What is Sup Forums consensus on GMOs?

What is Sup Forums consensus on GMOs?

> /pol
> consensus

I represent all of Sup Forums.
They're great unless you're a braindead hippy who thinks genetically modified = science = chemicals = poison = bad.

not against since no serious study proved that they are armful.

Although the Pirate is not Sup Forums itself he certainly represented the true Words og pol right there.

GMO are Great and undoubtly safe

Over 2000 documents from hundreds of institutions have confirmed

Gmo's are as dangerous as organic

is there a serious study not paid by ((monstanto)) that prove GMOs are 100% safe?

They are ok. Toxics aren't.

There's nothing bad or harmful to eat GMO per se, it's just food, different nutrients oils and minerals packed together. The problem are the pesticides, needed to grow GMO, they are very toxic and can stay in the corn or the fruits and the impact on the fields. Another issue is the monopoly and the propietary crops than only big companies have a right to sell.

GMO crops need less pesticide if they are created to need less.
They are made sterile so that they will not breed with other plants, therefore creating some weird mixed plant.
>GMOs are the way to secure a future for our people and white babies Sup Forums?

The question you should be asking is do you trust the corporations that create GMO's?

>Do you trust Monsanto.

No.

necessary
agriculture wouldn't be able to support the human population without them

GMOs have been around since man began agriculture. Modern corn looks nothing like ancient corn because of human-directed genetic modification. Same with rice, wheat, etc. the only reason anyone freaks out about genetic engineering now is because we have found a way to speed up and even improve upon ancient agricultural practices. Why wait a hundred years to breed a cold resistant tomato when we know the genome we need to insert already?

The only reason people today are anti-GMO is because they are effectively luddites afraid of scientific progress and big scary words like genetic engineering. Similar to the anti-progress retards trying to inhibit technological advancement in developing countries because "muh carbon."

Source: I'm a biochemist who would love to work for one of those "evil" GMO companies and solve world hunger.

bullshit, for now the only crops that are mostly gmo are corn and soybean, the rest of the crops like potato or totato are mostly traditional, there are a low % of gmo origin ones.

nigger do you even know how much corn gets produced every year

sheeit nigga what about all the DNA in GMO food??
won't that fuck wit my genes and shit?

This.

But also this

With GMOs, you can go back to being kangz n sheit since GMOs can make food grow in shitty african sand

totally okay
i trust burger's magic

so u sayin we can be fayroes n sheit in africa?
dam nigga where can i get dem dere GMOs

This.

Also it's really popular to hate on GMOs when you are an elitist Jew liberal that wants everyone to buy fake organic produce at higher markups.

>trusting ((Monsanto™®))

Good goys

It's exactly the opposite on pesticides

The only reason Monsanto has such a monopoly is becuase dumbfuck liberals reeeeeee'd their brains out and put so much regulation on gene technologies that it's become incredibly difficult for a competitor to set up. I don't even work in GMO food and I still get fucked over by audits and the threat of government imposed shutdown regularly becuase spooky genetic engineering.

This is the nuclear thing all over again; science comes up with a relatively safe technology that is the prefect fit to a modern problem and some retard mummy blogger manages to shut it down becuase she shared something on aidsbook enough that her congressman magically gave a shit. Fuck this gay earth man.

Cross-breeding crops to get what you want and inserting them with genes in laboratory are not the same things you silly bugger

Necessary for our survival.

Long noses and fat cheques are behind it, so not to be trusted

But isn't the big problem (the one not talkes about by the leftists) is that by creating strains and not allowing them to evolve naturally, they have the potential to be obliterated when a new bacteria mutates from all the anti-bacteria properties found in food? It seems to be GMO's are "bad" insofar that they need to create different breeds of corn, wheat, soy...in order to prevent any devastating blights.
See the American Chestnut Tree blight

In the most hand-wavy way it is though. Kinda off topic but an interesting thing scientists have to do now is actually engineer a phenotype they want then locate genes in the wild type they need to accentuate via breeding to get around regs. They are less stable in the genome compared to engineering but hey it kinda works and Greenpeace won't shut you down.

>engineer a phenotype they want then locate genes in the wild type
You could have simplified that and said "engineer a genotype." What's your major? Literature?

Genotype doesn't explicitly equal phenotype, sometimes you need to modify cellular conditions to get the phenotype you want

Yeah man they just put the pesticides IN the plant. Totally safe!