Cultural appropriation: Make it illegal worldwide, Indigenous advocates say

Indigenous advocates from around the world are calling on a UN committee to make appropriating Indigenous cultures illegal — and to do it quickly.

Delegates from 189 countries, including Canada, are in Geneva this week as part of a specialized international committee within the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), a United Nations agency.

Since it began in 2001, the committee has been working on creating and finishing three pieces of international law that would expand intellectual-property regulations to protect things like Indigenous designs, dances, words and traditional medicines.

The meeting takes place as concern grows worldwide about the rights of cultures to control their own materials. In the U.S. this week, designer Tory Burch agreed to change the description of one of her coats for women after Romanians protested that it had been described as African-inspired when it actually appropriated a traditional Romanian garment.

Speaking to the committee Monday, James Anaya, dean of law at the University of Colorado, said the UN's negotiated document should "obligate states to create effective criminal and civil enforcement procedures to recognize and prevent the non-consensual taking and illegitimate possession, sale and export of traditional cultural expressions."

Anaya said the document should also look at products that are falsely advertised as Indigenous made or endorsed by Indigenous groups.

That would mean products like those in U.S. based retailer Urban Outfitters "Navajo" line, Anaya said, including "Navajo hipster panties," a "peace treaty feather necklace" and a "Navajo print flask."

ca.news.yahoo.com/cultural-appropriation-illegal-worldwide-indigenous-141353873.html

>using custom flags

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OGVpI9NXTbU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You write too much to get replies

Why stop there? You can only use what you yourself directly invented, and you can't copy anything anyone else has done or you violate their rights.

If cultural appropriation is illegal, sorry Indians, you're gonna have to go back to hunting buffalo and murdering each other in tribe wars. We may as well wipe you out at that point, since you can't appropriate White man's technology.

Any non-White person wearing Jeans or Plaid sweaters is committing a hate crime.

is from the article bro

This is quickly getting out of hand.
Why can't a white person enjoy a taco and a hispanic person enjoy a burger and be happy?

cultural appropriation illegal?

How will nogs live without written language? farming? civilized society?

>hunting buffalo
Can't even do that, the horses they used for it were old world animals culturally appropriated from Europeans. The entire great plains lifestyle popped and died within a few hundred years once Europe introduced new things.

Well if you believe the legends and stories, when the Natives first settled North America they encountered light-skinned red-haired people who were already here before them, so who knows how much they really invented at all. Maybe their stupid little tents and face paints were stolen from Vikangz.

Hahaha, I can't wait to see Canada enact this
Hahahahaha

>leafs
theres fags are trying for the United Nations to do it

The Big City faggots and rich cunts are flooding us with immigrants and using them against us like cattle who can vote. You should be quite familiar with that since you guys got such a big head start on us.

I think you've hit gold here.

Imagine how many burger joints owned by spics you'll be able to close down now. Around here we have hundreds of crappy food joints owned by chinese that serve all manner of non-chinese food.

If you ain't black you can't serve fried chicken.

It would be chaos.

It's funny because we're still not Canada

>If you ain't black you can't serve fried chicken.
Whites invented that, they're SoL. Same thing with Nikes.

> In the U.S. this week, designer Tory Burch agreed to change the description of one of her coats for women after Romanians protested that it had been described as African-inspired when it actually appropriated a traditional Romanian garment.
lol! The sheer state of the We Wuz.

This is honestly getting out of hand. At first, I supported liberals, they were after all for equality and all that shit. Then they turned into the SJW, which made me despise them. At first I was angry, then I thought it was pathetic and funny, and now im back at the angry stage. Holy shit those people are fucking useless and cannot contribute anything to society.

MAKE IT STOP

This is downright Orwellian, asking permission from some cultural committee to talk, move or dress a certain way. Hopefully these retards don't get their way, although the fact that they can present these crackpot ideas before the UN is alarming in itself.

so the blacks can no longer play any of their music that they claim because it was created using instruments not invented by nogs.
have fun with banging on rocks all day
>forgetting the influences european gosepl had on nog music
>forgetting the influences european folk had on nog music
>forgetting the Scots created the call and response technique used in jazz
also, do ebonics not steal from certain sections of Ireland?
'dis dose dem'
also the 'classic american syncopation' predates what people generally think of it's origins by about 100 years. it started with fiddlers, though this could still be the blacks as there were nog fiddlers from New England all the way down south
damn blacks, you sure love stealing culture

bump for interest

The delegates, Abdul.

>niggers have to go back to africa, maoris back to their caves, pakis return the desert without modern transport
Sounds good to me.

>kiwis get to keep fucking chickens

On what basis would you deny someone the ability to appropriate a culture?

Could it be... RACE?????

Vikings used to engage in rap battles all the time, they can't do that either.

Poos will have to give up on the curries they've grown used to as peppers are new world.

'Cultural appropriation' is just another weapon to use against whites.
It applies to whites and whites only and is a one way street.

When can these people be publicly hung? Looking forward to the day. Now if they could see that they really mean (((them))) and not white people then maybe I'll shed a small tear when they are hung.

Did they ever invented anything beside fucking goat to cure AIDS?

I couldn't agree more.
Let's start with all the things Europeans invented.

>the same people who use #notallmuslims make sweeping generalizations that lump all white people together

More regulations!

More government involvement the of private citizens and private matters!

All I see is history repeating itself, with the end result of oppression. What a sick joke.

>Have "White friend"
>Her grandfather was a full Indian
>She herself has an Indian status card
>She wears moccasins at store
>Blonde lady comes up to her and says "That's cultural appropriation" and pours her iced cappuccino on her.

I'm part native myself; though there's nothing that really connects me to Native culture, considering my last native ancestor was like 10 generations ago.

I agree that cultural appropriation is bad. I think whites should stick to their own culture, and indienous peoples should stick to their own cultures. But I find it annoying when culturally "white" things that are relatively new and NOT a product of white colonization become appropriated by everyone.

An American friend of mine said he tried lobster once, and he described the dish, and it was some sort of lobster roll done up "Maritime style", but it had celery, chives, curry, and other things in it... And there's people in third world countries who criticize how I kill lobsters.

That pic. If you used such expression about any other group based on race, you'd be called racist and driven out of academia and would never be allowed a voice in public discourse. Also the Muslima using that pic to blaspheme Christianity, what an absolute cunt.

>I agree that cultural appropriation is bad. I think whites should stick to their own culture, and indienous peoples should stick to their own cultures.

It's not the government's job to regulate this, in any form.

>Humans learn from eachother and don't have to "reinvent the wheel" every time some problem occurs
>Humans have been expanding upon eachother languages , sciences, customs, cuisines, methods, etc and refine and pick what's best for various reasons
>Appropriation is bad

I think non whites will lose this one big time with the exception of maybe poo in loos and math. We should just tell the blacks onboard with this just to go back to Africa and get aids then. No treatment though, treatment is appropriation.

Jeans are jews, Levi Strauss invent it

>I agree that cultural appropriation is bad.
Define this is a simple and not retarded way that doesn't rely on your hurt fee fees.

Yes, but the masses of human flesh LOVE IT! WHY SHOULDNT THEY GET WHAT THEY WANT? THEY ARE THE MAJORITY!!

So did the Chinese culturally appropriate U.S. Fighter Jets?

Good thing about to protect artesian bussiness.

But ... SJW become one weapon to attack white people.

Lets let blacks have their culture back boys, they asked for it. Crucified cats and cannibalism.

They culturally appropriated the cross, only Romans can do that. Also what the fuck niggers.

So race mixing will be illegal now. That's great news.

>firearms can only be owned by the white man
Fucking finally. Before some chink gives tries to hit me with the argument that they invented the gun I'm going to preempt that by saying you invented a pipe will a hole in it which is not a gun and any claim to the white man's legacy of creating the firearm is on par with being KANGZ or Brazil claiming to have invented the airplane.

But you culturally appropriated their smelly poop dirt to make the gun.

>red rose
Into the helicopter it goes

this is the most retarded thing i've seen in a while.
Imagine this - all those nations and peoples around the world would be forbidden to use anything created by the white culture, including medicines, farm equipments and automobiles.
The european right also could claim that the migrants are apropriating their culture by going to their homeland uninvited. The possibilities are endless.

>Vikings used to battle rap
Today I learned what flyting was, and I thank you for the experience.

But culture isn't intellectual property. Culture isn't a physical, tangible item that you can slap an IP on. Cultures change over time too and when you mix two different cultures together sometimes you get a new one. I'm a liberal and even I can see this is a TERRIBLE IDEA. Who gets the rights to an entire culture? An individual? A group? Nobody does, it's made and perpetuated by the people. All this is doing is just pointlessly restricting the sharing of other cultures because there's retards out there that have the wrong idea of it.

I don't have to listen to their shit when I have the guns.

>I agree that cultural appropriation is bad.

There is nothing bad about "cultural appropriation" because there is no such thing. It is a term invented by marxist to destablize a nation.

Since Native "culture" this day is just a bunch of people who failed at civilization building following marxist ideology taught at universities, it is no surprise that they identify with that word.

Holy shit imagine if we somehow could turn it arround so much we could use the legal system to prosecute any non-white person that uses white tech.

despicable

You forgot
>Australians going back to UK jail

>Big business stands to lose money
Not gonna pass

Just out of curiosity, which culture does belongs the concept of "cultural appropriation".

It's not like it can ever be enforced. The UN is just a money sink to play pretend.

>have to go back to hunting buffalo
But Indians started hunting buffalo only after white man brought them horse from Europe. It is not their culture. And wild mustangs are not American thing.

Sounds fakish. Besides, it's the most racist and separatist idea.
Example:
Go find a basketball court and tell all the non-white players they are no longer allowed to play basketball because you have to be white in order to be allowed to play basketball.

>All these people thinking that this law will apply to white technology and culture.
>Implying it won't turn into WE WUZ BS with all of the IP rights from European culture given to niggers.
>Implying the people who care about "cultural appropriation" would admit that European ethnicities and culture even exist.

Black people are some of the biggest missappropriators out there:

>appropriates Ancient Egyptian culture
>we wuz kangs and queens
>wear blonde wigs/weave
>wear colored eye-contacts
>"white people trynna be like us so bad"

Daily reminder that Native American Indians are no more indigenous to North America than are white European-descended peoples. Daily reminder that white people are indigenous to Europe.

i guess everyone but the Scottish are going to have to give up using teh telephone and TVs then and only Brits can use the internet. Only white Americans can wear jeans and only ITalians can eat pizza.

this is the end of cultural marxism

All this minorities getting uppity and cultural appropriation shit is leading up to a super white backlash where we'll be allowed to beat the coon

>Indigenous

If you just kill all the indigenous people from the gecko you don't have to worry about this BS 100 years later.

I'm pretty sure black people disproportionately have narcissism, or there is some mental deficiency they have where they cannot comprehend people being better than them and thinking differently.

Someone really needs to do a study on this between races. From what I've seen, blacks would have the largest egos of any race. They're now convinced they'd have flying ships if it weren't for whitey after watching a fucking Disney movie.

I have bad news for niggers. Fried chicken wan't invented by them. Neither was watermelon, grape drink, ciggies, lottery tickets, money, shoes or rap music.

Does this mean that we will have to return cities and computers and other tech to Africa where we stole it from?

Damn no more shoe culture for niggers theyll have to go back to being bare foot and starving. I guess thats just the cost of true social justice.

>well no sweetie you can't have any more vaccinations, that would be appropriating Canadian culture

Always knew those damn leaves were responsible for autism.

>cultural appropriation is illegal
>blacks can't receive welfare

>Stealing becomes double outlawed as cultural appropriation from blacks

Maoris didn't live in caves?

I dunno about this legislation, but I agree with native rights, if we want to be culturally protected, we need to do the same with them. Globalisation is destroying the diversity of human culture fast.

>tfw have to give up inventing things because that would be appropriating indigenous European culture

>Whites flip it back on spics and chuck them all back into Mexico and assorted countries

Does this apply to indigenous Europeans in Europe?

throw out that whole fad of non mud houseing and working sewerage/septic systems. would government gibmedats be gone?

>whites invented plains, trains, and automobiles
Have fun walking everywhere shitskins

Hit it where it hurts, their rap music. Sampling is cultural appropriation.

Read this story on the CBC earlier today, boy are they all going to be surprised when they aren't allowed clothes or technology anymore.

kek

Remember guys this isn't for white people. We have no culture apparently. This simply wealth redistribution for whites to the them. This is going to get messy fast. Law suites will be incoming all over the place.

They come to our countries claim territory, take our cultural tresurses and get to keep theirs by law. Incase you haven't figured it out it is us the white race being colonized!!!

People are fantasizing about it but in truth it's just like this user says:

No it won't. Remember listen to your instincts. This not good for the white people of Europe.

RARE
A
R
E

Good thing that I'm culturally-fluid.

Only whites can wear jeans now, and T-shirts.

And use the internet. And drive cars.

So that means Americunt would stop ruining our pizza? I'm ok with this

So then all the "indigenous" shoukd be kicked out of organized government and all colleges, since that's white culturw and they are appropriating my culture.

>blacks can only use black inventions

Sounds hilarious, I'm in.

Why the jets are cultural m8 ?

Um, no, sweetie.

youtube.com/watch?v=OGVpI9NXTbU

That's great!
When are you guys gonna stop eating pizza, pasta, ice cream, and brewing espresso?

Black people if law is applied : At least I have peanut butter.

>Indigenous designs

I can get behind that. It's intellectual property same as any other persons designs.

>dances

facepalm.gif

>words

facepalm.gif

>traditional medicines

As long as they don't get to use our medicine, I'm fine with that. Let them to go back to drilling holes in their heads to let out the bad spirits.

>>Blonde lady comes up to her and says "That's cultural appropriation" and pours her iced cappuccino on her.

Is there any form of legal retaliation that can take place here? Or would you just have to be a petty cunt and throw a drink back at the bitch?

AHAHAHAHAHA
OK GIVE US OUR SCIENCE, MEDICINE, ENGINEERING, AND ARCHITECTURE BACK FAGGOTS!