobey orders

Computer nerds hack the robots and start WW3. The end.

You're essentially right, except
>if you were accurate enough
The main reason to fire a long burst from a machine gun is the increase in "accuracy," so to speak - you're more likely to hit something at least once. The range at which machine guns are used is significantly greater than that of normal rifles, even when they use the same ammo and have similar muzzle velocities.

Columns of men advancing

There is a scare factor in it so you can get someone's heads down while your buddies flank then and shoot them from the side.

>Mfw the japanese build actual Jeagers and fucking conquer half the world

Increases the chances you'll hit someone at a distance if they're running.

Also keeps enemy soldiers (hint) to stay down while you move your guys in from the sides to massacre them.

Its a force multiplier for combat.

Up close it also guarantees that you'll put a Stop to somebody because they get shot multiple times without having to put any effort into it. And well, that you'll hit them too.
This is the reason why they'd quickly convert civilian semi-auto AR-15s to Full Auto in the event of a civil war or invasion.

That way veterans and defecting soldiers would be able to apply their tactics at an almost 1:1 ratio against the enemy.

A study conducted after WW2 concluded that soldiers were more effective laying down more rounds than simply taking aim. Shoot-and-scoot replaced one-shot-one-kill as a preferred method of combat. Also many western weapons downsized their ammunition to 5.56 for this new method of fighting. More rounds means better chance of hitting an opponent.

When you're on the receiving side it is definitely worse to be hit by constant accurate fire as opposed to individual rounds. Your asshole will pucker so hard you can snap a bamboo dildo but holy shit if it isn't exhilarating.

If you're the one with automatic fire, it also helps moral a little bit. Full auto is fun.

There are two situations in which you "need" full auto, besides suppressive fire. 1) When you are in the final assault, and placing a wall of lead in front of you as you and your bros storm a position. 2) When you are defending against a final assault, and you and your bros are placing a wall of lead in front of your position.

The machine gunners job is to suppress the enemy freeing the rifleman to move to a better position.

Ill also point out to the gun grabber people that Fully Automatic weapons are illegal in the united states and have been since 1934.

It takes very special paperwork to get access to one, or a heck of alot of money to get an older model weapon (over 30 years old at this point)... and either way that person is pretty much going to be monitored.

Full Auto weapons dont have any place in sporting, and they're dangerous to bystanders for personal or home defense.

But the trick is... the 2nd amendment has more to do with National Defense than personal (though personal defense is included in national defense, in order to have a secure country you must be secure in your person as well).

So... to protect against foreign invasion, no matter how unlikely, or against a tyrannical government, civilians should be able to Gain Access to a fully automatic weapon if the need arises.

Currently all civilian arms are semi automatic or single shot. Though in an emergency some of them can be rigged to fire fully automatic.

Not everyone is Chris Kyle and condition black fucks your aim up horrendously.
You go get suppressed and tell us if your aim is still as good.
Fucking pogs think everyone has laser aim.

Automatic fire is useful only in two instances:

1. Suppression of an enemy to allow flanking maneuever on enemy position
2. Shooting into a vehicle engine block

Beyond that nobody actually uses the giggle switch in battle. There's a dedicated machine gunner for suppression and everybody else shoots semi-auto.

Think about it. The average soldier carries 210-240 rounds of ammunition. Only the first round that you fire will hit where you're aiming. The other shots will pull up and to the left. You're wasting limited ammo for no reason.

People are also starting to come out with products like these too.

This allows you to shoot as fast as full auto but you have to manually work the trigger to make it happen.

Really nifty, really safe, and really controllable (if you want to stop, you just stop pulling the trigger)

Im sure products like these will start filtering in for other weapons besides just the AR-15 and AR-10...

Mounted machine gun fire is accurate and devastating.

>You could easily hit someone with a single bullet if you were accurate enough
>if
Statistically speaking, 0.000000000...% of people can shoot accurately enough in combat conditions to reliably hit men with single bullets.

now fuck off back to /noguns/

This, when you see soldiers shooting their M4s its alot of "pop - pop - pop - pop" and they duck back down again.

Only time Rifles are used on full auto is pretty much in the movies.

Even machinegunners typically only fire bursts to conserve ammo and halfway keep the gun on target. Like 5 shots at a time.

this is usually a Designated Marksman who isnt being fired at himself, because nobody knows where he is

most soldiers dont take the time to aim carefully like this

there's a reason this meme died out in the 1950s

you are a fcuking retard

most kills in war happen without directly seeing the enemy

you just lie down and shoot in the direction that the shots are coming from, maybe you get some accurate fire and one or two of them die, then artillkery or plane kills them

if you can actually see the enemy soldier clearly in your corsshairs, then its too late because you're already dead 99% of the time

go watch some fucking war footage from iraq or afganistan on youtube and get educated

the ONLY weapons that are actually effective in war are machine grenade launchers and light machine guns, assault rifles are pretty much useless, and semi-auto or bolt action are completely useless

The auto=suppression/rifles=kill meme is overplayed. The truth is, both automatic fire from a SAW-type weapon and semi-auto fire from rifles both contribute to suppression of an enemy. And both of them kill, although the automatic weapons kill more.

Most US soldiers, and soldiers in general, really don't have the experience or training to use an automatic weapon to any great potential.

There really more trouble than they're worth, and generally are just good for a targeted spray and pay if you get into a direct combat situation. Civil wars(excluding African civil wars) typically aren't fought in those scenarios.

This.

>Covering Fire.
>Flapping your dick on the table
>(((Jewing)))

What is
>Supressive fire.
>Fire superiority.

Learn2warfare

assault rifles are only useful to protect the machine gunners in case the enemy actually try to push on your position

>assault rifles

fpbp

>Is there a practical use for automatic fire?
To make the enemy stay in their holes.

Asymetric warfare - you will almost never use burst fire.

With a M4/M16 rifle, you have two points of effective target selection. In point-target, that's an expected hit on a single target using semi-automatic mode it's 300 meters.

For an area target in semi-automatic mode, it's 550 meters. I would imagine the 300 meter target in fully auto (3-5 round bursts) would be an effective use against group targets or enemy supression.

Keep in mind the M249 and M240B are belt-fed vs magazine fed M4. It is all dependent on your platform and capabilities thereof.

For theory of use, of fully auto weapons, defending an area that's fortified, engaging large groups of enemy in formation, or suppression of fire so your "team" can maneuver around them and flank would be practical uses.

Killing a mob of commies

WTF I thought I was on Sup Forums not /k/

youtube.com/watch?v=A9l9wxGFl4k
What could go wrong?

What is area denial?

>Doesn't understand suppression and squad movement tactics
>Bait

Sage

suppression of course

Or Google AI becomes self aware and literally brings about Judgement Day.

>No HMG laying down fire
"Im not in that much of a situation, om more likely to pop up and return fire"
>HMG fire
"fuck fuck fuck fuck if I look up Im dead if I look up Im dead fuck fuck fuck"
REAAAALLY MAKES ME WONDER

The main purposes of full auto fire are as follows.
1. Provide suppressing fire for infantry to maneuver under.
2. Provide a hailstorm of lead to "soften up" enemy defenses or forces, typically before an assault.
3. Oh motherfucking shit it's goin down, lay the hate.
4. Make youtube videos

>3. Oh motherfucking shit it's goin down, lay the hate.
I believe this is called "final protective fire"

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

Wew someone actually said this

This also prevents malfunctions and over heating.

Also, heads go down when belts are being expended.
No need to fire when theres no targets....unless supression is your mission

THIS

Yeah the HNNNNG machinegun will get you behind the brick wall too. Because it penetrates, deeply.

Thats usually drawn on range card.
Typically the gaurds of an outpost take position on the ground and fire at the cyclic rate with overlapping sectors of fire creating a "line of bullets" that eill surround the protected asset.

Unfortunately, ywn have enough ammo for this.
Also...once on those dudes goes down, you are now fucked and breached.

I know someone didn't see Wonder Women.

yoyo what's up /tg/!!!!!!!!

All branches are currently looking at fielding a different round or caliber than the 5.56 ball or steel core ammo. Due to the enemy engagement range found in Afghanistan and Iraq/Syria the 5.56 proves useless. At close range, building clearing, the current ammo is not putting an aggressor down immediately due to mainly pass through. In the field troops are being engaged at 300 meters and greater where the average solider has not been trained to get shots on target on a consistent basis. At 500 meters the 5.56 starts having other issues and is less than lethal most of the time.

This results in rapid fire, burst fire engagement in order to keep the enemy engaged and suppressed until heavier response is used (artillery and aerial assault) at distance and it's been reported troops pull their pistols in close in combat thinking the 9mm is a better round in house clearing.

As a side note this has resulted in the 7.62 being brought back onto the battlefield as well as the development of new rounds of 5.56 with open tip, soft tip, and the new M855A1. On top of this all branches are looking at new calibers for the soldier in the field, some 5 different calibers I think.

Some generalizations here in order to keep things simple.

>Fully Automatic weapons are illegal in the united states
>It takes very special paperwork to get access to one

The only thing you got right was the expense.
They are not illegal, they are restricted.
To get a FA weapon you have to fill out a one page form, pay $200 and wait about nine months. Obama wrote an executive order mandating fingerprints and a photo go with the application.

It's really no big deal. I have about a dozen stamps for various things. Some I've filed myself via ATF's eforms and others were through dealers.

>not being able to do suppressive fire with a single bullet

yeah like the m4, atrax or sa80

you know? those pieces of shit that you see people using to just randomly pop rounds off one at a time into some fucking bushes or buildings even though they can't see shit and have no clue what the fuck is going on? those things, they might as well just hide in a ditch and wait in case the enemy try to advance or something

im high and what is this

Join the military, go to war, and you'll have your answer.