$1.5B U.S. Aegis vessel collides with a container ship

>Filipino container ship hardly damaged
>U.S. Aegis vessel completely rekt
>captain of Aegis vessel airlifted to hospital
>7 soldiers missing

Sailors* you fucking civie.

At least we didn't have to buy our sailors back with pallets of cash in random currencies this time.

>Filipino container ship hardly damaged
MOST

>7 soldiers missing

the sailors are probably just chilling in the engine room.

The destroyer must have been made in China

no one cares

so a civilian merchant ship has the capacity to take down a military warship?

kek

yes, these aren't battleships that could take a pounding and keep going. These would probably sink if you looked at them too harshly.

idiots

inb4 new trend: ships of peace

That "Civilian Merchant Ship" is over ten times the size of the American Destroyer, and weighs nearly 300,000 tons.

Imagine a bike getting hit by a dump truck.

a civilian merchant ship has the capacity to take down most things

Not when they blow it's ass out of the water with a missile from over the horizon

First, it sailors, not soldiers
2nd, modern warships are not exactly designed to take impacts.
do you comprehend the amount of force a cargo ship has while it is in motion?

>survives direct hit from yuge cargo ship, travels to port under her own power
USA USA USA
>USA USA USA
USA USA USA
>USA USA
USA USA USA

If the merchant ship weighs four times as much as the navy ship, yes

Or under that crushed hull.

Hate to be the officers on that ship.

Former merchant mariner here

Whoever was captain on the Filipino boat is gonna spend 50 years in prison

A civilian merchant ship can take out entire bridges.

Hell, a LNG tanker could take out a city.

well, proves that they are invisible to radar.

because thats how those cargo ships see/drive

american navy btfo
cargo ships are more effective in the ancient battle technique of ramming
7 dead sailors and they forfeited the battle
how will they ever recover?

Imagine the media if we would have shot at the merchant ship

>hardly damaged
looks pretty fucked to me as well

Why would he? The smaller vessel should have obviously stayed out of the way, it was endangering global trade.

North Korea Hack or paid off the captain. 1st shot of WW3!

Yep

Just glad the one time we had a issue it was in port and the pilot got fucked, not us.

The only sailing OP has ever done was his water wings in the pool.

What kind of back woods "city" do you come from?

How does this even happen in the middle of the huge fucking ocean?!

Yes, because is the humongous immovable ship's fault, not the retarded navy with overpowered engine and radar that should move the fuck out a kilometre away

Irrelevant. Both ships experience the same force during the impact. If the bicycle was made of steel and the dump truck of popsicle sticks then the truck would break despite weighting more.

>small, super agile, state of the art warship with cutting edge sensors, radars and communications systems

>giant, loud as fuck, slow cargo ship that's cumbersome to move

Blames the cargo-ship. KEK fucking classic yank. When a war does kick off, you guys are going to get found out really quick; if you cant detect a 220,000 tonne boat on the surface how will you detect an enemy submarine...

Whoever is Captain of the Navy vessel is probably going to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair, thank god.

Wish all the American pig gay sailors had died but you can't always be lucky

>Whoever was captain on the Filipino boat is gonna spend 50 years in prison
Why? The Fitzgerald was hit in the starboard side, which means the ACX Crystal had the right of way. This is on the Navy.

>force=mass x acceleration
>mass of container ship is yugeeeeee

A Russian ship sunk a few weeks ago under similar circumstances in the black sea

the fuck are you even talking about?

holy fuck that analogy is gonna make me shut down the internet for the rest of this weekend

don't make trouble in my sea pl0x

Nope, flip ship is gonna be fine. USN is gonna have that destroyer captain's balls for dinner though.

please get hit by 3 tons of popsicle sticks and tell me about it

Most folks do not understand it, but it up to both ships to avoid the collision.

So for example, lets say I am a large cargo ship and I see a small trawler that might get close. The officer on watch needs to go on the radio, IDyourself, give your speed and heading, and inform the trawler and so on. If you have a collision outside of the controlled waters of a harbor, both ships are at fault.

People here don't know you're not allowed to get close to military vessels

That's not the point.

The ship that got hit is an Aegis ship.

Aegis ship has an insane amount of radars, sonars, sensors, cameras, etc. and is able to move around quickly in water.

It should have detected the container ship from tens of miles away and either warned the container ship to change course or moved out of the way if the ship was getting too close.

mexican physics

Those ships are not made to hit another ships. The cargo ship would have been btfo by a torpedo and sunk in one minute.

Why don't we just put the missiles on a cargo ship? Lmao

The commanding officers were immediately removed and left in a helicopter. They'll be reprimanded after routine diversity training and sensitivity screening to make sure they aren't bigoted

America is so sad and pathetic.

Deadweight tonnage will always win in a fender bender at sea. At least it wasn't a navy aluminum can (LCS)

T. merchant mariner

>hull breach
>hardly damaged

Ice-breakers confirmed masters of the sea, marines btfo.

what the fuck...

Shipping container with tons of shipping containers = huge truck with heavy load

Vessel = corvette

Truck with load slams into corvette. Who do you think will take more damage you fucking retard?

mexican intellectuals are real. thought it was just a meme

Fucking kek

its like a real life example of why that stupid shitty scene in starwars where that faggot rebel shit pushes a stardestroyer into another stardestroyer is retarded as all fuck

>All those retard and shills who claim the US destroyer captain is at fault for this

Just looking at the picture I can tell instantly that its the cargo who is at fault, just because the destroyed got it on its side while the cargo took it head on. destroyer surely tried to give way but the idiotic philipino captain with his overloaded cargo didn't see shit and/or only saw him when they were already on collision course, because those boat don't turn on a penny and might even need a km or more of headstart as to properly swerve.

>so a civilian merchant ship has the capacity to take down a military warship?

More like when two mass of metal both weighting many hundred tons collide with one another and have no mean to diffuse the kinetic energy from the impact, you get scrap metal. No boat can take the bow of another boat head on without any damages, especially in modern times where boats are powered by mechanical engines that have constant output.

You're literally playing into the 'mexican intellectuals' meme right now...

I hope you're trolling.

Fact: Philippine's container ships are the strongest in the world

A LNG tanker fully loaded has as much as 30 million gallons of LNG. the explosion/fire could burn people a mile away.

LNG tankers and Cargo holds full of nitrates are the two things that can wreck a city.

Front of ship vs. side of ship.

ohhhh what i would give to cut out your tongue.

If you drive some little motorboat in front of a large ship with little chances to avoid any collisions it's only your fault if damages happen.

LNG is liquified natural gas, you backwoods nigger

There is no "right of way" in the open sea. This isn't sailboats. Both ships are going to be at fault.

WTF, something else must be going on here beyond what we're being fed. Can we get our top autists on this case right away?

No in any accident on the water based on international rules you either A) Didn't follow the rules B) Didn't practice good seaman ship or C) Both. Either way you're fucked.

nice vague word that doesn't convey that the people were part of a military

>mexican intellectuals
Ancient ship warfare, they would try and ram the enemy ship on the side, becuase that the weakest side.

But it wouldn't destroy an entire city. It might damage the the city it a couple mile radius, but that's why I asked what kind of tiny ass city you came from.

Look at the picture mongoloid, the merchant ship is taller. The bow crushed down onto the deck of the carrier. Who designs a ship with the intention of a huge mass crashing into the deck?
I still don't get how they ran into each other but I don't think shoddy engineering caused anything to crumple.

Learn to physics you dumb spic

i, for one, welcome our new filipino overlords

its a huge fucking freighter against a military spec corvette, guess which one is more nimble and should be doing the avoiding

if a speedboat ends up under the hull of a cruiser whose fault is it?

Then we could say the captain made a tactical mistake there : )

You might be shocked on the rules of the sea. Unless the cargo ship does all it can to avoid the collision they are going to be fucked too.

Don't get me wrong, the CO will get cashiered. The master of the cargo ship is also going to get fucked since he will not able able to prove he did everything he could to avoid the collision.

>Bulwarks bent in
>Denting along the hull
>Not even hold

Insider fact: the whole bow of the ship is a separated, watertight compartment. Like a crumple zone in a car, it's designed to be destroyed and still allow the ship to get home. That ship can still get to port, discharge cargo, and then head to shipyard for a quick multi-million dollar tuneup

Wait, modern destroyers aren't build to ram other ships?
Fucking noobs

I sometime play World of Warships, you know how a train cannot immediatley stop like a car? Well it is the same thing with ships except its ten times worse, so by the time the captains of both ships realised they would crash, it was probably way too late.

Ok, I don't know the first thing about navigating a ship or anything like that but can someone explain to me how such a collision can actually happen?

I mean, I assume ships today mostly use 'technical devices' to navigate, but shouldn't there be at least some guy that actually looks out the window every once in a while to see if there are any ships nearby?

I assume that large ships are not very manoeuvrable, but at some point somebody should realize that there is a huge container ship on a collision course and maybe we should start to communicate, and see what's what.

CLEARLY, this is the work of RUSSIAN HACKERS! No way American crew could do this on their own. FUCKING RUSSIAN HACKERS hacked the ship and collided with that other ship!

stop typing you incredible fucktard

But considering the sensors on the navy ship. What the fuck were they up to? Did some young officer refuse to move his big dick out of the way of a civilian ship until it was too late to do it effectively? Or was he asleep after a night of rum and buttfucking just like the guy on duty on the container ship?

>pushing a disabled ship through vacuum
>ramming a ship with a fifty foot draft

Totally comparable.

yes but the destroyer is 10x as maneuverable as the tanker, obviously the military captain was trying to force tanker captain to move or some macho BS.

mexican intellectual strikes again

what happened

>warning, we cannot turn
>THIS IS A US NAVY MARINES URAH SHIP YOU WILL GET OUT THE WAY
>we literally cannot change course
>LAST WARNING BEFORE WE FIRE WE ARE THE US NAVY FUCK

ect

Fuck off nigger faggot

Both boats. You're a fuckin idiot. How did your ancestors even have a navy when they spawned retards such as yourself?

>There is no "right of way" in the open sea.
Yeah there is. It's called the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea.
Section 15. Crossing situations:
>When two power-driven vessels are crossing, the vessel which has the other on the starboard side must give way and avoid crossing ahead of her.

This is sailing 101 tbqh

For example, here is the 4th largest port.

everyoen within one mile burns, everything within 2 miles is fucked.

That most of that port.

Nightime,poor visibilty, not using proper lights and sound signals, human error. The radar operator could have it set to 50 miles but it's really at 4. So they wouldn't see a ship closing in on a steady bearing as a threat.

How did this even happen? I mean like move outta the way nigga damn

This was set up. The Fitzgerald was scheduled to be de-commisioned soon. The US navy allowed china to test a sonic weapon they have been developing for use against large ships.

Looks like the container ship ran into it.

Just a shame you have no clue how to pilot a ship.

I really wish normies would stop pretending they know about our industry and stay the fuck on land.