Why are nowadays so many young people still living at home Sup Forums?

Why are nowadays so many young people still living at home Sup Forums?

>For the first time in modern history, more 18-to-34-year-olds live with their parents than in any other living arrangement, according to a Pew Research Center report released Tuesday.
>In 2014, nearly one-third of young adults lived in their parents’ home, a bigger group than those living with a spouse or romantic partner, living alone or with roommates, or living as single parents.
>While millennials moving back with their parents have been the butt of jokes and hand-wringing for several years, and the recession of 2009 played a part in their doing so, this shift spans more than one generation. It has been decades in the making, a result of deep-rooted societal transformations in education, work and family building.

washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/young-people-more-likely-to-live-with-parents-now-than-any-time-in-modern-history/2016/05/24/9ad6f564-2117-11e6-9e7f-57890b612299_story.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RI2Yt2lbMaA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Economy is shit.

This

Baby boomers and Gen xers sold us out.

Industrialization and tech advances created a boom that was unsustainable. Before the start of "modern" history, it wasn't unusual to have 2 or 3 generations living under the same roof. Not to mention that the cost of a house is ridiculous right now, and 18-34 year olds are struggling to find work as it is. Especially now that getting "properly educated" might lead someone to be in school until they are in their mid-to-late 20s. Not surprising.

THIS
Also plenty of
"looking for recently graduated xxxxxx, basic requirements:
-At least 15 years of experience
-masters at least 5 languages including old sumerian
-Can write different things with both hands at the same time"

they've been saying 18-34 for the past 8 years. since 2009 after the crash.

why would i live in a small apt with a nerd roommate who loudly plays video games 10 feet away and shares my bathroom or a girl who has periods and throw tampons in the trash and leaves hair in the shower drain when i can live in mommy's 7k sq ft house with my own bathroom in the same city i go to school and get free cleaning and din din

Because we were robbed of everything that made life worth living.

I personally don't give a shit anymore and the sooner WW3 starts the better. No joke.

Economy sucks! When my dad was my age, he was able to rent a decent sized apartment with a job at the local supermarket. I can't get shit with the same job today.

My parents have a 3000sqft house, and I am able to have my own bathroom, parking spot, and of course room, and they generally leave me be, if I do some things around the house.

I'm lucky that we get along well.

Because the generation bought into the 'special snoflake' and college meme.

They should have gone to trade school (they make bank) or picked a real major that would get them a job. They were coddled all their life, and all through school, and they grew up thinking they were special and that they deserved everything.

I'm in a very similar spot, I have a very comfy one room apartment in the house I live with my parents and whatever basic income job I can get would just lead to me living paychecks to paychecks.

Good parents are golden. I'll never be able to repay them in my lifetime.

true dat. I hope that one day I able to make enough to pay them back in some way. (Trip somewhere, car, pay off mortgage)

You're lucky, my family lost everything because of taxes so I don't having the option of moving back in with them and living comfortably

Sorry to hear that user. Fucking taxes man.

Bor and raised in the USA. I'm 31 years old and still live at home. Rent is outrageous to the point of living on my own is not worth it. The only reason I'd want to live out of my parent's house is to have a place where I could privately have sex with women. Other than that, I got it made. I give my parents a few hundred bucks a month and that's about it. The days of being considered a loser for living with your parents are over. Nobody cares about that so much.

plenty of shit jobs out there, however...
I'm 24 and live alone in an apartment I got through a guy my father knows. Rent is outrageous in ny. Need a roommate to live anywhere reasonably.

"Good parents" are not enablers. The fact that they didn't do their jobs and push you out of the nest is not something to praise.

You are literally still on the teat..yet you wonder why no Leafcunt wants to get wit u. How does that convo go when you meet a chick? Must take the moist right out of 'em..

Trust me: There are millions and millions of people that think you are loser for living w/your parents. This isn't fucking Europe. We take pride in growing up.

>Gen x

Hey, don't drag us into this - we're just as fucked as you guys.

You sound incredibly bitter.

because they can. Mommy and daddy will let them live at home and keep doing their laundry and not make them work. So they won't bother

They are literally the embodiment of the welfare queens they autistically screech about on here all day. Except, you know, in the US 50% of people on welfare still have jobs and have measurably shitty lives while the average NEET Sup Forums poster has never felt pain aside from that of his own mediocrity and existential atrophy

Housing is unaffordable, in large part because of the house-flipping meme.

I found out last week that my dad didn't move out until he was 30 and it was honestly a massive relief. I've still got 4 years before he can legitimately start giving me shit.

Wrong. I promise you, you are seen as a loser, a man struggling on his own is more respectable that a grown man who never left the parental teat

And women REALLY dont respect it. Struggle is good for you. Embrace it. Grow from it.

I'd love to move out. I work 50 hours a week and still can't afford to live in an apartment, much less a house.

During the 2008 recession, people stopped building houses and apartment buildings. We are only in the early days of people starting to build again, and we're already deep into the next bubble.

The boomer meme of house flipping has obliterated the market for affordable fixer-upper homes. Much in the same way as "cash for clunkers" destroyed the market for cheap cars.

I could afford to live in some dump, rather than with my parents, but I'd rather not risk having my head blown off over the aux cable in my honda civic

i could afford to live in a cramped studio apartment with cockroaches rimming my asshole with their feet while i try sleep through some histronic bitch wailing about her gall bladder or i could just stay with mom and dad in the middle of fucking nowhere, where its quiet and nobody gives a fuck about anything.

Cant wait for the crash, and the longer it takes for it to happen, the worse its gonna be.

How many people under the age of 30 that you personally know who live on their own with no roommates, let alone own a house? How many?

Unless someone lives in a hick town working at Walmart and living in a trailer, there is no way anyone 30 years old or younger in the US can afford to live comfortably on their own, save money for retirement, etc.. The only way is if you have a job that pays 100K+, and how many of those are offered to people in their 20's?

23 and still living with parents while I get a degree in a field that not only won't want me with as is, but also makes me fucking miserable. Only a year left if I can keep from killing myself and hopefully there will be some tech job worth my time. It's nice since they never complain and I try to stay out of their way, but the constant feeling of being a leech while my friends have moved on is horrible.

To top it all off, living with my parents is killing my already low self-esteem.
I really should've taken up a trade out of highschool, but I've already made a pact with the jew overlords for most of these loans.

>mfw 22 and live completely independently
>mfw retards continue to spout "S-STEM is just a meme" while my first job out of college puts me into the top 10% of earners

That's where you're wrong. Good parents let you stay at home but you still need to pull your weight. You pay bills you take care of the house and work your ass off to try and save money. Good parents are indeed golden because the majority of parents are shit and would throw their own children out. And all that does is produce bitter wage cucks.

The only people in my family who own property are my uncles and they lived at home til they were almost 30. My parent left home at 18, raised three kids, and don't own shit. But they're great parents and all three of their children are happy so either way works.

I don't have a lot of friends, I'm divorced, and I get along with my parents.

We split bills also, although I'll probably completely take over some time soon. Had a few years with a really nice disposable income for hobbies and shit. Bought a lot of anime body pillows to fuck.

Good for you. Now if only there were millions of other positions like yours available for the rest of the country. Oh wait, there isn't.

Too expensive to move out just yet. I got a real career now and I hope in a year or so I'll be able to move up to a position where I have the money to live on my own.

I know two such people. Both are farmers' kids who worked for their parents since they could walk, and went straight into farming after high school.

Who ever thought that it was the fucking farmers who would be falling into cash? And sure, they work their asses off, but as far as having connections for guaranteed good paying work, they are in the same category as billionaires.

And what job is that?

I moved out at 17, saved my money when I could while renting and finally bought a house 15 years later at age 32. It's not impossible.

Yeah, it's so awful that we have to compete and I had to be more competitive/motivated to win instead of just being handed shit. Life would be so much better if we all were winners and there were no losers!

>How does that convo go when you meet a chick? Must take the moist right out of 'em.

This guy gets it. I live in a one bedroom apt. I have almost nothing in material possesions. I have a bed, a desk, a tv/laptop, and a couple guitars and related equipment. i keep everything tidy and clean.

Ive brought women home lots. Most dont say anything about my spartan lifestyle, the ones that do are intrigued not turned off, i simply explain that im pushing for a dream, all else is just in the way. Chicks seem to dig that attitude.

I'm a STEM intern and I get paid enough to live in my own apartment.

I'm hoping my parents sell their house before it happens at least.

Because property is absurdly expensive now. Rent even more so.

Not really worth getting married anymore. Women only like outgoing and muscular guys. In the rare event that a shy and average guy gets married, there's a 100% chance that he'll be cheated on.

I wasn't dissing you for beating out the competition. Your comment doesn't add anything to the argument is what I'm saying.

>yea well I've got one of the best jobs in the country so clearly there's no issue

If you got a good Job then good for you! That doesn't change the fact that the majority of people can't live off the wages offered by the majority of jobs available.

Two, out of how many others?

My point is, these days rent is outrageous and level-entry jobs don't pay well. That causes 18-34 year olds to live with their parents, and it will get more common every year.

All jobs will be automated in 15 years. It's depressing.

Women liberation. They are just riding the dock carasoul and falling for the professional meme so they won't get married till late 20s. That means there's whole swaths of men who won't get looked at for marriage till far later in life. There is no reason to fall for the on your own meme when you can save and have tendies cooked for you.

Do you know how fucking expensive houses are right now? Unless you're lucky enough to live in the Midwest, there is no fucking way you're moving out right out of college.

Because you need 20-30k for a down payment for a house, which is something that you can get when you already have a house as leverage. What kind of stupid question is this?

THE RENT
IS TOO
DAMN
HIGH

There was a time when dreaming of owning a house and dreaming of becoming a millionaire were seperate dreams. That dream is now the same one for British columbians

>Women only like outgoing and muscular guys.
Dude go outside more often. Womens tatstes are as varried as mens when it comes to partners.

Know your place though. if youre a 6 youre not gonna get a 10 without money or fame. Play your own league and as long as you arent a 1000lb uggo with an attitude problem there are most likely women who would at least give you a shot.

Not too long ago, especially outside of cities, most families lived in one house taking care of each other.

This. Women don't care if you're barely scraping by - they don't want to fuck guys who live with mom and dad. Living at home is a confidence killer. Fuck saving money. I could save hundreds of thousands over the next few decades living at home - but fuck that, I'd be wasting the best years of my life. I'd rather have a career going paycheck to paycheck in the hopes that a strike riches in the future. Independence is good for your mental health

Software engineer for one of the Big Four. Which means I got a degree Sup Forums and Sup Forums rip on excessively yet turned out okay.

I understand that the 25-75% range of people is being fucked over hard by a lot of stuff they can't control, but it's frustrating because I know a lot of people in that range who don't work on the things they *can* control. Makes me less sympathetic to them even if boomers did fuck them over.

A house is more than just an investment for some people

Lineral arts degrees do give you opportunities IF YOU ARE LEFT SJW HACK OR A HACK JOURNALIST OR A WOMEN/ MINORITY

Conservatives are the ones getting fucked over with poly sci/ history because of lack of experience

You would think in todays climate people on the right would value us BUT NO

The revolving door is all the right wing elites need, only their opinions are correct and valid

Maybe we should let the right commit politucal suicide, stop trying to help them

And people like you can go on saying they are worthless as radical leftists shoot up the country while we fail to figure out what we bekive in or is worth defending

Women's view if what a "muscular/fit" guy is extremely liberal. If you look like you do occasional sports and don't eat like shit girls will like your body. You won't get stares at the beach but individual girls will find it attractive.

I absolutely believe that as that's how I was my last two years of college. Good on you and ignore the jealous art majors who rip on you for succeeding while they """""find""""" themselves

Maybe if you are a loser. Only knew a few kids that didn't move out after high school in the GTA.

>Independence is good for your mental health
If there is any takeaway from this thread its this. Ive been in that viscious circle of dependance on parents that causes severe depression.

Once i nutted up and started to drive myself i was so much happier. I have almost no expendable income now, but money is a lie. Its a tool the jews use to control, like giving a treat to a dog.

Exactly. Im no underwear model but i do heavy manual labor and eat right to keep my mental state on an even keel. Ive had women comment on how i look "strong", im no weakling, but in my eyes naked in the mirror im unimpressed

Just like third world countries

Here in Funland, most people leave parents home at age 15. If you are over 30 and still living with parents, you are seen as eternal loser.

You've my respect. My parents just bought a house last year, 23 years into their marriage. I think i'm not in a rush to buy my own.

Most millennials who aren't even in debt and who are trying to save are fighting inflation. Your dollar's purchasing power today is worth less than it will tomorrow. You can try to buy bitcoin or some other assets that rise with inflation but being that everything is in a bubble, it's a gamble. Work hard and save is punished in today's centrally planned economy run by the Federal reserve.

It's going to crash in the next several years again anyway

>muh economy
>muh baby boomers
>muh liberal arts degree

Feels good to be a millennial who isn't complete trash and a parasite on society

>i'm much happier giving all my money to my landlord! i get to fuck a roastie every so often!
I wonder who could be behind these posts.

24 year old living at home here. There's no particular reason for me to move out. Obviously that's impossible due to my lack of secure income.

But why pay so I can be even more isolated? Makes more sense to save. Plus I don't have or want a girlfriend and thankfully I have no kids, so that's even more money saved.

The plan is just to save and fuck off somewhere alone. I made peace with the fact that I won't live The American Dream several months ago.

33 and living at home

but i make 90K a year

Liberak arts degrees are needed to support a classically liberal government

The AnCap meme is borderline mafia state

Please move to russia already

Not really. It's more of the bullshit of college degree. If you don't have a game plan your first year. There is a high chance you'll get fucked. You need to figure out a career path early and grind alot.

Also rent is expensive in the city

>work and pay taxes so they can be given to refugees to not work and not pay taxes

yea nah

I'm 27 and still live with my parents. I save 85% of my net income every year. Call me a degenerate, but I'll move out next year with a down payment on a house instead of renting.

Same here brother. I just try to save as much as i can from my meager paychecks as a cook for a shit condo that may or may not be in my future. Also the money i am not spending on rent is going to the lease on my sweeet SAAB 9-3 areo convert. Who needs to bring a woman home when you have a bad ass car to bang in?

22 and just graduated, start work July 3rd. I'm planning to live at home for at least most of the year, maybe get an apartment with some friends in October or November as landlords get more desperate. Although I could just stay at home for a while longer and keep saving money so I can get a house in a few years, I saved most of what I made during college and I have most of my loans paid off already.

youtube.com/watch?v=RI2Yt2lbMaA

moving out when you're 18 is a meme started by post ww2 globalist kikes

the more young people move out, the more they will spend

need new fridges, sofas, beds, mattresses, tables, and shit

if the avg family has three kids that moves out, thats three times more enrichment of globalist corps

Also, women are waiting longer to start looking for a husband and sometimes when they start their attractiveness is already starting to go down (30).

>first time in modern history
This was completely normal until like the later half of the 20th century. Boomers had it so good they literally can't even comprehend what it's like for things not to be like they were, they can't comprehend living paycheck to paycheck, student loans, rent being higher than minimum wage, all that stuff. They're why we have any of this "you're a loser if you live with your parents" crap in our culture even though it makes zero sense

34 year old reporting in from parent's house where live.

moved away right after highschool when college. lived on own for couple years sporadically afterward. Moved back in with folks about 9 years ago "temporarily." (though I hope to be out, soon as fuck & living with girlfriend) It's just so fucking hard these days to live on your own when your income is only about 60k, car payment, etc.

>60k
where I live, you could live a comfortable life with a house, car, and internet at $22k

what commie state do you live in?

>where I live, you could live a comfortable life with a house, car, and internet at $22k
What glorious state do you live in?

This. Me and a few cousins are thinking about buying a large fixer upper cheap farm somewhere in the eastern part of the country and live a more communial live. We'll all have a few rooms, but we'll split all the costs and live together on the same piece of land.

According to ou calculations, it would be much much cheaper.

who the fuck does not move out at 18-20? 20 is absolute latest.
I know south Euros are kinda strange in this regard but I just do not get it.

The average wage in the uk is 23k a year. I see all these americans crying about 60k not being enough..like...wat.

because there arent any jobs

it's pretty simple

Welfare state destroyed credit.

I know a lot of guys who moved out at 18 when they went to college. Most of them are now up to their necks in debt and student loans.

They'll forever be a debt slave because of "muh independancy!". Sure, it would have been good to do so about 50 years ago... but times have changed.

>I see all these americans crying about 60k not being enough..like...wat.

you have your numbers mixed up nobody says that in america

the average wage here is also like 23k a year

New Hampshire. Place sucks. It is not based at all contrary to what you may hear.

Just seems like there'd be no money left over for fun or travel once in a while.

300 square foot studio apartment in Portland, Oregon: $739 per month. And this is LOW INCOME HOUSING.

Probably some shithole like Mississippi or Louisiana.

The Midwest* is the best of both worlds, only slightly more expensive than southern shitholes while not having anywhere near the violent crime (read: dindus) or incest that the south does.

*Excluding Chicago which is the biggest cancer on planet Earth

Throughout history you had multiple generations living under one home. Moving out at 18 was almost exclusively a post-WWII thing. We're just returning to the norm, and it's a good thing. Families should stick together.

how the FUCK are there so many "Oh I want to move out but it's too hard?" responses from a FAR RIGHT political board?

I had zero financial support of any kind at any point and I've sustained myself this entire time alone with benefit of a college education or professional connections through family. I just worked shitty jobs two at a time until I had enough job experience to get marginal increases in wages/positions until now I'm not living paycheck to paycheck and skipping meals and I actually have health insurance

And I'm not even a particularly hard worker or motivated.
You fucks live lives that are in a direct contradiction to the philosophies you all feel so superior for following. None of you even begin to meet your own standards for what makes a human not shit

i meant without the benefit of a college education. I left home at 18 as soon as my senior year was done and that was that

>on good terms with my parents
>have a regular job
>housing is retardly expensive now
Why the fuck would I move out when I can just work full time, save/invest money, and live at home?