Should the environment ever be protected, even if that means slowing "progress"?

Should the environment ever be protected, even if that means slowing "progress"?

Of course. We're not subhuman.

Do you want to breath clean air, have water and food that doesn't give you cancer and have a beautiful country rich in land and natural splender for your children's children to live upon? Or do you want to live in a toxic landfill third world shit hole so coke and gas companies and jews can keep can make 10% more money?

forgive the word salad. It's late and burger education rapidly decays towards the later hours.

Yes. It should be one of our highest goals. Think of all the unique information that exists on our planet in the form of DNA and life. We are living in one of the worst mass extinctions and all that precious information will be lost forever. Information spawned uniquely from billions of years of change

What are you? Some kind of degenerate?

How old would that tree have been?

Would you rather have clean air and non acidic rain not to even mention preserving your country's beauty ?
Or a dystopia where the government has to become increasingly authoritarian to halt the destruction of the environment.

At least a century old

I think we should use prisoners to force cleaning the planet and plant trees back in the forests for example

Scum cleans the Earth

Just because Trump got elected the US is not going to spray DDT or put lead back in paint or gas. More questionable areas is mercury in Flo lighting, do you want higher electricity generation for incadesent lights. Of course the environment needs to be protected from our ignorance.

far more than that my friend. Each little wrinkled line is approximately a year. Its several centuries if not older. Some of those redwoods have been around before the Americas were even discovered.

How many could that crew cut down? Regulated.

natural beauty is an essential ingredient of nationalist pride. So yes.

There are trees still living that were there when jesus christ was walking around

Through nature we understand ourselves, so it is in our best interest to take care of nature.

Plant two trees for each that is chopped down.

Without a properly working planet that sustains us, we are nothing. Wreck the planet and you wreck the ability for us to continue existing, to progress and to advance
It's very simple really.

>Should the environment ever be protected, even if that means slowing "progress"?

Yes, absolutely.
Environmentalism suffers greatly from its association with the left.

Preserving the natural environment is far more in line with right-wing thinking than left, being about long term thinking, stability and ensuring a future for our children.
The left's reasons for adopting it have become clear lately, with them using environmentalism to push the overpopulation meme and argue for global communism.

it shouldnt be protected for the sake of protecting the environment, however it should be protected if it makes humen live better

It just saddens me that so many corporate/conservative fuck-ups use the global warming false flag shit to ignore the actual environmentalism so their lobbyists/jews or personal investments can make more money in the short term.

As someone who grew up hiking in the national parks and enjoying the natural splender of my country, the lack of funds provided to its preservation and the active effort from both parties to use the land for oil and profit is just gross.

I want us to be energy independent too, but do they really have to shit all over or lands to do it. There are better ways, they just don't want to invest in the long term. Its all about the money now in their aging pockets.

These are one of the most depressing photographs, for me personally.

Those men are dead. Whatever was made from that tree has probably nearly all rotten away or been junked by now. Was it worth it, destroying thousands of years of ancient growth in an in a matter of hours? I would be ashamed to stand there.

I know, truly, it's just muh fee fees, and it's not necessarily related to protecting and serving the environment, but god damn.

Protecting and sustaining the environment IS progress

Getting off this planet should be the primary concern.
The nature should be preserved for only as long as we need it to stay alive

the good earth can and does provide, but we are merely temporary stewards and as such leaving an environment that can continue providing plenty for our descendants is of utmost importance

conservation is necessary in that aspect

"Progress" is a loaded word and a red herring in politics.

God has given humans the duty to be the caretaker of the world.

>It just saddens me that so many corporate/conservative fuck-ups use the global warming false flag shit to ignore the actual environmentalism
Yeah, it pisses me off.
Meanwhile the left has commandeered environmentalism completely, and I struggle to remember the last time I heard about an environmental issue that wasn't fucking climate change.
What about just general pollution, like we used to hear about before everything became MUH GLOBAL WARMING?

I swear somebody could be pumping raw sewage into a river and nobody would pay any attention because it's not releasing carbon into the atmosphere.

only resources that cannot be renewed faster than can be used need to be protected

I live near the beach, its basically once a month there is a sewage spill or the beach is closed for a few days because its littered with medical waste (needles and shit) because the fuck heads in charge of keep things out of the ocean aren't regulated.

There's so much smog in LA at all times that the only time you can see the mountains or anything past them is just after a rain or intense wind storm. And that just lets you know all that brown toxic shit is now on the ground from the rain.

Yet nothing is done. 90's liberalism was all about fixing this kind of shit, what happened? wheres our faggy captain planet to save us? lol

I agree to an extent.
But there's still cultural value in some things though. Any culture that actively has no regard for thing outside of just "useful" and "not useful" is soulless and missing the point of being a successful human society.

Mind you, we don't need to preserve every stick and stone, but there needs to be things in place to prevent shitters from dumping their trash on a land mark or destroying a 3 million year old rock iconic rock structure.

>There's so much smog in LA at all times that the only time you can see the mountains or anything past them is just after a rain or intense wind storm. And that just lets you know all that brown toxic shit is now on the ground from the rain.

This annoys me to no end.
I don't give a fuck if the planet is heating up or not, that sort of shit isn't acceptable.
Real life shouldn't have fog like an N64 game.
You should be able to see more than a few miles away.

And of course, white people as a group are the only ones who come close to giving an actual fuck about the environment, and for some reason we're doing everything we can to raise the populations in the third world and import them here so they can literally shit up the place.

While usually/pol/ is nothing but a laughing stock to me, today you all made me proud, and gave me hope in humanity. Thank you

yes. Wtf does progress even mean? humanity is not on some linear path to reach an ultimate end goal. Whats the point of a strong economy if you live in a shithole

It's the secular version of primordial debt. Just a stuipd meme.

Tough question.

The world is changing by itself. Higher order life on Earth will come to an end eventually, most probably because of giant space object slamming into it. The true problem of environment protection (both locally and globally) is to prevent environment from changing rapidly.

Part of this change can be prevented, another part can't. If it is known that something would cause significant degradation of quality of resources even locally (water, fauna, whatever) it should be prevented. If it is known that something would cause rapid ecosystem change it should be prevented unless you want people to loose their food or income.

Environment care is not embedded into capitalism (unless all members of capitalistic society are experienced scientists) and should be enforced.

Fuck "progress" in the ass without lube. Progress is simply code for raping the land for a buck, or taking away your rights in the name of protecting rights.

I always think that those people were stupid. And I was right. (Fuck yes, they could have felled smaller trees.)

Progress is meaningless if the people are not happy. And noone is happy in a polluted concrete jungle. What we call progress is some people we don't know or like getting rich.
We haven't had real progress in a century, but we've done unprecedented damage to OUR enviornment.

If you define progress in such a stupid way that it would destroy the environment, then yes.

yes, otherwise we will all die

>even if that means slowing "progress"?

Rather slow down (((progress))) now than having to waste progress, billions of currency and large amounts of resources later on trying to un-fuck the planet (and eventually fail and get extinct).